What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Forte - to be more relevant again (2 Viewers)

Snap counts and utilization through week 1-5..

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Forte

76%

81%

60%

48%

64%

Powell

24%

23%

41%

52%

47%

Snap counts and utilization through week 1-5..

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Forte

76%

81%

60%

48%

64%

Powell

24%

23%

41%

52%

47%

In your opinion is that split going to stabilize at about 50/50 or do you think Powell is on his way to the lion's share? 

In your opinion is that split going to stabilize at about 50/50 or do you think Powell is on his way to the lion's share?
I think the last two weeks will end up being pretty representative of the split moving forward where Forte dominates carries and Powell dominates targets out of the backfield. I don't foresee Powell being utilized 20 times a game barring a Forte injury. 

I think the last two weeks will end up being pretty representative of the split moving forward where Forte dominates carries and Powell dominates targets out of the backfield. I don't foresee Powell being utilized 20 times a game barring a Forte injury.
Not good, so you don't think either one of them will be useful for fantasy?

Not good, so you don't think either one of them will be useful for fantasy?
I mean, define useful. They're both extremely rosterable.

The thing is the Jets have sucked recently and have often found themselves trailing at some point and leaning on Powell. This is going to be like most time shares where each back serves a rather specific role. If you (or I suppose Vegas) thinks the Jets are favored then I'd be more inclined to go with Forte. If the Jets are dogs I'd be more inclined to go with Powell (in PPR).

I think both should be viewed as flex plays though.

Did this last week, Got Ingram on his bye week.  Not confident though that Saints schedule looks rough.
Yeah, I noticed that schedule as well, but Ingram should be involved in the passing game no matter how the games play out, which makes him viable every week.

I have a feeling that the low usage early in the season may have had something to do with seeing how that shoulder holds up... coming out of the bye I could easily see a spike in touches. Purely speculation of course :-)

Yeah, I noticed that schedule as well, but Ingram should be involved in the passing game no matter how the games play out, which makes him viable every week.

I have a feeling that the low usage early in the season may have had something to do with seeing how that shoulder holds up... coming out of the bye I could easily see a spike in touches. Purely speculation of course :-)
Hope your right, it was nice seeing some catches. Hopefully Cadet doesn't become the 3rd down guy.

Doesn't Forte have the record for most receptions in a year for RB from a couple of years back?  How does he not get on the field for 3rd downs or anything anymore?

Doesn't Forte have the record for most receptions in a year for RB from a couple of years back?  How does he not get on the field for 3rd downs or anything anymore?
I have been asking myself this question every time I watch the Jets play...they treat him like he is a liability out of the backfield.  If they are committed to getting Powell on the field, then I say let him tote the rock on first down and put Forte in on passing plays...he seems better in space that Powell IMO

I have been asking myself this question every time I watch the Jets play...they treat him like he is a liability out of the backfield.  If they are committed to getting Powell on the field, then I say let him tote the rock on first down and put Forte in on passing plays...he seems better in space that Powell IMO
I've been saying this, too. Is he dinged up more than they are letting on?

I think the use of Powell is not a knock on Forte's ability, but rather to keep him from wearing out after his huge workloads the first few weeks. He's still 30 after all.

And the fact that Powell is also very adept in the passing game makes the decision easier for Bowles & Co.

I think the use of Powell is not a knock on Forte's ability, but rather to keep him from wearing out after his huge workloads the first few weeks. He's still 30 after all.

And the fact that Powell is also very adept in the passing game makes the decision easier for Bowles & Co.
I would buy this if Powell has been effective....but, c'mon....If you are an NFL coach and your team is losing, you have to put your playmakers on the field.

I would buy this if Powell has been effective....but, c'mon....If you are an NFL coach and your team is losing, you have to put your playmakers on the field.
I don't think Powell has been bad - no less effective than Forte of late. Let's face it - the whole offense has been a dumpster fire since the Bills game.

My only point was that Powell isn't moving the chains, and the team is sorely in need of another playmaker.  I get why you would want to limit Forte, but he shouldn't be outsnapped by Powell, unless Powell is producing.

Fitz has imploded this offense plain and simple. There are not a lot of RBs who would have good stat lines with their QB throwing 6 picks vs any team, let a lone @KC. Then they faced off against SEA/@PIT/@ARZ which is tough on any running game. Pitt was vulnerable but are tough at home and he only got 53 yards on 12 carries which isn't bad ypc actually, but they got behind. Don't panic. The schedule gets a lot easier after this week. BAL may shut down NYJ running game again and I would buy Forte after that.

He has at least 5 good matchups left with MIA twice, IND, SF and CLE.

LA and NE twice could be considered 3 avg. matchups. I guess you could put MIA in this category too.

Bottom line, after the BAL game nobody really scares me and he has some nice plus matchups coming up. Of course Geno is a risk to implode too, but they could lean on the running game more as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded away Forte in a multi-player deal that netted me D. Freeman in hopes of upgrading my RB2.

In a full PPR keeper league, this seems to make sense for a couple of reasons.   Time will tell....

So after 4 straight crap games I finally sit this guy and he goes nutz.  Thx forte
I traded him in a package deal to acquire Lacey & Jefferey....not even 45 minutes after trade....I see that Lacey is injured more than suspected (and eventually put on IR). So yes I got to see Jefferey get me a whopping 6 points and my league-mate's Forte blow up for 30+. Joke was on me for sure!!

For what it is worth, if Forte's usage can hold up...he has a favorable schedule upcoming in the next few weeks. 

I traded him in a package deal to acquire Lacey & Jefferey....not even 45 minutes after trade....I see that Lacey is injured more than suspected (and eventually put on IR). So yes I got to see Jefferey get me a whopping 6 points and my league-mate's Forte blow up for 30+. Joke was on me for sure!!

For what it is worth, if Forte's usage can hold up...he has a favorable schedule upcoming in the next few weeks. 
He's going back in my lineup

Matt Forte's MRI earlier this week revealed a torn meniscus in his knee.
Forte suspects he's been playing with it all season and still hopes to play Saturday night against the Dolphins. With the Jets' season over, there's no reason for Forte to play unless he has playing-time incentives or yardage-based perks built into his contract. Bilal Powell is tentatively expected to start.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Dec 14 - 2:48 PM

Matt Forte is participating in the NFL Broadcast Boot Camp.

This is the 10th annual NFL Broadcast Boot Camp held at NFL Films. It gives exclusive opportunities for players to learn the business. Forte split work with Bilal Powell last season, but Powell is expected to take the lead in 2017. Now 32 and headed into his ninth season, Forte's best days appear to be behind him. Forte is under contract with the Jets until 2018.

Source: Ross Tucker on Twitter 
May 16 - 4:37 PM

NJ Advance Media's Connor Hughes expects Matt Forte to be the Jets' "offensive workhorse" this season.

Color us skeptical. Most talk around the team this offseason has been hinting at a changing of the guard at running back for the rebuilding Jets, with Bilal Powell becoming the 1A as Forte takes a back seat as the 1B. Hughes doesn't believe that to be the case and expects Powell to be the "complement" to Forte. Nothing is settled in this backfield. It's a situation to monitor closely this summer. 

Jun 23 - 10:21 AM

Source: NJ Advance Media

I'm not so sure Forte has any value.  The Bears just ended up releasing him so why would a team actually trade for an aging RB?

What are the chances Forte is moved, and who are likely buyers?  

I drafted Forte very late as an emergency RB and possible trade bait if he starts out okay.  
I think he ends up getting cut. No team is going to give up much for a 32y/o RB who appears to be on his last legs. Wherever he ends up, I wouldn't expect a large role.

im more intrigued by b powell, if forte is released he shoots up ppr draft boards, could be some sneaky value if you draft before forte is possibly cut

I think he ends up getting cut. No team is going to give up much for a 32y/o RB who appears to be on his last legs. Wherever he ends up, I wouldn't expect a large role.
Trust me, if Forte was made game day active on my team, the wheels fell way off and I am running under Fred Flinstone power in the world of the Jetsons.

Best case is Forte has a few decent games early in the season and I can flip him for a TE or as part of a multi player trade.

I do not know if he would he cut out right by the Jets - they still owe him like $4 mil

I think people soured on Powell a bit after watching Forte get so much work during the 3rd preseason game but it turns out they were likely just showcasing Forte. I'm going to send out some offers for Powell to see if I can grab him for relatively cheap before the season starts.

ESPN New York believes Matt Forte is on the Jets' roster bubble.

Reporter Rich Cimini doesn't really add anything to NFL Network's Tuesday report that Forte is on the market, but clearly buys into it. Cimini correctly points out that trading Forte would be extremely difficult because of his $4 million guaranteed salary. Release would be the more likely avenue for Forte's departure from the tanking Jets.

Source: ESPN New York

Aug 31 - 5:32 PM

Matt Forte rushed nine times for 53 yards against the Raiders in Week 2.

He added four catches and 38 receiving yards. Fore was one of the bright spots for the Jets, but it really doesn't matter in this offense. He out-snapped Bilal Powell 28-17, which was a bigger difference than the 35-30 lead in Week 1 -- the Jets being blown out could've been a factor. Forte can't be trusted in fantasy right now and may need to be on another team to have value.

Anything to see here in ppr formats with Powell out against Pats defense that gives up points to rb's? Is Elijah McGuire going to split the rb load with Forte?

Anything to see here in ppr formats with Powell out against Pats defense that gives up points to rb's? Is Elijah McGuire going to split the rb load with Forte?
I think Forte will start, but will split with McGuire. Not sure if evenly, but between Forte’s injury and age, I don’t see him carrying the load. Could be wrong though in a critical (can’t believe I wrote that for the Jets in week 6) game where experience may be most important to Bowles.

Pretty happy that I'm joining you Forte owners as of this morning.   :headbang:

I haven't been following the situation very closely, and I know there have been injuries all around, but does anyone feel like they have a handle on what's going on in this backfield? Obviously this was Forte's first big game, but also his first game over 10 carries I believe. Is there good reason to thinks this continues? 

Any insight is much appreciated, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread