What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Media Bias...Left or Right? (1 Viewer)

Opie

Footballguy
Both sides are claiming that the mainstream media is being tougher on their candidate than they are on the opposing candidate.

Hillary's camp points to Matt Lauer's recent interview of both candidates at the Commander in Chief's forum while the Don's camp has been claiming media bias since day 1.

So, who is correct?

Is the media helping choose the next POTUS or are they simply doing their job?

Just FYI, I like this web site to see both sides:

180 Report

Without spending much time thinking about it, my thought is this. Outside of a few specific outlets, the media is pretty far left. Sometimes in order to not look like you side one way or another, you over compensate for the other side. 

At this point I can't tell if the media is biased or if Trump is so historically bad that the media just doesn't have enough time in the day to focus on Hillary.

Is this election over yet?
I don't re-activate Facebook until early March, well after the inauguration. I don't have to agree with you guys on here, but at least you're making a statement and trying to defend it with some facts, be it slanted or not. It's a more intelligent conversation at the very least. Facebook, etc. social media is just a concentration of non-stop re-posts of articles and Twitter posts right now, the source of which being the bigger media outlets in a lot of cases. So no thank you very much to getting bombarded by that crap storm every day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't ABC NBC CBS all originally founded by some folks in Europe?
wat?

NBC - founded by RCA (American company) in 1926.
CBS - founded by Arthur Judson (American) and sold to Columbia Records (founded by American Edward Easton) in 1927.
ABC - originally NBC's sister network; sold to Edward Noble (American, creator of LifeSavers candy) in 1943.

wat?

CBS - founded by Arthur Judson (American) and sold to Columbia Records (founded by American Edward Easton) in 1927.
ABC - originally NBC's sister network; sold to Edward Noble (American, creator of LifeSavers candy) in 1943.
Forget it...he's rolling

If you believe everything the media says you are stupid no matter which way you or they lean.
Agreed, once you learn the ability to discern the truth for yourself the media and their false paradigms becomes largely irrelevant/comic relief.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bias is towards generating revenue, selling consumers to advertisers. Whatever draws the most eyes/ears is where their bias is. There is very little useful informational content in most commercial media at this point. In the game they're playing, you're the ball. The media isn't here to serve you, it's here to take advantage of you. That's their bias. Conservative, liberal - just wedges to drive you where they want you to go.

Get off the network news, stop sucking up the click bait - your life will be better all the way around. If enough people did that, if enough people stopped pretending they're actually interested in information rather than just getting emotionally stimulated, if enough people tuned out, I bet we'd get a more useful press out of it eventually. They're giving you what they think you want though, because you don't show them otherwise. Stop treating news/politics as entertainment/sport and maybe we could get actual reporting again.

Complaining about media bias just shows you're taking their offering at face value. It's validation that you're still theirs, giving them exactly what they want. Opt out until they give you what you need instead - unless you actually need what they're currently giving you. But at least be honest with yourself about it then - accept that deep down you don't really want to be informed, you just want the drama.

If you believe everything the media says you are stupid no matter which way you or they lean.
This is true.  However most of the lying leans lefty.  I don't think a social conservative could land a job in 90 percent of the news organizations.  

wat?

exactly- pretty european sounding.

The bias is towards generating revenue, selling consumers to advertisers. Whatever draws the most eyes/ears is where their bias is. There is very little useful informational content in most commercial media at this point. In the game they're playing, you're the ball. The media isn't here to serve you, it's here to take advantage of you. That's their bias. Conservative, liberal - just wedges to drive you where they want you to go.

Get off the network news, stop sucking up the click bait - your life will be better all the way around. If enough people did that, if enough people stopped pretending they're actually interested in information rather than just getting emotionally stimulated, if enough people tuned out, I bet we'd get a more useful press out of it eventually. They're giving you what they think you want though, because you don't show them otherwise. Stop treating news/politics as entertainment/sport and maybe we could get actual reporting again.

Complaining about media bias just shows you're taking their offering at face value. It's validation that you're still theirs, giving them exactly what they want. Opt out until they give you what you need instead - unless you actually need what they're currently giving you. But at least be honest with yourself about it then - accept that deep down you don't really want to be informed, you just want the drama.
Really? They follow orders from above. 

Not irrelevant at all Bob IMO. 

I hate that we are so polar in politics...
No, your comment really was irrelevant to what I was discussing. In fact it was nearly incoherent, a non-sequitur at best. I made no attempt to distinguish who runs commercial media, I simply outlined the motivation behind commercial media and how the appearance of bias is a tool, not a result, in that domain.

"Mr. President, you said there were WMD's in Iraq, is that true?"

"Yes"

"Got it."
"So you're saying that Vince Foster didn't kill himself and was murdered by/for the Clintons?"

"Yes"

"Do you have proof?"

"No...but it really happened that way."

"Okie Dokie!"

No, your comment really was irrelevant to what I was discussing. In fact it was nearly incoherent, a non-sequitur at best. I made no attempt to distinguish who runs commercial media, I simply outlined the motivation behind commercial media and how the appearance of bias is a tool, not a result, in that domain.
:lmao:

My take on it is that far more media leans left, but the media that leans right leans a lot further right.  That is, Fox News is by far the most obviously biased one way and the furthest biased one way, but a lot more (just about everything else) leans to the left to varying degrees.

I have a lot of right wing friends on Facebook so some Hannity post came up the other day and the general perception among them from their time with Fox News seems to be that Trump is polling anywhere from 70-80% and the only way he could possibly lose with those incredible poll numbers is some kind of majorly rigged election.  There was even a related article about Trump potentially being the first candidate to win 100% of the electoral votes  :shock:

Of course it seems incoherent Bob, you don't understand what I am talking about. You buy the commercial that is sold to you. 

You have to think outside the box here. I want you to imagine the Roman Coliseum, just humor me. The Media is like Rome wheeling out Christians but in this case it's the African Americans we see on TV. The media shows black men in/on open air being killed and the media is making $$$ airing it thru family dinner time. I agree with you that we need to put the whole thing down more often. 

The media unleashes the lions or the police and people buy popcorn and soda and DVR it and keep watching it over and over again...

most of the media (except FOX) leans left socially, but seems fairly neutral on most fiscal issues. THe bias isn't obvious outside of specific social issues. Fox tends to lean right on almost every issue, and is rarely subtle, nearly always obvious in their bias.

Users who are viewing this thread