What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Brady Quinn Thread (1 Viewer)

jurb26 said:
Projected by who? People like us on message boards? I'd say an "elite" QB or prospect of any position does not need to wait until 1.22 to be taken no matter how you break down the needs. Especially considering that this draft was awful short on elite talent to begin with.
Dan Marino down?
There were 6 first round Qbs that year. I guess it must've been all those qbs taken in the run on qbs from 2-21 that caused the panic for this move.
:popcorn:

prefontaine said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :banned:
They were considering him at #3. To me it was a no brainer for them.
Agreed. This is where people need to put down the draft chart. He represents huge value there, particularly for a team that already nabbed an elite OL prospect in this draft. Nobody will care what was traded if he pans out.
Yeah. Look at it this way, if Cleveland had the #3 and the #4 picks who would have they taken? They probably got two of their top four players on their board. Dallas made out too but to me Cleveland made a great move getting exactly who they wanted. Think about what Atlanta gave up for Michael Vick. Or what the Giants gave up for Manning. Bold and smart move by the Browns.
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. Just because other people are stupid doesn't mean you have to be too. Quite obviously, in both cases, SD made out in those trades. Just like Dallas did here.
:popcorn: Didn't the Browns give up considerably less then the Giants and Falcons did?
Hmmm....maybeThe Falcons traded their first round pick, the fifth selection in the draft, along with their third round pick in 2001, a second round pick in 2002 and little used Wide Receiver Tim Dwight, who did have some significant impact returning kicks, to the Chargers for the number one pick.Manning to his chosen team, the Giants, in exchange for quarterback Philip Rivers (taken with the fourth pick by New York), a third-round pick in 2004 and the Giants' first and fifth choices in 2005.If Cleveland gave up a top 10 pick - which seems likely - it seems fairly compareable to the Falcons trade. The Giants got raped worse but the different to me is the 2005 first was a lot less likely to be a good pick. If you look at it just from the standpoint of a move up and then + Falcons move up and give a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year plus Tim DwightGiants move up and give a 3rd this year and a 1st and 5th next yearBrowns move up and give up a 1st next year

jurb26 said:
Projected by who? People like us on message boards? I'd say an "elite" QB or prospect of any position does not need to wait until 1.22 to be taken no matter how you break down the needs. Especially considering that this draft was awful short on elite talent to begin with.
Dan Marino down?
There were 6 first round Qbs that year. I guess it must've been all those qbs taken in the run on qbs from 2-21 that caused the panic for this move.
And how many GM's selecting 1-21 wish they would have taken Marino?Quinn will make a few GM's look bad when it's all said and done. Starting with Al Davis.

Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :popcorn:
Agreed. This is where people need to put down the draft chart. He represents huge value there, particularly for a team that already nabbed an elite OL prospect in this draft. Nobody will care what was traded if he pans out.
I disagree with the notion that Quinn is an elite QB prospect. You will likely see 3 such prospects in next years draft however. Bad deal IMO.
Define "elite." He was the 2nd QB off the board and was projected to be an easy top ten.
elite means a freak of nature athletically, a franchise type player. Manning and Vick were those kinds of players, Quinn is a media darling, but he is not such a player on the field. The browns will suck for a while (more) because of this move. Everyone compares Brady to Quinn because they are good looking all american midwest farmboy types. But what set Brady apart was his accuracy and leadership. Quinn does have the leadership, but not teh accuracy. And Brady was drafted in the sixth round...

According to Kiper's Big Board we got the 2nd and 3rd rated players. Add Steinbach and Lewis in FA and you guys better start thinking about the Browns if they are on your schedule.
:P as opposed to totally forgetting about them like the past?I love this draft for the Browns. Quinn, Lewis, Edwards, KW2* and a better Oline has the makings of a team that might actually score. ;)

The Gator said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :o
Yeah. Look at it this way, if Cleveland had the #3 and the #4 picks who would have they taken? They probably got two of their top four players on their board. Dallas made out too but to me Cleveland made a great move getting exactly who they wanted. Think about what Atlanta gave up for Michael Vick. Or what the Giants gave up for Manning. Bold and smart move by the Browns.
:P They filled a need spot and didn't ruin any draft with giving a ton of picks.
;)
Did they give 4-5 picks and make it hard to build depth? No.Trading a first and a third for a chance to net 2 top 5 prospects is very good, IMO.

Let me start my rant now.

Every expert in the country had Quinn mocked to us at #3. I wanted Thomas more and I'm glad we got him. What we essentially did is trade our #1 choice next year for another #3 overall choice this year. We got the best QB in the draft and a guy that wanted to play for Cleveland more than anywhere else and we got him for about 10 million less than we would have had to pay him at #3. I am more than happy! :P
If you drink any more of of that Kool-Aid you might turn your mouth red.Once again, b/c ESPN/Major Networks, love ND/Quinn does not make him a top 3 pick. In fact the market spoke as to his value. All the teams in the top 10 that doesn't start with A(leinert/vick) has qb issues. HOU dealth with their by trading the world for Schaub, so they obviously had no need. But every other team has a pretty dire need at qb, and no one even sniffed him. But you celebrate the 3rd best player quarterback in the draft.

Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. ;)
I disagree with the notion that Quinn is an elite QB prospect. You will likely see 3 such prospects in next years draft however. Bad deal IMO.
Define "elite." He was the 2nd QB off the board and was projected to be an easy top ten.
elite means a freak of nature athletically, a franchise type player. Manning and Vick were those kinds of players, Quinn is a media darling, but he is not such a player on the field. The browns will suck for a while (more) because of this move. Everyone compares Brady to Quinn because they are good looking all american midwest farmboy types. But what set Brady apart was his accuracy and leadership. Quinn does have the leadership, but not teh accuracy. And Brady was drafted in the sixth round...
Eli Manning is a freak of nature athletically? God I love the Shark Pool. :P Obviously you hate Quinn and that is fine. Quinn was supposed to go 9th to the Dolphins but they wanted Peter Warrick.

prefontaine said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. ;)
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. Just because other people are stupid doesn't mean you have to be too. Quite obviously, in both cases, SD made out in those trades. Just like Dallas did here.
:P Didn't the Browns give up considerably less then the Giants and Falcons did?
Hmmm....maybeThe Falcons traded their first round pick, the fifth selection in the draft, along with their third round pick in 2001, a second round pick in 2002 and little used Wide Receiver Tim Dwight, who did have some significant impact returning kicks, to the Chargers for the number one pick.Manning to his chosen team, the Giants, in exchange for quarterback Philip Rivers (taken with the fourth pick by New York), a third-round pick in 2004 and the Giants' first and fifth choices in 2005.If Cleveland gave up a top 10 pick - which seems likely - it seems fairly compareable to the Falcons trade. The Giants got raped worse but the different to me is the 2005 first was a lot less likely to be a good pick. If you look at it just from the standpoint of a move up and then + Falcons move up and give a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year plus Tim DwightGiants move up and give a 3rd this year and a 1st and 5th next yearBrowns move up and give up a 1st next year
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. Just because other people are stupid doesn't mean you have to be too.

prefontaine said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :towelwave:
:shock: Didn't the Browns give up considerably less then the Giants and Falcons did?
Hmmm....maybeThe Falcons traded their first round pick, the fifth selection in the draft, along with their third round pick in 2001, a second round pick in 2002 and little used Wide Receiver Tim Dwight, who did have some significant impact returning kicks, to the Chargers for the number one pick.

Manning to his chosen team, the Giants, in exchange for quarterback Philip Rivers (taken with the fourth pick by New York), a third-round pick in 2004 and the Giants' first and fifth choices in 2005.

If Cleveland gave up a top 10 pick - which seems likely - it seems fairly compareable to the Falcons trade. The Giants got raped worse but the different to me is the 2005 first was a lot less likely to be a good pick. If you look at it just from the standpoint of a move up and then +

Falcons move up and give a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year plus Tim Dwight

Giants move up and give a 3rd this year and a 1st and 5th next year

Browns move up and give up a 1st next year and a third this year
fixed

jurb26 said:
Dan Marino down?
And how many GM's selecting 1-21 wish they would have taken Marino?Quinn will make a few GM's look bad when it's all said and done. Starting with Al Davis.
Good idea. Because people have missed in the past, we shouldn't evaluate anyone...It looks like OAK fans will have sig material too. This is going to be fun. :popcorn:anyone wanna take bets on Quinns future? I'm in.

I think this was a great trade for both teams, and a great pick for the Browns. Our offense now has elite players at LT and QB and has an identity for the next several years. Dallas of course gets a 1st next year, which will certainly be high because the Browns won't win much this year. However, I think the Browns made a deal that worked out fine for them, regardless of the point values of the picks. We had a top 5 prospect that we absolutely had to have drop to 22, so a first rounder next year doesn't bother me too much.

And FYI, Cleveland has never had problems selling tickets (and probably never will). This was not a move to get fans in the seats- it was a bold move to finally define the direction in which this franchise is headed. And I believe it's a positive one.

Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :o
Eli Manning is a freak of nature athletically? God I love the Shark Pool. :lmao: Obviously you hate Quinn and that is fine. Quinn was supposed to go 9th to the Dolphins but they wanted Peter Warrick.
:doh: I blame the time. 4:20 + :popcorn: = Manning Confusion.I was talking about Peyton... :bag:

Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :bag:
Eli Manning is a freak of nature athletically? God I love the Shark Pool. :doh: Obviously you hate Quinn and that is fine. Quinn was supposed to go 9th to the Dolphins but they wanted Peter Warrick.
I actually don't hate Quinn as much as I hate ND. But the media infatuation with him was funny. I also think that he will likely be a decent NFL player, as he can manage a game, and has a good work ethic (unless Weiss was just snowing us) but that will be years down the road. I see him having a Dilfer-esque career.:lmao:But I will take almost any opportunity to mock a Golden Boy from the Golden Dome. :popcorn:

great trade when you consider:

just how bad they usually draft in the 1st round anyway. couch, brown, warren, green, and the jury is still out on the last 3.

and wasn't as bad as butch davis' bungling of the winslow draft.

great trade when you consider:just how bad they usually draft in the 1st round anyway. couch, brown, warren, green, and the jury is still out on the last 3.and wasn't as bad as butch davis' bungling of the winslow draft.
:banned: Hmm this is a perspective I hadn't considered. Trade your picks so you can't #### them up.

prefontaine said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :unsure:
:goodposting: Didn't the Browns give up considerably less then the Giants and Falcons did?
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. Just because other people are stupid doesn't mean you have to be too.
DD, just to be clear, that stupid comment was not directed at you but the Browns. Sorry if you took it personal.

prefontaine said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :X
:goodposting: Didn't the Browns give up considerably less then the Giants and Falcons did?
DD, just to be clear, that stupid comment was not directed at you but the Browns. Sorry if you took it personal.
Nah, I was just funnin you. I rarely get po'd in the Shark Pool unless someone bad mouths my Hawks. :unsure:

great trade when you consider:just how bad they usually draft in the 1st round anyway. couch, brown, warren, green, and the jury is still out on the last 3.and wasn't as bad as butch davis' bungling of the winslow draft.
:goodposting: Hmm this is a perspective I hadn't considered. Trade your picks so you can't #### them up.
Stupid is as stupid does, the 2 of you could share a brain cell and figure out that those guys were drafted by a different GM.

Doh. I just looked on nfl.com at the trades link

http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/trades

It was a 2008 1 and this years SECOND

Dallas :goodposting: CLE
God Hipple, move on to another thread.Your You're a bad combination.

Your You're dumb and you advertise.
:thumbup: Your welcome... :shrug:

Put your :$: where your mouth is.

and I advertise :bag: I don't work for the nfl network, but if they have a few tools that I think will help my FBG brethren then I'll pass em out...

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think it's a terrible trade when you think about it.

i like taking Thomas at 1.3 + the trade rather than taking Quinn at the 1.3

i also would have preferred they simply kept their picks, but obviously Savage had Quinn pretty high on his draft board. :bag:

although, trading up seems a bit desperate to me, almost like they know the hook is looming.

Dallas :own3d: CLE

:lmao: Your welcome... ;)

and I advertise :goodposting: I don't work for the nfl network, but if they have a few tools that I think will help my FBG brethren then I'll pass em out...
Shark Pool is the best football forum on the internet. Period. :shock:

Dallas :shock: CLE

:own3d: Your welcome... :lmao:

and I advertise :goodposting: I don't work for the nfl network, but if they have a few tools that I think will help my FBG brethren then I'll pass em out...
I pulled out my drunk to english dictionary, but I still can't figure out if you have anything resembling a valid point in that post.If your gonna try the typo thing to prove you're smart then I would suggest "the" over "teh."

If you think that the advertising thing applied to NFLN your just proving my point. (You should ask somebody.)

Doctor Detroit on the other hand, seems to have a good grasp on the trade though.

Dallas :shock: CLE

:own3d: Your welcome... ;)

I pulled out my drunk to english dictionary, but I still can't figure out if you have anything resembling a valid point in that post.If your gonna try the typo thing to prove you're smart then I would suggest "the" over "teh."

If you think that the advertising thing applied to NFLN your just proving my point. (You should ask somebody.)

Doctor Detroit om the other hand, seems to have a good grasp on the trade though.
And your proving mine...Well that's 50% on your first exam. ;) Your not a quick learner are you.

:lmao:

typos < 4th grade contractions

Vic Carucci's Analysis

The Browns have achieved the best of both worlds. They landed their franchise quarterback (despite his free fall from upper tier of the first round) and they have a blocker who can help protect him for many years to come. The Browns made an aggressive trade with the Cowboys to put themselves in this position. Was next year's first-round choice too high a price? Not for a franchise quarterback. There is still a long way to go, but for now, the Browns are the front-runners for the distinction of having the most impressive draft.

Gil Brandt: When you end up with a starting left tackle and a possibility of having a franchise quarterback in the first round, you might have had one of the great days of all time in draft history. Brady Quinn is probably the most prepared player to come in and play well. He's going to where he wants to be.

Pat Kirwan: What's to say about a guy with 95 touchdown passes and more than twice as many yards as JaMarcus Russell? A lot of people thought he was going to go to Cleveland, but at the other pick (No. 3). He'll be happy the first time he drops back and Joe Thomas is blocking for him. It won't surprise me if he's the starter on opening day. The Cleveland fans fought taking Brady Quinn with the third pick, but they embrace him at this position.

smile Hipple you're the loser on the "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" show :bag:

so does Quinn start week one for the Browns?

or do they let Frye take the beating the first few weeks while Thomas settles in?

In the best situation Quinn sits for the year and watches Frye. Then he takes over and lets Frye learn as a back-up.

Vic Carucci's AnalysisThe Browns have achieved the best of both worlds. They landed their franchise quarterback (despite his free fall from upper tier of the first round) and they have a blocker who can help protect him for many years to come. The Browns made an aggressive trade with the Cowboys to put themselves in this position. Was next year's first-round choice too high a price? Not for a franchise quarterback. There is still a long way to go, but for now, the Browns are the front-runners for the distinction of having the most impressive draft.Gil Brandt: When you end up with a starting left tackle and a possibility of having a franchise quarterback in the first round, you might have had one of the great days of all time in draft history. Brady Quinn is probably the most prepared player to come in and play well. He's going to where he wants to be.Pat Kirwan: What's to say about a guy with 95 touchdown passes and more than twice as many yards as JaMarcus Russell? A lot of people thought he was going to go to Cleveland, but at the other pick (No. 3). He'll be happy the first time he drops back and Joe Thomas is blocking for him. It won't surprise me if he's the starter on opening day. The Cleveland fans fought taking Brady Quinn with the third pick, but they embrace him at this position.smile Hipple you're the loser on the "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" show :shock:
How ironic with my last post.Only time will tell. But I'm willing to put 20 bucks I am right. Are you? You can create the terms if you want (for me to approve obviously) but I think history will look on this as a horrible trade that keeps the Browns down. I do like the Thomas pick. :wall:

Vic Carucci's AnalysisThe Browns have achieved the best of both worlds. They landed their franchise quarterback (despite his free fall from upper tier of the first round) and they have a blocker who can help protect him for many years to come. The Browns made an aggressive trade with the Cowboys to put themselves in this position. Was next year's first-round choice too high a price? Not for a franchise quarterback. There is still a long way to go, but for now, the Browns are the front-runners for the distinction of having the most impressive draft.Gil Brandt: When you end up with a starting left tackle and a possibility of having a franchise quarterback in the first round, you might have had one of the great days of all time in draft history. Brady Quinn is probably the most prepared player to come in and play well. He's going to where he wants to be.Pat Kirwan: What's to say about a guy with 95 touchdown passes and more than twice as many yards as JaMarcus Russell? A lot of people thought he was going to go to Cleveland, but at the other pick (No. 3). He'll be happy the first time he drops back and Joe Thomas is blocking for him. It won't surprise me if he's the starter on opening day. The Cleveland fans fought taking Brady Quinn with the third pick, but they embrace him at this position.smile Hipple you're the loser on the "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" show :shock:
How ironic with my last post.Only time will tell. But I'm willing to put 20 bucks I am right. Are you? You can create the terms if you want (for me to approve obviously) but I think history will look on this as a horrible trade that keeps the Browns down. I do like the Thomas pick. :wall:
Sure I'll bet $20 but I think a third party should come up with the criteria and then we both approve. I'm sure some bright young mind reading this post will be able to come up with something. The only thing is that we may have to wait until next season until Quinn is starting. Are you up for it?

and I advertise :rolleyes: I don't work for the nfl network, but if they have a few tools that I think will help my FBG brethren then I'll pass em out...

Doctor Detroit om the other hand, seems to have a good grasp on the trade though.
And your proving mine...Well that's 50% on your first exam. :no: Your not a quick learner are you.

Come on dude, it's the Shark Pool. Grammar and spelling aren't really required here so you shouldn't really demand it. You guys need to keep this on topic because it is entertaining. Call each other stupid based on Quinn's numbers or his ability to adjust to the NFL. Not on grammar.

and I advertise :rolleyes: I don't work for the nfl network, but if they have a few tools that I think will help my FBG brethren then I'll pass em out...

And your proving mine...Well that's 50% on your first exam. :no: Your not a quick learner are you.

Come on dude, it's the Shark Pool. Grammar and spelling aren't really required here so you shouldn't really demand it. You guys need to keep this on topic because it is entertaining. Call each other stupid based on Quinn's numbers or his ability to adjust to the NFL. Not on grammar.
aparently Hipple doesn't have 6 different boards and chat windows that he's talking on at the same time.

aparently Hipple doesn't have 6 different boards and chat windows that he's talking on at the same time.
and before he posts, I'll admit there are 2 p's in apparently.

I'll bet DD could come up with a good evaluation of Quinn for that bet.
I'm a realible middle man but you guys should establish the criteria. I'd probably look back through past drafts and find QBs taken in the first round and each of you pick one to be the baseline. Maybe Hippie takes Ware for example, and Chris takes Jim Harbaugh. Something like that.

I'll bet DD could come up with a good evaluation of Quinn for that bet.
I'm a realible middle man but you guys should establish the criteria. I'd probably look back through past drafts and find QBs taken in the first round and each of you pick one to be the baseline. Maybe Hippie takes Ware for example, and Chris takes Jim Harbaugh. Something like that.
Thanks DD, I'm pretty open Hipple. So maybe a few other guys could post and we can use that to come up with something.By the way DD the dictionary police are out! It's reliable.

End of season rankings....

Ga. Tech - not ranked in BCS

Penn St. - not ranked in BCS

UCLA - #25 in the BCS

Michigan - finished #20 in BCS

Go Cleveland :rant:

He is going to the NFL now, to a team that will attempt to play defense, so things might be different.

Brilliant concept thread.

Terry Bradshaw beat a lot of ranked teams at Louisiana Tech. As did Kurt Warner at N. Iowa. I think Donovan McNabb had some good games vs highly ranked opponents at the Cuse. Ben Rothlisberger was eating up the BCS. Dante Culpepper had a ton of wins vs the big teams at Central Florida. Oh and Steve McNair. McNair led the Braves to a Division one playoff appearance! I could go on forever.

ETA: This was from the "Who has Brady Quinn beaten" thread.

Brilliant concept thread. Terry Bradshaw beat a lot of ranked teams at Louisiana Tech. As did Kurt Warner at N. Iowa. I think Donovan McNabb had some good games vs highly ranked opponents at the Cuse. Ben Rothlisberger was eating up the BCS. Dante Culpepper had a ton of wins vs the big teams at Central Florida. Oh and Steve McNair. McNair led the Braves to a Division one playoff appearance! I could go on forever. :lmao:ETA: This was from the "Who has Brady Quinn beaten" thread.
All those schools are very comparable to ND

Brilliant concept thread. Terry Bradshaw beat a lot of ranked teams at Louisiana Tech. As did Kurt Warner at N. Iowa. I think Donovan McNabb had some good games vs highly ranked opponents at the Cuse. Ben Rothlisberger was eating up the BCS. Dante Culpepper had a ton of wins vs the big teams at Central Florida. Oh and Steve McNair. McNair led the Braves to a Division one playoff appearance! I could go on forever. :shrug:ETA: This was from the "Who has Brady Quinn beaten" thread.
I guess Peyton Manning won't be a very good NFL QB then based on that theory. Nicely done. :lmao:

Brilliant concept thread. Terry Bradshaw beat a lot of ranked teams at Louisiana Tech. As did Kurt Warner at N. Iowa. I think Donovan McNabb had some good games vs highly ranked opponents at the Cuse. Ben Rothlisberger was eating up the BCS. Dante Culpepper had a ton of wins vs the big teams at Central Florida. Oh and Steve McNair. McNair led the Braves to a Division one playoff appearance! I could go on forever. :goodposting:ETA: This was from the "Who has Brady Quinn beaten" thread.
I guess Peyton Manning won't be a very good NFL QB then based on that theory. Nicely done. :thumbup:
Can't find Peyton's game by game stats, but I think the following is more than Quinn ever did:40-9 as a 4 year starter in what was by far the best conference b/w 94-97beat Va Tech in 94 gator bowlSEC champ in 97Orange bowl champ in 97

Users who are viewing this thread