What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Math question related to interest (1 Viewer)

Zeppelin

Footballguy
Person A owes person B $2600 from 14 years ago and I'm trying to calculate what it would be if there was interest accruing. Use 10% for the calculation and please explain if you don't mind so I can recalculate once I get the actual interest rate I will be using.

Thanks in advance.

Even though you planted this here, there are plenty of web pages that can do this for you, Zep.

Person A owes person B $2600 from 14 years ago and I'm trying to calculate what it would be if there was interest accruing. Use 10% for the calculation and please explain if you don't mind so I can recalculate once I get the actual interest rate I will be using.

Thanks in advance.
$10,253 if compounded annually.

Pretty sure it’s just $2600 * (1.10)^14
Loan interest doesn’t typically compound. It’s just 2600 * .10 * 14.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the loan terms whether it’s simple or compounded interest.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the loan terms whether it’s simple or compounded interest.

That why I wrote “typically”.

Thanks in advance.

Interesting.

Pretty sure if I took a loan from my credit card that will compound. Horrendously.

Honestly, I haven’t taken a loan other than mortgage in over 20 years so 🤷

The most common method used for personal loans is the simple interest method, also known as the U.S. Rule method.

The U.S. Rule produces no compounding of interest in that any unpaid accrued interest is accumulated separately and is not added to principal. In addition, under the U.S. Rule, no interest calculation is made until a payment is received.

Sources: Investopedia, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

As mentioned, 10% is a high rate. However, it’s quite convenient for using the rule of 70 which states that the amount due will double roughly every 7 years. (Take 70 divided by the rate to get 7). And so in 14 years, that is two doublings. $2600 * 2 * 2 = $10,400. No apps needed.

As mentioned, 10% is a high rate. However, it’s quite convenient for using the rule of 70 which states that the amount due will double roughly every 7 years. (Take 70 divided by the rate to get 7). And so in 14 years, that is two doublings. $2600 * 2 * 2 = $10,400. No apps needed.

Rule of 72
It is alternately dubbed the Rule of 72, the Rule of 70, or the Rule of 69.3. I went with the one with the simplest math. It's just an estimate anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread