What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maurice Morris In 2006? (1 Viewer)

Baracuda

Footballguy
Both Morris and Shaun Alexander are free agents in 2006. So why is no one talking about Morris starting for a team somewhere next year? If Alexander comes back, if I were him, I'd try to leave and be a starter (and get paid). If Alexander leaves, he's in good position to stay. Is it a lack of talent? Maybe he's just a backup in the NFL? Any thoughts?

Morris has been discussed WAY too much over the years for what he is - a career backup.
So your sure, it's not just that he's been stuck behind Alexander and is finally a free agent this year? Why is he only a career backup? What attributes does he lack... size? durability? Any further explanation is appreciated.

Morris has been discussed WAY too much over the years for what he is - a career backup.
So your sure, it's not just that he's been stuck behind Alexander and is finally a free agent this year? Why is he only a career backup? What attributes does he lack... size? durability? Any further explanation is appreciated.
To be fair, I haven't watched him play much, and he's never gotten much PT with Alexander there. But the times I have seen him, he hasn't been that impressive. Certainly not like a Michael Turner or Lamont Jordan (when he was a backup).It seems like many people still hearken back to a few positive comments Holmgren made about him about 3 or 4 years ago. But that's all we have to go on. He just doesn't seem to have that buzz that other backups have, and probably for good reason.

I am convinced that even if Alexander leaves via FA, there is little likelihood that Morris would get the gig. It would undoubtedly be an external free agent or rookie.

He really could be a career backup. I agree with most of what zamboni said. It's make or break for him this offseason. If he wants to be a starter then he'd better get on a team where he can do that or beat someone out in camp to do that. He's at a point where I don't think next contract NFL teams will give him that shot to start.

I liken him to Ladell Betts, but even Betts has gotten more opportunities to start than has Morris. Both guys are good enough to start for perhaps five NFL teams, but that's an impossible situation because such teams won't be looking to guys like Betts or Morris to solve their RB problem. Let's also not forget that there will be more top-notch RB prospects and players available through the draft and FA this year than in any year I can remember, so it's going to be pretty tough for a guy like Morris to attract attention. Even Lamont Jordan, who I agree is a better RB, had to use a thin year at RB to make his move to a team that needed his services.

i disagreei dont think Morris could start for any NFL team right nowname me some guys he's better than that are starting elsewhereim not impressed with him, especially behind that line, when he's had the chance to play at least....

If for whatever reason he ends the starter in Seattle I'd take him late first/early second. Nevertheless, if Seattle had any faith in the guy they would have dumped Alexander when they had the chance.

i disagree

i dont think Morris could start for any NFL team right now

name me some guys he's better than that are starting elsewhere

im not impressed with him, especially behind that line, when he's had the chance to play at least....
The only team I can see him starting on is the Cardinals. Fact is, good backups (that have strong potential to be starters in the future) make opportunities for themselves (as someone wisely pointed out Martin and Turner above). He also has been running behind one of the best lines in football, so I am not sure what he would do with multiple reps behind a worse line.

Morris might get a full-time role next season

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune

Published: February 2nd, 2006 02:30 AM

The hotel ballroom buzzed around these and other largely overlooked Seattle Seahawks as hundreds of reporters played favorites during a massive media session Wednesday.

One of these role players might be needed Sunday in Super Bowl XL. The Seahawks’ season has proven as much.

The team earned its first Super Bowl berth in part because lesser-known players replaced injured starters.

Sean Locklear, Leroy Hill, Marquand Manuel and Joe Jurevicius became productive starters when injuries felled Floyd Womack, Jamie Sharper, Ken Hamlin, Darrell Jackson and Bobby Engram.

And when a concussion knocked MVP running back Shaun Alexander from a divisional playoff game against Washington, Morris proved to be more effective. He carried 18 times for 49 yards after the Redskins held Alexander to 9 yards on six carries.

Morris’ case is different from the others because he entered the league as a high draft choice. A second-round pick from Oregon in 2002, he has done nothing to disappoint. The team simply hasn’t needed him much because Alexander has been the NFL’s most productive runner.

“With this offensive line, I think Maurice would put up some astronomical numbers both in the receiving and the rushing area if he was given the opportunity,” running backs coach Stump Mitchell said.

Morris might get that chance next season.

Like Alexander, he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent.

“It’s going to be an interesting offseason for me as well as a lot of guys on the team,” Morris said. “You just hopefully get a chance to have an opportunity.”

Unlike Alexander, Morris hasn’t had to update his résumé much since leaving college.

But at least he’s healthy.

“I haven’t taken a beating,” Morris said. “I’m just like an experienced rookie.”

Morris has 171 carries for 806 yards and one touchdown in four seasons. He also has 21 catches for 158 yards and a touchdown.

“With Maurice, you’re talking about a guy who is good catching the ball out of the backfield, that is going to carry the ball probably 17 times but he is going to have anywhere from five to seven receptions, which will bring his total to about 22 touches a game,” Mitchell projected. “I think Maurice is that type of guy.

“Unfortunately for him, he has been stuck behind Shaun.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seaha...p-4957453c.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen anything out of Morris to suggest he can be a full-time back, regardless of what that article above says. There are so many free agent RBs and talented rookies this year that I would be shocked if Seattle actually put the #1 job in MoMo's hands.Chester Taylor and Ahman seem like better mid-price options, especially for a team that may be defending a championship.

Morris has been discussed at length, and deserves to be. He was a 2nd RD pick out of Oregon as stated in the article.He WAS considered the best b/u RB in the league before LaMont Jordan showed what he could do with the Jets. And then moving on to a productive 1st year in Oakland.He will be this years LaMont if he stays or goes. A very good RB who could be GREAT with some solid O-Line play.I am speculating only. But I see him as the starter in Seattle next year.He is younger than Alexander, and most importantly, he has low mileage on an experienced guy.JMHO

Morris has been discussed at length, and deserves to be. He was a 2nd RD pick out of Oregon as stated in the article.

He WAS considered the best b/u RB in the league before LaMont Jordan showed what he could do with the Jets. And then moving on to a productive 1st year in Oakland.

He will be this years LaMont if he stays or goes. A very good RB who could be GREAT with some solid O-Line play.

I am speculating only. But I see him as the starter in Seattle next year.

He is younger than Alexander, and most importantly, he has low mileage on an experienced guy.

JMHO
:lmao: Morris couldn't even handle the backup role. The dude is always dinged up and hurt. No way is he a starting rb.

Users who are viewing this thread