What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Neal DE (playing OLB) (1 Viewer)

Nobody knows about this guy outside of GB. He had 4 solos 5 hurries and 1 sack last week. He'll be on the field even more now that Clay is out. There is the potential for him to be a souped up version of Ninkovich at the DE slot.

Sorry he's not DE eligible for you. For the other guys here is some information to support that he may be worth a flier:

Neal finished last season as the third best 3-4 defensive end in pass rushing productivity. Only J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans and Arthur Jones of the Baltimore Ravens were more productive on a per snap basis than Neal, who tallied 20 total quarterback pressures (sacks, hits and hurries) over just 191 pass-rushing snaps." (PFF)

Clay Matthews: "Let's be honest. Mike's a freak. Most 300-pound guys aren't going to have an athletic frame like him. Now he moves as well as me or anyone who's an outside linebacker who's 240 to 260, and he's that much bigger." (JS Online)

Watch him chase down Alfred Morris and talk about how Matthews has helped him with the transition to outside linebacker: http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers-Live-Mike-Neal/2ca17f1e-4174-4d40-8e7c-ec6515a98cdf

Two questions:

Is he an every down player?

Is he only playing LB while Mathews is out?

We'll have to see how he's used this week. B. Jones and Matthews are out. He saw 67% last week because Hawk is the dime LB and Detroit was spreading it out.

Neal has outplayed Perry and got the start opposite Matthews last week. He has the opportunity to play opposite Matthews after he comes back.

Sorry he's not DE eligible for you. For the other guys here is some information to support that he may be worth a flier:

Neal finished last season as the third best 3-4 defensive end in pass rushing productivity. Only J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans and Arthur Jones of the Baltimore Ravens were more productive on a per snap basis than Neal, who tallied 20 total quarterback pressures (sacks, hits and hurries) over just 191 pass-rushing snaps." (PFF)

Clay Matthews: "Let's be honest. Mike's a freak. Most 300-pound guys aren't going to have an athletic frame like him. Now he moves as well as me or anyone who's an outside linebacker who's 240 to 260, and he's that much bigger." (JS Online)

Watch him chase down Alfred Morris and talk about how Matthews has helped him with the transition to outside linebacker: http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers-Live-Mike-Neal/2ca17f1e-4174-4d40-8e7c-ec6515a98cdf
Fantastically useful information here. I just picked him up in my leagues on ESPN where he's classified as a DE. Thank you.

He's a DL in my league. Trying to pick him up but not sure who to drop, only have 2 viable choices and need one this week. Ugh hate this game.

I watched the game and Neal didn't seem to be on the field much, and when he was, he missed a couple of tackles, although he did have a pressure or two.

The D played way better than expected with all the injuries. He was moved to DE on obvious passing downs. He was worth a roll of the dice but came up snake eyes because of the game script.

The D played way better than expected with all the injuries. He was moved to DE on obvious passing downs. He was worth a roll of the dice but came up snake eyes because of the game script.
Nick Perry broke his foot in the game and could be out a while. In the meantime, Neal might be worth a "what the heck" flex spot in deep leagues. I'm not expecting huge numbers but he should see an increased snap count at least.

Users who are viewing this thread