What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Jones (1 Viewer)

Folks gonna chase those 4 TDs or believe that this has Eddie Royal written all over it?
I think the talent is there to be a must add, but there's enough Eddie Royal-ness that I will not be spending big FAAB (or #1 waiver) to get him.

He ran 18 routes, vs. 29 for Sanu. I don't think CIN will run enough 3-WR sets for him to get enough targets for him to be a consistent WR3. The Sanu injury may change things, but it doesn't seem really serious at this point. It seems evident enough to us that he should take over the starting role, but hasn't the same thing been said in the Gio/BJGE thread? I can see him getting more snaps at WR2, but I'm skeptical that a full on starting lineup switch is set to take place, unless Sanu misses significant time.

Also, I don't believe Dalton keeps this pace up. Partially because I think he's just hot right now, but also because I don't think it's what this team wants to do. The offense will generate enough red zone opportunities for Jones to score, but I don't think 6-8 rec and 80 yds/week is really in the cards on a consistent basis for Jones.
Isn't it plausible that Jones's emergence has something to do with Dalton's recent surge? Eli Manning was never considered much of a FF QB, until Victor Cruz arrived on the scene. It's impetuous to categorically dismiss Dalton as a QB2-kinda-guy this season because that's "who he is"... especially when a guy like Jones is flashing and assaulting the record books.

And the 2nd part of that statement I just don't get... would they prefer that Dalton just stay a game manager?

I really don't think Eddie Royal is a good comparison. We had five years of data on Eddie Royal, and he'd never caught more than 4 TDs in a year, and didn't show the ability to do much more. He looked, at best, like a solid posession receiver. He didn't look impressive in his big game earlier this year, he just happened to get the ball at the goal line.

Jones' strongest quality is his ability to adjust his body, especially to badly thrown balls. He got a lot of that at Cal. He's decently fast and quick, quite good at catching a ball on a stop or hook route and quickly pivoting to shake the defender. He's also pretty strong for a wideout. His hands are only average; he's better at catching badly thrown balls than well-thrown balls.

I'm trying to think of a good comp. A somewhat less athletic, much less blockheaded Kenny Britt? Actually, Chad Johnson back in the day is a pretty good comparison.

Folks gonna chase those 4 TDs or believe that this has Eddie Royal written all over it?
I think the talent is there to be a must add, but there's enough Eddie Royal-ness that I will not be spending big FAAB (or #1 waiver) to get him.

He ran 18 routes, vs. 29 for Sanu. I don't think CIN will run enough 3-WR sets for him to get enough targets for him to be a consistent WR3. The Sanu injury may change things, but it doesn't seem really serious at this point. It seems evident enough to us that he should take over the starting role, but hasn't the same thing been said in the Gio/BJGE thread? I can see him getting more snaps at WR2, but I'm skeptical that a full on starting lineup switch is set to take place, unless Sanu misses significant time.

Also, I don't believe Dalton keeps this pace up. Partially because I think he's just hot right now, but also because I don't think it's what this team wants to do. The offense will generate enough red zone opportunities for Jones to score, but I don't think 6-8 rec and 80 yds/week is really in the cards on a consistent basis for Jones.
Isn't it plausible that Jones's emergence has something to do with Dalton's recent surge? Eli Manning was never considered much of a FF QB, until Victor Cruz arrived on the scene. It's impetuous to categorically dismiss Dalton as a QB2-kinda-guy this season because that's "who he is"... especially when a guy like Jones is flashing and assaulting the record books.

And the 2nd part of that statement I just don't get... would they prefer that Dalton just stay a game manager?
You're right, my statement was not based on any in-depth analysis or even game film study. It was a broad take based on generalizations I'm making about Dalton and Marvin Lewis. But I stand by my gut call. I don't think they want him to be a game manager, but I don't think they want to be the Falcons. I think they want to run a balanced offense, with a little more emphasis on the run.

As for the Manning comparison, outside of 2011, Eli has been what he is, which is a high-end QB2, low-end QB1. And Dalton would be jumping two tiers if he became a high-end QB2, low-end QB1. Could Jones be this year's Cruz, and take Dalton with him (or vice versa)? Possibly. I'm just skeptical at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Jones did. I picked him up last week in a couple leagues on FBG's recommendation. But I'm definitely testing the market, in both redraft and keeper, and would probably take a deal that would be considered a little too low based on his potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Sanu really doesn't go and Jones sees close to a full compliment of snaps I don't see how he doesn't produce. I mean, with a full compliment of snaps last week he would have scored 12 TDs easy. :lol:

Yeah, I have almost no choice but to start him in my flex. With both Ellington and Randle on byes. Obviously not hoping for anything near last week. I'd be perfectly content with even like 2 receptions/30 yards/1 TD

Miami is ranked 30th FFPA to WRs. Only 1 TD allowed all year.

They're 24th in FFPA to QBs.

They have been very kind to RBs, 4th FFPA tol RBs. 9 TDs allowed.

They have also been very kind to TE's, 2nd most FFPA, including 6 TDs. So maybe start Eifert and Gresham.

(FFT)

Bengals activated Hawkins today.
I believe Hawkins is primarily going to be used in the slot.

Miami is ranked 30th FFPA to WRs. Only 1 TD allowed all year.

They're 24th in FFPA to QBs.

They have been very kind to RBs, 4th FFPA tol RBs. 9 TDs allowed.

They have also been very kind to TE's, 2nd most FFPA, including 6 TDs. So maybe start Eifert and Gresham.

(FFT)
Very good points (stats) but after MOP created that thread highlighting the presumed implosion of MIA as a whole I'm thinking all CIN skill position players are worth looking at this week. Personally, I'm opting to stay away but the possibility of Jones receiving a full compliment of snaps makes him worthy of flex consideration regardless of the match-up.

With D.Thomas on bye, I'm going with the All-Cal WR/TE corps; Gonzo, K.Allen, and M.Jones, over Tate, J.Simpson, J.Cameron.

Sitting him in favor of AJ Green, TY Hilton and Keenan Allen. Tempted to throw him in there for Hilton as a hedge play (also starting dalton this week).

Good luck to you people starting Jones. Remember that Hawkins AND Sanu are going as well.
I've been playing Jones the last two weeks due to injury and byes and I just don't want to take him out of my lineup. It basically comes down to Marvin Jones vs T Rich or Ridley for me (in PPR). I think I'm starting Jones tonight, but I'm afraid I've got my Kool-Aid Goggles on after he single handedly won my matchup last week.

Good luck to you people starting Jones. Remember that Hawkins AND Sanu are going as well.
Is this the same Sanu that is barely getting 5 pts a game in a PPR league the last few weeks? Hmmm ok

And is this the same Hawkins who has done nothing this year? Hmmmm ok

Vs a guy who just scored 4 TDs? LOL .... thanks for the advice

I'll roll with him again. He's done well with Sanu anyway, and he might be limited. Hawkins is a slot guy and will hopefully affect the TE's more than anything. Plus, it's his first game in forever. Next week may be a whole different thing, but with bye weeks, I'll give him another shot and hope for 4/50/1.

He had a great 50-yard catch/run/dive TD in the 3Q that was called back. This kid's a playmaker. Even if Cinci spreads the ball around, hard to imagine them not utilizing him and getting him more snaps.

He had a great 50-yard catch/run/dive TD in the 3Q that was called back. This kid's a playmaker. Even if Cinci spreads the ball around, hard to imagine them not utilizing him and getting him more snaps.
For what it's worth, it looked like his knee was down before he got in so I have a feeling it would have been reversed upon challenge.

For what it's worth, it looked like his knee was down before he got in so I have a feeling it would have been reversed upon challenge.
Not from the angle I saw. I happen to agree with you that his knee was down just before the ball crossed, but from the angle they showed on TV, it wasn't conclusive. Irrelevant regardless.

Not from the angle I saw. I happen to agree with you that his knee was down just before the ball crossed, but from the angle they showed on TV, it wasn't conclusive. Irrelevant regardless.
He certainly played better than Sanu, who caused one of the interceptions and dropped another key ball. I would be surprised if Jones doesn't see his snap count go way up after this game. (With most teams, I'd be shocked if Jones' snap count didn't go up, but it's the Bengals).

Not only should Jones have scored the TD, he was targeted on that red zone pass too that went pick 6. If Dalton throws it well, it is a TD for Jones.

A few good take aways from last nights game:

1. Marvin Jones is catching up to Sanu in the coaches eyes. Last night he played a season high 53.7% of the snaps.

2. Last night marks 4 weeks in a row where he was targeted 5+ times in the game.

3. He should have had at least one TD last night. His knee may have been down on the long TD but there was no hold that I could see on Gresham. Then the back shoulder throw was horrible. If Dalton puts that on his left shoulder instead of his right? Jones makes that catch in stride and just walks in the end zone.

4. You can make a good case that his line last night could have been 5, 75, 1 TD or even 5, 100, 2 TDs. The fact that he only posted 4, 66, 0 TDs has nothing to do with him. Gresham made a block that he didn't have to make that blew up the first play. And Dalton came dressed for Halloween as Mark Sanchez on the second play.

Dalton holds back this entire offense. He's really not that good of a QB. He a game manager with elite weapons.

Just missed out on another big night. It happens.

Oh, and wow Sanu is terrible.
Sanu isn't terrible. He wasn't fully healthy, and probably should have sat. He is a good versatile receiver, and usually very dependable on the field.
Sanu has Jerricho Cotchery upside. Is "versatile" a code word for slow as mud.
Sanu is versatile. Anyway, he had a poor performance, but not being fully healthy didn't help matters. Even great players drop or fumble a ball sometimes. AJ Green let a perfect pass bat right off of his hands. Last week the great Calvin Johnson dropped a pass and fumbled. It happens.

and Sanu in that Cotchery-esque role seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time and take some hellacious hits. like 3x's i thought for sure he was going to be knocked out of the game

Sanu doesn't have the speed to lineup outside (4.67 40 time at combine). He works the middle as a possession type. Unfortunately for him, they also have Gresham, Eifert and now Hawkins working the middle of the field.

Dalton's inconsistent and the slightly miss thrown balls are going to continue to result in Sanu taking big hits. Not sure how long he'll be able to stay on the field taking those kinds of hits.

Sanu is a good blocker for a WR but that doesn't make him superior to Gresham or Eifert in this respect. Meaning his time on the field may decrease.

Jones has proven to be a playmaker and redzone threat and is the best fit on the team to lineup outside across from AJ. I see Sanu's playing time decreasing while Jones's time increases.

Jones is a playmaker out there. Still managed 66 yards and should have had 30 more and a TD. Not disappointed at all.

It's getting more and more obvious that Jones is the superior weapon on offense. Sanu continues to sap Marvin's snaps though (maybe because he's a better blocker in the run game?) Seems like the Bengals have particular packages of guys with the only constant in them being Dalton and AJ Green.

Still, if you're going to pick one guy to receive 7 targets a game, I'd take Jones over a lot of guys out there regardless of whatever snap count he's on. He's red hot and just seems to make things happen. Michael Irvin even noticed as much during the halftime interview when he remarked that the Bengals seem like a different team when Marvin Jones is on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread