What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meat and global warming - (1 Viewer)

Can we take it one step further and prevent overpopulation?

All of you breeders with 3 or more kids....stop.  Just stop.  Let's have the government enforce a strict policy that says...

A.  You can prove that you can afford all those damn kids.

B.  You can prove that you're not a big dum dum.

Well when the first post contains this "For me, I can’t seem to logically get behind the idea that if I skip meat on Mondays, I’m helping the environment." We should probably discussing the bigger factors, not cow burps. 
Yeah, I know. Y'all need to lay off the tar sands ;)  

Man, this is one that seems to be would be the easiest to do and make a decent impact.

And while we can all do it day-to-day on a residential scale simply by turning off the light switch, think about all the commercial businesses in our country and the wasteful electricity that happens there. 

Think about the light pollution in the US alone. Drive around your city at night and look around. Almost every business keeps lights on all night even when they are closed. Every large office building has lights on at every floor level (I understand people clean offices at night, but every floor doesn't need to be on at all times).

Every parking light has extra lighting that is on all night every night.

And I understand lighting = security. But we don't need to use this much electricity. So wasteful. 
I think we just need to put a big old mirror out into space behind the earth.  Have it reflect light onto the far side, therefore leaving almost the entire planet with no night time.  Hence, saving money on lighting.

I think it is irrelevant and the environmental issues will be resolved naturally when economics and technology dictate.  LED light bulbs, EV's, and countless other technologies are now being accepted, widely adopted, and reduce energy use so significantly that the adoption of these technologies alone will reduce our carbon footprint immensely in the coming years. Just like everything, the timing has to be right and the solution can't be forced.  I think we can leave the cows alone.
This is essentially the answer, except that the natural process of innovation is being held hostage by moneyed interests. We are presently being marketed our options rather than letting the market decide.

ETA: i'm just glad this thread turned out to be about something, instead of being about the new culinary replacement for sous vide...

Last edited by a moderator:
What percentage are cars/truck/all vehicles contributing?  I would think they are doing much more harm than farting hiefers.
My understanding is this is just part of the equation - then factor in the transportation of feed, of the animals to the slaughter house, their waste and any pollution or chemicals that adds to the equation, and not to even talk about the questions raised about factory farming and the conditions the animals are enduring.  

Man, this is one that seems to be would be the easiest to do and make a decent impact.

And while we can all do it day-to-day on a residential scale simply by turning off the light switch, think about all the commercial businesses in our country and the wasteful electricity that happens there. 

Think about the light pollution in the US alone. Drive around your city at night and look around. Almost every business keeps lights on all night even when they are closed. Every large office building has lights on at every floor level (I understand people clean offices at night, but every floor doesn't need to be on at all times).

Every parking lot has extra lighting that is on all night every night.

And I understand lighting = security. But we don't need to use this much electricity. So wasteful. 
This problem naturally diminishes significantly as these lights are switched over to LED over the next few years.   Quicker than we could encourage or legislate other change.

This problem naturally diminishes significantly as these lights are switched over to LED over the next few years.   Quicker than we could encourage or legislate other change.
Economy and not least economy of scale eats old tech for breakfast

If farting cows are a problem, can't they just crush up some Gas-Ex and slip it into their feed?  That stuff saved my marriage, I'm sure it could help the environment.  

I think that me eating a salad instead of a burger today is close enough to nothing that you can safely argue it isn't necessarily better than nothing.
Cant you say that about anything we try to do to eliminate our footprint in small increments?  How much is my cloth bag at the grocery store doing vs not eating meat today?  Trying to unplug some stuff at home?  I mean why do any of it? 

Cant you say that about anything we try to do to eliminate our footprint in small increments?  How much is my cloth bag at the grocery store doing vs not eating meat today?  Trying to unplug some stuff at home?  I mean why do any of it? 
Cloth bags have been proven bad for the environment, I tried to choose a liberal academic source, the below quote is from Denmark's Ministry of food, but other places have similar studies.

I have not shown this to my wife, she loves her reusable bags.

Organic cotton bags: Reuse for grocery shopping at least 149 times for climate change, and up to 20000 times considering all indicators; reuse as waste bin bag if possible, other-wise incinerate.

Conventional cotton bags: Reuse for grocery shopping at least 52 times for climate change, and up to 7100 times considering all indicators; reuse as waste bin bag if possible, otherwise incinerate.

Composite bags: Reuse for grocery shopping at least 23 times for climate change, and up to 870 times considering all indicators; reuse as waste bin bag if possible, otherwise inciner-ate
https://www2.mst.dk/Udgiv/publications/2018/02/978-87-93614-73-4.pdf

can’t speak for others, but I don’t use reusable cloth bags over plastic to lower my carbon footprint.

I think it is irrelevant and the environmental issues will be resolved naturally when economics and technology dictate.  LED light bulbs, EV's, and countless other technologies are now being accepted, widely adopted, and reduce energy use so significantly that the adoption of these technologies alone will reduce our carbon footprint immensely in the coming years. Just like everything, the timing has to be right and the solution can't be forced.  I think we can leave the cows alone.
Can I still tip them over?

If farting cows are a problem, can't they just crush up some Gas-Ex and slip it into their feed?  That stuff saved my marriage, I'm sure it could help the environment.  
How many times do we have to go over this?

The problem is burping, not farting

(Scientists all over the world are looking at sustainable food additives to reduce the methane production in the 1st cow stomach. A Dutch company is already marketing a product thety claim reduces the production by 30%)

How many times do we have to go over this?

The problem is burping, not farting

(Scientists all over the world are looking at sustainable food additives to reduce the methane production in the 1st cow stomach. A Dutch company is already marketing a product thety claim reduces the production by 30%)
Can they do that for me also?

I've read the biggest things an individual can do to lessen their environmental impact - not just climate change:

1. Don't have kids, have less kids

2. Live without a car, or drive a lot less using an efficient vehicle

3. Don't eat meat - beef is the worst for both the environment and health

4. Avoid long flights, or don't fly at all

Not having kids is always #1, while the others vary in how much of an impact they are reported to have. This is a good summary article.

We recommend four widely applicable high-impact (i.e. low emissions) actions with the potential to contribute to systemic change and substantially reduce annual personal emissions: having one fewer child (an average for developed countries of 58.6 tonnes CO2-equivalent (tCO2e) emission reductions per year), living car-free (2.4 tCO2e saved per year), avoiding airplane travel (1.6 tCO2e saved per roundtrip transatlantic flight) and eating a plant-based diet (0.8 tCO2e saved per year). These actions have much greater potential to reduce emissions than commonly promoted strategies like comprehensive recycling (four times less effective than a plant-based diet) or changing household lightbulbs (eight times less). 

I've read the biggest things an individual can do to lessen their environmental impact - not just climate change:

Not having kids is always #1, while the others vary in how much of an impact they are reported to have. This is a good summary article.
I’ve got 1, 3, and 4 down. Just working on number 2.

This is a worthwhile topic and conversation, but all the unfunny posts have ruined the thread. So it's another opportunity to discuss and learn from each other lost because some people feel the need to distract others from conversing about an issue in which they're being left behind.. 

JShare87 said:
Less than a mile. I have an extremely efficient car too. I really want an electric, but my car is paid off and it’s hard to justify getting a new one. One day.
Unable to walk or bike to work?

EYLive said:
This is a worthwhile topic and conversation, but all the unfunny posts have ruined the thread. So it's another opportunity to discuss and learn from each other lost because some people feel the need to distract others from conversing about an issue in which they're being left behind.. 
And to make matters worse, it takes more energy to frown than smile.  :kicksrock:

eoMMan said:
Can we take it one step further and prevent overpopulation?

All of you breeders with 3 or more kids....stop.  Just stop.  Let's have the government enforce a strict policy that says...

A.  You can prove that you can afford all those damn kids.

B.  You can prove that you're not a big dum dum.
Correct 

Human 10000 x worse than a cow. 

Hot take: population  control will go global within 50 years. 

Animal protein has been a huge part of my life, as I've been into lifting weights and nutrition science since I was a kid. But I saw a movie recently called The Game Changers and it was the tipping point that prompted my switch to a plant-based diet. Plant-based is hot right now, and if you look closely you can see the mad dash that companies are making to establish their plant-based meat alternatives. Anyway, they discuss global environmental impact in the documentary, and it'd be a great short cut if you wanted a quick, topical glimpse into what this whole thing is all about at the present moment. I really think it's a beautiful thing, honestly. Nothing to feel alarmed or afraid of, it just somehow really 'clicks' with the times right now. I am proud to be participating, and have lived my entire life about as "lone wolf" as it gets.

Animal protein has been a huge part of my life, as I've been into lifting weights and nutrition science since I was a kid. But I saw a movie recently called The Game Changers and it was the tipping point that prompted my switch to a plant-based diet. Plant-based is hot right now, and if you look closely you can see the mad dash that companies are making to establish their plant-based meat alternatives. Anyway, they discuss global environmental impact in the documentary, and it'd be a great short cut if you wanted a quick, topical glimpse into what this whole thing is all about at the present moment. I really think it's a beautiful thing, honestly. Nothing to feel alarmed or afraid of, it just somehow really 'clicks' with the times right now. I am proud to be participating, and have lived my entire life about as "lone wolf" as it gets.
Plant based foods is definitely coming on strong. Anecdotally I've got two late teen daughters who have both switch to be vegetarians (not vegans, thankfully). Of their friends, from school and whatnot, I'd say maybe 25% are vegetarian or vegan. When I was their age many moons ago I didn't know any vegetarians at all. So I think the growth is real.

Plant based foods is definitely coming on strong. Anecdotally I've got two late teen daughters who have both switch to be vegetarians (not vegans, thankfully). Of their friends, from school and whatnot, I'd say maybe 25% are vegetarian or vegan. When I was their age many moons ago I didn't know any vegetarians at all. So I think the growth is real.
Been pescatarian for about 15 years, but consume mostly plants. In the last 5 years or so the stigma of an “alternative” diet has really diminished, plus there are far more vegetarian restaurants and meal options in general. As my friends start to gain weight and flirt with diseases of middle age, most of them are gravitating to less meat and more fruits/veggies.

It seems like there are two main factions of dieters out there, following plant-based or very low carbohydrate diets. While many are attracted the meatiness of the typical ketogenic diet, I firmly believe vegetarianism is better for overall health.

Terminalxylem said:

I'm sorry.  I thought this was America.

What if we breed cows on the moon and have the meat shipped back to Earth?  

I feel like these solutions are there as long as you're looking for them. 

EYLive said:

Users who are viewing this thread