What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Leinart to announce decision today (1 Viewer)

SammyJankis

Footballguy
USC or NFL? Leinart to say today

I say he comes out. He's looking at being the #1 pick. Two national titles. Played the game of his life. His stock will never be higher.

Only the thought of going to the Niners could disuade him....

Last edited by a moderator:
If he stays he is the dumbest person alive.He can't improve his draft position since he'll go #1 this year. Risking tens of millions to enjoy one last year of college just isn't worth it.

More power the the guy if he can actualy bring himslef to staying. Every reasonable signs is pointing to him leaving though. His stock could not rise any further and he is really only risking injury by sticking around at this point IMO. He won 2 Nat Titles, so why stay?

The possibility of 3 National Titles and back-to-back Heismans are tempting but Matt will go pro.

The closest any previous player has come to this situation IMO is Peyton Manning. He stayed for the right reasons IMO, even though he probably would have been taken #1 overall (if not, then top 5). Leinhart has less reason to stay (National Championship and Heismann already won) but does he think about things the same way?I think he should come out, but I would not be surprised to see him stay.

If he stays he is the dumbest person alive.He can't improve his draft position since he'll go #1 this year. Risking tens of millions to enjoy one last year of college just isn't worth it.
He will be the dumbest person alive if he does stay and doesn't get insurance (if he doesn't already have some).

I say he comes out. He's looking at being the #1 pick. Two national titles. Played the game of his life. His stock will never be higher.Only the thought of going to the Niners could disuade him....
I agree - for the same reasons. As for the 49ers, he's gonna up on a bad team regardless...going #1 may be overrated; just ask ben r!

The closest any previous player has come to this situation IMO is Peyton Manning. He stayed for the right reasons IMO, even though he probably would have been taken #1 overall (if not, then top 5).
I have a friend who works in the UTenn sports (and was there when Manning was there) department that said Fulmer was "aware" of a probable scenario where if Manning had come out, the 49ers were going to offer their entire draft (5 picks, IIRC) to the Jets for the #1 overall.COlin

I say he comes out. He's looking at being the #1 pick. Two national titles. Played the game of his life. His stock will never be higher.Only the thought of going to the Niners could disuade him....
I agree - for the same reasons. As for the 49ers, he's gonna up on a bad team regardless...
:rolleyes: Ask Mr. Rivers about his bad team.

The closest any previous player has come to this situation IMO is Peyton Manning. He stayed for the right reasons IMO,
He just wanted to take the golden sombrero against Florida.

He will be the dumbest person alive if he does stay and doesn't get insurance (if he doesn't already have some).
I heard a recent discussion on Mike&Mike regarding insurance for college players. The insurance only kicks in if the player is injured *and never plays football again*. It does not insure against a player tearing up a knee and falling from the top of the draft to a 2nd or 3rd rounder (thereby losing millions in signing bonus).

as some are already alluding to, i dont think manning and leinart are necessarily a good comparison - manning still had business to tend to (beating florida, national title), while leinart has basically achieved everything there is to achieve in college.i agree with those that say he's nuts if he stays - especially with vince young looming next year - some team will trade up and make him the #1 pick.

as some are already alluding to, i dont think manning and leinart are necessarily a good comparison - manning still had business to tend to (beating florida, national title), while leinart has basically achieved everything there is to achieve in college.i agree with those that say he's nuts if he stays - especially with vince young looming next year - some team will trade up and make him the #1 pick.
I suppose we can work without a comparison, but tell me Leinhart doesn't feel he has business left, and I'll point you to his interview with Jim Rome where he said he does, because he wants to be known as the QB for the greatest college team ever. This was back in December, but at the time he felt he needed to come back to cemment his legacy.That may have changed... I guess we'll find out soon.

Hasn't he already graduated? I'm pretty sure he graduated on time (in four years) but was red-shirted so that he has one year eligibility left. Umm... I'm having trouble understanding any reason at all to stay, and to be honest the fact he's waffeling so much I'm not sure if he's wired right upstairs. It seems a little bit flakey to me to even considering staying in college when you've graduated and you're almost guarantee'd a top 3 draft spot. Does this kid want to play professional football? (See also Ricky Williams)

Agreed. And he'll stay in the SoCal area, where hes already hugely popular, which always helps when you suck it up your first year or two in the league.
Did you really mean SoCal? As far as I know, LA hasn't had an NFL team in a very long time and SD already has two QBs. If you meant SF, isn't that NoCal? ;)

If he stays he is the dumbest person alive.

He can't improve his draft position since he'll go #1 this year.  Risking tens of millions to enjoy one last year of college just isn't worth it.
Agreed. And he'll stay in the SoCal area, where hes already hugely popular, which always helps when you suck it up your first year or two in the league.
Did you really mean SoCal? As far as I know, LA hasn't had an NFL team in a very long time and SD already has two QBs. If you meant SF, isn't that NoRCal? ;)
fixed

ESPN Radio says Leinart's decision to come TOMORROW!

Cowherd said a USC insider said he got the impression of Leinart he was leaning 60/40 towards staying.

I think he stays .... reminds me of the Manning boys.

If he stays he is the dumbest person alive.He can't improve his draft position since he'll go #1 this year.  Risking tens of millions to enjoy one last year of college just isn't worth it.
I heard a recent discussion on Mike&Mike regarding insurance for college players. The insurance only kicks in if the player is injured *and never plays football again*. It does not insure against a player tearing up a knee and falling from the top of the draft to a 2nd or 3rd rounder (thereby losing millions in signing bonus).
I believe this is correct.

If he stays he is the dumbest person alive.He can't improve his draft position since he'll go #1 this year.  Risking tens of millions to enjoy one last year of college just isn't worth it.
I believe this is correct.
I believe you can insure parts of your body though to injury.

this is exactly right.which would make him maybe the dumbest human being alive if he stays. all it takes is one shot to the knee from some scrub nose tackle from arizona state and leinart is looking at a lot less dough.

Hasn't he already graduated? I'm pretty sure he graduated on time (in four years) but was red-shirted so that he has one year eligibility left. Umm... I'm having trouble understanding any reason at all to stay, and to be honest the fact he's waffeling so much I'm not sure if he's wired right upstairs. It seems a little bit flakey to me to even considering staying in college when you've graduated and you're almost guarantee'd a top 3 draft spot. Does this kid want to play professional football? (See also Ricky Williams)
leinart is looking at the possibility of back to back undefeated seasons, 3 national titles in a row, and possibly back to back heismans (the least likely of the 3 scenarios). that does have some allure, especially with carroll constantly selling the "this is the only time in your life you have to play college ball" and how it is so different and much more fun than pro ball.i think it would be unwise to stay with all the money on the table, but i can understand the allure.he's not wired right upstairs? is that why the scouts have him as the #1 qb in terms of mental skills?your doubting of his desire is baseless. :thumbdown:

Can he repeat what he did this year? Sure! But that is all he can do...repeat it. He can't improve on his season so why stay and risk an injury or a decline in production? He has to leave...that is the smart thing to do. Do you leave a guaranteed $15-20 million on the table to return to college because you want to win a 3rd National Championship? I think not.

btw guys, USC only has won only one national title this decade, let's cut the three in a row nonsense. TIA

If he stays he is the dumbest person alive.

He can't improve his draft position since he'll go #1 this year.  Risking tens of millions to enjoy one last year of college just isn't worth it.
Did you really mean SoCal? As far as I know, LA hasn't had an NFL team in a very long time and SD already has two QBs. If you meant SF, isn't that NoRCal? ;)
fixed
NorCal/SoCal, it's still on the west coast and the closest team except for SD - and who would want to go there? :D

If he decides to stay in school, Niner fans should breathe a sigh of relief. You'll be glad you didn't waste the #1 overall pick on a ####### who turns down a $20 million bonus to attend more classes.Leinart returning to school = a mistake of OJ jury proportions.

Can he repeat what he did this year? Sure! But that is all he can do...repeat it. He can't improve on his season so why stay and risk an injury or a decline in production? He has to leave...that is the smart thing to do. Do you leave a guaranteed $15-20 million on the table to return to college because you want to win a 3rd National Championship? I think not.
It's sad/funny that the concept of staying in school to, you know, finish his degree doesn't even enter into this conversation anymore. I'm sure he'll finish it out somehow, but I'd think it's much easier to do when you're working a college football schedule rather than dealing with an NFL career. Nah, I'm just kidding himself.The real reason it's not so stupid for him to stay.....have you seen the USC cheerleaders? :D

It's sad/funny that the concept of staying in school to, you know, finish his degree doesn't even enter into this conversation anymore. I'm sure he'll finish it out somehow, but I'd think it's much easier to do when you're working a college football schedule rather than dealing with an NFL career. Nah, I'm just kidding himself.The real reason it's not so stupid for him to stay.....have you seen the USC cheerleaders? :D
average salary for first overall pick keeps increasing 1.05% the year before, which is 40 milsuh weetif youre matt leinart

I used to be in the stay at school camp, but the opportunity to sign a contract for tens of millions of dollars just shouldn't be passed on. Lots of guys continue on to finish their degrees. Heck, even if you had to start over in school from ZERO credits, it would still be worth it.Look at the Kwame Dossiter's of the world. Strange things can happen in this world. When an chance like that presents itself, it's almost foolish not to take it and run.

I used to be in the stay at school camp, but the opportunity to sign a contract for tens of millions of dollars just shouldn't be passed on. Lots of guys continue on to finish their degrees. Heck, even if you had to start over in school from ZERO credits, it would still be worth it.Look at the Kwame Dossiter's of the world. Strange things can happen in this world. When an chance like that presents itself, it's almost foolish not to take it and run.
:yes: Does the name Bill Gates mean anything? Didn't he drop out of college? If I could have my career without going through school, I'd do it. (It won't happen, considering my career in Law requires a Law degree.)But, if he wants to stay for whatever reason, more power to him, maybe he just enjoys getting some from soriority chicks and the USC cheerleaders, but who wouldn't? ;)

I completely understand and agree with the point you're making. And honestly I think it'd be a mistake for Leinart to not take the money and run. I just found it interesting that that particular consideration isn't even mentioned at all.As for Bill Gates - Jayhawk you do realize that his family was wealthy to start with right? Dropping out of school for him was no risk at all.

Users who are viewing this thread