What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What should we do about homeless people? (1 Viewer)

There are tons of studies out there with varying results and that percentage is in constant flux.  Think of it as a high water mark I guess?  If I relied soley on my anecdotal experiences over the last 20+ years, I'd say the percentage is 80%+ but that's not a good way to have discussions because that doesn't play out nationally and doesn't help formulate a plan nationally.  
Unless you work for a program called "we help pretty much only employed homeless people" there is no way 80% are employed. You have to count panhandling to even sniff that amount. And some of the studies that you mention actually do count panhandling or selling "personal belongings" 

That is why reported income studies are the only metric to rely on here. Everything else is highly manipulated. 

The data I gave you was based on that number from the University of Chicago study. Move that number to minimum of 5000 reported income and you can see the number changes a great deal. 

The vast majority of homeless people are also jobless. 

Unless you work for a program called "we help pretty much only employed homeless people" there is no way 80% are employed. You have to count panhandling to even sniff that amount. And some of the studies that you mention actually do count panhandling or selling "personal belongings" 
Stuff like this is exactly why I don't bring up anecdotes as anything meaningful in these conversations.  When it doesn't fit what others have seen/read, it's dismissed.  I haven't mentioned a single study specifically, but to acknowledge the point, I do agree, there are some that count this way.  In my readings it has been a very limited number.  The ones I have actively participated in (primarily the Cincinnati, OH area) didn't do that.  And many of these studies include in the "jobless" category people hoping from place to place over a period of time.  This is why there is a large range in the percentages...not only are conditions changing frequently, but variables used are as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread