What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike McCarthy (1 Viewer)

KingPrawn said:
I would agree. While I don't think McCarthy is the world's greatest coach by any stretch of the imagination I don't see him having anything to do with this firing. I would also bet that there is a lot more to this firing than just this comment. I read the original article in the Journal Sentinel that Mike Florio uses as the basis of his story and it was incredibly one-sided. It interviewed the guy that got fired with no attempt to get the other side of the story. There's more to this guy's firing then he his telling.
:goodposting:
Are you guys really that ignorant that you actually think McCarthy had nothing to do with this guy getting fired. There may be a lot more to the story but to think that McCarthy had nothing to do with this is laughable.

trader jake said:
This guy got fired for being an idiot.
This is probably closer to the truth. No one is going to get fired for saying "Lets kick some butt this week" or even "Lets kick some ###". No one knows what this guys work history was, or what was truly said, except those involved.Anyone who believes that's truly what was said is kidding themselves. Somewhere the truth is, but geez, come on all you haters, think about it rationally for a minute.

Regardless of what this guy may have said to him, MM just comes across as a major doosh bag, IMO.
What if...and its a big if...but what if McCarthy really had nothing to do with the guy being fired?Yet some of you are so convinced it was him?Look, he is a bad head coach...no doubt about it...does not mean he is responsible for the guy being fired.
You really need to wake up if you think that McCarthy wasn't involved in some way with this guy getting fired.
I think its possible he is involved since it was said to him, and he at least asked the guy's name from his supervisor.But can you admit that its possible he never said to fire the guy? That the supervisors found out what exactly was said and acted on their own?
Yes it is possible and it is likely the possibility of that is less than 10%.
Why?Don't think a grounds crew super visor wants to kiss up to the big boss and say he took care of it?

Regardless of what this guy may have said to him, MM just comes across as a major doosh bag, IMO.
What if...and its a big if...but what if McCarthy really had nothing to do with the guy being fired?Yet some of you are so convinced it was him?Look, he is a bad head coach...no doubt about it...does not mean he is responsible for the guy being fired.
What if... and it shouldn't be a big if, but what if the guy yelled out to McCarthy "Don't lay an egg" and McCarthy yelled back "I'm going to do my best not to" and walked away without looking for a reason to be insulted and wasting his time finding out the guys name to compalin about it?
Just a whole lot of conclusions being jumped to by people here over something so trivial.
and you are doing the same thing
No...im really not.Im saying there are many possibilities...and it makes little sense logically to think McCarthy fired the guy as has been claimed in places...or even told them to fire him.Im not automatically assuming what actually happened and blasting one person for it.

trader jake said:
This guy got fired for being an idiot.
This is probably closer to the truth. No one is going to get fired for saying "Lets kick some butt this week" or even "Lets kick some ###". No one knows what this guys work history was, or what was truly said, except those involved.Anyone who believes that's truly what was said is kidding themselves. Somewhere the truth is, but geez, come on all you haters, think about it rationally for a minute.

You really need to wake up if you think that McCarthy wasn't involved in some way with this guy getting fired.
So you are an insider? Ok tell us what exactly happened? :goodposting:

I'm not necessarily saying MM had anything to do w/ the guy's firing. I mean, MM simply comes across like a big-time doosh to me. I opined in a Favre thread last year (I think on another site) that MM & TT would be better off hiring PR people as they both just came across in the wrong way. What I've seen of MM (VERY subjective on my part, I know), makes me think he's simply a doosh bag, not a very likable guy. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do w/ his abilities as a coach.

So you are an insider? Ok tell us what exactly happened? :goodposting:
Common sense. Something you don't have.

What if... and it shouldn't be a big if, but what if the guy yelled out to McCarthy "Don't lay an egg" and McCarthy yelled back "I'm going to do my best not to" and walked away without looking for a reason to be insulted and wasting his time finding out the guys name to compalin about it?
Well...guess what...he didn't. Thing is...we have no clue exactly what was said.Yet the assumption is that McCarthy had the guy fired.Look, I have said I want McCarthy gone after this year. So its not like Im defending him as a coach.Just a whole lot of conclusions being jumped to by people here over something so trivial.
I'm guessing it's not so trivial to the guy who lost his job

I'm not necessarily saying MM had anything to do w/ the guy's firing. I mean, MM simply comes across like a big-time doosh to me. I opined in a Favre thread last year (I think on another site) that MM & TT would be better off hiring PR people as they both just came across in the wrong way. What I've seen of MM (VERY subjective on my part, I know), makes me think he's simply a doosh bag, not a very likable guy. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do w/ his abilities as a coach.
I could see this opinion about THompson at times.But MM just comes off as a guy who does nothing but give cliched coach-speak answers to anything.Never got a dooshy feel from him.Thompson I could see because he does not talk to the media much and seems to be cold with them and with fans at times...not all that open to things as some predecessors were. But...to each his own.Either way with him being involved or not...Im hoping he is gone after this season.

Don't think a grounds crew super visor wants to kiss up to the big boss and say he took care of it?
Do you get paid to kiss up to the big boss too?
Well tell us what exactly happened. I'm dying to know.I don't know what happened, and I don't assume what happened. Could McCarthy have fired him for this? You bet.Could his supervisor have fired him for this? You bet.What did he say?You actually believe the guy said that all he said was to "have your boys kick some butt"?Yea, that's exactly what happened. :lmao: :lmao:

So you are an insider? Ok tell us what exactly happened? :lmao:
Common sense. Something you don't have.
Well......... What happened? :lmao:

I'm guessing it's not so trivial to the guy who lost his job
Well know. But Im guessing that guy is not posting here.I did not mean its not trivial to a guy losing his "part time" job...he actually does have another job.I meant it from the standpoint of the Green Bay Packers football team...its rather trivial.

Don't think a grounds crew super visor wants to kiss up to the big boss and say he took care of it?
Well tell us what exactly happened. I'm dying to know.I don't know what happened, and I don't assume what happened. Could McCarthy have fired him for this? You bet.Could his supervisor have fired him for this? You bet.What did he say?You actually believe the guy said that all he said was to "have your boys kick some butt"?Yea, that's exactly what happened. :lmao: :lmao:
And for you clowns that actually think McCarthy was not involved in any way with the firing. :lmao:

Well tell us what exactly happened. I'm dying to know.I don't know what happened, and I don't assume what happened. Could McCarthy have fired him for this? You bet.

Could his supervisor have fired him for this? You bet.

What did he say?

You actually believe the guy said that all he said was to "have your boys kick some butt"?

Yea, that's exactly what happened.

:lmao: :lmao:
And for you clowns that actually think McCarthy was not involved in any way with the firing. :lmao:
Again, what actually happened?????

, I'm waiting for you to tell us.You need some reading comprehension. The post you just quoted I said McCarthy could be involved.

Maybe this is your problem, you don't comprehend what you read. You only read into things what you WANT it to be,

Well tell us what exactly happened. I'm dying to know.I don't know what happened, and I don't assume what happened. Could McCarthy have fired him for this? You bet.

What did he say?

You actually believe the guy said that all he said was to "have your boys kick some butt"?

:lmao: :lmao:

, I'm waiting for you to tell us.You need some reading comprehension. The post you just quoted I said McCarthy could be involved.

Maybe this is your problem, you don't comprehend what you read. You only read into things what you WANT it to be,
Gotta love watching Mr. Pack in action. I think he may be an uncle to sho nuff.

What did he say?

:lol: :lmao:
And for you clowns that actually think McCarthy was not involved in any way with the firing. :popcorn:

Gotta love watching Mr. Pack in action. I think he may be an uncle to sho nuff.
Well, I'm done with you. Obviously you can't comprehend what I'm saying and you keep making stupid assumptions. Since you seem to KNOW McCarthy was involved and won't tell the rest of us why, please don't post until the rest of us know for sure what happened. :yawn:

Well...guess what...he didn't. Thing is...we have no clue exactly what was said.Yet the assumption is that McCarthy had the guy fired.Look, I have said I want McCarthy gone after this year. So its not like Im defending him as a coach.Just a whole lot of conclusions being jumped to by people here over something so trivial.
That's the point. The comment made to McCarthy was trivial, but the guy lost his job for it. McCarthy may not have asked for the guy to be fired, but the fact that he even mentioned it to someone with the authority to fire him is stupid and in fact does mean he is respoinsible for the guy losing his job.

That's the point. The comment made to McCarthy was trivial, but the guy lost his job for it. McCarthy may not have asked for the guy to be fired, but the fact that he even mentioned it to someone with the authority to fire him is stupid and in fact does mean he is respoinsible for the guy losing his job.
For the most part I agree with you, but the thing is, we just don't know exactly what was said. We don't know how trivial the comment was.

So let's imagine this exchange takes place between McCarthy and Wood.

McCarthy walks away to his car and doesn't think much of it.

Next imagine that the next day, he bumps into some Packer higher-up at the facility, and purely out of curiosity and not anger or malice, he offhandedly asks, "hey by the way, what's the name of that guy that works down at the loading dock?" Like I said maybe he was curious, or was hoping to address the guy by name the next time he saw him or whatever.

The Packer higher-up's response, naturally, was "why coach, did something happen?"

To which McCarthy replies, "we had a brief exchange last night but it was no big deal. He wanted to be sure we don't lay an egg on Sunday." (Or some similar benign, offhanded comment.)

And that 15-second conversation with the Packer higher-up ends McCarthy's involvement in the situation.

The Packer higher-up is embarrassed that one of the team's employees disrespect the head coach, and fully of his own initiative fires the guy (or passes it down the line to have the guy fired).

Now in that scenario did McCarthy act inappropriately? Is he "responsible for the guy losing his job"?

Not saying this is what happened. But it sure seems not only plausible, but IMO more believable than whatever version has McCarthy seeking out this guy's boss for the express purpose of getting him fired.

So let's imagine this exchange takes place between McCarthy and Wood.McCarthy walks away to his car and doesn't think much of it.Next imagine that the next day, he bumps into some Packer higher-up at the facility, and purely out of curiosity and not anger or malice, he offhandedly asks, "hey by the way, what's the name of that guy that works down at the loading dock?" Like I said maybe he was curious, or was hoping to address the guy by name the next time he saw him or whatever.The Packer higher-up's response, naturally, was "why coach, did something happen?"To which McCarthy replies, "we had a brief exchange last night but it was no big deal. He wanted to be sure we don't lay an egg on Sunday." (Or some similar benign, offhanded comment.)And that 15-second conversation with the Packer higher-up ends McCarthy's involvement in the situation.The Packer higher-up is embarrassed that one of the team's employees disrespect the head coach, and fully of his own initiative fires the guy (or passes it down the line to have the guy fired).Now in that scenario did McCarthy act inappropriately? Is he "responsible for the guy losing his job"?Not saying this is what happened. But it sure seems not only plausible, but IMO more believable than whatever version has McCarthy seeking out this guy's boss for the express purpose of getting him fired.
First of all, that's a stretch. Second, if he wanted to know the guys name, he could ask him himself. And finally, if the situation happend as you described, the guy wouldn't have been fired. In fact, there would be no grounds to fire him and he'd have a lawsuit, which I'm pretty sure he does anyway.

So let's imagine this exchange takes place between McCarthy and Wood.McCarthy walks away to his car and doesn't think much of it.Next imagine that the next day, he bumps into some Packer higher-up at the facility, and purely out of curiosity and not anger or malice, he offhandedly asks, "hey by the way, what's the name of that guy that works down at the loading dock?" Like I said maybe he was curious, or was hoping to address the guy by name the next time he saw him or whatever.The Packer higher-up's response, naturally, was "why coach, did something happen?"To which McCarthy replies, "we had a brief exchange last night but it was no big deal. He wanted to be sure we don't lay an egg on Sunday." (Or some similar benign, offhanded comment.)And that 15-second conversation with the Packer higher-up ends McCarthy's involvement in the situation.The Packer higher-up is embarrassed that one of the team's employees disrespect the head coach, and fully of his own initiative fires the guy (or passes it down the line to have the guy fired).Now in that scenario did McCarthy act inappropriately? Is he "responsible for the guy losing his job"?Not saying this is what happened. But it sure seems not only plausible, but IMO more believable than whatever version has McCarthy seeking out this guy's boss for the express purpose of getting him fired.
First of all, that's a stretch. Second, if he wanted to know the guys name, he could ask him himself. And finally, if the situation happend as you described, the guy wouldn't have been fired. In fact, there would be no grounds to fire him and he'd have a lawsuit, which I'm pretty sure he does anyway.
The strong likelihood here is that the guy is (was) an employee at will, so the Packers can fire him for just about any reason (or no reason at all), without risk of being sued.Look McCarthy said he didn't know anything about the guy getting fired, by whom, or why. Who works on the grounds crew is not his dept. To me that's easy to believe to be true, even knowing that this incident is indeed what led to that outcome. My guess is, word of this thing got around the organization, and from there the decision to can the guy was made without McCarthy's input or even knowledge.

I didn't read through the whole thread - but the real question is - what was he fired for?

If not for legitimate janitorial reasons, then why doesn't Mr McCarthy make it right and say, "You know what? I was misunderstood. Bring the guy back."

Nope. He was fired. Not my fault. I asked his name...

For the most part I agree with you, but the thing is, we just don't know exactly what was said. We don't know how trivial the comment was.
How does it matter what the guy said? Unless he said something like "if you lose, I'll hunt you down and kill you" or "I ****ed your mother" then I can't imagine the statement was bad enough to deserve firing. In other words, it's borderline irrelevant what the guy said.In all reasonable scenarios, the guy was being a jerk off, said something stupid, MM overreacted and said something to a higher up, the guy then got fired.

First of all, I would say it is highly likely that this employee's manager acted on his own discretion in firing this part-time maintenance guy and extremely unlikely that McCarthy would have any role in non-football operational matters within the organization. I agree that McCarthy could should have known that his discussion with the manger could lead to that result, but it is highly unlikely that he demanded or even suggested that result - he almost certainly has not authority to do so. Secondly, anyone can file a lawsuit over anything at all, but there are no grounds whatsoever for a non-frivolous termination lawsuit in this situation.Finally, I would suggest that if this guy had never been fired, and the media had somehow gotten ahold of the story, the same cast of Monday morning joe six packs would be in here howling about how he's lost the team, he's become a joke in the organization, and even the janitor feels free to insult him without repercussion.

How does it matter what the guy said? Unless he said something like "if you lose, I'll hunt you down and kill you" or "I ****ed your mother" then I can't imagine the statement was bad enough to deserve firing. In other words, it's borderline irrelevant what the guy said.In all reasonable scenarios, the guy was being a jerk off, said something stupid, MM overreacted and said something to a higher up, the guy then got fired.
THIS.Exactly. How does what he said affect his ability to cut grass and roll out tarps? Verbal warning for acting and saying something stupid. This does not = getting fired. I'd be getting a lawyer.

THIS.Exactly. How does what he said affect his ability to cut grass and roll out tarps? Verbal warning for acting and saying something stupid. This does not = getting fired. I'd be getting a lawyer.
:thumbup: :lmao:

Your lawyer would explain employment at will, and make it clear that you have no case, and then send you on your way with his bill for $200.

Your lawyer would explain employment at will, and make it clear that you have no case, and then send you on your way with his bill for $200.
Hmmm...had no idea. Things are a little different here in Canada. As a Manager, I wish I had this latitude to fire some of my people.

Hmmm...had no idea. Things are a little different here in Canada. As a Manager, I wish I had this latitude to fire some of my people.
He can find a lawyer who'll play up the conflict between MM and find a way to get a settlement.

The lawyer would also likely explain that what the Packers did was thin-skinned, childish, and that they looked like high-profile a-holes as a result. He'd probably also advise the guy to keep showing up at the stadium bar for every game to continue showing he's a true Packer fan and to keep the negative publicity focused squarely where it belongs --- on the Packers.LOL at making the case that because an employer can do something, it's the right thing to do.

It doesn't matter what happened. It's another example of poor communication by the Packers front office and they don't need any more negative PR.

The strong likelihood here is that the guy is (was) an employee at will, so the Packers can fire him for just about any reason (or no reason at all), without risk of being sued.Look McCarthy said he didn't know anything about the guy getting fired, by whom, or why. Who works on the grounds crew is not his dept. To me that's easy to believe to be true, even knowing that this incident is indeed what led to that outcome. My guess is, word of this thing got around the organization, and from there the decision to can the guy was made without McCarthy's input or even knowledge.
Ok, didn't know it was this "employee at will" with different rules, but even lawsuit aside, if McCathy (spelling error intentional) commented back and left it at that, the media, the guys boss, and none of us would have ever heard of this incident. We all did because McCathy couldn't be a man about it.

Without knowing exactly what McCarthy said to any higher up...how can you say he overreacted?

First of all, I would say it is highly likely that this employee's manager acted on his own discretion in firing this part-time maintenance guy and extremely unlikely that McCarthy would have any role in non-football operational matters within the organization. I agree that McCarthy could should have known that his discussion with the manger could lead to that result, but it is highly unlikely that he demanded or even suggested that result - he almost certainly has not authority to do so. Secondly, anyone can file a lawsuit over anything at all, but there are no grounds whatsoever for a non-frivolous termination lawsuit in this situation.Finally, I would suggest that if this guy had never been fired, and the media had somehow gotten ahold of the story, the same cast of Monday morning joe six packs would be in here howling about how he's lost the team, he's become a joke in the organization, and even the janitor feels free to insult him without repercussion.

So let's imagine this exchange takes place between McCarthy and Wood.

McCarthy walks away to his car and doesn't think much of it.

Next imagine that the next day, he bumps into some Packer higher-up at the facility, and purely out of curiosity and not anger or malice, he offhandedly asks, "hey by the way, what's the name of that guy that works down at the loading dock?" Like I said maybe he was curious, or was hoping to address the guy by name the next time he saw him or whatever.

The Packer higher-up's response, naturally, was "why coach, did something happen?"

To which McCarthy replies, "we had a brief exchange last night but it was no big deal. He wanted to be sure we don't lay an egg on Sunday." (Or some similar benign, offhanded comment.)

And that 15-second conversation with the Packer higher-up ends McCarthy's involvement in the situation.

The Packer higher-up is embarrassed that one of the team's employees disrespect the head coach, and fully of his own initiative fires the guy (or passes it down the line to have the guy fired).

Now in that scenario did McCarthy act inappropriately? Is he "responsible for the guy losing his job"?

Not saying this is what happened. But it sure seems not only plausible, but IMO more believable than whatever version has McCarthy seeking out this guy's boss for the express purpose of getting him fired.
Ok, didn't know it was this "employee at will" with different rules, but even lawsuit aside, if McCathy (spelling error intentional) commented back and left it at that, the media, the guys boss, and none of us would have ever heard of this incident. We all did because McCathy couldn't be a man about it.
Bolded the part that is not factual at all and just a pure assumption.

Without knowing exactly what McCarthy said to any higher up...how can you say he overreacted?
The guy was fired and McCarthy could have prevented it or made sure he got this job back. He didn't. McCarthy comes across as a baby. Defend him all you want. The majority of comments about this on Packer message boards are against the front office for this.http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/69990532.html

McCarthy says he didn't push for employee's firing

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Nov. 13, 2009

Green Bay - Coach Mike McCarthy admitted today that he did have a conversation with former Packers employee Mike Wood and later inquired about Wood's name to a supervisor, but denied any involvement in Wood's firing.

"He made a comment to me, I made a comment to him, it's not the worst thing that's been said, but I would not say it to a fellow employee," McCarthy said. "So that's as far as I want to go with it."

Asked if he had anything to do with Wood's firing, McCarthy said "absolutely not."

McCarthy would not reveal what Wood said when asked directly about it.

"Like I said, it's not the worst thing that's been said but I wouldn't say it to a fellow employee," McCarthy said.

Wood told the Journal Sentinel he yelled to McCarthy, "Hey coach, let's get the boys ready to kick some butt this weekend," on Oct. 28, four days before the Packers faced Brett Favre and the Minnesota Vikings.

On Nov. 1, Wood was told McCarthy informed a supervisor that Wood had said something about not "laying an egg" against the Vikings. Wood was then terminated.

Here's the full text of McCarthy's comments from this afternoon:

(Your reaction to the story about the firing of Mike Wood?)

I'd like to address it. I was made aware of it this morning on my radio show, or radio show I do in Milwaukee. I was taken aback by it, naturally. But...You know, I walk through that loading dock every day. Had a conversation, a comment was made, I commented back, got in the car, had a chance to inquire to (fields manager) Allen (Johnson) about what the man's name was. And that's my involvement.

(Are you sure it was him that made the comment?)

Yes.

(Was the comment he made, 'Don't lay an egg?')

I was hoping you guys weren't going to go this far with this. I'm going to be honest with you, I don't really know the man. He made a comment to me, I made a comment to him, it's not the worst thing that's been said, but I would not say it to a fellow employee. So that's as far as I want to go with it.

(Did you ask anyone for him to be fired?)

Absolutely not.

(Do you think the Packers are becoming overly sensitive?)

I don't think so.

(Did you suggest to anyone that he be dismissed?)

It was a one-minute conversation and that's the last I heard of it. I asked what his name was.

(What exactly did you hear him say?)

Like I said, it's not the worst thing that's been said but I wouldn't say it to a fellow employee.

(Did you think the course of action taken by the organization was justified?)

I'm not involved in that decision and frankly I had zero intention, zero conversation and zero conversation, intention or anything to do with that.

(Wouldn't you say you played a part in that decision?)

It's not my reponsibility. No I didn't.

(Would you like to see him get his job back?)

I've addressed it. Once again, I had one conversation and I inquired about what the man's name was. That's as far I took the conversation. And now I'm answering questions about it.

(What did you say back to him?)

Once again, he made a comment, I commented back to him, I walked to the car near where the comment was made and that was it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious that people blame the front office for a part time maintenance guy getting fired.

Pretty much sure they would blame McCarthy or Thompson if a light bulb on the scoreboard went out too.

Hilarious that people blame the front office for a part time maintenance guy getting fired.Pretty much sure they would blame McCarthy or Thompson if a light bulb on the scoreboard went out too.
Hilarious that people don't have the common sense to realize what took place here. Employee makes a comment that McCarthy doesn't like...McCarthy responds with a comment to the employee and then finds out the name of that employee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious that people blame the front office for a part time maintenance guy getting fired. Pretty much sure they would blame McCarthy or Thompson if a light bulb on the scoreboard went out too.
After all of this time and reading all of these posts, you still do not know how to write in paragraph form? Seriously?

Hilarious that people blame the front office for a part time maintenance guy getting fired.Pretty much sure they would blame McCarthy or Thompson if a light bulb on the scoreboard went out too.
Hilarious that people don't have the common sense to realize what took place here. Employee makes a comment that McCarthy doesn't like...McCarthy responds with a comment to the employee and then finds out the name of that employee.
:thumbdown: An employee with 22 years with one company generally doesn't get fired in the middle of the company's busy season. Economics aren't a factor so there must be something else. The Packers appear very petty and vindictive here.

Users who are viewing this thread