What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Men are officially on notice and bro culture is dying (2 Viewers)

Even though I have no idea what bro culture is, I'm pretty sure that I like it better than some stupid forced concatenation like bro-ture or brociology 

Women are now speaking out against locker room talk, harassment and bro culture. Feminsm is now becoming more and more popular due to the Harvey Weinstein scandal.  How will you guys survive without making any sexist jokes?
LOL at women coming forward about sexual assault allegations being "feminism".  

sublimeone said:
When I think 'bro culture' Mark Wahlberg, The Rock, Vin Diesel come to mind... The guys getting accused of this stuff aren't really 'bro's' IMO.
No, those guys are hot so it's ok for them to hit on/objectify women.  It's only the ugly ones that are in trouble.

My job I work with mostly women and some are a lot worse than men.   Like anyone else, you have to pick and choose who to joke around with ... but now if you are talking to Suzy and Jane overhears and is offended you can still get in trouble.    I dunno work from home is best and just talk #### on the internet.

General Malaise said:
Hideous music.  So dumb.  Every bro country song must mention:

- Ice cold beer
- Women
- Trucks
- The man upstairs

Every single bro country song I've ever hard has mentions those four things.  What a stupid genre of music.  
Wait, that's really a genre of music? Fascinating and actually scary.

My wife started at her place of employment in 1986 as a part time mail delivery girl. She used to have to drive mail to the airport as well as do all the in house deliveries. She worked her way up applying for and getting numerous different jobs/functions within the company. She still works there (though the company was sold to a German company) is very successful, semi high level in the company. She travels all over the world: Stuttgart Germany, Beijing, Poland, several trips to Jaurez, Mexico, drives back and forth to Michigan all the time (we're in NY).

In one of her very first interviews-I think it was her first full time (went from 19 hours/week to 32 hours/week)-she was only about 19-20. The guy who interviewed her caught her in passing outside and asked to interview her inside his van. She said nothing happened, it was a real job interview, etc.  I flipped out and said "He can't do that", etc etc. I wanted her to call HR and complain. She insisted she wouldn't, didn't want to make waves, etc. My wife was kind of naive, she started working right out of high school, only later getting a 2 year degree. She was adamant that the guy just used bad judgement. So she let it go but the worse thing was she said other people working there always cracked jokes about it around her and teased the guy who interviewed her. I was only like 24-25 at the time and I was astounded at the bad judgement.

My wife started at her place of employment in 1986 as a part time mail delivery girl. She used to have to drive mail to the airport as well as do all the in house deliveries. She worked her way up applying for and getting numerous different jobs/functions within the company. She still works there (though the company was sold to a German company) is very successful, semi high level in the company. She travels all over the world: Stuttgart Germany, Beijing, Poland, several trips to Jaurez, Mexico, drives back and forth to Michigan all the time (we're in NY).

In one of her very first interviews-I think it was her first full time (went from 19 hours/week to 32 hours/week)-she was only about 19-20. The guy who interviewed her caught her in passing outside and asked to interview her inside his van. She said nothing happened, it was a real job interview, etc.  I flipped out and said "He can't do that", etc etc. I wanted her to call HR and complain. She insisted she wouldn't, didn't want to make waves, etc. My wife was kind of naive, she started working right out of high school, only later getting a 2 year degree. She was adamant that the guy just used bad judgement. So she let it go but the worse thing was she said other people working there always cracked jokes about it around her and teased the guy who interviewed her. I was only like 24-25 at the time and I was astounded at the bad judgement.
So why did he want to interview her inside a van...only to not make a move or anything?

Honestly, frat and bro culture should have died circa the 80s.  Any of that #### lingering is unacceptable. It’s lame, cheap, stupid, tawdry, uninteresting, played, disrespectful, boring, neither fun nor funny, not clever, unintelligent, counterproductive, and lots of other stuff. 

Honestly, frat and bro culture should have died circa the 80s.  Any of that #### lingering is unacceptable. It’s lame, cheap, stupid, tawdry, uninteresting, played, disrespectful, boring, neither fun nor funny, not clever, unintelligent, counterproductive, and lots of other stuff. 
That's right Neidermeyer!

McGarnicle said:
I still think a small percentage of men are responsible for 90% of the harassment, but it's pretty jarring to see how widespread it is. It's nauseating to see all the allegations coming out, but it's a watershed moment for victims. If people are no longer ashamed, no longer blaming themselves and feel emboldened to speak out, that can only be good. I hope it continues so that the risk of exposure is so great that it becomes a rare thing. 
:thumbup:

Wait, that's a real thing?
Oh yeah.  My SILs ex-husband listened to bro country constantly.  Used to carry his mobile blue tooth speaker with him all over the house so he could listen to it. He had an IQ that hovered around the average temperature of San Diego.  I am glad he's gone, but with me forever is the knowledge that every Bro Country song is cookie cutter bad and must mention God, women, trucks and ice cold beer.  It is comically bad.  This is the base that voted for Trump and thinks we are now soft for exposing sexual assault. 

Not exactly sure what "bro culture" is exactly, but this is having zero impact on my life. I treat women with respect, but see no reason why I can't joke around with my guy friends like I always have. My sense of humor is a lot of really extreme, graphic, shock-value type stuff but people who really know me know it's shtick. And with my wife, it's always been a 50/50 deal based on mutual respect and accountability. Nothing has changed on that front. I don't ever see her taking an opportunity like this to start trying to ##### whip me and I think she knows it wouldn't work anyway. 

If you're an honorable man there's no reason to feel threatened in any way by this stuff. These are all positive developments imo. Women have been getting shat on forever, and we were delusional to think things were significantly better now than 20 or 30 years ago.
OK MG,

This appears to be a highly liked post, and I am not going to come out and say I totally disagree with it, but it has caused to me to think of a thought experiment that may be valid...or may be invalid.

What if I/you/anybody said this:

Not exactly sure what "bro culture" is exactly, but this is having zero impact on my life. I treat women (insert any ethnic group/sexual orientation group/gender identity group in place of "women") with respect, but see no reason why I can't joke around with my guy (insert: "white/straight/cis") friends like I always have. My sense of humor is a lot of really extreme, graphic, shock-value type stuff but people who really know me know it's shtick. And with my wife ,(insert: black/gay/trans friends) it's always been a 50/50 deal based on mutual respect and accountability. Nothing has changed on that front. I don't ever see her (insert: "them") them taking an opportunity like this to start trying to ##### whip me and I think she (insert: "they") knows it wouldn't work anyway. 

If you're an honorable man there's no reason to feel threatened in any way by this stuff. These are all positive developments imo. Women (Insert "minorities/gays/trans gendered people)have been getting shat on forever, and we were delusional to think things were significantly better now than 20 or 30 years ago.
Again, I am not trying to attack your intent. And, most importantly, I am not trying to be "holier than thou". As a 49 year old, straight, white, cis male, I have made many mistakes in this area during my past. I regret those mistakes and am trying look at these current events as a way to further improve my perspective.

Thus, I saw this thought experiment, and I am asking all here to think about it. 

Am I way off base here? 

Do my edits not compare apples to apples?

:shrug:

OK MG,

This appears to be a highly liked post, and I am not going to come out and say I totally disagree with it, but it has caused to me to think of a thought experiment that may be valid...or may be invalid.

What if I/you/anybody said this:

Again, I am not trying to attack your intent. And, most importantly, I am not trying to be "holier than thou". As a 49 year old, straight, white, cis male, I have made many mistakes in this area during my past. I regret those mistakes and am trying look at these current events as a way to further improve my perspective.

Thus, I saw this thought experiment, and I am asking all here to think about it. 

Am I way off base here? 

Do my edits not compare apples to apples?

:shrug:
Any time you need to limit your comments or jokes to a specific subset of your friends you probably need to think about whether there joke should be said at all. 

McG basically used the same argument Trump would have for his bus comments. Not to say he treats women the same, but just for that specific instance. 

These days you're accepting risk whenever you say or do anything you wouldn't want video taped and sent to a major media outlet. 

Any time you need to limit your comments or jokes to a specific subset of your friends you probably need to think about whether there joke should be said at all. 

McG basically used the same argument Trump would have for his bus comments. Not to say he treats women the same, but just for that specific instance. 

These days you're accepting risk whenever you say or do anything you wouldn't want video taped and sent to a major media outlet. 
I recently went on a road trip with two other married friends to Nashville to watch a football game. One of these guys I've known for almost 20 years and was my wingman when we were single dudes in our prime, going out 3 or 4 nights a week drinking and raising hell. He's now married with two kids, so getting to travel with him sans family obligations was a nice blast from the past. We got hammered all weekend and the topic of conversation tended to veer in the usual direction, hot girls and all the various ways we would enjoy ourselves with them. In retrospect maybe not as graphic as when I was younger, but still not stuff we'd repeat around our wives. We laughed our asses off and just had a great time. Then drove home to our wives and went back to work on Monday. 

If anyone has a problem with what I described above, I'm honestly not interested. 

Not exactly sure what "bro culture" is exactly, but this is having zero impact on my life. I treat women with respect, but see no reason why I can't joke around with my guy friends like I always have. My sense of humor is a lot of really extreme, graphic, shock-value type stuff but people who really know me know it's shtick. And with my wife, it's always been a 50/50 deal based on mutual respect and accountability. Nothing has changed on that front. I don't ever see her taking an opportunity like this to start trying to ##### whip me and I think she knows it wouldn't work anyway. 

If you're an honorable man there's no reason to feel threatened in any way by this stuff. These are all positive developments imo. Women have been getting shat on forever, and we were delusional to think things were significantly better now than 20 or 30 years ago.
The problem is, the yardsticks keep moving, so your "extreme graphic shock value" stuff may be seen as dropping n bombs soon enough with the prism of the past. 

This is not to compare with the Weinstein stuff or anything but the weinstein inch is turning into a mile by other accounts.

This Louie CK stuff is deranged, perverted and desperate/pathetic.  It would not be my move, it would not be a move that would occur to me.  But he did this stuff as a club comic from what I understand and sought consent which presumably was granted.  How it becomes an issue now, well, regret is not harassement, its life experience.

No means no.  Yes now apparently also can mean no.

Bro culture is funny.   Even those that hated trump laughed at him and laughed is involutary.

Do we really want these dizzy broads deciding whats funny?

Did you ever hear women talk to each other.   What they think is funny? 

Woman 1: Oh so I went to starbucks after picking up Jeremy, and I got a latte and I saw Joyce there also getting a latte

Woman 2: oh my god that is SO funny

The problem is, the yardsticks keep moving, so your "extreme graphic shock value" stuff may be seen as dropping n bombs soon enough with the prism of the past. 

This is not to compare with the Weinstein stuff or anything but the weinstein inch is turning into a mile by other accounts.

This Louie CK stuff is deranged, perverted and desperate/pathetic.  It would not be my move, it would not be a move that would occur to me.  But he did this stuff as a club comic from what I understand and sought consent which presumably was granted.  How it becomes an issue now, well, regret is not harassement, its life experience.

No means no.  Yes now apparently also can mean no.
What do you mean by club comic? When the events happened, he was a big deal in the world of comedy. One of the women said it happened during their filming of a TV pilot. Another was when he was the producer and writer for The Chris Rock Show. He did get consent- but I think they are basically calling him out for being disgusting and using his position to get women to go a long with something that they normally would never have considered. He's not going to jail or anything, but people now know he's a creep. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro culture is funny.   Even those that hated trump laughed at him and laughed is involutary.

Do we really want these dizzy broads deciding whats funny?

Did you ever hear women talk to each other.   What they think is funny? 

Woman 1: Oh so I went to starbucks after picking up Jeremy, and I got a latte and I saw Joyce there also getting a latte

Woman 2: oh my god that is SO funny
https://media1.tenor.com/images/885c623b9b0de66999c393ccf8ea28ad/tenor.gif?itemid=3546824

Not aimed at you GB but when I think of grown men who still display this bro/frat/doosh attitude I think of Manhattan attorneys and Wall St types. Maybe that’s just an unfair assumption from a guy in flyover country. 

I recently went on a road trip with two other married friends to Nashville to watch a football game. One of these guys I've known for almost 20 years and was my wingman when we were single dudes in our prime, going out 3 or 4 nights a week drinking and raising hell. He's now married with two kids, so getting to travel with him sans family obligations was a nice blast from the past. We got hammered all weekend and the topic of conversation tended to veer in the usual direction, hot girls and all the various ways we would enjoy ourselves with them. In retrospect maybe not as graphic as when I was younger, but still not stuff we'd repeat around our wives. We laughed our asses off and just had a great time. Then drove home to our wives and went back to work on Monday. 

If anyone has a problem with what I described above, I'm honestly not interested. 
You seem like an intelligent guy who is knowingly assessing and accepting the risk. 

Brony said:
Even though I have no idea what bro culture is, I'm pretty sure that I like it better than some stupid forced concatenation like bro-ture or brociology 
Think Barstool Sports (PFT exempt) and rally caps.

Seattle elected lesbian women as Mayor and as Sheriff last week. I voted for both of them (the other mayoral candidate was also a woman). I honestly didn’t know #### about either candidate for Sheriff, thought it would be good to have a new perspective and funny to have a head cop named “Mitzi” bossing all the other cops around.

I hope they do great jobs but the first time they #### up, which will happen in those crap jobs they now hold, they are going to need to get blasted.

Will be curious to see how super liberal Seattle handles it. 

What do you mean by club comic? When the events happened, he was a big deal in the world of comedy. One of the women said it happened during their filming of a TV pilot. Another was when he was the producer and writer for The Chris Rock Show. He did get consent- but I think they are basically calling him out for being disgusting and using his position to get women to go a long with something that they normally would never have considered. He's not going to jail or anything, but people now know he's a creep. 
Was this in doubt listening to his act?

louie was in a weird Nether land. He was a fringe guy who had tremendous mainstream comedy success and was in a good place in terms of tv and looked to be making the auteur turn into film. 

He was no longer the scumbag he was on opie and Anthony, now he was Brooklyn louie, in glasses and black and white.  Wait til those tapes start circulating. 

Was this in doubt listening to his act?

louie was in a weird Nether land. He was a fringe guy who had tremendous mainstream comedy success and was in a good place in terms of tv and looked to be making the auteur turn into film.

He was no longer the scumbag he was on opie and Anthony, now he was Brooklyn louie, in glasses and black and white.  Wait til those tapes start circulating. 
I'm very curious to see what happens with I Love You Daddy. Presumably he owns the rights and could sell it on his own site for $5 a pop? Then could he get the backing to keep making movies (or just finance them himself)?

Woody Allen would seem like a very apt comparison here, ironically CK's idol. 

I'm very curious to see what happens with I Love You Daddy. Presumably he owns the rights and could sell it on his own site for $5 a pop? Then could he get the backing to keep making movies (or just finance them himself)?

Woody Allen would seem like a very apt comparison here, ironically CK's idol. 
He might consider doing that and donating all the money. Idk, it's a tough spot. If I'm him, I would just disappear.

What might one find in these tapes? I'm not familiar. Just pulled one up on youtube and couldn't get past 2 minutes. Looks like a massive catalog of him on the show is right there, full shows. 

Users who are viewing this thread