What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Schaub (1 Viewer)

treat88

Footballguy
Is there some logic I'm not aware of for keeping him active in the hopes of starting a meaningless week 16/17 game?

Seems like it would be in the Texans best interest to let him call it a season and look towards 2009.

Thoughts?

Maybe they figure they are not mathematically eliminated? Not sure. Doesn't seem to beneficial to get him back on the field if they are effectively out of contention.

Schaub is not as blindly locked into his job as the starter with the Texans. While he has been largely efficient as a QB, his inability to stay on the field and then not make two ro three boneheaded throws are both serious question that he needs to answer. Also, if the Texans don't win a couple of games, Kubiak could be out of a job and at least concerning Schaub who knows what a new coach will think of an injury and mistake prone QB.

Schaub is not as blindly locked into his job as the starter with the Texans. While he has been largely efficient as a QB, his inability to stay on the field and then not make two ro three boneheaded throws are both serious question that he needs to answer. Also, if the Texans don't win a couple of games, Kubiak could be out of a job and at least concerning Schaub who knows what a new coach will think of an injury and mistake prone QB.
Sage is the king of "boneheaded throws" as can be seen from his performance as a starter this year. Inability to stay healthy, maybe, although his latest injury looked like it was from a cheap shot.

They pay their players to actually play. If someone can come back and healthy and play in weeks 16 and 17... why wouldn't they? That is 8 more quarters of live football that the team will have under their belt together.

Sage is the king of "boneheaded throws" as can be seen from his performance as a starter this year. Inability to stay healthy, maybe, although his latest injury looked like it was from a cheap shot.
Schaub is as at least a Duke to Sage's King. Most of his mistakes this year have been early in game, versus in the 4th quarter,, but as a Texans' fan he make dumb throws and too many of them to be a considered a long-term lock as a NFL QB. On injuries, it is sort not really "fair" pre se, but at the end of the day a guy has to show up more 8-10 games a year to be considered a team's franchise QB whether the injury is legitimate or not. If he had a long history of health and then got hurt that's one thing, but we not seen him make through a season yet.

Yes, Schaub makes his share of mistakes. He did, however, have that HOU offense humming at a high level over a four or five game period before he got hurt. I understand the frustration regarding his inability to stay healthy, but I think a new coaching staff would still take their chances with Schaub and ensure they have a good backup rather than try to go an entirely new direction.

Yes, Schaub makes his share of mistakes. He did, however, have that HOU offense humming at a high level over a four or five game period before he got hurt. I understand the frustration regarding his inability to stay healthy, but I think a new coaching staff would still take their chances with Schaub and ensure they have a good backup rather than try to go an entirely new direction.
:banned: Health is a concern, but as seen with Brady, QBs are vulnerable no matter how much of an iron man they had been. I think what should be clear IMHO is that Schaub vs. Sage isn't really a good topic. If both a healthy, I know who I would want as my starter.

:bag: Health is a concern, but as seen with Brady, QBs are vulnerable no matter how much of an iron man they had been. I think what should be clear IMHO is that Schaub vs. Sage isn't really a good topic. If both a healthy, I know who I would want as my starter.
Schuab vs Sage is not the issue and never was. The issue is whether Schaub can be a franchise QB. Through two years of Schuab we have learned two things; (1) he can't stay healthy, and (2) he has a propensity to make bad decisions. Whether his bad decisions are worse than Sage's and what caused his injuries are totally irrelevant. Those are two big strikes against Schaub and the liklihood that he develops into a franchise QB.I'm not against bringing him back again next season, in fact we will and I am happy with that. But, I think we need to bring along a Brady Quinn/Phillip Rivers to cover ourselves for what inevitably looks to be a disappointment with Schaub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered the possibility that as HOU upgrades its offensive line over the next couple of years that Schaub's "bad decisions" will drop? The INTs that I saw Schaub throw were often when he was under tremendous pressure and throwing off his back foot or on the run.

the guy needs to play football. therefore, you don't place him on the IR if he can get two more games in late in the year. every snap is experience and he needs them.

Have you considered the possibility that as HOU upgrades its offensive line over the next couple of years that Schaub's "bad decisions" will drop? The INTs that I saw Schaub throw were often when he was under tremendous pressure and throwing off his back foot or on the run.
Not the case at all. Houston's line is not great but it is not the disaster it was during the first 4 or 5 years of franchise, mediocore overall. I presume you have not watch multiple full length games from the Texans. Schaub has 4 or 5 WTF throws where he was no pressure and the ball goes to some place where there is no Texans player. sometime it falls incomplete, sometimes intercepted.Overall, my view is similar to Stewy. I expect Schuab to be the starter in 2009, but he has far from proven that we can depend on his health or decison making. the good Schub looks to be the guy, but too bad that guy goes into hiding for at least 5 or so throws most games that he is healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread