What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mets fans... (1 Viewer)

Lotta Philly fans seem to be in this thread. I mean, I know it must be tough to live in a City of ubermeh (outside of the cheesesteaks of course) but shouldnt yall get a thread of your own?

:coffee:

From Metsblog.com

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...…having talked with a variety of people over the last few days, ranging from those who are connected to the team to people connected to player reps to those who work in media and for teams who are following the negotiations, from what i can gather, Johan Santana prefers to be on the Mets, where he can a) be in New York City, and b) get out of the hitter-dominant American League……the Twins are well aware of this, and are willing to accommodate his request, while also trying to maximize the level of talent they get in return……so, over the last few days, if not longer, the Twins have been speaking on and off with the Mets, who are willing to flood them with young talent, but who refuse to provide a major-league ready, immediate-impact player, like Jose Reyes……since the Yankees and Red Sox will not part with more than one or two of their best prospects, acquiring up to five or six semi-developed, high-ceiling players from the Mets is starting to be Minnesota’s most attractive option, and they’re comfortable with that - especially considering that santana can ‘strongly suggest’ he end up in Queens, seeing as he has a full no-trade clause…as such, the Mets and Twins have essentially agreed upon what players can and cannot be involved in the trade, and so it’s now up to santana and his agents to frame out a contract extension……however, while santana wants a seven-year contract, the Mets - like most teams - will not offer more than five…and understandably so, since a) it is nearly impossible to get such a contract insured, especially for a pitcher, and b) it is widely believed that the Yankees and Red Sox will not have offered him such a long-term deal either…at the same time, he is the best pitcher in baseball, and believes he should be compensated at or above the same level as Barry Zito, which is understandable, as well…the thing is, i do sense that he and his agents are willing to work out a solution to get him to Queens, and so they will not take a hard-line position like zito and Scott Boras did……in other words, from what i can tell, if santana doesn’t end up on the Mets, it most likely means that either a) he and the Mets could not agree to the terms of a contract extension, b) the Twins simply chose to keep him for one more opening day, or c) the Twins had no choice but to skip over the Mets to accept a much-better offer that they couldn’t refuse, and santana did not stand in their way, which is still very possible……i still do not have my hopes up, but i do have hope…

Wow

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...In a recent report for SI.com, citing ‘people familiar with those talks,’ Jon Heyman writes…‘The Mets offered different packages of prospects that included either outfielder Carlos Gomez or outfield prospect Fernando Martinez but not both, declining to include the one extra prospect the Twins requested to clinch the deal according to people familiar with those talks.’…the way i have heard it, also from people connected to these talks, the Twins want gomez plus four pitching prospects…yes, four…so, based on my understanding, coupled with heyman’s, i think it’s safe to assume that the Mets offered gomez and three pitching prospects, the Twins countered by asking for a fourth pitcher or martinez, and the Mets declined……for what it’s worth, over the weekend, i did suggest the two sides were fairly close to agreeing on players for a trade, if they hadn’t already…frankly, i didn’t think it was that close, though…but, wow, i guess it was……if this deal could be so close, i am back to having hope again…man, i’m getting dizzy…are you……it’s a tough one…i have to assume that at least three of the pitchers are Mike Pelfrey, Phil Humber and Kevin Mulvey, while the fourth could be Joe Smith or Deolis Guerra, though i suppose it could be Aaron Heilman, as well - though he’s far from a pitching prospect at this point……it is a lot to give up…it really is, and i can understand the trepidation…but, man, to be that close and pass…jeez…Earlier today, MetsBlog asked if the Mets should trade Pelfrey, Humber, Mulvey, Guerra and Gomez to the Twins for Santana, who will also require a seven-year contract, and only 56 percent of the 2,400 respondents essentially said, ‘Yes, the Mets should make the trade.’According to Heyman, while talking to WFAN this afternoon, Boston’s interest is quite ‘cool,’ and - if he had to guess - he still believes that the Yankees will end up acquiring Santana.…from what i can gather out of people connected to santana, though, is the Yankees have been very, very quiet of late…and, additionally, santana is not too excited about playing in the Bronx, while preferring the Mets then the Red Sox……frankly, i think it’d pull the trigger on the pitcher-heavy package, while keeping martinez, and adding Johan Santana to John Maine and Oliver Perez for the next few seasons…my hand will be shaking while doing so, but i think i’d have to do it…

Wow

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

In a recent report for SI.com, citing ‘people familiar with those talks,’ Jon Heyman writes…

‘The Mets offered different packages of prospects that included either outfielder Carlos Gomez or outfield prospect Fernando Martinez but not both, declining to include the one extra prospect the Twins requested to clinch the deal according to people familiar with those talks.’

…the way i have heard it, also from people connected to these talks, the Twins want gomez plus four pitching prospects…yes, four…so, based on my understanding, coupled with heyman’s, i think it’s safe to assume that the Mets offered gomez and three pitching prospects, the Twins countered by asking for a fourth pitcher or martinez, and the Mets declined…

…for what it’s worth, over the weekend, i did suggest the two sides were fairly close to agreeing on players for a trade, if they hadn’t already…frankly, i didn’t think it was that close, though…but, wow, i guess it was…

…if this deal could be so close, i am back to having hope again…man, i’m getting dizzy…are you…

…it’s a tough one…i have to assume that at least three of the pitchers are Mike Pelfrey, Phil Humber and Kevin Mulvey, while the fourth could be Joe Smith or Deolis Guerra, though i suppose it could be Aaron Heilman, as well - though he’s far from a pitching prospect at this point…

…it is a lot to give up…it really is, and i can understand the trepidation…but, man, to be that close and pass…jeez…

Earlier today, MetsBlog asked if the Mets should trade Pelfrey, Humber, Mulvey, Guerra and Gomez to the Twins for Santana, who will also require a seven-year contract, and only 56 percent of the 2,400 respondents essentially said, ‘Yes, the Mets should make the trade.’

According to Heyman, while talking to WFAN this afternoon, Boston’s interest is quite ‘cool,’ and - if he had to guess - he still believes that the Yankees will end up acquiring Santana.

…from what i can gather out of people connected to santana, though, is the Yankees have been very, very quiet of late…and, additionally, santana is not too excited about playing in the Bronx, while preferring the Mets then the Red Sox…

…frankly, i think it’d pull the trigger on the pitcher-heavy package, while keeping martinez, and adding Johan Santana to John Maine and Oliver Perez for the next few seasons…my hand will be shaking while doing so, but i think i’d have to do it…
I'd do that deal. As Greg Jefferies, Alex Ochoa, Milledge, and just about every other 'can't miss' pitching prospect save Kazmir has shown, there's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to prospects.

If they think that Alou and Delgado can hold up over the course of this upcoming season, they need to make that deal. It immediately provides the Mets with a huge upgrade in the rotation, and would finally allow people to move on from last seasons collapse. A starting rotation with Santana, Perez, Maine and maybe even Pedro would probably push them past the Phillies to be the consensus to win the NL east.

If they think that Alou and Delgado can hold up over the course of this upcoming season, they need to make that deal. It immediately provides the Mets with a huge upgrade in the rotation, and would finally allow people to move on from last seasons collapse. A starting rotation with Santana, Perez, Maine and maybe even Pedro would probably push them past the Phillies to be the consensus to win the NL east.
They need to add another OF or two anyway with Green likely gone and they would need another arm if Pelfrey and Humber are traded. They also need bullpen help. This team is still far and away from being done even if they get Santana.

Mets sign Matt Wise to a one-year deal @ $1.2M. He was downright terrible after hitting Pedro Lopez in the face last year but that should be easier to overcome than physical issues.

Mets sign Matt Wise to a one-year deal @ $1.2M. He was downright terrible after hitting Pedro Lopez in the face last year but that should be easier to overcome than physical issues.
Middle relievers are a crapshoot. I like this signing because it's only for one year.The Mets really need Dirty Sanchez back in a big way.

Wise was atrocious at the end of last year. And he throws like a girl. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the team out of ST.
Wise gets $750K if he's a spring training washout
Yes, I know.
didn't say you didn't so the Brewers and Mets have effectively swapped Guillermo Mota and Matt Wise, with the best three weeks of Johnny Estrada's post-2004 career thrown in for good measure.

Something is going on . . .

According to the New York Post, a Mets official said Monday that Carlos Gomez being pulled from his Dominican Winter League team has nothing to do with Gomez's possible inclusion in a trade for Johan Santana.

Instead, the official told the newspaper that Gomez was pulled to limit his games, but that seems odd given that it was the Caribbean World Series. The newspaper speculates that the Mets and Red Sox have moved ahead of the Yankees in the race for Santana, noting that the Twins "have intensified their efforts in the past 48 hours to generate the best offers from the main suitors."

Source: New York Post

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=4403

According to the New York Post, a Mets official said Monday that Carlos Gomez being pulled from his Dominican Winter League team has nothing to do with Gomez's possible inclusion in a trade for Johan Santana.

Instead, the official told the newspaper that Gomez was pulled to limit his games, but that seems odd given that it was the Caribbean World Series. The newspaper speculates that the Mets and Red Sox have moved ahead of the Yankees in the race for Santana, noting that the Twins "have intensified their efforts in the past 48 hours to generate the best offers from the main suitors."

Stop ####### around and get the deal done already. Yeesh.

Stop ####### around and get the deal done already. Yeesh.
I wish this would just go away now.....either accept the Mets deal or enough. Everyday there are like 1000 rumors on www.metsblog.com about this deal. It's crazy....it really is....

YIPPPPEEEEE!!!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/20...s-santana_N.htm

By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

The New York Mets have agreed to a trade for two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, giving up four prospects to acquire the left-handed ace of the Minnesota Twins, according to two high-ranking Twins officials with knowledge of the talks and a person close to Santana.

The deal is pending the Mets and Santana reaching agreement on a six- or seven-year contract extension and that Santana passes a physical; they have been granted a 48 to-72-hour window to do so. Santana has a no-trade clause that he will waive if agreement is reached on a contract extension.

The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

The deal would give the Mets the much-needed ace at the front of their rotation. Santana won the American League Cy Young Award in 2004 and 2006 and is 93-44 lifetime. He went 15-13 with a 3.33 ERA for the Twins last season. Santana has struck out at least 235 batters each of the past four seasons.

While the deal drains much of the talent out of the Mets' farm system, they did manage to hold on to top prospect Fernando Martinez, an outfielder. Instead, they headed the package with Gomez, who turned 22 in December and spent 58 games with the Mets last year.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: MLB | Major League Baseball | Mets | Twins | Cy Young Award | Santana

Gomez is what scouts like to call a five-tool player, a combination of offensive ability that includes power and speed as well as an above-average defensive game and a strong arm. He has worked to cut down a strikeout rate that was high during the early part of a minor league career that began in 2004 after the Mets signed him out of the Dominican Republic. He made his major league debut last May and hit .232.

Humber, 25, is the Mets' 2004 first-round pick who has made five major league appearances, including one start, over the past two seasons. He won 11 games at Class AAA last season, his first full year after having Tommy John surgery in 2005.

Santana would give the Mets the best rotation in the NL East after they missed out on the division title by one game thanks to a historic September collapse. He'd likely be joined by Pedro Martinez, John Maine, Oliver Perez and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez.

The Twins, meanwhile, would see yet another young star they produced leave the organization. Their Gold Glove outfielder, Torii Hunter, left for the Los Angeles Angels this offseason. Gomez would be a candidate to replace him in center field.

—-

No ####### way - didnt even have to trade Martinez?

WOOOOOT!!!!

Back to the top team in the NL baby.

No ####### way - didnt even have to trade Martinez?WOOOOOT!!!!Back to the top team in the NL baby.
They are still not 100% positive because the players aren't official, but if that's the case, we kept Pelfrey, Mazrtinez and Heilman. :thumbup:

Reminding me of the day I got in my car and heard we got Piazza. This might be bigger.

As long as this goes through and the contract details get worked out, which should be the easy part, this is a big time, BIG TIME day in Met history

Reminding me of the day I got in my car and heard we got Piazza. This might be bigger.As long as this goes through and the contract details get worked out, which should be the easy part, this is a big time, BIG TIME day in Met history
AMEN brother!

:lmao: :wub: <_< :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

I'm still in disbelief. Mike and the Mad Dog sounded like they wanted to cry when they heard the news.

What a steal the Mets just made....maybe it'll help us forget about Kazmir once and for all.

Reminding me of the day I got in my car and heard we got Piazza. This might be bigger.

As long as this goes through and the contract details get worked out, which should be the easy part, this is a big time, BIG TIME day in Met history
While this is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I dont think much if anything could surpass getting Piazza.For one, was there any hint we would get Piazza when we did... then hold onto him when he decided after a ####ty beginning to stick it out in NY (that showed BALLS and many dont remember this fact)...

More importantly, when Piazza came aboard, we were a joke Huge market and AWFUL results. Piazza changed the face of the franchise and gave us hope. In that way, getting Pedro was bigger than this in terms of putting the franchise on the right track.

All that said, in terms of pure ability and contribution, we now have THE best pitcher in baseball. That's simply ridiculi.

Im so freakin' pumped!

Just what the Twins need in their farm system. More Kevin Slowey/Scott Baker/Boof Bonser type 9 win 4.60 era type pitchers. Guerra is intriguing, but he's so young and not close to the big leagues. It will be 3 years before this trade can be evaluated on the Twins side. For now, i have to say we got fleeced here in minnesota. I'm starting to feel what it must have been like to be a Brooklyn fan!

TLEF316 said:
congrats mets fans. you absolutely hosed them on this one/
:goodposting: Sheesh, just the other day I was thinking how the Twins played this whole thing off so great - Just waiting and being patient while offers and rumors got thrown around, they were able to spend a ton of time looking at the prospects and making sure they got exactly what they wanted.. .And now THIS :excited: All those names thrown around and that's what they took????????Congrats Met fans!!! :yankeefan:

Ok its been 24 hours. Any word on the contract negotiations?
It will take some time to hammer out all the complexities in this very big contract. Probably some news late tomorrow and a press conference on Friday.But you have to love hearing this from Torii Hunter:Angels OF Torii Hunter, former teammate of Johan Santana, as quoted by Bob Nightengale of USAToday.com…“The Mets are not only getting a Cy Young winner, but an absolute bulldog who’s great in the clubhouse. He’s going to dominate that league. They’re going to absolutely love him in New York…I know he’s happy, too, because he really wanted to go to the Mets. He’s always wanted to swing the wood. He can hit…So I don’t know who’s happier, Johan, the Mets, or everyone in the American League because they don’t have to face him anymore.”

The Mets and Johan Santana's agent were expected to continue contract discussions into Wednesday night, with a deal unlikely to come before Thursday.

Metsblog.com believes the major remaining hurdle is whether the final year of the deal will be guaranteed or in the form of a vesting option. Santana is likely to get five or six guaranteed years at somewhere between $20 million and $25 million per season.

Source: Metsblog.com

Users who are viewing this thread