What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martz......... (1 Viewer)

So instead of 'going for two' all the time, the Saints will be known for having no timeouts or 'challenge reviews' after the 1st and 3rd quarters.

No way, unless he gets, HC/OC/GM/VIP/VP/HMFIC, etc, a dump truck full of money and a lifetime supply of Mylanta

just talk but who else would want him?Saints could be good in the dome with martz

Perhaps the 4 or 5 other teams who are interviewing him?Perhaps a team that wants one of the best offensive minds in football?

Perhaps a team that wants a coach who has taken his team to the playoffs in over half his seasons as coach and gone to a super bowl?

Who else would want that?

just talk but who else would want him?Saints could be good in the dome with martz

Raiders for one I think would LOVE to have anything that resembles an offensive mind set.

funny thought occurred to me:Martz offense with:Brooks at QB and precise route-runners Horn and Stallworth. If so, expect AZ Hakin to produce.

Raiders for one I think would LOVE to have anything that resembles an offensive mind set.
:goodposting: Martz to the Raiders would be an intriguing match.....
Don't know if they'll keep Collins but his strength is the long ball. They've got Moss and haven't used him wisely - that might change if Martz went there. Seems like a good match. Porter - the Raiders best and hardest working receiver IMO - might also really get a chance to shine. Well, after all that, I hope New Orleans hires him. I really don't want the Raiders to win. :no:

I remember reading that Al Davis is concerned over Martz's health issues. Could be a factor in him not being considered.

I expect Martz to go to Houston (although they may be closing in on Kubiak). I think he'd be a perfect fit there. He would help Bush reach his potential, probably better than any other coach. (Faulk's two huge years both came under Martz). Andre Johnson would finally be able to emerge as a stud WR, and I know Martz was high on David Carr before the draft. If Martz can turn undrafted guys like Kurt Warner and Trent Green (along with 6th round pick IIRC Bulger) into Pro Bowlers, I'd expect he could do it with Carr too. I think Martz would excel in Houston.

I expect Martz to go to Houston (although they may be closing in on Kubiak). I think he'd be a perfect fit there. He would help Bush reach his potential, probably better than any other coach. (Faulk's two huge years both came under Martz). Andre Johnson would finally be able to emerge as a stud WR, and I know Martz was high on David Carr before the draft. If Martz can turn undrafted guys like Kurt Warner and Trent Green (along with 6th round pick IIRC Bulger) into Pro Bowlers, I'd expect he could do it with Carr too. I think Martz would excel in Houston.
:goodposting: And Martz loves playing on turf.

As someone who has seen a lot of Martz the past few years (I live in St. Louis), I honestly feel that he will not be leading any NFL franchises to the promised land. He is a brilliant offensive coordinator, but is sadly lacking in a number of skills required by a head coach. Specifically,1) He doesn't care enough about little things like defense and special teams (which are usually important come play-off time).2) He doesn't have the "people skills" to deal effectively with the press, fans, front office, players, etc.3) He is not a good coach on gameday. He can't manage the clock or get plays in fast enough to avoid stupid time-outs in the 1st and 3rd quarters. He makes his decisions on fourth down based purely on his "gut" instinct and has recently showed an inability to effectively adjust his game plan to what the defense is doing.Most importantly, the NFL has finally adjusted to his offensive schemes. Specifically, so many people are running routes that there simply isn't enough protection for the QB. Injuries to Warner's thumb turned one of the most accurate and deadly passers I have ever seen into just another decent QB, and Bulger missed half the season this year.I truly miss the "greatest show on turf", but for all of the above reasons, I think it is unlikely to be revived anywhere else in the NFL under the direction of Head Coach Mike Martz.

Martz needs a QB with a very high football IQ. I don't think Oakland or New Orleans are good fits. Did any of you see the segment Jaworski did on some of Martz' plays? As an example, Bulger calls a play and goes to the line of scrimmage not knowing whether it is a pass or run. He does not audible and takes the snap still not knowing whether it is a pass or run. The 0-line, WRs, and RBs are in the same boat. The ball is snapped and it is now up to Bulger to decide to run (a draw) by handing off to Jackson, who doesn't know if he is carrying the ball or running a screen pattern. The WRs are running routes they can break off for screen blocking if it is handed off. The line is draw blocking but releasing for the possible screen pass to Jackson. With all this going on Bulger fakes the handoff after reading the LBs and fires a pass to Holt. This play can be a post to Holt, a slant to Bruce, a screen to Jackson, or a draw to Jackson, and they don't know which it is until the ball is snapped and Bulger makes the read. It's crazy, and this is just one example. Martz is a mad scientist and his QB needs to be very bright. No wonder they drafted the kid from Harvard.

he was on the Dan Patrick show today. he'll be a HC in 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take Martz in GreenBay, but it's not really a very good fit. I think Houston is the perfect fit for him. Oakland is not. I don't see he and Al Davis playing very nice together.

Oaktown may be perfect for Martz. Al Davis would keep Mike's ego in check while Martz has a very talented offense to work with.

He just said on the Dan Patrick show today that he will be coaching in 2006 and so far NO is the only team to contact him. I'm a St. Louis homer and a Martz fan, even though he's alittle nutz. I'm calling right now he will end up in Houston and take them to atleast a .500 record next year. He will be enamored with the oppurtunity to have a Reggie Bush and Carr and Aj for the primes of their careers. In 2 years we'll have a new best show on turf.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Detroit as a destination for him? Turf, good group of receivers, good running back, sign Kurt Wrner to a free agent contract and add some line and he has everything he needs in an offense.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Detroit as a destination for him? Turf, good group of receivers, good running back, sign Kurt Wrner to a free agent contract and add some line and he has everything he needs in an offense.
Beat me to it. This is exactly where I was seeing him going.

I don't see it. He wouldn't like the qb situation which is very important to him. The big wr's aren't his style either he like like speed not height. Jones is definetly not the rb he's be looking to get either. I'm telling you all it's Texans.

NO's offense isn't THAT bad, really. Get a more consistent QB than Brooks, work on the O-line more, and you've got that down. Martz wouldn't be a horrible fit in NO. Now that defense................. :shock:

He just said on the Dan Patrick show today that he will be coaching in 2006 and so far NO is the only team to contact him. I'm a St. Louis homer and a Martz fan, even though he's alittle nutz. I'm calling right now he will end up in Houston and take them to atleast a .500 record next year. He will be enamored with the oppurtunity to have a Reggie Bush and Carr and Aj for the primes of their careers. In 2 years we'll have a new best show on turf.
:goodposting:

As someone who has seen a lot of Martz the past few years (I live in St. Louis), I honestly feel that he will not be leading any NFL franchises to the promised land. He is a brilliant offensive coordinator, but is sadly lacking in a number of skills required by a head coach. Specifically,

1) He doesn't care enough about little things like defense and special teams (which are usually important come play-off time).

2) He doesn't have the "people skills" to deal effectively with the press, fans, front office, players, etc.

3) He is not a good coach on gameday. He can't manage the clock or get plays in fast enough to avoid stupid time-outs in the 1st and 3rd quarters. He makes his decisions on fourth down based purely on his "gut" instinct and has recently showed an inability to effectively adjust his game plan to what the defense is doing.

Most importantly, the NFL has finally adjusted to his offensive schemes. Specifically, so many people are running routes that there simply isn't enough protection for the QB. Injuries to Warner's thumb turned one of the most accurate and deadly passers I have ever seen into just another decent QB, and Bulger missed half the season this year.

I truly miss the "greatest show on turf", but for all of the above reasons, I think it is unlikely to be revived anywhere else in the NFL under the direction of Head Coach Mike Martz.
Very :goodposting:

:goodposting: Detroit is the perfect place for Martz. Even Harrington could become a player under Martz

:goodposting: Martz to the Raiders would be an intriguing match.....
Don't know if they'll keep Collins but his strength is the long ball. They've got Moss and haven't used him wisely - that might change if Martz went there. Seems like a good match. Porter - the Raiders best and hardest working receiver IMO - might also really get a chance to shine. Well, after all that, I hope New Orleans hires him. I really don't want the Raiders to win. :no:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Martz was on Dan Patrick today talking about his interview with the Saints. He was going on and on about how great Vince Young was and how he would like to have that kind of talent to coach....hmmmm hate to speculate but Martz does have the #2 pick in the draft in New Orleans if he goes there. He works wonders with QB. I think he would be great for the Saints, same with Young. I said it in another thread that Young is perfect for New Orleans, he would bring new life to that place and to that team. He ralley's the troops. He is a motivator and a great leader and with a nice cast of receivers and a good RB in New Orleans, Young and Martz could be just what New Orleans needs. :thumbup:

martz goes to the Raiders and they will keep collins.
Good, from a Raider fan prospective. Martz will get Collins killed and we can find a big-armed QB w/ a little more common sense-ie passes of 15 yds or less to TEs and FBs thrown UNDER 80mph (I know 80 is overblown so spare me the rhetoric). A QB that can learn to look and throw to more than just his favorite WR in that particular game would be good too. Oh yeah, while I'm making my wish list, would that QB also be able to throw the ball AWAY instead of into triple coverage? Bring on Walter!

Martz needs a QB with a very high football IQ.  I don't think Oakland or New Orleans are good fits. 

Did any of you see the segment Jaworski did on some of Martz' plays?  As an example, Bulger calls a play and goes to the line of scrimmage not knowing whether it is a pass or run.  He does not audible and takes the snap still not knowing whether it is a pass or run.  The 0-line, WRs, and RBs are in the same boat.  The ball is snapped and it is now up to Bulger to decide to run (a draw) by handing off to Jackson, who doesn't know if he is carrying the ball or running a screen pattern.  The WRs are running routes they can break off for screen blocking if it is handed off.  The line is draw blocking but releasing for the possible screen pass to Jackson.  With all this going on Bulger fakes the handoff after reading the LBs and fires a pass to Holt.  This play can be a post to Holt, a slant to Bruce, a screen to Jackson, or a draw to Jackson, and they don't know which it is until the ball is snapped and Bulger makes the read.  It's crazy, and this is just one example.  Martz is a mad scientist and his QB needs to be very bright.  No wonder they drafted the kid from Harvard.
I agree with alot of this. Brooks, according to many, is gone from NO. I don't see anyone there or available FAs that can compare to Bulger or Warner. It's a very disciplinned complex offense and the QB hits his targets very quick on most plays. I think Kerry would feel like he was re-inventing the wheel or nitpicking and be frustrated. I'll wait and see if Kerry rejoins Fassel somewhere even if just to hold a spot for a youngster.As for Martz, the poor guy is in for a rude awakenning wherever he goes. I mean Bruce and Holt are either going to the HOF or on pace to and so top top top notch WRs. Faulk could go to the HOF. Warner, like it or not, was an NFL MVP and his career QB rating is higher than any other active player. He has had a season or two that few QBs could replicate. Orlando Pace is another arguable HOFer. At times, on D it was as if he had the Tampa D giftwrapped and handed to him. He had it good in St. Louie.

IMO as things changed with the Rams, he wasn't able to adjust and that cost him his job eventually. I don't see how a man with a 600 play playbook filled with little intricacies will be comfy in Houston where it almost doesn't matter what play you run because within a second the QB is gonna be smacked. Plus I'd bet he misses Pace so badly and well hasn't Houston been almost begging for a Tackle the last few years? In Oakland, Moss might be of similar or better talent than Moss+Bruce but will he be a disciplinned enough route runner and extra studious in the offseason to pickup all these plays? Martz prides himself on having one of the most complex systems in the NFL. IMO a new coach has to bring in a simple gameplan and then build upon that. I don't foresee see "simple gameplan" and "Martz" doing well together.

I don't think there's any way in the world Millen would hire Martz.
Probably not, he wouldn't want a HC that is a bigger idiot about football that him. Canyou see the war room? All it would list would be their 30 choices at WR. And, whoever said Martz wouldn't like the receivers. He's got 3 Torry Holts there in Williams, Williams and Rogers. Tall, with speed, and hands. Jones isn't Marshall Faulk, but he sure is a lot like Stephen Jackson. I think the players a good fit. I just can't see Millen hiring him.

If Martz does go to the Texans, then I'll predict right now that Jerome Mathis will become the player to outperform his ADP the most. Think of Kevin Curtis all over again, only faster.The problem with Houston or Detroit, obviously, is offensive lines that need a major infusion of talent. I don't think either one will get to where they want/need to be in one offseason.

Right now, it seems like only NO has been asking about Martz, so unless one of these other teams jumps in the fray, the Oakland/Detroit/Houston talk may be all for naught.

martz to the saints would be entertaining at least and (contrary to what he says about young) matt leinart would be the perfect fit in his offensei do agree with 23psychos post on page 1 though...he isn't going to lead any team back to the super bowl

martz to the saints would be entertaining at least and (contrary to what he says about young) matt leinart would be the perfect fit in his offense

i do agree with 23psychos post on page 1 though...he isn't going to lead any team back to the super bowl
I think it will be understood that they are taking Young before any coach hires on.New Orleans is the perfect place for him because no one expects them to go to a Superbowl.

:goodposting: And Martz loves playing on turf.
Houston, turf? :confused: Martz to NO or OAK

martz to the saints would be entertaining at least and (contrary to what he says about young) matt leinart would be the perfect fit in his offense
I agree. If Martz does go to NO, it would certainly make me consider keeping Stallworth.

I agree. If Martz does go to NO, it would certainly make me consider keeping Stallworth.
Just think about it....Lienart doesn't fit what the Saints need. He is a pretty boy California surfer looking guy. How is he going to relate to the people of New Orleans? Vince Young is a young African American player from the South that the people of that area can relate to. He is exciting and will be just the spark that team needs. Lienart will be an average at best QB and even if Lienart pans out, he just doesn't seem like a good fit for the team and the city.

Martz to be OC for the Patriots. Belichick has said himself in the book by Michael Holly that he believe Martz is a tremendous offensive mind.

Just think about it....Lienart doesn't fit what the Saints need. He is a pretty boy California surfer looking guy. How is he going to relate to the people of New Orleans? Vince Young is a young African American player from the South that the people of that area can relate to. He is exciting and will be just the spark that team needs. Lienart will be an average at best QB and even if Lienart pans out, he just doesn't seem like a good fit for the team and the city.
So the fans couldnt relate to Peyton Manning or Tom Brady ? That talk is crap. :penalty:

Martz was on Dan Patrick today talking about his interview with the Saints. He was going on and on about how great Vince Young was and how he would like to have that kind of talent to coach....hmmmm hate to speculate but Martz does have the #2 pick in the draft in New Orleans if he goes there. He works wonders with QB. I think he would be great for the Saints, same with Young. I said it in another thread that Young is perfect for New Orleans, he would bring new life to that place and to that team. He ralley's the troops. He is a motivator and a great leader and with a nice cast of receivers and a good RB in New Orleans, Young and Martz could be just what New Orleans needs. :thumbup:
:goodposting: As a Saints fan I would welcome Martz to the dome - sure he is erratic at times but he is one of the best offensive minds out there and I love what he could do with the team. I am sure that if Martz does come to NO he will get a stipulation where Benson gives him more control and make Benson open his wallet a little more. Benson is a cheap-### to the highest degree. I dont doubt Martz would take Young over Leinhart but it just seems that Leinhart is the type of QB that Martz is used to.

Anyway - Martz might not lead the Saints to the Superbowl but hey us Saints fans are used to it :bag:

So the fans couldnt relate to Peyton Manning or Tom Brady ? That talk is crap. :penalty:
Quite possibly one of the dumbest posts I have read. Either you are saying Lienart is as good as Brady and Manning or you are just dumb. Of course if the Saints could have an all ready established pro QB they would take them but I beleive those guys are all ready locked up. My point was that Young would be a better fit for the community, the city, the team, and he is just as good as Lienart, if not better.

Users who are viewing this thread