What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Megaton's Million $$ Day Trading Crypto Fantasy** Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Interesting day.   Started off pretty boring, it looked like it was going to be a flat day.  Then I noticed Link had popped 24 percent which has decent trading volume and thought let's try it.  Using about $1000, I started playing the ups and downs like a fiddle and was up $200 hitting a couple large swings up. Then got a bit greedy and missed a bit and tried to double down and the bottom dropped out.  Still ended up $50, but should have squeezed out $300.  

I still can’t figure out how to buy cryptos, and have registered on multiple sites.  I have a BTC wallet, but no way to deposit money.  

I wish you the best of luck, but am bearish on cryptos as I believe if successful, would be a global threat to the US dollar, which I don’t think our government will allow to happen. 

I'm not sure how this million dollar thing is going to work out even if you "win" every day at $50-$300, but I'm no math magician.
It would seem that way.  But it is the power of exponential growth.  3 percent of $5k is a measley $150.  Really does not seem like much. But what happens when you do that 50 times.  Now you have $25k and it is more like $750 per day.   Do 3 percent another 50 times and now you have $100k. 

I still can’t figure out how to buy cryptos, and have registered on multiple sites.  I have a BTC wallet, but no way to deposit money.  

I wish you the best of luck, but am bearish on cryptos as I believe if successful, would be a global threat to the US dollar, which I don’t think our government will allow to happen. 
Coinbase is pretty easy to use and buy a couple basic cryptos. I dumped in a few hundred and it transferred almost instantly. 

It would seem that way.  But it is the power of exponential growth.  3 percent of $5k is a measley $150.  Really does not seem like much. But what happens when you do that 50 times.  Now you have $25k and it is more like $750 per day.   Do 3 percent another 50 times and now you have $100k. 
You might think I'm a ####, but I'm really trying to do you a favor and help you protect your principal here. 

You aren't smarter than the crypto market, stock market, or any other market... No knock on you, I tried day trading and it took me a year of misery to learn the lesson. Between the time, stress, headaches, etc., what an awful grind. I finished the year down 14% (and looking back, that was nothing short of a lucky break). 

Nobody succeeds at day trading, literally, nobody... Even the most successful day traders, most will go bust at some point, regardless of what they say in their newsletters. If they were so successful, they wouldn't have newsletters. 

If you believe so heavily in crypto, buy some #### and hope you're right. All you're going to do with this nonsense is destroy your capital. 

You might think I'm a ####, but I'm really trying to do you a favor and help you protect your principal here. 

You aren't smarter than the crypto market, stock market, or any other market... No knock on you, I tried day trading and it took me a year of misery to learn the lesson. Between the time, stress, headaches, etc., what an awful grind. I finished the year down 14% (and looking back, that was nothing short of a lucky break). 

Nobody succeeds at day trading, literally, nobody... Even the most successful day traders, most will go bust at some point, regardless of what they say in their newsletters. If they were so successful, they wouldn't have newsletters. 

If you believe so heavily in crypto, buy some #### and hope you're right. All you're going to do with this nonsense is destroy your capital. 
I  appreciate what you are saying.  This is a small pot of gambling money.  I have savings and assets and income.  If I lost this tomorrow, it would sting for about a day. Right now it is a side project I enjoy.   I may get to the point where I just decide that it is best to pick a few and hold.   In the meantime I am learning a lot about trends and market timing which can still be applied to a longer term strategy which does not involve daily trading.  The crypto market is still prettt bearish and this is my way of making it tolerable.  As it gets bullish, I will probably adjust. 

haters gonna hate

The most money I ever lost in my life was a Day trade on margin gone sour and got stuck with a bag of a stock I hated but held unto for over a year.  @fantasycurse42 Is right, it’s a slippery slope.  The people that say all you have to do is buy and wait for it to go up and sell it’s so easy are fools and have no long term experience in the market.  I wish you all the best of luck, but please don’t hold the bag, get out and take a minor loss if you have to.  Things like this go sour in a hurry.  Also, you should be winning about 80% of the days.  Stocks go up like stairs and down like elevators.  So you could be breaking even on 3% gains as a -12% could be just as likely to wipe them back out.  Food for thought, best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I  appreciate what you are saying.  This is a small pot of gambling money.  I have savings and assets and income.  If I lost this tomorrow, it would sting for about a day. Right now it is a side project I enjoy.   I may get to the point where I just decide that it is best to pick a few and hold.   In the meantime I am learning a lot about trends and market timing which can still be applied to a longer term strategy which does not involve daily trading.  The crypto market is still prettt bearish and this is my way of making it tolerable.  As it gets bullish, I will probably adjust. 
If it's play money, ignore the haters and have fun.  I'll casually check in here and there out of curiosity. I truly hope you crush it.

But as for the bolded...  :lmao:

You don't think you learn by doing?  What do you suggest?  
I think you'll learn plenty.  How to "time the market" won't be one of those things. That's all.  (Unless I'm misunderstanding your comment about market timing.)

I honestly would love to hear more about what's going into your analysis of when to buy and when to sell. 

I think you'll learn plenty.  How to "time the market" won't be one of those things. That's all.  (Unless I'm misunderstanding your comment about market timing.)

I honestly would love to hear more about what's going into your analysis of when to buy and when to sell. 
Ok.  Let me give you an example.  As my GF was getting ready for dinner I saw LINK starting another run.   I knew it was another BS pump and dump but I caught it early and jumped in just as it was taking off.   I bought in LINK/ETH pair for about $1300 worth at 0.0006800.   I could not really watch the sale point so I set to sell at .0007098.   By the time I sat down in the restaurant it had gone up to .0007160 and back down .0006730.  I had $55 more in my account without much effort.  That is called learning market timing.   If I was able to watch it, I probably would have been all in as I caught it early enough where there was low risk.

Ok.  Let me give you an example.  As my GF was getting ready for dinner I saw LINK starting another run.   I knew it was another BS pump and dump but I caught it early and jumped in just as it was taking off.   I bought in LINK/ETH pair for about $1300 worth at 0.0006800.   I could not really watch the sale point so I set to sell at .0007098.   By the time I sat down in the restaurant it had gone up to .0007160 and back down .0006730.  I had $55 more in my account without much effort.  That is called learning market timing.   If I was able to watch it, I probably would have been all in as I caught it early enough where there was low risk.
Your approach is called guessing.  Or hoping.  Maybe more accurately described as praying.  But one thing you WILL NOT LEARN IS TIMING. I. WILL. NOT. LEARN. HOW. TO. TIME. THE. MARKET. Write that on the chalk board 100 times. Doesn't matter if you think Crypto is different or more easily predictable.  You're guessing, based on nothing other than a hunch.

Your point appears to be that you can somehow magically tell when a stock is "starting a run."  When a "BS pump and dump" is about to be the driving factor behind that run.  (I'm actually shaking my head as I type this.) So that's when you buy, and you set a modest gain as when to sell?  And I'm assuming you're setting a stop loss as well?  If you had set to sell at .00072 instead of .000716, you'd still be sitting on your LINK/ETH...and it's now at .000649.

Man, good luck.  As long as you're also setting stop losses this shouldn't end as a bloodbath, but sure seems like you're going to spend an awful lot of time grinding singular 3% gains and losses that leave you sitting in no better position than if you had just shoved the money in a .001% interest bearing savings account.  

But I'm in. :popcorn:

Your approach is called guessing.  Or hoping.  Maybe more accurately described as praying.  But one thing you WILL NOT LEARN IS TIMING. I. WILL. NOT. LEARN. HOW. TO. TIME. THE. MARKET. Write that on the chalk board 100 times. Doesn't matter if you think Crypto is different or more easily predictable.  You're guessing, based on nothing other than a hunch.

Your point appears to be that you can somehow magically tell when a stock is "starting a run."  When a "BS pump and dump" is about to be the driving factor behind that run.  (I'm actually shaking my head as I type this.) So that's when you buy, and you set a modest gain as when to sell?  And I'm assuming you're setting a stop loss as well?  If you had set to sell at .00072 instead of .000716, you'd still be sitting on your LINK/ETH...and it's now at .000649.

Man, good luck.  As long as you're also setting stop losses this shouldn't end as a bloodbath, but sure seems like you're going to spend an awful lot of time grinding singular 3% gains and losses that leave you sitting in no better position than if you had just shoved the money in a .001% interest bearing savings account.  

But I'm in. :popcorn:
IDK, these coins bounce off the 25 and 99 5-minute moving averages like it is the Bible.  It is very predictable when something is going to break up or down.   Figuring out the top is guess work.  

But today's action is awesome.   LiteCoin had a huge deal with a deal where you will be able to use them with standard ATMs.  If it keeps moving I may net $1000 today.  

You're aware, had you just bought and held days ago, you'd be way out in front of where you are now? This is the point I've been trying to drive home - if you believe in the asset, buy it and hold it... That will FAR OUTPERFORM your day trading strategy.

You're aware, had you just bought and held days ago, you'd be way out in front of where you are now? This is the point I've been trying to drive home - if you believe in the asset, buy it and hold it... That will FAR OUTPERFORM your day trading strategy.
Only if I happened to be in LTC, which I hadn't touched up to this point.  So I seriously doubt it. 

Specifically the day I started this thread, ETH was at $897.   It just crossed $900 a minute ago.   

:popcorn: good luck

Do you own BNB coins to decrease the fees on trades?
I use it sometimes.  Not too often.  I generally park is USDT so I just go directly into NEO, BTC, LTC, or ETH from there .  If I play with smaller coins that are not paired with USDT, I may is BNB.   Even then the volume is small with BNB pairs so you get scalped more getting in and out of trades. 

1.  Most important - Do not chase pumps.  It's the quickest way to get robbed in this market.  

2.  Sell your alts at different levels on the way up (same with buying when suppressed, average down).  

3.  Do your own research and avoid riding the coat-tails of someone else (no matter how smart you think they are).  Every good trader has their own unique style that makes them successful.  

5.  Diversify your portfolio in quality projects that have good project road maps and long term outlook.  

4. HODL

5. Profit 

A very good day, but should have been a great day.   Started off catching the front end of a huge run by LTC.  Was up about $600 and it was still rolling when I had to have a meeting with my customer.   LTC was sitting at $210 at the time.  I decided to sell out half and let the other half roll while I was busy.  During that time it went up to $218 and then down to $208 when I returned .  I missed out of probably another $250.  That kind of irritated me and I try to recapture that lost opportunity with some stupid moves, and instead gave back another $150.   Overall I ended up with a gain of $462.   I may let some ride tonight on LTC and see what happens overnight in Asia.   

Overnight went pretty well, I was up over $200.  I thought everything looked good for the day so I thought I would put everything in and I could just play the hold game today.  Then LTC went from $231 to $228 and I said screw this hold em stuff.  Pulled out.   Waiting for it to drop to the $218 range now. 

Ok.  As LTC was falling, I thought I would grab a small position, 25%, at $218.   It finally looked like it was going to rebound at $212, so I went all in when it started to go up to $213.  This happened over just a few minutes.   But it reversed again and I bailed out 50 percent at $211.  It fell to $210 and I was trying to get all back in at $215.  But instead I was in the sell screen and sold my position.   ####!   So I figured that out but by the time I could buy it was over $218.   Then I sold out 50 percent at $222 and am holding the rest.   What a mess.  It should have been a winning trade, but instead  ended with lucky if I broke even, probably lost a bit.   But still better than holding from $230.  Trading on a phone is far from ideal. 

Any updates here? There's been a lot of movement the past week or so. I bought LTC at $138 just before its recent run. Sold enough off that everything from this point forward is house money. 

Curious to hear how much of your mansion is being built right now. 

Ok.  As LTC was falling, I thought I would grab a small position, 25%, at $218.   It finally looked like it was going to rebound at $212, so I went all in when it started to go up to $213.  This happened over just a few minutes.   But it reversed again and I bailed out 50 percent at $211.  It fell to $210 and I was trying to get all back in at $215.  But instead I was in the sell screen and sold my position.   ####!   So I figured that out but by the time I could buy it was over $218.   Then I sold out 50 percent at $222 and am holding the rest.   What a mess.  It should have been a winning trade, but instead  ended with lucky if I broke even, probably lost a bit.   But still better than holding from $230.  Trading on a phone is far from ideal. 
Sounds about right.

Despite not liking the “math” being used here, I would like to see a FBG hit it big with cryptos (also cheering for the Cav and friends). It’s been just about a week since the last update on the OP. Tomorrow I’m expecting an update @Megaton . And it better have a lot of green up arrows young man.

Despite not liking the “math” being used here, I would like to see a FBG hit it big with cryptos (also cheering for the Cav and friends). It’s been just about a week since the last update on the OP. Tomorrow I’m expecting an update @Megaton . And it better have a lot of green up arrows young man.
The math being used is just fine.  There is a little device which is called a calculator which you may verify if you wish.  Thank you.   As for an update.  Well I had a four day weekend and my gf was feeling neglected because I was spending too much time on crypto.  So I fell back to FC42 recommended strategy of buy and hold (despite my far superior results to date).  I bought a few major coins like BTC and ETH and the results at first were decent, but then became a total disaster.  My account had gone from $5500 down to about $4750 in the several day experiment.  My gf was happy, but the results sucked ###.   Most of my hard work was down the tubes.

So I regrouped and looked for some good day trading options and NANO caught my eye.  I dabbled in day trading it with very good results, but this little pony would not quit.  It just kept going up and I was wasting my time day trading it as it's pullbacks were few and small.  I was better off just riding this pony.  I have been watching it closely, but for the most part just watching my account balance rise up.  Currently sitting at just shy of $6k.  So despite the horrific advise and pressure from my gf which caused a major setback, I am back in the game.  

Keep those updates coming Megaton.

TIL - In the crypto universe, "buy and hold" = 3 days.
Unless it is a pump and dumper.  Then the buy and hold is 5 minutes.   I am thinking about a strategy for those as there is potential to make money, but very high risk.  But snapping off about 3 percent in a 15 minute window is a nice days work.  

They are kind of interesting and they are quite abundant.   It seems you have your P&D masters who will accumulate a nice position in a lowly traded coin over a couple hour period trying not to push the value up.   Then they have their minions on standby ready to initiated massive buying when they are told which coin it will be.  Over the next 15 minutes or so the minions start buying and pimping the coin on message boards.  The coin will typically rise about 10 percent in those 15 minutes which the Masters will reel a large portion of the profit.   The minions are told to sell which depending on how much outside buying there is leaves some profit for them.   In the meantime you have robots sniping off some profit and newbies getting sucked in.   And you end up with some greedy minions and newbies holding the bag of overpriced coins trying to sell them.  There are variations, but that is the most common run of events. 

Me too.  Nothing but best wishes for you guys as you try to get rich with that electronic money
I hope crypto is the answer to our debt-based currency.   There is a serious inherent problem with a system which requires the debt to expand in order for the economy to expand.   It is an endless game of too little currency chasing around more debt than could ever be paid off.  The only way to maintain a standard of living is for an ever increasing population to take on an ever increasing debt load.   Crypto has the potential to reduce the need for debt and offer a more efficient payment system without the need for something like VISA to tack on 4 percent to be buried in the cost of everything we purchase.   

:shrug:    Bought and held a bunch of Amazon stock several years ago.  Makes me $1000 a trading day on average right now and just keeps going.  

You know, like doing research, finding something you like, purchasing it, and holding it - sorry if such a simple concept goes beyond you  :shrug:
You're missing the point.  The experiment here is to make a million dollars in a year's time.  He is not going to do that picking a few and holding them with an initial 4k investment.  Especially when you consider most coins move relative to bitcoin's price anyway.  This doesn't happen without him taking some gambles and playing the volatility.  

You're missing the point.  The experiment here is to make a million dollars in a year's time.  He is not going to do that picking a few and holding them with an initial 4k investment.  Especially when you consider most coins move relative to bitcoin's price anyway.  This doesn't happen without him taking some gambles and playing the volatility.  
I'm sorry, I'm not missing the point - nobody day trades successfully, and in the history of the world, nobody has ever taken $4k to $1MM in a year's time day trading.

My whole point was trying to save the OP $4k, or to at least invest it in something he believes in. 

At this point though, a fool and his money are soon parted... carry on.

I'm sorry, I'm not missing the point - nobody day trades successfully, and in the history of the world, nobody has ever taken $4k to $1MM in a year's time day trading.

My whole point was trying to save the OP $4k, or to at least invest it in something he believes in. 

At this point though, a fool and his money are soon parted... carry on.
No one gets what you're trying to say here. Can you please explain it, again?

$1MM in a year is obviously a bit optimistic but the OP is putting himself out there which is admirable in itself. Keep on keeping on, @Megatron and best of luck. Most of us wish you the best.

IMO, if someone disagrees with the premise of someone else's thread then that individual should state their peace once (if they have to) and then ####. It's rude and immature to continually bash someone in their own thread with the same ignorant crap over and over.

IMO, if someone disagrees with the premise of someone else's thread then that individual should state their peace once (if they have to) and then ####. It's rude and immature to continually bash someone in their own thread with the same ignorant crap over and over.
Bro, he's just looking out for megatons' 4 thousand dollars.  He tried daytrading once- it doesn't work.  He wants to save him the $4k because daytrading is stupid, crypto isn't even regulated.  

Users who are viewing this thread