What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL Apps for iPhone/Droid (1 Viewer)

The free one crashed constantly, which was frustrating. I read all the great feedback on this thread and I'm a big fan of MFL in general, so I went for the pay version even though I wasn't satisfied with the free app. Same problem. Crashes every time I try to log in to a league. I've tried everything - deleting and re-downloading, resetting the phone, etc. Still can't get to any meaningful data before it crashes. Anyone else having similar problems?

The free one crashed constantly, which was frustrating. I read all the great feedback on this thread and I'm a big fan of MFL in general, so I went for the pay version even though I wasn't satisfied with the free app. Same problem. Crashes every time I try to log in to a league. I've tried everything - deleting and re-downloading, resetting the phone, etc. Still can't get to any meaningful data before it crashes. Anyone else having similar problems?
I'm guessing you're referring to one of the iPhone apps?

I went ahead and made the buy after seeing this thread as well, like others have said I'd love to see add/drop and trades when it becomes possible but for now its a very good start. It's a lot quicker than trying to check rosters or set lineups using dolphin browser or anything like that.
:unsure:

MFL Mobile crashes when I try to submit access my roster to submit my lineup. Guessing it can't handle the custom players on rosters. We use high school and college players on dev rosters.
Just saw this as I was reading through the thread. We also have developmental spots for college players. Any plans for a fix for this issue yet?

I just released another version of my app with some feedback from here. Notable items are:

* Has View Rosters - From the My MFL home screen, you can select any franchise and view their roster. You can select a player to see their details.

* Links to MFL.com for players - On the player detail screen (like above), you can click a button to visit the MFL.com profile page for that individual player which shows raw stats and news items.

* Feature to check for updates - One of the biggest support issues I have is folks using old versions of the app and not knowing a new version is available that likely fixes any issue they're having. So, when the app starts it will check against my server to see what version is latest and let you know if there's an update available.

Fantasy Football on the Go (app) lets you put in all your fantasy players and you can check the scores of all your teams at once.

search that from the android market. Im going to see how cool it is today.

Fantasy Football on the Go (app) lets you put in all your fantasy players and you can check the scores of all your teams at once. search that from the android market. Im going to see how cool it is today.
]I wonder where they're getting their data from. I searched to find something I could add to mine for raw stats but nothing is out there, for free, that you can use for commercial purposes. Yahoo was the only one I found that exposes this data, but not for commercial use unfortunately. Would love to know this source so I could add it to mine as well.

I just released another version of my app with some feedback from here. Notable items are:* Has View Rosters - From the My MFL home screen, you can select any franchise and view their roster. You can select a player to see their details.* Links to MFL.com for players - On the player detail screen (like above), you can click a button to visit the MFL.com profile page for that individual player which shows raw stats and news items.* Feature to check for updates - One of the biggest support issues I have is folks using old versions of the app and not knowing a new version is available that likely fixes any issue they're having. So, when the app starts it will check against my server to see what version is latest and let you know if there's an update available.
Just bought and downloaded the newest version (2.0.4) and am getting an error message when I try to submit my lineup. Is this feature still not supported by MFL (yet), or do I need to set something up to be able to submit my lineup? I've signed in under my teams and it's giving me the error in every league. On a Droid X running the newest OS if that helps.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought it would be worthwhile to do so. I wanted to address a few things, talk about plans for 2011, and solicit your feedback on a priority list for 2011.

Starting from nothing and building my Android app "Fantasy Football" over the course of 6 weeks was a crazy experience. I put in a ridiculous number of hours in planning, developing, and supporting it. Far more than I ever expected to. I had high hopes in terms of implementing all of the functionality I possibly could. From the very first release, I took a very iterative approach to adding new features and they quickly piled up in just a few weeks. With each feature came hundreds of emails asking questions and seeking support when things weren't quite right.

What I realized was that supporting something used by thousands of people, that worked with such a highly configurable product like MFL, is a very time consuming task. So, I focused on hardening the core functionality the app provided. I always had the main goal of providing a perceived value of $2.99 to customers. That's the point after all. I want someone to see my app in the Android Market, see what it does, and think it's worth $2.99 of their hard-earned money. I definitely think I hit that mark in 2010 and the reviews and positive personal emails I've received were very much in line with that.

In October, everything calmed down in terms of support as the application had begun to mature and I took many extra steps, mostly unseen through the UI, to make it less likely users would have issues when using the app. I felt good about where the app was and I was rather exhausted from 2 months of working all day, then coming home to work another 4-5 hours on the app. Happy with where the app was, the value it provided, the reviews and emails I was getting, I took a much needed break from day to day development on the app. I felt good about what I was giving fantasy football nuts, such as myself, for $2.99.

Now, I did continue to keep a wish list of items from various sources and this thread alone has been the best source of requests I've received. MFL has improved their API since the fall and I plan on implementing the features they've introduced, but I also intend to implement other ideas brought up here and other places. The huge benefit I have, and therefore my customers have, is that I'm not starting over for this year's app. The 2010 app was opened up just over 430,000 times from Sept-Dec 2010. That's a lot of hours put into proving the core of the app works and letting me think about adding to it, and not worrying about fixing arising issues from it.

I've already started the development cycle for the 2011 app for a number of reasons. Mostly to get well out in front of Sept, to not be rushed like I was last year when I wrote the first line of code for the entire application in early August and had a fully functioning application just a few weeks later. I couldn't keep up that pace again, I guess I'm getting old. :)

But also, because MFL has added some great stuff to their API around their draft system. I've recently published a version of the app for 2011 that gives you a real-time view of your draft. It shows you who's been drafted, at which position (1.02, 2.10, etc), who's next, and which spot your team drafts at next. This view updates in real-time, so there's no need to refresh the screen for updates. When it is your turn to pick, you'll get an Android notification letting you know. The application manages a background service that starts when your phone boots up and checks the MFL servers every 30 minutes, for each league you have registered with the app, and sees if you're up. If so, you'll get a notification letting you know so and which league you're up for. Also, when it's your turn, you'll have the opportunity to make your draft pick through the app as well. I plan to make the update interval configurable so if you need quicker updates than 30 mins, you'll be able to do that. That, in addition to everything the app did last year, is already together and available for 2011.

I want to say I still have the list of requests everyone has already made and I've been putting them in an order to complete, for those that I can implement. If you want to keep those coming, please do, and I'll gladly add them and prioritize based on how many of the same requests I'm getting and how much of an impact they appear to be. In fact, it might be an interesting idea to make that list public via Google Docs. I'll need to think about that and see what makes sense.

So to finish up this monster essay I've seemingly just written, thanks for your support in 2010 and helping me make my app better by suggestions and feedback. I fully intent to raise the bar in 2011.

Do you have any plans to integrate auctions into your app as well?
It has been on my list, but currently it would be read-only support for auction results. At this time, the API supports reading that data but not making actual bids. Do you think having read-only access would be beneficial? If so, I can add that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Fantasy Football app back around January when I got my new Droid X. Was just going to hold onto it until next season. Was pleased to find that a) it was programmed by a FBG, and b) I was refunded my money as a new version came out for next season. Thanks Chris! I really appreciated that. Bought your new one today.

I bought the Fantasy Football app back around January when I got my new Droid X. Was just going to hold onto it until next season. Was pleased to find that a) it was programmed by a FBG, and b) I was refunded my money as a new version came out for next season. Thanks Chris! I really appreciated that. Bought your new one today.
Very glad to hear from one of those I refunded, especially a FBG. I should have made the 2010 version free directly after the season ended but I didn't think about it. So, I ended up with about 50 orders that happened after the season was over. I went in and refunded all of them and sent a link to the new version. Glad to see it worked out for you and thanks for your support for 2011.

Just wanted to say thanks Chris. I used your app in 2010 and was a satisfied customer.

I likely would not have purchased it if I had not seen that you were active in the FBG community.

Satisfied costumer here used for most of 2010..Very excited about the new draft feature.
:thumbup: Please do take it through it's paces and let me know what you think. Last night I implemented features to let you enable/disable the background service, and also set the time interval for when it performs the check. Anywhere from 5 minutes to 24 hours. Hoping to cover a large range of drafts; from the live drafts to the rolling 12-24 hour drafts I've been in.

2.3 is now available which includes a host of features. One of the biggest requests I got last year was the ability to perform FCFS adds and drops. That's now available through the app. Here's the full list of changes:

2.3 - Released 3/15/11

[*]Draft API

[*]Provide options in the preferences for the draft features.

[*]Allow users to enable/disable the background service.

[*]Allow users to change the interval in which the background service runs.

[*]5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours

[*]Draft Pick

[*]Order players by ADP.

[*]Show Green backgrounds based on current pick and ADP.

[*]Add/Drop API

[*]Implement the Add Player API functionality.

[*]Implement the Drop Player API functionality.

[*]Trim league ID input value.

[*]Trim league password input value.

[*]Refactor the layout of the two home screens.

[*]Change “Select Position” menus to a single XML layout.

[*]Change “Select Position” menus to use an AlertDialog instead of a context.

[*]Add better exception handling for timeouts.

[*]Make all ProgressDialog’s able to be cancelled.

[*]Remove support for Android 1.5.

[*]Update home screens with new icons.

[*]BUG: Need to tell the “isDraftTurn” method to be smart about whether the call is coming from the service, or the Draft Pick feature.

[*]BUG: If BASE_SERVER_ID is empty in Draft Room API call, reload it.

Any idea on when trading will be available?
I do know that MFL has just added the ability to see pending trade offers to their API (as of today in fact), which will make its way into my app in the next few days/week. Just the other day I mentioned to them that trades were a big request from 2010, and they reacted by implementing this aspect of the process. I can't speak for them as to when, or if, the other parts (accepting, denying, offering, etc) will be available but if they do become available through the API, they'll find their way into my app.

In addition to MFL Fantasy Football 11, I'm working on another app (or two, or three... :) ) and as I've gotten such great feedback for my app from FBG, I was wondering if a few of you would be interested to take a sneak peek at what I'm working on to provide some early feedback. If so, please send me a PM or email me at cstewart913@gmail.com.

Chris, just Android? :(

'Chris Stewart said:
In addition to MFL Fantasy Football 11, I'm working on another app (or two, or three... :) ) and as I've gotten such great feedback for my app from FBG, I was wondering if a few of you would be interested to take a sneak peek at what I'm working on to provide some early feedback. If so, please send me a PM or email me at cstewart913@gmail.com.

This is awesome. Not only that the app is evolving, but that you post your progress and feedback.

I haven't tried it yet, but since I just bought a tablet, I'll get it soon.

How does your app handle multiple leagues?

thanks!

This is awesome. Not only that the app is evolving, but that you post your progress and feedback.I haven't tried it yet, but since I just bought a tablet, I'll get it soon. How does your app handle multiple leagues?thanks!
On the league selection screen, you can register as many leagues as you'd like with the app. When you select "My MFL" on the home screen, it will present you with the leagues you have registered. Once you select one, you'll go to the My MFL home screen that has features specific to the league you just selected. Someone mentioned in 2010 that they had a huge number of leagues (I want to say 20+) and it worked out fine for them.

This is awesome. Not only that the app is evolving, but that you post your progress and feedback.I haven't tried it yet, but since I just bought a tablet, I'll get it soon. How does your app handle multiple leagues?thanks!
On the league selection screen, you can register as many leagues as you'd like with the app. When you select "My MFL" on the home screen, it will present you with the leagues you have registered. Once you select one, you'll go to the My MFL home screen that has features specific to the league you just selected. Someone mentioned in 2010 that they had a huge number of leagues (I want to say 20+) and it worked out fine for them.
nice! thanks!

I pushed out the most recent app I've been working on tonight. It's called Draft Manager 11 -- and the idea behind the app is that it replaces the draft magazine so many owners buy each year. It lets you tick off players you've drafted, and those your fellow owners have drafted at an in-person draft, to narrow your view to just those available.

You can see a few screenshots on the app's market page (as I haven't built a page on my personal site just yet): https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chriswstewart.draftmanager

There's also a video on that page, and here's the direct YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlV4f-5KDJ4

I've already gotten a lot of great feedback from some of you that I'm already planning out releases for, very much like I did for the MFL app. One of the biggest I think you all will be interested in are MFL league-specific features that will give MFL owners an even more compelling experience for using the app.

I built this specifically for the Android 3.0 tablet as I think the user experience and real estate makes it extremely compelling and based on the feedback I've be getting, I think a lot of folks agree. So if you give this app a go, please let me know what you think!

Quick question for the FBG out there... would the ability to see pending trade offers on your phone be useful to you? Currently, you can't accept/reject/counter them, but at least getting the chance to see them. Sound worthwhile to have?

Quick question for the FBG out there... would the ability to see pending trade offers on your phone be useful to you? Currently, you can't accept/reject/counter them, but at least getting the chance to see them. Sound worthwhile to have?
Who can't? I can on my iphone.

I'm speaking in the context of a native app, specifically my app for Android. The ability to view pending trade offers was recently added to the MFL API, which means native app developers can utilize this now as well. I'm hoping to hear from a few of my customers to see if adding this to the app would be useful for them.

I'm speaking in the context of a native app, specifically my app for Android. The ability to view pending trade offers was recently added to the MFL API, which means native app developers can utilize this now as well. I'm hoping to hear from a few of my customers to see if adding this to the app would be useful for them.
I would find it useful. At least until the full ability to make trades comes about.

Got your app on my elocity tablet and my htc inspire....thanks chris...love that it notifies me when my turn to draft is.

Can I ask why anyone would pay $3 for this app when they can just go on the MFL website for free and do anything they want. No offense to the creator of this app, but it should be free and paid for by advertising. Can someone help me with understanding why I should pay for something I can do for free.

Because it is formatted better for the screen, doesnt require as much refresh, we want to support developers, especially FBG developers...

Thats a start anyway. If you dont want to buy it just move on, no need to waste our time with your crying about it.

Can I ask why anyone would pay $3 for this app when they can just go on the MFL website for free and do anything they want. No offense to the creator of this app, but it should be free and paid for by advertising. Can someone help me with understanding why I should pay for something I can do for free.
Luckily I am in the position to handle the 2.0 cents per day it cost to have this app during the fantasy season. I can certainly understand how some people couldn't afford to have this on their android phone in today's economy.

I personally feel like renewing an app for 3 bucks every year is kind of pricey, relatively speaking. But I went ahead and did it anyway, and I'm somewhat regretting it. All my icons under My MFL are smushed together and all the titles are either cut off or not shown at all. Also when I click the notepad icon next to the live draft button, not sure what the title is because its covered by whatever icon is above it, I get a force close and have to restart the app

Users who are viewing this thread