What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mileage Tax (1 Viewer)

My point was they are tracking your movement already.

My issue with this would be much more with how it could be done than concerns that they knew how many miles I drove. 
I again don't think it's comparable to some tracking device in your car.  

I can pay a toll and then get off that road forever and not pay another toll for the duration of my trip.  They know I was on I-327 for one moment in time, ok.  

I absolutely do already via the exorbitant state and property taxes, some of the highest in the country gas tax and my federal income tax bracket.  It’s covered.  
Mayor Pete can't be blamed for your state taxes, I assume he's trying to fund federal infrastructure.  So yah, the federal taxes part.

Since you post in the PSF I'm going to assume you lean left (you can correct me but I'm just playing the odds) and its interesting to me that the mantra is so often in this forum and by the left about people paying their fair share.  Yet, when there is discussion of actually paying something that approximates usage of Federal resources way better than general tax rates...the response is I don't want to pay any more even though I use more.

Its not surprising, nobody really wants to pay more, but hard to think not hypocritical.  Typically this is where Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg are brought up and we should take from them because it's them that are not paying their fare share.  Personally I dont care about those two but its more the point that...its always somebody else.  Its the guy making $100k more, $200k more.  

Sorry, thats overally directed at you and if my memory serves you are a thoughtful poster, but the approach struck me.  Feel free to give me the middle finger along with any response.

I was referring to tax breaks to encourage buying an EV.

Because you have an EV though doesn’t mean you get to avoid taxes for road maintenance that have been established from gas tax.
So give a tax break to drive electric, but then add a tax via a different system to recover that tax revenue?

I again don't think it's comparable to some tracking device in your car.  

I can pay a toll and then get off that road forever and not pay another toll for the duration of my trip.  They know I was on I-327 for one moment in time, ok.  
Is your issue with this that they track you? If so, that’s fine.

Personally, I’d not have an issue with the government knowing my mileage driven. Car insurance companies do this, my cell phone tracks me everywhere. There are traffic cameras everywhere. Not something I’m concerned with.

If this is the way they would be doing this though it seems more impractical to me.

Why don't you want to pay your fair share for usage of our infrastructure?
This is an absurd take.  

We already pay a lot of money in taxes.  None of that pays any of my fair share of the roads I drive on?  No one has been contributing to their road usage bill for 250 years? 

The government has decided we don't pay enough.  Because we keep spending money on lots of things.  And so now here's another way to get me to pay even more for the roads I've already been paying to use.

Mayor Pete can't be blamed for your state taxes, I assume he's trying to fund federal infrastructure.  So yah, the federal taxes part.

Since you post in the PSF I'm going to assume you lean left (you can correct me but I'm just playing the odds) and its interesting to me that the mantra is so often in this forum and by the left about people paying their fair share.  Yet, when there is discussion of actually paying something that approximates usage of Federal resources way better than general tax rates...the response is I don't want to pay any more even though I use more.

Its not surprising, nobody really wants to pay more, but hard to think not hypocritical.  Typically this is where Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg are brought up and we should take from them because it's them that are not paying their fare share.  Personally I dont care about those two but its more the point that...its always somebody else.  Its the guy making $100k more, $200k more.  

Sorry, thats overally directed at you and if my memory serves you are a thoughtful poster, but the approach struck me.  Feel free to give me the middle finger along with any response.
No middle finger needed as if my memory serves me you’re a thoughtful poster as well, but your read of me is wrong.  I’m a independent and centrist.  I’m fiscally conservative and lean socially left.  
To me it’s not the core of having to pay more, I just believe we can spend our money far more wisely then we do now.  As a business operator in California for 25 years the inefficiency and waste of the government with our money is disgusting.   

Last edited by a moderator:
No middle finger needed as if my memory serves me your a thoughtful poster as well, but your read of me is wrong.  I’m a independent and centrist.  I’m fiscally conservative and lean socially left.  
To me it’s not the core of having to pay more, I just believe we can spend our money far more wisely then we do now.  As a business operator in California for 25 years the inefficiency and waste of the government with our money is disgusting.   
This.

i’m blown away by the notion that we just cut $1 trillion stimulus package and immediately turn around and start talking about how to tax the people more.

either the people need money and we don’t need more taxes right now, Or we can’t afford to be giving out a $1 trillion stimulus package.

But hey, when the hell have we held our government accountable anyways?

I would be OK with this if they showed me a roadmap to how this would end the federal deficit.

But this will just enable them to continue decades of frivolous spending rather than using my current tax dollars to fund the infrastructure projects they were intended to.

we haven’t been under paying in taxes. They have been spending the money on everything but infrastructure.

people act like they don’t see what the big deal is when New York gets a bridge to Canada or Pelosi gets a tunnel to wherever, but now I’m supposed to pay taxes for driving, when my federal tax dollars went to all the little pork projects?

supermike80 said:
It involves tracking.  Which makes people all whiny
The DMV already tracks mileage in many states, so it wouldn't be too difficult to impose the tax whenever the car's registration is renewed.

The DMV already tracks mileage in many states, so it wouldn't be too difficult to impose the tax whenever the car's registration is renewed.
I actually think it would be much more difficult to track it January 1st To December 31 every year then it would birthday month birthday month.

I actually think it would be much more difficult to track it January 1st To December 31 every year then it would birthday month birthday month.
As if turning a year older couldn't get ####tyier....here's your mileage tax yah old *******!

I would be OK with this if they showed me a roadmap to how this would end the federal deficit.

But this will just enable them to continue decades of frivolous spending rather than using my current tax dollars to fund the infrastructure projects they were intended to.

we haven’t been under paying in taxes. They have been spending the money on everything but infrastructure.

people act like they don’t see what the big deal is when New York gets a bridge to Canada or Pelosi gets a tunnel to wherever, but now I’m supposed to pay taxes for driving, when my federal tax dollars went to all the little pork projects?
Exactly.  It would just somehow be reappointed to the industrial military complex via another increase to the military budget for more tanks and helicopters that aren’t being asked for or needed.  

Exactly.  It would just somehow be reappointed to the industrial military complex via the military budget for more tanks and helicopters that aren’t being asked for or needed.  
Not needed? Huh?

Republicans and Democrats agree that the U.S. is in dire need of a major infrastructure overhaul, and at the very least, that Congress should authorize significant repairs to roads and bridges.

The country’s overall infrastructure needs over the next 10 years total nearly $6 trillion, according to a report published earlier in March by the American Society of Civil Engineers. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/build-america-bonds-may-be-key-to-financing-bidens-infrastructure-plans.html

Not needed? Huh?

Republicans and Democrats agree that the U.S. is in dire need of a major infrastructure overhaul, and at the very least, that Congress should authorize significant repairs to roads and bridges.

The country’s overall infrastructure needs over the next 10 years total nearly $6 trillion, according to a report published earlier in March by the American Society of Civil Engineers. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/build-america-bonds-may-be-key-to-financing-bidens-infrastructure-plans.html
Please re-read my post.  I think you’re a bit confused on what I said was not needed. 

Please re-read my post.  I think you’re a bit confused on what I said was not needed. 
Well then please read the linked article...you may be a bit confused as to what the proposal is...the mileage tax would be used as a revenue source to subsidize interest on municipal infrastructure projects...not a general federal tax that goes to fund the military or pay down the national debt.

Well then please read the linked article...you may be a bit confused as to what the proposal is...the mileage tax would be used as a revenue source to subsidize interest on municipal infrastructure projects...not a general federal tax that goes to fund the military or pay down the national debt.
I get it.  Was being hyperbolic and making a broader statement on government spending.   

This is an absurd take.  

We already pay a lot of money in taxes.  None of that pays any of my fair share of the roads I drive on?  No one has been contributing to their road usage bill for 250 years? 

The government has decided we don't pay enough.  Because we keep spending money on lots of things.  And so now here's another way to get me to pay even more for the roads I've already been paying to use.
Work with me here.  I’m not saying I want to pay more in taxes or that the government spends effectively.  In fact a big no to both.

What I’m saying is that IF we are going to raise taxes why not take an opportunity to align it with usage of governmental resources.

Work with me here.  I’m not saying I want to pay more in taxes or that the government spends effectively.  In fact a big no to both.

What I’m saying is that IF we are going to raise taxes why not take an opportunity to align it with usage of governmental resources.
It’s a fair point, one that could also be made about doing the same for climate change initiatives or investments in alternative sources of energy.   This one will go over about as well as those do.  

“At least if they’re going to raise taxes, they’re actually going to spend it on what they’re supposed to this time.”

Republicans and Dems have hemorrhaged money for decades.  And my tax dollars that were supposed to be for infrastructure weren’t use for that.

So now they’re going to create a new tax.  And you feel better that they’re designating it for what the taxes were already supposed to pay for?

supermike80 said:
This isn't relevant to the topic but sure
It most certainly is relevant. Or at the very least it should be. We need to look at transit holistically and not pit drivers against cyclists against transit riders. It needs to be a comprehensive system which includes taxes

It most certainly is relevant. Or at the very least it should be. We need to look at transit holistically and not pit drivers against cyclists against transit riders. It needs to be a comprehensive system which includes taxes
Nah. Just tax the gas guzzlers.  Use the money generated on anything but expanding highway capacity. 

the moops said:
So long as they use the money to properly fund transit and walking/biking initiatives. We should try and reduce miles driven as much as possible but unless the alternatives are viable I don't blame folks for their gas guzzling choices. 
In Washington we are prohibited by a state constitutional amendment from using the gas tax for anything but "highway purposes" 

So we end up in this negative feedback loop with transit and multimodal starved for dollars and more lane miles making more traffic. 

Because of that I'm all in on a VMT

And the more wealthy people are the more miles they put on a car in general. People who drive are generally more wealthy than people who don't. 

This isn't a regressive tax 

And the more wealthy people are the more miles they put on a car in general. People who drive are generally more wealthy than people who don't. 

This isn't a regressive tax 
It is regressive because the rate is the same (kind of like Bill Gates having the same tax rate as you, although he pays more taxes because he earns more) and that even though the rich drive more the tax is disproportionally small relative to their total income.

Link

Bucsfan5493 said:
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1375448566865485833?s=21

What are people’s thoughts on this?

I honestly am not too educated on this topic but at first glance it’s not something I think I’d support at the moment. As much as I would love to encourage more people to use public transportation, I don’t believe our infrastructure is anywhere good enough yet to install a tax like this. Seems too many low income people who travel far for work because they can’t afford where their office is would be negatively effected by this with our current infrastructure.
So anyone outside the northeast is screwed.  Dead on arrival.

It is regressive because the rate is the same (kind of like Bill Gates having the same tax rate as you, although he pays more taxes because he earns more) and that even though the rich drive more the tax is disproportionally small relative to their total income.

Link
Now imagine miles driven and mode choice are things we can measure by income. 

https://nhts.ornl.gov/tables09/fatcat/2009/vmt_HHFAMINC.html

https://www.bts.gov/archive/publications/special_reports_and_issue_briefs/special_report/2007_10_03/table_01

https://www.bts.gov/archive/publications/special_reports_and_issue_briefs/special_report/2007_10_03/figure_02

There's a lot of good datapoints in here and I understand the correlation you are drawing but I don't think they change that its still regressive.  One thing I'd note is that poor households are much more likely to have one individual (not married) while wealthy more likely to have at least two individuals (married).

I certainly don't want an additional tax for how much I drive.  I sure as hell don't want the government tracking my driving habits.  I don't know how they would do it. 

Will it raise money for infrastructure? Of course.  

Will it massively push people towards public transit?  I don't know that it will.  Places like New York and Chicago--a lot of people already utilize those services.  Me in Kentucky--not a lot of public transportation floating around.  Maybe people are more inclined to fly to their vacation rather than drive.  

A lot of talk has been about how Americans are struggling and how we need to get money into their hands to stimulate the economy.  I'm not sure why we're cutting 1400$ checks to "help them" and then creating more taxes right after that.  Does.  Not.  Compute.
All very fair points. The bolded is why I don’t see a tax like this working any time soon. Our current infrastructure would need to be much better throughout the country for this to make any sense right now IMO. 

I do think it could push more towards giving public transportation. I’m in Atlanta and it is very underutilized by people in the suburbs. People would rather wake up at insane hours or sit in hours of traffic every week (and traffic is INSANE in Atlanta) instead of take the train. Blows my mind but if it started hitting their pocket books too, I think some might switch up.

The easiest way to tax milage would be to pay for 12K miles or whatever when you get your plates from the DMV, then adjust every year.

All very fair points. The bolded is why I don’t see a tax like this working any time soon. Our current infrastructure would need to be much better throughout the country for this to make any sense right now IMO. 

I do think it could push more towards giving public transportation. I’m in Atlanta and it is very underutilized by people in the suburbs. People would rather wake up at insane hours or sit in hours of traffic every week (and traffic is INSANE in Atlanta) instead of take the train. Blows my mind but if it started hitting their pocket books too, I think some might switch up.
Part of the problem with Atlanta suburb trains is that the commuter networks flowing from the stops are not strong and most people are not commuting to atl city....suburb jobs are plentiful.  Unlike for example Long Island Railroad that drops you off in Manhattan which is where the abundance of travelers is going.

Here's another thought:

A lot of people are arguing that you should pay for YOUR SHARE of the roads and infrastructure.

I do 99.99999999999999999% of my driving in Kentucky.  I think most people are similar to me and do most of their driving in the state they live in.  

Of course we visit other states for fun, go on vacation, some people work in other states, conferences, etc.  But I'm guessing 99% of the country does 99% of their driving in 1 state.  

If we need to tax for infrastructure--why is this a federal level thing?  Why don't I pay taxes to Kentucky to fix Kentucky roads?  The rare time I enter Tennessee or Illinois probably doesn't contribute majorly to the wear and tear on their roads.  Do I need to pay federal taxes so that California roads get fixed? 

IvanKaramazov said:
I wouldn't mind this if it were in addition to the gas tax, not a replacement of the gas tax.  We should be taxing gasoline regardless because it's a major source of carbon emissions and we need people to face the correct incentives to weigh fuel efficiency in their purchase decisions.  Switching to a mileage tax is bad environmental policy.
I agree with this, and I drive a truck. I actually think we need to raise the gas tax

Because it doesnt actually align.

Here's another thought:

A lot of people are arguing that you should pay for YOUR SHARE of the roads and infrastructure.

I do 99.99999999999999999% of my driving in Kentucky.  I think most people are similar to me and do most of their driving in the state they live in.  

Of course we visit other states for fun, go on vacation, some people work in other states, conferences, etc.  But I'm guessing 99% of the country does 99% of their driving in 1 state.  

If we need to tax for infrastructure--why is this a federal level thing?  Why don't I pay taxes to Kentucky to fix Kentucky roads?  The rare time I enter Tennessee or Illinois probably doesn't contribute majorly to the wear and tear on their roads.  Do I need to pay federal taxes so that California roads get fixed? 
Kentucky is a welfare state dependent on the federal government. Next time you meet someone from California thank them for building your roads.

https://www.wkyufm.org/post/kentucky-second-most-dependent-state-federal-money#stream/0

So here's the thing. As a country we've built way more roads than we can afford to maintain with the tax revenues and sources we have. And we've done it all relatively recently, so the big costs haven't come due yet. The state DOT where I live has a $700 million annual maintenance shortfall. Basically we are going 3/4 of a billion dollars backward *every* year. And that's just state highways. (PS, we're still spending billions expanding them because we're idiots) The city I live in estimates that it will take about $130 million just to get our city owned roads up to acceptable status. My city makes up just under .6% of the state's population. 

Either we're all going to have to pay a lot more money, we're going to have to let a lot of roads go back to gravel, or we're going to have to find a way to get around we can afford long-term. 

My take? If a VMT funds transit and multimodal I am 100% all for it. Because that's the only direction we can afford to go in. If it funds maintenance I'm meh. If it funds new roads I'm completely against it, because then we're just throwing money on the pile to burn because we already can't afford to maintain what we have. 

There's a lot of good datapoints in here and I understand the correlation you are drawing but I don't think they change that its still regressive.  One thing I'd note is that poor households are much more likely to have one individual (not married) while wealthy more likely to have at least two individuals (married).
You sound like you're from my local LD. :) Just because inside of a certain segment that gets taxed there is a piece that is regressive doesn't mean the tax is regressive. 

If you tax people who drive to fund transit, your tax is progressive overall, because wealthier people drive than take transit, and the wealthier you are, the more you drive. Even if someone who makes $45000 a year pays .03% more of their income in tax than someone who makes $55000 a year. 

Also, almost every single tax that we have is regressive but to different extents, so let's look at how progressive/regressive taxes are compared to the other options that are available to fund the service.

It's a spectrum and we should do the right thing. Not just say "nope, there is some component to this that is regressive so we should not do it" - because that's just an argument against taxing in general, done either by well-meaning liberals who don't understand how government works, or not well-meaning conservatives trying to use a liberal talking point without understanding what they're saying. 

Here's another thought:

This is a totally fair question, and yes it makes total sense that state and local governments should pay for state and local roads.  But that doesn't mean that there isn't an important reason for the federal government to provide funding for highways and similar major infrastructure.

As a resident of South Dakota, I spend very little time driving on California highways.  But almost nothing I buy was produced in South Dakota or anywhere near here.  Essentially 100% of my consumption of physical stuff (not streamed movies or video games or stuff like that) comes from other states or, more likely, was shipped to the US through a port city on a cost someplace.  That stuff has to be transported to a city that is about as far from an ocean as you can possibly get in North America.  It's not unreasonable to ask me to chip in to support interstate highways even if I'll never drive on most of them.

This is a totally fair question, and yes it makes total sense that state and local governments should pay for state and local roads.  But that doesn't mean that there isn't an important reason for the federal government to provide funding for highways and similar major infrastructure.

As a resident of South Dakota, I spend very little time driving on California highways.  But almost nothing I buy was produced in South Dakota or anywhere near here.  Essentially 100% of my consumption of physical stuff (not streamed movies or video games or stuff like that) comes from other states or, more likely, was shipped to the US through a port city on a cost someplace.  That stuff has to be transported to a city that is about as far from an ocean as you can possibly get in North America.  It's not unreasonable to ask me to chip in to support interstate highways even if I'll never drive on most of them.
So why shouldnt the people living in big cities taking the subway also contribute (a mileage tax leaves them out of paying their fair share)

So why shouldnt the people living in big cities taking the subway also contribute (a mileage tax leaves them out of paying their fair share)
Well, in theory, they probably should.  But it's hard to design a tax policy that perfectly taxes every single person at a rate exactly proportional to the benefits they receive.  So we're stuck with moderately clunky and imperfect mechanisms like mileage and gas taxes.

At some point, you just have to reconcile yourself to the fact that some people are going to pay more than their fair share of some taxes and less than their fair share of some other tax and hope that maybe it kind of balances out in the end.  

Well, in theory, they probably should.  But it's hard to design a tax policy that perfectly taxes every single person at a rate exactly proportional to the benefits they receive.  So we're stuck with moderately clunky and imperfect mechanisms like mileage and gas taxes.

At some point, you just have to reconcile yourself to the fact that some people are going to pay more than their fair share of some taxes and less than their fair share of some other tax and hope that maybe it kind of balances out in the end.  
I get accepting that no method is perfect. But that is exactly why we should oppose new methods. They wont be perfect and they will require new legislation, agencies, etc. Just increase existing methods. 

Nobody should be in favor of the resort fee model. 

Users who are viewing this thread