What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mets fans... (1 Viewer)

Omar:

- Sees Church as the everday RF, expects his #s to improve playing at Shea.

- Schneider upgrades the defense tremendously.

- Said that basically the other GMs hes been talking to (about pitchers), told him that dealing Milledge wouldnt kill a potential deal down the road. Said he still has enough young chips to work on things.

- He likes the team as it is right now, but says dont be surprised to see some more new faces when they get to spring training.

- Wont trade Reyes.

Thanks RBM, caught the last 5 min or so.

:sigh:

Everyday OF in Church? Not exactly setting our expectations very high for the season unless we have a trick up the sleeve.

Omar:- Sees Church as the everday RF, expects his #s to improve playing at Shea.
If this was a precursor deal as many (if not all) are hoping it to be, would Omar openly say it? I was checking out MetsBlog.com and someone mentioned that Church looks like a "Billy Bean player". He was in the top 50 in OBP, OPS, and pitches per plate appearance. He was also tied for 8th in doubles while only having <500 ABs.Milledge doesn't look like a "major league ready player" yet, and he's also not one of the "top" prospects that a team would want. That probably played into why teams didn't want him - they'd prefer Gomez or Martinez in addition to major league ready players, which Milledge doesn't provide.

Church's 2005-7 splits vs. LHP

.259/.336/.406 with 56 SOs in 197 ABs

Granted that's a pretty small sample size but it's not the line of any everyday corner OF. Getting out of RFK helps any hitter. At age 29, his chances of regressing are greater than a breakout season.

stupid ####in trade. If they wanted to get rid of him so bad, package him for a pitcher.

Was there that much of a bidding war to get Church and Schneider that this needed to be done before the winter meetings?

:pics: :thumbup:

Schneider sucks. I don't care what bull#### spin they try to put on that guy. Church isn't terrible but he isn't worth Milledge.

Completely unnecessary trade.

2008 NL East Standings:

1) Phillies

2) Braves

3) Mets

4) Nationals

5) Marlins

Ok, had a weekend to think about it. And........................................................

trade still sucks

All these big name pitchers are out there on the trade block and where are the Mets?!?!?!

D-Train just went to Detroit with Cabrera...

We don't have enough for Santana... and I have an ill feeling about us being able to get Haren or Bedard. I would be thrilled with any of them, but it's not looking promising! Sad

All these big name pitchers are out there on the trade block and where are the Mets?!?!?!D-Train just went to Detroit with Cabrera...We don't have enough for Santana... and I have an ill feeling about us being able to get Haren or Bedard. I would be thrilled with any of them, but it's not looking promising! Sad
They don't have the prospects, no matter how much they are hyped. Dodgers, Angels, Sox, and Yankees all have better prospects to offer.

All these big name pitchers are out there on the trade block and where are the Mets?!?!?!D-Train just went to Detroit with Cabrera...We don't have enough for Santana... and I have an ill feeling about us being able to get Haren or Bedard. I would be thrilled with any of them, but it's not looking promising! Sad
They don't have the prospects, no matter how much they are hyped. Dodgers, Angels, Sox, and Yankees all have better prospects to offer.
They might have the prospects for Blandon, but that is about it.

Except that Blanton sucks.

No he doesn't. And I don't think the Mets have the prospects to get him.

No he doesn't. And I don't think the Mets have the prospects to get him.
Disagree on point one. Agree on point two.

Steve Phillips is says they offered Heilman, Gomez, and Humbr for Bedard
That's a joke of an offer for Bedard. As a Mets fan I've hit a low :thumbup:
There is not much better we could offer without the inclusion of Reyes.
Agreed... and that's why I've hit a new low. Pathetic how lowly valued our "chips" are
I'm sick of hearing how we don't have the chips to get anything done via trade.At this point in time I hope they just sign an innings eater (Livan?) as insurance and let Pelfrey and Humber pitch. Give the kids the ball Omar.It seems like we have 4-5 decent prospects - I hope Omar doesn't trade all of them away for a #2 or #3 SP.

Plan Z . . .

Sign Vizcaino & Dotel to solidify the bullpen. Hope Duaner Sanchez comes back to form.

Let Heilman, El Duque, Pelfrey and Humber battle it out for the 4th & 5th spot.

The price for SP's is astronimcal and will cost us our entire farm system - the little we have there.

FREE AARON HEILMAN !

What say ye Mets fans? Heilman can't be any worse than Silva or Livan @ 3 years 30 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
god the mets are a trainwreck right now. They have exactly 3 players i would want on a team. The rest are awful.

TLEF316 said:
god the mets are a trainwreck right now. They have exactly 3 players i would want on a team. The rest are awful.
Let me guess - Phillies fan right?Trainwreck?How does losing Glavine, Mota & LoDuca constitute a trainwreck? Most Mets fans see that as addition by subtraction.

TLEF316 said:
Let me guess - Phillies fan right?Trainwreck?How does losing Glavine, Mota & LoDuca constitute a trainwreck? Most Mets fans see that as addition by subtraction.
That's cause Mets fans are delusional.I understand Mota, but how is losing Glavine and Lo Duca addition by subtraction?

TLEF316 said:
That's cause Mets fans are delusional.I understand Mota, but how is losing Glavine and Lo Duca addition by subtraction?
delusional?Glavine sucked last year - gave his all for win #300 but after that he was bad.LoDuca couldn't throw out a baserunner to save his life.Philly fans are a rowdy bunch these days.

TLEF316 said:
:pickle: THey have the best offense in the NL still. Their rotation isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be (Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez, and one of the youngters isnt horrible). Their bullpen is atrocious.

TLEF316 said:
:thumbup: THey have the best offense in the NL still. Their rotation isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be (Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez, and one of the youngters isnt horrible). Their bullpen is atrocious.
:unsure: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804

TLEF316 said:
:thumbup: THey have the best offense in the NL still. Their rotation isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be (Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez, and one of the youngters isnt horrible). Their bullpen is atrocious.
:unsure: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804
Best may have been the wrong word. I really meant one of the best

TLEF316 said:
delusional?Glavine sucked last year - gave his all for win #300 but after that he was bad.LoDuca couldn't throw out a baserunner to save his life.Philly fans are a rowdy bunch these days.
Mets were 18-16 in Glavine starts (compare that to Pedro where the Mets have gone 17-14, 11-12 and 3-2 in his starts the last three years). In his 10 starts after he won his 300th he gave up 0 ERs once, 1 ER 3 times, 2 ERs 2 times. He actually lowered his ERA from 4.36 when he won his 300th to 3.97 right before he stunk up the joint in his last two starts of the season.And LoDuca can't throw out a runner to save his life, but Schneider couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

TLEF316 said:
:mellow: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804
IMO, they have the 3rd best offense in the division, behind Philly and Atlanta. Combine that with an average rotation and crappy pen, and I dont see them being very good without a few moves. If anything, their offense will get worse, as Delgado, Alou, Castillo are all on the decline. Schneider cant hit and whoever they put in RF wont be very productive. So they are left with their big 3 (beltran, Reyes, wright) Id much rather have Philly's big 3.

TLEF316 said:
:shrug: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804
IMO, they have the 3rd best offense in the division, behind Philly and Atlanta. Combine that with an average rotation and crappy pen, and I dont see them being very good without a few moves. If anything, their offense will get worse, as Delgado, Alou, Castillo are all on the decline. Schneider cant hit and whoever they put in RF wont be very productive. So they are left with their big 3 (beltran, Reyes, wright) Id much rather have Philly's big 3.
Why so high on Atlanta's offense? THey lost Jones & Renteria, Chipper cant stay healthy. So that leaves them with Chipper, Francouer, and Tex and not much else IMO

TLEF316 said:
:goodposting: THey have the best offense in the NL still. Their rotation isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be (Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez, and one of the youngters isnt horrible). Their bullpen is atrocious.
:shrug: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804
Why so high on Atlanta's offense? THey lost Jones & Renteria, Chipper cant stay healthy. So that leaves them with Chipper, Francouer, and Tex and not much else IMO
McCann and Kelly Johnson can stroke.

TLEF316 said:
:goodposting: THey have the best offense in the NL still. Their rotation isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be (Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez, and one of the youngters isnt horrible). Their bullpen is atrocious.
McCann and Kelly Johnson can stroke.
That offense with a full year of Teixiera is going to be awesome. Losing Andruw Jones' O is actually a help.

TLEF316 said:
:blackdot: THey have the best offense in the NL still. Their rotation isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be (Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez, and one of the youngters isnt horrible). Their bullpen is atrocious.
:penalty: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804
No doubt 82 games played at Citizens Bank Park helped those numbers.Losing Rowand will not help either.

TLEF316 said:
:unsure: THey have the best offense in the NL still. Their rotation isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be (Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez, and one of the youngters isnt horrible). Their bullpen is atrocious.
:lmao: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804
No doubt 82 games played at Citizens Bank Park helped those numbers.Losing Rowand will not help either.
Well, seeing as how they'll be playing at CBP for at least a few more years, that's irrelevant.

Snotbubbles said:
TLEF316 said:
LoDuca was optplayed by his backup. Glavine is hardly irreplaceable at this stage, though the FA options are dreary. The player Im worried about is Green. Yes, he's old and fragile, but he put up pretty decent numbers last year and with Alou also being old and fragile, the Mets could use some insurance. He's to hoping one of their young outfielders and pitchers steps up.

I love the objective Philly fans calling Mets fan delusional.

LoDuca - more trouble than he is worth. He lost his cool at some very bad moments - the exact time when a LEADER shows the younger guys HOW to deal with adversity. And blowing your top is not always (or usually) the answer.

Glavine - :crazy: Seriously - DID YOU SEE HIS LAST START? Or his last few starts. In his BEST moments last year, he was mediocre and in the important spots he was absolutely awful. The guy didn't want to be here in the first place and had no heart when it was most needed.

Glavine had 3 solid years in a row prior to 2007, but he was below league average last year and is going to be 42 years old...No real loss there...Hell, a Jorge Sosa could essentially reproduce Glavine's suckiness at a fraction of the cost (never mind actually finding someone better for the rotation spot)...

LoDuca is still essentially living off of his one good year in 2001 and his supposed reputation as a glue guy...Truth is he's a below average defensive catcher who posted the lowest OPS of his career as a starter last season and will be 36...

The Mets won't miss either of these guys, especially when you consider they made about $14 million between the two of them...

Glavine had 3 solid years in a row prior to 2007, but he was below league average last year and is going to be 42 years old...No real loss there...Hell, a Jorge Sosa could essentially reproduce Glavine's suckiness at a fraction of the cost (never mind actually finding someone better for the rotation spot)...LoDuca is still essentially living off of his one good year in 2001 and his supposed reputation as a glue guy...Truth is he's a below average defensive catcher who posted the lowest OPS of his career as a starter last season and will be 36...The Mets won't miss either of these guys, especially when you consider they made about $14 million between the two of them...
LoDuca signed somewhere today for like 2.5 Mil right? That gives you an idea of how "great" he is. That ain't even Torriableaeaytwah money (cant spell that guys name. Thank god he is not a Met. Oh, that and the fact that he is about as meh as it gets)

Glavine had 3 solid years in a row prior to 2007, but he was below league average last year and is going to be 42 years old...No real loss there...Hell, a Jorge Sosa could essentially reproduce Glavine's suckiness at a fraction of the cost (never mind actually finding someone better for the rotation spot)...LoDuca is still essentially living off of his one good year in 2001 and his supposed reputation as a glue guy...Truth is he's a below average defensive catcher who posted the lowest OPS of his career as a starter last season and will be 36...The Mets won't miss either of these guys, especially when you consider they made about $14 million between the two of them...
LoDuca signed somewhere today for like 2.5 Mil right? That gives you an idea of how "great" he is. That ain't even Torriableaeaytwah money (cant spell that guys name. Thank god he is not a Met. Oh, that and the fact that he is about as meh as it gets)
I don't think he has signed....last I heard, the Jays were interested at like $4 mil per year...

i agree that the mets didn't lose much at all, but what have they gained? What is out there for them to gain? Sure, they seem to be making a run at the pitchers, but what if they cant swing a deal (very possible considering how poorly valued their "top" prospects are at the moment.)

With the way that last season ended, the mets needed to make a splash this year. They haven't. They've got old men at 3 of the 4 corner spots, a shaky rotation and a bad bullpen. I also don't have too much faith in Randolph after the collapse. I'll be very interested to see the mets Over/under this year. With the way they are constituted now, i cant see them winning 90 games.

i agree that the mets didn't lose much at all, but what have they gained? What is out there for them to gain? Sure, they seem to be making a run at the pitchers, but what if they cant swing a deal (very possible considering how poorly valued their "top" prospects are at the moment.)With the way that last season ended, the mets needed to make a splash this year. They haven't. They've got old men at 3 of the 4 corner spots, a shaky rotation and a bad bullpen. I also don't have too much faith in Randolph after the collapse. I'll be very interested to see the mets Over/under this year. With the way they are constituted now, i cant see them winning 90 games.
I think you're looking at it the wrong way...last year was historic...Worst collapse in baseball history...just epic... Worst case scenario they have a similar team to last year, which should be good enough for the wild card at worst...Def could use a starter, but their offense and OK pitching will keep them in many games in the NL...If they were in the AL, my analysis would be very different

i agree that the mets didn't lose much at all, but what have they gained? What is out there for them to gain? Sure, they seem to be making a run at the pitchers, but what if they cant swing a deal (very possible considering how poorly valued their "top" prospects are at the moment.)With the way that last season ended, the mets needed to make a splash this year. They haven't. They've got old men at 3 of the 4 corner spots, a shaky rotation and a bad bullpen. I also don't have too much faith in Randolph after the collapse. I'll be very interested to see the mets Over/under this year. With the way they are constituted now, i cant see them winning 90 games.
Oh they havent gotten better, they just havent gotten any worse. Also, They've got Alou and Delgado under contract, but I think Green is still an FA.

Oh they havent gotten better, they just havent gotten any worse. Also, They've got Alou and Delgado under contract, but I think Green is still an FA.
As much as everything clicked the year before last (until the Mets offense choked against SL) you had a lot of underpeforming players last year. Alou had an amazing year, but Beltran was terribly subpar for long stretches of the season, Delgado was a disaster, Reyes fell off a cliff...If you presume that for the most part, there will be regression (progression?) to the mean, and most importantly if Delgado's year was more abberation and less Mo Vaughn then what is basically the same lineup should perform better right there.More importantly, if Pedro can make it for even 70% of his scheduled starts, that is a HUGE improvement. Livan Hernandez - who SUCKS btw, imo - wont be WORSE than Glavine (god, Id hope not). So, while the Mets really do need some help (a reliever would be very, very key and obviously they need a front line pitcher) there is more pessimism than is really warranted. Standing pat they should do a little better. None of their division rivals are going to be that much better this year than last (at this point at least). If they can pull something off (and they don't quite have the uber prime young guys. Those guys are now named Wright and Reyes for which we should be grateful) then the Mets really could do something.The AL is going NUTS. The Tigers SO much better now. The Indians good. The Angels. Sox. Yanks. All pretty much willing to spend. The NL is like a different world right now, and I for one don't mind that as a Mets fans. Here in NY we get wrapped up in "competing" with the Yanks and Sox. If I have to beat Beckett AND Santana I say GREAT!I am in the World freaking Series. Get a little luck, solid pitching of your own and timely hitting and who knows what happens.

ooofffaaa said:
TLEF316 said:
:lmao: 2007Phillies runs scored 892Colorado runs scored 860Atlanta runs scored 810Mets runs scored 804
PhilliesAt Home: 450 runs scoredOn Road: 442 runs scoredNot much of a difference from home/road scoring.Losing Rowand won't be much of a loss:Rowand: 612 AB, 105 runs, 27 HR, 89 RBIDobbs/Werth platoon: 579 AB, 88 runs, 18 HRs, 104 RBIs

Users who are viewing this thread