What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mentally Ill Problem - Andrew Yang Response (1 Viewer)

Yeah - money.  Other sectors of that market are so much more profitable.

BTW, my thoughts on home ownership that I posted the other day.  
I agree with the sentiment of all that.  I'll also say though that for a great many being able to rent something is an amazing step forward.  I know that's not the premise of that thread and it's more of a "hey, should we give up on owning all together" thing, but renting has it's place as an incredibly useful tool in terms of getting people out of homelessness AND out of poverty.  I've seen it with my own eyes hundreds of times over four different states.

And the left's record was consistently and constantly against institutionalization in the '70s. Then given the budget constraints and lack of funds earmarked for social programs, de-institutionalization began to appeal to the right in the '80s, a lethal combination which just left the mentally ill homeless and indigent rather than free and productive as originally envisioned by the pie-in-the-sky activists of yore. Plenty of blame to go around.

The naivete of the left in thinking one should de-institutionalize schizophrenia and other maladies mixed with a lack of desire on the right to spend the money necessary to keeping the indigent housed, clothed, and fed has led to the tent cities in LA, which sprawl everywhere and have just commandeered blocks upon blocks of otherwise valuable and decent property, forcing residents to step lightly in the very place they live and pay rent, lest they step in fecal matter or syringes.
Sad but accurate and excellent post.  I don't claim to have all the answers but I wish the mentally ill and under educated problems are 1 & 1a in this country. 

I think it has been touched on, but there is no profit in fixing mental illness or homelessness.  As mentioned, it needs to be at the muni level or socialized for the big cities.  Mental illness needs investment.

I think it has been touched on, but there is no profit in fixing mental illness or homelessness.  As mentioned, it needs to be at the muni level or socialized for the big cities.  Mental illness needs investment.
It isn't so much about profit as it is power.  Society would profit but politicians and police departments would lose power without "those people" to prop them up. 

It isn't so much about profit as it is power.  Society would profit but politicians and police departments would lose power without "those people" to prop them up. 
Completely disagree with this.  Politicians tailor their message and policies around those who vote for them.  

ekbeats said:
Liberals have done a horrible job with the homeless the last 20 years.  Allowing people to live in tent cities???  Insane.  They ruined San Francisco.
And Seatlle.

Portland.

San Diego.

Almost there with Austin.

Completely disagree with this.  Politicians tailor their message and policies around those who vote for them.  
Nope. It's always about "cleaning up the town".   When have you ever heard a politician say "Crime is almost non-existent.  Everyone has a warm bed and food to eat. Our economy is flourishing thanks to our highly educated populace and world class schools. If you elect me, heck, I don't know what I'll do! Everything is perfect!" 

Last edited by a moderator:
And the left's record was consistently and constantly against institutionalization in the '70s. Then given the budget constraints and lack of funds earmarked for social programs, de-institutionalization began to appeal to the right in the '80s, a lethal combination which just left the mentally ill homeless and indigent rather than free and productive as originally envisioned by the pie-in-the-sky activists of yore. Plenty of blame to go around.

The naivete of the left in thinking one should de-institutionalize schizophrenia and other maladies mixed with a lack of desire on the right to spend the money necessary to keeping the indigent housed, clothed, and fed has led to the tent cities in LA, which sprawl everywhere and have just commandeered blocks upon blocks of otherwise valuable and decent property, forcing residents to step lightly in the very place they live and pay rent, lest they step in fecal matter or syringes.
The Republicans need to consider that the cost to house and treat the mentally ill (even as inflated as the government would make it) is still likely less than the cost society bears by having these people walking around.  Though the random attacks that someone described are statistically small, if you are the one on the receiving end, there is little comfort in the statistics.  And the petty theft, car destruction, littering, fouling up all the best public chill spots, etc, all needs to be factored in to the true cost of not providing them public housing as well.

Liberals don’t run SD.  As I mentioned above it’s a pretty purple city.  Weather as a lot to do with it.  
It isnt San Francisco but still:

San Diego (San Diego)769,945

D 42%

R 21%

NPP 31%

:shrug:

Regardless of party.. whoever is enabling the takeover of downtowns and public parks by homeless and drug users - eff off.

D 42%

R 21%

NPP 31%

Regardless of party.. whoever is enabling the takeover of downtowns and public parks by homeless and drug users - eff off.
Agree with the last line. But as a mostly lifelong SD resident I can confidently say it’s not a liberal city.  It’s about as center as it gets so the 31 NPP makes sense.  

D 42%

R 21%

NPP 31%

What would you do to remedy the homeless problem? 

What would you do to remedy the homeless problem? 
No idea, why?

I know from these examples what NOT to do.  I would put allowing homeless tent cities taking over downtowns and public parks at the bottom of the list.  Enabling drug use at the bottom of the list. Enabling vandalism at the bottom of the list.

In short - ignoring it seems to be the worst option.

No idea, why?

I know from these examples what NOT to do.  I would put allowing homeless tent cities taking over downtowns and public parks at the bottom of the list.  Enabling drug use at the bottom of the list. Enabling vandalism at the bottom of the list.

In short - ignoring it seems to be the worst option.
It's obviously something you are passionate about.  I thought you might have a proposed solution. 

It's obviously something you are passionate about.  I thought you might have a proposed solution. 
I am hugely passionate about not being able to enjoy these formerly great downtowns with my kids.

My nephew can no longer go to the public park in his high end Seattle neighborhood because a half dozen kids have stepped on or picked up used needles (provided by the city of course).

I'll take the nuclear option over allowing this to continue.

It is a travesty, utterly embrassing.

I am hugely passionate about not being able to enjoy these formerly great downtowns with my kids.

My nephew can no longer go to the public park in his high end Seattle neighborhood because a half dozen kids have stepped on or picked up used needles (provided by the city of course).

I'll take the nuclear option over allowing this to continue.

It is a travesty, utterly embrassing.
You run out of clouds to yell at? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread