What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matthew Berry leaving ESPN (1 Viewer)

I would fast forward the first ten minutes to get through the nonsense. Once they got into the content I thought he was quite informative and pretty darn funny.

I wonder if ESPN is using this as a chance to bring in some younger analytics/DFS analyst. 

For sure. It might be fantasy sports but the business aspect of the same. Matthew is the perfect example of an older higher priced executive that the company feels they can get similar value for from for a lot less money. And that usually means younger. Matthew understands the game there. 

lol, I forgot they had an actual bell and named it the Stephania bell.  Such good times..  Now I"m trying to remember all of the phrases that would trigger the bell
You just reminded me of the "Curse of Stephania Bell" (DAHN DAHN DAAAAAAAHHHHHHHN!), which was a joke about how any player she either had on her fantasy team or met with in person would end up getting injured

lol, I forgot they had an actual bell and named it the Stephania bell.  Such good times..  Now I"m trying to remember all of the phrases that would trigger the bell

I think when Pod said "dating back" in sharing stats about a player over X many games was one.

I think when Pod said "dating back" in sharing stats about a player over X many games was one.
any mention of Arrowhead Stadium would usually do it too.  There were a few others iirc but that's the one I thought of first

I didn't even realize he was no longer on ESPN until my draft last Monday when I told my friends they were going down this season because I had stolen Matthew Berry's cheat sheets. When they told me he was gone I said that they must be from last season and I bet my draft would have won the league in 2021.

He used to come here IIRC.

He's done the FF community a lot of good. I wish him well
I like his live stuff more than his writing.

He’s a bit more of a coattails guy when it comes to value picks/sleepers these days. He’ll talk about dudes in August that the grinders on YouTube were talking about in May.

I have no hate for him. I just think he’s slipped a little.

Last edited:
He used to come here IIRC.

He's done the FF community a lot of good. I wish him well
I like his live stuff more than his writing.

He’s a bit more of a coattails guy when it comes to value picks/sleepers these days. He’ll talk about dudes in August that the grinders on YouTube we’re talking about in May.

I have no hate for him. I just think he’s slipped a little.
I thought the content of the industry stunk as a whole this off-season but it was presented better than ever.
For forever, top 30 players are may content and then June is maybe top 60 and ....the best sites are really digging in in August, telling us about every little nook n cranny they found.
This was largely a top 30 year.
This whole thing setup "OMG he's talking about a player ranked 63rd" as if it was deep down the list and it wasn't.
Berry had new surroundings and everyone at a new place tries to keep up with the industry and...he did that.
Bloom's top 200 was outlandish nerd food this year and I love him for that.

Now I'm a bit sick of every site wanting me to read, listen, and watch to get info. Sometimes it feels like an Easter egg hunt and I'm "can I just read it please" but everything presented is done so much better now.

I enjoyed the more laid back format of Berry's new show on Peacock. Something just never felt right with the corporate ESPN aesthetic with everyone wearing suits and business dresses to tell me about my fake football news. Sitting around a bar table with a couple of guys in casual clothes talking football felt a lot better.

I enjoyed the more laid back format of Berry's new show on Peacock. Something just never felt right with the corporate ESPN aesthetic with everyone wearing suits and business dresses to tell me about my fake football news. Sitting around a bar table with a couple of guys in casual clothes talking football felt a lot better.
Agree, but it bugs me a little that his cohost is British.

I don’t know why. I like the Brit’s in general, it’s not a xenophobia thing.

I just don’t want some British dude telling me about my American football.

I know this is petty. Just sayin - it is what is is. He seems like a nice enough dude. It isn’t personal.

I know this is petty. Just sayin - it is what is is. He seems like a nice enough dude. It isn’t personal.
Caught me off guard at first too but dude knows the sport. So I'm all for it. It's like when soccer pregame shows have Americans on, I'm sure Brits feel weird by the accent.

Think Berry sucks to be honest. He was a huckster, a carnival barker.

His takes were nothing special and his teams nothing special.
He has a good game and people buy it

After week 1 his hyped players had a pretty rough go of it, that's for sure.

Who was the other guy who Matthew Berry used to fight with and argue with on the old school Podcasts? You ain't kidding....there were not a lot of podcasts back then. I miss those 2 going back and forth. Did he end up staying in the industry?

Who was the other guy who Matthew Berry used to fight with and argue with on the old school Podcasts? You ain't kidding....there were not a lot of podcasts back then. I miss those 2 going back and forth. Did he end up staying in the industry?
Nate Ravitz. That was the peak of the Podcast. They had a lot of good bets and debates. Nate left in 2014 and is a higher up at ESPN now.

I like him. He makes me think. I don't always agree with his advice/predictions but he gives you info/stats to consider. It's just a matter of being able to tune him out when he is really pushing a player and the stats/data he is using isn't really compelling. He keeps the hobby light and fun which is refreshing to me. I do think they let him just rant on NBC and don't really push back. I like when he has someone to contest his narrative and there is a back and forth.

Seems like a good human being, would be disappointing to learn if he isn’t. I really appreciated when he wrote from a real life perspective, always came across as sincere.

Quite the career transition to convert from TV writer to discussion about the statistics of professional football players.

He's definitely a good human. I can vouch for that with a 20+ year track record.
I will take your word for it since I consider you in the good human hall of fame. :)

Caught me off guard at first too but dude knows the sport. So I'm all for it. It's like when soccer pregame shows have Americans on, I'm sure Brits feel weird by the accent.

He's Australian, you racists. :D

I wonder if ESPN is using this as a chance to bring in some younger analytics/DFS analyst.

For sure. It might be fantasy sports but the business aspect of the same. Matthew is the perfect example of an older higher priced executive that the company feels they can get similar value for from for a lot less money. And that usually means younger. Matthew understands the game there.
So for those of us that speak Dynasty terms, he's a Derrick Henry or Dalvin Cook type?

He's Australian, you racists. :D
Wasn't paying close enough attention to his accent.

His NBC shows are doing well and I also would like to add the production value is high, even if you disagree with him, Mathew goes a little deeper and covers a lot of players. You don't have to be glued to it, you can just have it on and be doing other things on your laptop.
Was on Peacock and will now be on CNBC on Sundays at Noon which is going to draw people to that station that might not tune in especially Sundays at Noon.
The set and lighting for the show looks great, very polished.

Users who are viewing this thread