What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maybe Too Old School But Brady/Manning = (1 Viewer)

Kyzersosik

Footballguy
I hear there`s a "Big" game coming up this week between the Colts and the Patriots. The board is full of Manning this Brady that. With the recent passing of Celtic`s legend Red Auerbach, got to thinking of another sports comparison. We recently used the Manning/Brady= Marino/Montana example. But, again maybe too old school, but I liken this comparrison to the old Chamberlain/Russell argument. Besides this can anyone think of any other good ones?

I hear there`s a "Big" game coming up this week between the Colts and the Patriots. The board is full of Manning this Brady that. With the recent passing of Celtic`s legend Red Auerbach, got to thinking of another sports comparison. We recently used the Manning/Brady= Marino/Montana example. But, again maybe too old school, but I liken this comparrison to the old Chamberlain/Russell argument. Besides this can anyone think of any other good ones?
Personally, I think Kelly/Marino would be more fitting than Montana (with all due respect to Montana), simply based on their rivalry, and my bias of course.

Personally, I think Kelly/Marino would be more fitting than Montana (with all due respect to Montana), simply based on their rivalry, and my bias of course.
Montana/Brady= championshipsMarino/Manning(yet)= none

Ted Williams, best hitter = Manning

Joe Dimaggio, best baseball player = Brady

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a good post.Bird/Magic had battles IN THE FINALS. On the biggest stage. They both won championships. It was back and forth.Also Bird or Magic were not known as chokers, who couldn't win the big one.So no, that's not a good analogy. I'm also not sure the whole Brady/Manning thing is really a rivalry. Brady has 3 rings. Manning has none. Manning has yet to even make the SB. Is it really a rivalry when one side has all the wins, all the rings? Manning is a cute regular season QB. But in the playoffs, he wouldn't be in my top 5 qbs. Maybe not top 10.Take everything you own. Cars. Money. Stocks. House. Wife. Kids. Go pile them on your front lawn. If your team loses, they're all gone. Never to be seen again. Everything you own in this world. Is there really anyone here who'd pick Manning? Or even pick him 2nd? 3rd? You just can't deny the fact he's come up small in the big games. End of story. He's the A-ROD of the NFL. So the better comparison, isJeter vs A-Rod.

I think the Montana/Marino is most fitting myself.

You have Montana who, though never known for his arm strength, was about as good a field general as you can get. He was intelligent and efficient and won numerous championships...ala Brady.

Then you have Marino who had the rocket arm and put up all these records but never won the championship...ala Manning.

Though Manning has had far more weapons at his disposal than Marino ever did.

Brady and Russell is probably close enough. Manning <> Chamberlin.

Chamberlin was once in a lifetime talent but I don't think winning was his top priority and according to FoxSports.com's Charlie Rosen needed to be motivated to win by coaches.

Manning's not a once in a lifetime talent - I think he wants to win but doesn't quite know how to win - and probably needs a great coach and or a great defense to help him win (he doesn't have either right now).

Woods and Mickelson, except Manning hasnt won his major yet. Im not even a big golf fan, but this is the one that seems to fit best in the few minutes ive spent thinking on this.

I was also racking my brain for a boxing or tennis parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a good post.Bird/Magic had battles IN THE FINALS. On the biggest stage. They both won championships. It was back and forth.Also Bird or Magic were not known as chokers, who couldn't win the big one.So no, that's not a good analogy. I'm also not sure the whole Brady/Manning thing is really a rivalry. Brady has 3 rings. Manning has none. Manning has yet to even make the SB. Is it really a rivalry when one side has all the wins, all the rings? Manning is a cute regular season QB. But in the playoffs, he wouldn't be in my top 5 qbs. Maybe not top 10.Take everything you own. Cars. Money. Stocks. House. Wife. Kids. Go pile them on your front lawn. If your team loses, they're all gone. Never to be seen again. Everything you own in this world. Is there really anyone here who'd pick Manning? Or even pick him 2nd? 3rd? You just can't deny the fact he's come up small in the big games. End of story. He's the A-ROD of the NFL. So the better comparison, isJeter vs A-Rod.
Even Bill Simmons, who is as big of a Manning critic as there is out there, has Manning ahead of A-ROD right now in the athlete pecking order. I think Sigmund Bloom is the closest so far. Manning = Mickelson as Brady = Woods.

Users who are viewing this thread