What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mid-level WR's (1 Viewer)

Prince Myshkin

Footballguy
I'm noticing in a few leagues that some of the mid-level wr's are available either on the waiver wire in leagues with small rosters or for trade. I'm talking about guys like Boldin, Moss, TB Mike Williams, Burress, Harvin, Colston to name a few...guys that are their team's #1 or have been a solid starting fantasy wr in the past, but aren't producing much this year.

What's the general opinion on this tier of wr's? Any that stand out with a chance to put up numbers as the season progresses? I'm thinking Tampa Mike is a guy that has a big chance of picking up the pace from here on out. While I don't think Freeman is as good as he appeared last year, I don't think he's as bad as he's seemed this year either. The Bucs could be in some shootouts or behind early in several of their upcoming games and forced to throw the ball more than usual. Looks like talent meeting opportunity to me :shrug: Thinking of targeting him as a throw-in in a couple of trades!

Boldin might be another possibility too. He had a bad week against the Jets and hasn't done anything fantastic yet, but he looked good to me in the game against the Rams. After the flop in week 4 and the bye week last week, I'm thinking he could be had on the cheap right now.

I agree on Boldin... teams can't keep letting Ray Rice do whatever he wants. I would think the added attention would have to open things up in the BAL passing game (of course, it feels like we've been waiting for their passing game to open up since Brian Billick first came to town.

I also think Santonio Holmes, Manningham, and Crabtree will have a chance to turn it around (listed in descending level of confidence).

I've lost faith fast in TB-Mike... still got him on my bench, but the Bucc's look really lost in 2011 (aside from one half of football against the Colts).

Malcom Floyd obviously has his limitations but I refuse to believe he's the 56th best fantasy WR in league. He finally came back last week 3-100-1 and has a bye this week to fully put the hamstring issue to bed. Absence of Gates, presence of Jackson and solid run support plus a very favorable second half @ NYJ, @ KAN, GBP and OAK sets him up nicely to still finish as a high-end WR3 by season's end.

Plax has been getting constant targets (especially RZ).

With the Jets inability to run, I can't help but think he's going to be a solid WR3, especially during these bye-weeks.

I like Sanzenbacher....he's no longer a sleeper and I think he could be the Amendola PPR guy for years to come in Chicago (or elsewhere if they're dumb enough to cut him). Think what Belicheck could do with a guy like this....I'm just sayin'.

http://fantasyfootba...r.blogspot.com/
Unfortunately, he's going back to the bench when Bennett returns. J Angelo said as much a few days ago.

His catches the other night all came late in the 4th when the Bears were playing catch-up and the Lions were leaving Sanzenbacher open on the underneath routes while covering the deeper stuff.

He's a sell high right now, as Bennett returned to practice this week, but is still (apparently) a week or two away from returning.

Malcom Floyd obviously has his limitations but I refuse to believe he's the 56th best fantasy WR in league. He finally came back last week 3-100-1 and has a bye this week to fully put the hamstring issue to bed. Absence of Gates, presence of Jackson and solid run support plus a very favorable second half @ NYJ, @ KAN, GBP and OAK sets him up nicely to still finish as a high-end WR3 by season's end.
I like Floyd because he can be had cheaper than almost any of the other guys mentioned. He's a decent WR and should continue to produce, though I don't think he has the ceiling of some of the other guys. I've traded for him in a couple of leagues and he comes cheap, and as a #3/#4 I'm happy with him.

I think the absence of Gates hurts the Charger receivers. With Gates in there, defenses have to pay particular attention to what he's doing in the middle of the field, which opens things up for those outside guys. Without Gates, I think d's have made the adjustment to stop the SD wr's and take their chances with the Chargers te's and backs catching the ball.

I think the absence of Gates hurts the Charger receivers. With Gates in there, defenses have to pay particular attention to what he's doing in the middle of the field, which opens things up for those outside guys. Without Gates, I think d's have made the adjustment to stop the SD wr's and take their chances with the Chargers te's and backs catching the ball.
good post . . .

Santana Moss clearly. #12 last year in PPR, and doing it again this year. Get him immediately if he is on a waiver wire. I'd grab Colston too

Santana Moss clearly. #12 last year in PPR, and doing it again this year. Get him immediately if he is on a waiver wire. I'd grab Colston too
I second this, Moss has been steady but quiet so far this season, think he could be had in trade at a discount. Only a matter of time before he has his trademark blow-up game and the opportunity for buying low disappears. View him as a solid WR2 with WR1 upside a few games out of the season.Another guy I like to rebound this weekend and forward is Deion Branch. With Hernandez in the game defenses won't be able to key on him which explains the downtick in his production while Hernandez was out. Might be able to capitalize on someone who attributes it to the Patriots offense spreading the love.

couple of down weeks for Stevie Johnson makes owners willing to part with him, I just sent Mcgahee and Branch away for him in one league.

couple of down weeks for Stevie Johnson makes owners willing to part with him, I just sent Mcgahee and Branch away for him in one league.
Um, I would have given you Stevie for that even if he was coming off a couple of good weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, I would have given you Stevie for that even if he was coming off a couple of good weeks.
prob could of gone mcgahee straight up normally but had to sweeten that deal, thats what it takes to pry guys in this league, start 3 WR 2 RB league, now im set at all positions

prob could of gone mcgahee straight up normally but had to sweeten that deal, thats what it takes to pry guys in this league, start 3 WR 2 RB league, now im set at all positions
Understood,It's difficult to make trades, most guys want more than they are willing to give up: I had an owner in one league offer me Roddy White for Robert Meachum in week three (3). I accepted. The Commish voided the trade. Yesterday, the same owner offered me Brandon Jacobs for Shonne Green. Go figure?

Understood,

It's difficult to make trades, most guys want more than they are willing to give up:

I had an owner in one league offer me Roddy White for Robert Meachum in week three (3). I accepted. The Commish voided the trade. Yesterday, the same owner offered me Brandon Jacobs for Shonne Green. Go figure?
man that would of been a sweet deal! Ya everyone is stacked at RBs in this league but not willing to move WR1s.

I would be surprised if Moss is available in many leagues. He has been solid as a rock this season, putting up between 12-18 points every week in PPR. I gladly start him as my WR2 every week without a thought. It's nice to know you have that one player who will get you solid points almost guaranteed.Maybe I am different than most, but it would take quite a bit for someone to get him from me in trade just because of his consistency.

I would be surprised if Moss is available in many leagues. He has been solid as a rock this season, putting up between 12-18 points every week in PPR. I gladly start him as my WR2 every week without a thought. It's nice to know you have that one player who will get you solid points almost guaranteed.Maybe I am different than most, but it would take quite a bit for someone to get him from me in trade just because of his consistency.
it seems in my leagues that moss is viewed as an "unsexy" player. he's consistent as you say, but doesn't seem to have those big weeks very often. his ceiling seems low (but his floor is higher than many other wr's at this level too). of course most of the leagues i play in are non-ppr, so maybe it's different in ppr.

What about Harvin? He hasn't done a damn thing, but he's right up there with Peterson in terms of being the Vikings only legitimate playmaker. You've gotta think the Vikings will be playing from behind a lot and looking to get the ball into Percy's hands. Or are the concerns about his health and usage too real for there to be much optimism about him being a legitimate fantasy producer from here on out?

What about Harvin? He hasn't done a damn thing, but he's right up there with Peterson in terms of being the Vikings only legitimate playmaker. You've gotta think the Vikings will be playing from behind a lot and looking to get the ball into Percy's hands. Or are the concerns about his health and usage too real for there to be much optimism about him being a legitimate fantasy producer from here on out?
Did they get a new QB?

Perhaps the fact that my 2, 3 and 4 receivers are on this list repeatedly (Holmes, Harvin, Moss) is the best indication why I am 0-5? :thumbdown:

'Prince Myshkin said:
'solorca said:
it seems in my leagues that moss is viewed as an "unsexy" player. he's consistent as you say, but doesn't seem to have those big weeks very often. his ceiling seems low (but his floor is higher than many other wr's at this level too). of course most of the leagues i play in are non-ppr, so maybe it's different in ppr.
I think that Moss is one of those players who is great if you have a good team and nee

I'm leaning towards Decker here. If Lloyd gets traded, he becomes the #1 guy for Tebow. He isn't a deep threat and Tebow likes to dink and dunk when plays break down. Decker will be his go to guy, unfortunately we will have to wait and see in 2 weeks. Even if Lloyd doesn't get traded, I still believe Decker is the guy you will want to own on the Broncos, especially in a PPR league.

I think you'll see Harvin's value increase substantially when McNabb is benched this week or next. Ponder will need him, and more importantly, he will be able to get the ball to him.

He was dropped in my league last week due to the bye and I grabbed him (no PPR though). I hope you are right.

I think that Moss is one of those players who is great if you have a good team and nee
I think I see what you are saying here. If you have other home run hitters, Moss is a good guy to have to give you those 'guaranteed' points. If you are looking for that guy that can single-handedly win a week or 2 for you, Moss probably isn't the guy to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread