What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mendenhall (1 Viewer)

Mendenhall is one of the most physically gifted backs in the league. If you don't think so then name a few backs his size that can match his speed , power, agility, and hands at his age. And he proved it on the field as well. If he goes to a team that marries one RB he's arguably a first round pick and he'll likely get 1200+ yards and 10+ TD's. A team like GB, ATL, Ari, or the Jets would be perfect. I just landed him in the 7th round of a dynasty startup right after Ballard and Quiz Rogers lmao. Now im just waiting for his talent to meet a good situation.  

Mark Ingram is the worse back on his own team. He's only ok because of the team he plays for and not because he's overly gifted  No way he should be mentioned with a proven commodity like Mendenhall. 
That's my whole problem with Mendenhall. He isn't gifted at all. He's just another guy and with the stink of last year and his whining, I don't see a team letting him start. I wouldn't mind getting him cheap but the guy who owns him always seems to think he's actually good.
:rolleyes:
Be honest, watch him and Ivory on film and tell me that Mendenhall is more talented.Guys with way more talent:

Rice

Foster

Richardson

McCoy

Martin

Peterson

Lynch

Charles

Spiller

Forte

McFadden

Ridley

Mathews (health and heart is another question)

David Wilson

MJD

Chris Johnson

Sproles

Stewart

Bush

Gore

Ben Tate

Guys with more talent

Stephen Jackson

Fred Jackson

Bryce Brown

Robert Turbin

Bradshaw

Deangelo Williams

Vereen

Pierce

Ivory

So, how is he an elite talent again?
I didn't say he's elite. He's at least an average NFL back. I'd probably put him in the bottom third of your "way more talent". I think he's as good as Matthews and Ridley. Remember, the Steelers o-line has been horrible. Stats in this case don't tell the whole story.

Mendenhall is one of the most physically gifted backs in the league. If you don't think so then name a few backs his size that can match his speed , power, agility, and hands at his age. And he proved it on the field as well. If he goes to a team that marries one RB he's arguably a first round pick and he'll likely get 1200+ yards and 10+ TD's. A team like GB, ATL, Ari, or the Jets would be perfect. I just landed him in the 7th round of a dynasty startup right after Ballard and Quiz Rogers lmao. Now im just waiting for his talent to meet a good situation.

Mark Ingram is the worse back on his own team. He's only ok because of the team he plays for and not because he's overly gifted No way he should be mentioned with a proven commodity like Mendenhall.
That's my whole problem with Mendenhall. He isn't gifted at all. He's just another guy and with the stink of last year and his whining, I don't see a team letting him start. I wouldn't mind getting him cheap but the guy who owns him always seems to think he's actually good.
:rolleyes:
Be honest, watch him and Ivory on film and tell me that Mendenhall is more talented.Guys with way more talent:

Rice

Foster

Richardson

McCoy

Martin

Peterson

Lynch

Charles

Spiller

Forte

McFadden

Ridley

Mathews (health and heart is another question)

David Wilson

MJD

Chris Johnson

Sproles

Stewart

Bush

Gore

Ben Tate

Guys with more talent

Stephen Jackson

Fred Jackson

Bryce Brown

Robert Turbin

Bradshaw

Deangelo Williams

Vereen

Pierce

Ivory

So, how is he an elite talent again?
Asuming this list is not debatable all you did was show that RB's are a dime a dozen. :thumbup: Now how many of those guys will possibly land in a better situation in 2013?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mendenhall is one of the most physically gifted backs in the league.
Asuming this list is not debatable all you did was show that RB's are a dime a dozen. :thumbup:Now how many of those guys will possibly land in a better situation in 2013?
I thought you were the one who said Mendenhall was one of the most gifted backs in football and dared people to say he wasn't. I don't know why but there are a lot of guys saying he's elite lately. If you aren't top 5 you aren't elite and this guy might not be top 20. The steelers were probably actually close to a perfect fit for him. A volume guy without any receiving skills. If he had any brains he should have acted like a team guy last year and he'd probably be back starting with the Steelers. As it is he looks closer to a lottery ticket. If he lands in Atlanta, great. If he ends up in a time-share with Jonathon Stewart, Tolbert and Newton--not so great.Almost all the guys I listed are in better situations. They are the starter for an NFL team. Not a guy out of work, probably looking to go in and be a backup and watch from the bench. If the talent is similiar than why is he ahead of any of those guys?

'voiceofunreason said:
Mendenhall is one of the most physically gifted backs in the league.
Asuming this list is not debatable all you did was show that RB's are a dime a dozen. :thumbup:Now how many of those guys will possibly land in a better situation in 2013?
I thought you were the one who said Mendenhall was one of the most gifted backs in football and dared people to say he wasn't. I don't know why but there are a lot of guys saying he's elite lately. If you aren't top 5 you aren't elite and this guy might not be top 20. The steelers were probably actually close to a perfect fit for him. A volume guy without any receiving skills. If he had any brains he should have acted like a team guy last year and he'd probably be back starting with the Steelers. As it is he looks closer to a lottery ticket. If he lands in Atlanta, great. If he ends up in a time-share with Jonathon Stewart, Tolbert and Newton--not so great.Almost all the guys I listed are in better situations. They are the starter for an NFL team. Not a guy out of work, probably looking to go in and be a backup and watch from the bench. If the talent is similiar than why is he ahead of any of those guys?
I said he's one of those most physically gifted, I didn't mention elite. All of those guys are not better athletes than Mendenhall in terms of Size/speed/agility/hands that I have record of. Heart/Vision/ect.. Idk, maybe he really does need a doctor. And you said he doesn't have hands. He caught 30 something balls his jr year in college and 70% of his targets in the NFL. I could argue that Pitt doesn't throw him the ball. As far as that list there's a numbers of guys who are either not as athletic, haven't matched his production, will be backups or aging. Your right about him being a lottery ticket I guess. For my sake I hope he goes somewhere and be a main carry back. That's the only reason I purchased the ticket.

And you said he doesn't have hands. He caught 30 something balls his jr year in college and 70% of his targets in the NFL. I could argue that Pitt doesn't throw him the ball.
He's an above average receiving back who had an offensive coordinator that said this week:"They are back there because they are runners and pass-protectors," Arians told the Cardinals' official website. "Will we throw to the backs? Yeah. But the receivers are the ones paid to catch it."Might have something to do with the lack of receiving opportunity for Mendenhall in Pittsburgh.Ditto that for Vick Ballard, btw. He's a good receiving back that didn't have many passes thrown his way last year.

And you said he doesn't have hands. He caught 30 something balls his jr year in college and 70% of his targets in the NFL. I could argue that Pitt doesn't throw him the ball.
He's an above average receiving back who had an offensive coordinator that said this week:"They are back there because they are runners and pass-protectors," Arians told the Cardinals' official website. "Will we throw to the backs? Yeah. But the receivers are the ones paid to catch it."

Might have something to do with the lack of receiving opportunity for Mendenhall in Pittsburgh.

Ditto that for Vick Ballard, btw. He's a good receiving back that didn't have many passes thrown his way last year.
Sounds just like something Todd Haley would say/think

I just finished two FFPC 30 round re-drafts. Best ball style, with college players available. Mendy went as the 44th RB in the first one. He was the guy's 4th RB, after Rice, Miller and A Brown.In the 2nd one, I picked him up as the 41st RB off the board. He'll also be my 4th RB, behind Charles, Forte, and Lacy.

Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Steelers

Profootballtalk.com reports the Broncos are likely to sign free agent Rashard Mendenhall.

The Cardinals and Dolphins are also interested. Mendenhall's market has been surprisingly strong coming off a down year after tearing his ACL in 2011. Mendenhall averaged 3.6 YPC on 51 totes last season. If Denver lands him, it likely means Willis McGahee will be released.

Related: Broncos

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Mar 12 - 9:40 PM

Mendenhall's market has been surprisingly strong
No surprise. People don't get it if they think teams wouldn't be lining up to sign this guy.
He has sucked for the most part of the last 2 years. That is fact.
Barely played in 2012. Averaged 4.1 YPC in 2011. He's no Hall of Famer, but there's a reason why several of the teams with RB vacancies are sniffing around. Sounds like Arizona, Miami, or Denver will take him off the market soon.

Really hopes he doesn't get out of Arizona. (This poster is heavily invested in Lamar Miller; with some investments in Denver RBs)

No surprise. People don't get it if they think teams wouldn't be lining up to sign this guy.
Barely played in 2012. Averaged 4.1 YPC in 2011. He's no Hall of Famer, but there's a reason why several of the teams with RB vacancies are sniffing around. Sounds like Arizona, Miami, or Denver will take him off the market soon.
Yeah, he's definitely a very talented back. Another year removed from that injury will help too.

'Dez said:
'EBF said:
'eefflrat said:
Its been a while, but from what I remember from watching his carries in 2011 (particularly in the middle of the year iirc), I liked what I saw despite the low ypc numbers. This would explain how he managed to find a home on a number of my teams (that, and once I got him, no one would take him off my hands). Now what I saw in 2011 may be irrelevant post-injury, but he did at least look good in his first game back last year, so I’m guessing that he will be decent going forward. Good enough at least as a speculative buy if you can get him cheap (“cheap” now being the back end of the first round in rookie drafts).

'EBF said:
'eefflrat said:
I'm surprised too. I am still waiting on the money part; he obviously hasn't been blown away yet. But good signs so far for Mendenhall owners. I still think mid/low dyasty RB2 is his upside and signing in Miami or Arizona won't do his owners any favors. Denver, on the other hand, could be great for him.

I know these guys only play for a few years and that they have to live the rest of their lives on the $$ they pull down in that small window, but...

How much more money would Arizona have to offer you to convince you to come there instead of Denver? Crappy organization, no QB, no O-line, head coach who's already proved he doesn't know how to use you.

Enough money is enough money -- I'd go where I could win.

How much more money would Arizona have to offer you to convince you to come there instead of Denver? Crappy organization, no QB, no O-line, head coach who's already proved he doesn't know how to use you.
We're talking about a guy getting, likely, his last (and only) big contract. This is where the rest of his life's money is likely to come from. 1-2 million a year over 3 years is a huge deal. An extra 2.5 million guaranteed is a huge deal. I just don't know if this guys meets the "enough money is enough" criteria.

We're talking about a guy getting, likely, his last (and only) big contract. This is where the rest of his life's money is likely to come from. 1-2 million a year over 3 years is a huge deal. An extra 2.5 million guaranteed is a huge deal. I just don't know if this guys meets the "enough money is enough" criteria.
I get that he's not signing a top tier contract. But let's say the difference is between $12m and $15m. $12m is more than 99.9%+ of the people in the world will make in their lives. It's more than enough to be comfortable for the rest of your life, unless you're going to lose it all and be broke by forty. In which case there's no amount of money that will help you.So is the extra $3m really worth it to go to a place where you will experience neither personal or team success?

I get that he's not signing a top tier contract. But let's say the difference is between $12m and $15m. $12m is more than 99.9%+ of the people in the world will make in their lives. It's more than enough to be comfortable for the rest of your life, unless you're going to lose it all and be broke by forty. In which case there's no amount of money that will help you.So is the extra $3m really worth it to go to a place where you will experience neither personal or team success?
also take into consideration performance goals, let's say touchdowns or yardage bonuses. Where would you be more likely to earn those if all else is similar? If the contracts were similar and included performance bonuses you'd have to think your chances would be better on the team that actaully can move the ball like Denver.

I think it's the guaranteed money, personally; that's what matters for an NFL RB. Whoever he signs with isn't likely to pay him his 3rd-4th year salary, so the yearly money can't be counted on. Putting myself in his shoes, an extra 3-5 million (of which I'll see 50% of) is a big difference. He has already torn his ACL and it likely cost him millions. His earning potential isn't likely to survive another such occurrence. I don't think you're wrong - I just think it is a much harder decision when it's your life, pride, and family on the line. I wouldn't blame him one bit for following the money.

I hope he goes to DEN so the Steelers can sign McGahee :yes:
McGahee wil be 32 in October. He has had less than 170 carries four out the last five years. Rams have no RB's and I'd rather they take a guy in the 5th or 6th than pay a guy that old that anything.
Given how well he's played and how cheap he is I'd actually be psyched if my team signed McGahee on a cheap, incentive-filled contract to be part of a RBBC. Obviously can't count on him as a workhorse, but he was really strong the last couple years and worth a shot IMO.

Outlook in Arizona? Obviously not in the best situation, but not much competition right now either. Reunites with Arians.

Obviously not as good as Denver; but will still likely be the starting RB there, and hopefully they commit something to the O-line. He could still manage a top 20, mid-level RB2 finish there.

Outlook in Arizona? Obviously not in the best situation, but not much competition right now either. Reunites with Arians.
Let's see. A team that hasn't had an O-line able to run the ball since... ever? No QB. No hope of good decisions that might fix the first two items. And a coach who's said he doesn't think RBs are on the team to catch passes.Brutal landing spot. Only hope is that he stays healthy, has about 600 touches and convinces a good team that they should sign him next year.

Obviously not as good as Denver; but will still likely be the starting RB there, and hopefully they commit something to the O-line. He could still manage a top 20, mid-level RB2 finish there.
Mid-level is top 15-18 range. I don't see that coming at all. I expect a RBBC in a crumby situation.

Interesting piece of the commentary reported by RW:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians believes in true feature backs as opposed to committees, evidenced by his Mendenhall usage in Pittsburgh and Vick Ballard in Indy last year.

This certainly seems to be the case with his time in PIT, where he used Willie Parker full-time until they transitioned into Mendenhall. Same could be said for last year with Ballard, though the situation was a little more murky with D Brown being out a lot of the season.

Seems to be some truth about Arians not using RB as receivers, as evidenced by RM's career high of 35 receptions in 2011. He had 24 and 26 in his other two full seasons of work in Pit.

Certainly Denver's a better situation for RBs production, but I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that he wouldn't be giving carries away to the other two backs there anyway. Am I crazy to think I prefer him, as a 2x dynasty owner, in Arizona with less competition...rather than in Denver with young, highly drafted guys to compete with? I know Arizona's got some major issues with the line, but it seems like it would be more maddening to get caught up in a RBBC than to at least have the clear cut guy(assuming Mendy takes that from R Williams).

Rather interesting that Arians would go after Mendenhall as he never utilized him in the passing game which is one of Mendy's strengths...

Ryan Williams is there, no QB, and the offensive line is poor. I'd say he is worth less than he was 20 minutes ago.
I'd say a lot less. Worst situation I could imagine for him to land in. Only saving grace may be that its only a one year deal.
I'm trying to be "glass half full" on this. I don't think it's the worst spot. It would have been worse to have bee left out of the mix for weeks and then signed to a backup role.He has a HC that likes him and that likes having a bellcow back. The o-line and QB situation is obviously bad but there's time to rectify that and Mendenhall had poor o-lines in Pittsburgh as well.
Cardinals agreed to terms with RB Rashard Mendenhall, formerly of the Steelers, on a one-year contract.The addition throws a wrench into Ryan Williams' 2013 fantasy football outlook, though the two young backs will likely wage a camp battle. Cardinals coach Bruce Arians believes in true feature backs as opposed to committees, evidenced by his Mendenhall usage in Pittsburgh and Vick Ballard in Indy last year. Mendenhall is only 26 years old, and will be a full season removed from his ACL tear in 2013. Once compared to Edgerrin James by Arians, Mendenhall will probably shape up as a middle-round fantasy pick behind a weak Arizona offensive line.

I'm trying to be "glass half full" on this. I don't think it's the worst spot. It would have been worse to have bee left out of the mix for weeks and then signed to a backup role.

He has a HC that likes him and that likes having a bellcow back. The o-line and QB situation is obviously bad but there's time to rectify that and Mendenhall had poor o-lines in Pittsburgh as well.

I think this is where I stand. I already divulged that I am a 2X owner, so I definitely am biased in wanting this to be a good location. I just can't see Arians, as a coach that knows Mendenhall and what he brings, signing him to be a backup. Surely these two had some sort of conversation about his role and it ended well enough for RM to choose Arizona over other suitors.

Ryan Williams is there, no QB, and the offensive line is poor. I'd say he is worth less than he was 20 minutes ago.
I guess it depends on everyone's opinion of the talent of Williams and Mendenhall, I personally think that Mendenhall is a better runner and a more complete back plus the fact that the Arians knows him well and chose to bring him in tells me that he will be given a shot as the main back in Arizona. QB and O-Line situation is definitely a major problem though.

You glass full guys please keep talking. I'm standing on the bridge railing with a gun to my head in one hand, a bottle of cyanide pills in the other and all I can hear is 'Arizona Arizona Arizona Arizona'.

I don't see this as a barrier.
Mendenhall got a 1 year deal to the Cardinals - I don't know that he is much of a barrier either. We'll see, and I do think Mendy is the early favorite. But Williams is a talented player worth mentioning.
If Arians truly believed in Williams like he claimed, they could have just signed a cheaper back (assuming they are paying Mendy failry well) or drafted a back.This is likely Arians bringing in a back he knows and trusts to run his offense while also doing Mendenhall a favor by giving him a one year prove it deal. I don't think Williams will be cast aside entirely, but I don't see him having a major role.

You glass full guys please keep talking. I'm standing on the bridge railing with a gun to my head in one hand, a bottle of cyanide pills in the other and all I can hear is 'Arizona Arizona Arizona Arizona'.
Don't worry. If they sign Drew Stanton teams will have to respect the pass, leaving gaping holes for Mendy to spin through.

Lets hope they draft some nice o-linemen. Honestly Kevin Kolb played fairly well before he got injured and there are a few decent stop gap options out there now. I don't think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a very good QB at all, but at least he's semi-competant.

Lets hope they draft some nice o-linemen. Honestly Kevin Kolb played fairly well before he got injured and there are a few decent stop gap options out there now. I don't think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a very good QB at all, but at least he's semi-competant.
Does it matter? Look at the top fantasy backs over the past few years; there is little correlation between QB play and RB fantasy success (and if there is one, it's negative). The real concern for Mendenhall in Arizona is the offensive line.

If Arians truly believed in Williams like he claimed, they could have just signed a cheaper back (assuming they are paying Mendy failry well) or drafted a back.This is likely Arians bringing in a back he knows and trusts to run his offense while also doing Mendenhall a favor by giving him a one year prove it deal. I don't think Williams will be cast aside entirely, but I don't see him having a major role.
Williams has never been healthy - even IF they thought he was the guy, they'd need a solid backup. And Mendy is a one year deal; it's not much of a commitment, and certainly not a favor to Mendy. I'm not even sure Mendenhall beats Williams out; they're both talented guys who haven't been able to show much lately. Camp will decide this. On a side note, I'll be looking to acquire Williams where I can. Even before this he was never more than a lottery ticket, but I like the odds better with his newly deflated price-tag.

Does it matter? Look at the top fantasy backs over the past few years; there is little correlation between QB play and RB fantasy success (and if there is one, it's negative). The real concern for Mendenhall in Arizona is the offensive line.
Agree.

Cardinal fans, you'll have to let us Steeler fans know how much you like his little spin move he uses every play. You'll love it. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread