What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Cassel (1 Viewer)

Where does Cassel sign next year?

• With NE (backup to Brady)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With another team as a starter

• With another team as a backup

• Total voters
Borat said:
Everyone this season has known that the secret to derailing the NE offense is to put pressure on the QB. And everyone knows that it's very possible to do just that regardless of who's under center.
Really? The "secret" to derailing the NE offense is to put pressure on the QB? As opposed to what alternative strategy - dropping 8 men back and giving the QB all day long to throw?Pretty sure putting pressure on the QB would be the so-called "secret" to derailing pretty much any passing offense in the league.
Ever hear of a coverage sack, smartass? Ever hear teams talk about stoppping the run first and making the QB beat you? Ever hear about teams trying to mask coverages, running a nickel or dime heavy game plan or rolling coverages over to account for stud WR's? These are schemes to derail a passing game that don't necessarily require pressure as the primary mechanism. No #### that pressure can stop the passing game. But I didn't say that pressure was the way to stop the Pats passing game did I? I said it was the secret to stopping the offense in general much the same way as it was for the Martz led Rams.So no, putting pressure on the QB isn't the only way to stop the pass nor is it the only way to stop an offense. And I'm sure you recognize that trying to bring pressure can backfire on you when you have to compromise your coverage to do so...especially against a QB who excels at avoiding the pass rush.When Brady went down, people wondered if NE would refocus on the run to protect Cassel which would then raise the question whether defenses would continue to focus primarily on pressure or just sit back, stop the run and dare Cassel to beat their coverages. Why blitz and risk giving up the big play when the newbie QB hasn't shown he can decipher your coverage scheme? But with all the untouched defenders putting helmets on Cassel, I look more to the blocking and breakdowns in pass protection than I do to Cassel not "feeling the pass rush". I think D's have for the most part opted for running the same gameplan against Cassel that they would employ against Brady. I think Brady would be taking more sacks this season as compared to last season as it appears to me that D's have figured out how to overcome the Pat's pass protection schemes.

What teams would he be considered better than the current (if healthy) starting options?
Right now, I'd sayDefinitely better option:BALTENKCCIN ( if Palmer has a long term issue )MINDETSFMaybe better option:MIACLEOAKHowever, I have seen some progression in his game over the past few weeks, to the point that I think this question should be revisited in December. It may have a very different answer.
wow you guys are way off imo. You need to remember all the weapons he has around him right now, and hes still not putting up all that great stats. Hes not a starting NFL QB at all.

kevinallen said:
He's a career backup
There are several "career backups" that end up being a starting QB in the NFL.
True, but that doesn'tmean they all should be starters. Cassel is not NFL starting QB caliber IMO
Where did you stand on P.Manning after his rookie season?He had a lower completion percentage and QB rating than does Cassel, he also had more INT's than TD's, unlike Cassel. And Manning had plenty of playing time in college.I'm not saying Cassel is anywhere near Manning in terms of talent or skill, I'm just saying he's been improving and we don't really have any idea how good he is or can be. He's still an unknown. We usually give a first round pick a mulligan for his first season as far as deciding whether or not he can make it in the NFL. I'm not sure why we wouldn't give Cassel the same benefit of the doubt, especially when he hasn't played a significant number of live-fire snaps since high school.
YOu do realize that Cassell's surrounding cast was a part of THE GREATEST OFFENSE OF ALL TIME last year, right?Also its not fair to compare a QB who played right away's first season to the first season of a QB who sat and learned for years.

kevinallen said:
He's a career backup
True, but that doesn'tmean they all should be starters. Cassel is not NFL starting QB caliber IMO
Where did you stand on P.Manning after his rookie season?He had a lower completion percentage and QB rating than does Cassel, he also had more INT's than TD's, unlike Cassel. And Manning had plenty of playing time in college.I'm not saying Cassel is anywhere near Manning in terms of talent or skill, I'm just saying he's been improving and we don't really have any idea how good he is or can be. He's still an unknown. We usually give a first round pick a mulligan for his first season as far as deciding whether or not he can make it in the NFL. I'm not sure why we wouldn't give Cassel the same benefit of the doubt, especially when he hasn't played a significant number of live-fire snaps since high school.
YOu do realize that Cassell's surrounding cast was a part of THE GREATEST OFFENSE OF ALL TIME last year, right?Also its not fair to compare a QB who played right away's first season to the first season of a QB who sat and learned for years.
Is it fair to judge a player when he's played less than 10 games, period?

kevinallen said:
He's a career backup
Is it fair to judge a player when he's played less than 10 games, period?
Exactly. Manning had loads of game experience coming into the NFL. Cassel hasn't had game experience since high school. How much pocket presence was Cassel developing in no-contact, less-than-full-speed practices while running the second team O? Knowing the playbook doesn't mean he's ready to read coverages at the line and sniff out a disguised blitz pre-snap. You only get that kind of awareness from playing.Assani, what did Moss do for his QB's in Oakland? Whether Welker is a legitimate talent in his own right or just a beneficiary of being a slot receiver in a pass happy system with a HOF QB at the helm remains to be seen. You could just as easily make the argument that Brady made Moss and Welker last season and Cassel is the proof of that.Does Cassel = Brady? Probably not. But compare their first year numbers (both with BB calling a more conservative game plan than he did in '07, BTW). You think Cassel's been asking BB to keep things conservative or is that BB's SOP when a new, unproven QB takes over. It's the latter regardless of whether his name is Brady or Cassel.

If he plays well enough to keep the Pats winning more than they lose, I'm thinking he's got a shot with another team as a starter. Nobody goes into the NFL to be a permanent backup and if someone wants to offer him a shot, he'd be stupid not to take it.

If he doesn't play well enough to keep the Pats winning...I doubt you'd see him back here next year as a backup.

Either way, I'm thinking he's moving on when the year is over.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I see Cassel

getting the "Franchise Tag" from New England.

Then he will be dealt in some sort of draft day deal, maybe for a 2nd round pick.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I see Casselgetting the "Franchise Tag" from New England.Then he will be dealt in some sort of draft day deal, maybe for a 2nd round pick.
It's counter-intuitive to me that NO team would be interested in trading for Cassel if NE franchises him.The reason it's counter-intuitive to me is because of the lack of quality QBs around the league.Cassel would appear to be better than Vince Young, Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, etc, etc.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I see Casselgetting the "Franchise Tag" from New England.Then he will be dealt in some sort of draft day deal, maybe for a 2nd round pick.
It's counter-intuitive to me that NO team would be interested in trading for Cassel if NE franchises him.The reason it's counter-intuitive to me is because of the lack of quality QBs around the league.Cassel would appear to be better than Vince Young, Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, etc, etc.
I think Minnesota after what happened with Favre this year makes a big play for the next big free agent QB.Think what the viking would be doing now if they had Favre.

Easier said than done.My understanding is that an NFL team needs to be "cap compliant" at all times. Thus, to do what you're suggesting means that the Pats would have to be able to fit both Brady's current contract and the Franchise cost of Cassell (~ $12M +) under the salary cap for a period of time. Perhaps they can concurrently redo a bunch of other deals with other players to get the required cap capacity (albeit temporary capacity) to "Tag & Trade". This approach would also impair the Pats bargaining leverage in a trade talk given that the other team would know the Pats couldn't live "long term" (through the 2009 season) with both deals under the cap without weakening their team elsewhere.

This approach would also impair the Pats bargaining leverage in a trade talk given that the other team would know the Pats couldn't live "long term" (through the 2009 season) with both deals under the cap without weakening their team elsewhere.
Not if there is a bidding war for Cassel, which I fully expectseeing the amount of teams in desperate need of a legitimate QB.

Easier said than done.My understanding is that an NFL team needs to be "cap compliant" at all times. Thus, to do what you're suggesting means that the Pats would have to be able to fit both Brady's current contract and the Franchise cost of Cassell (~ $12M +) under the salary cap for a period of time. Perhaps they can concurrently redo a bunch of other deals with other players to get the required cap capacity (albeit temporary capacity) to "Tag & Trade". This approach would also impair the Pats bargaining leverage in a trade talk given that the other team would know the Pats couldn't live "long term" (through the 2009 season) with both deals under the cap without weakening their team elsewhere.
If you know where you are dis-advantaged going into a negotiation, its manageable, particularly if there are more than one or two potential suitors for Cassel.

I'm not too excited about his prospects of a big contract with someone else this offseason. His emerging mobility is a plus for fantasy purposes, but his arm is nothing special and his pocket awareness is weak.

Users who are viewing this thread