What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Military coup attempt in Turkey (2 Viewers)

Since Turkey is part of NATO, the US does have Nuclear warheads on Turkish soil. I am sure the US military has control of them

How ridiculous was the PM appearing on tv through FaceTime. Also I love his call for people to hit the streets and fight the military while he's trying to flee the country. 

I love his call for people to hit the streets and fight the military while he's trying to flee the country. 
'politicians hide themselves away/they only started the war/why should they go out to fight/they leave that role to the poor'

I've always wanted to visit there.  They are like the intersection of the world.  Such a historic and different place.
A buddy of mine loves Instanbul - for the very reasons you mention.  Says the people and city are great, wants (or wanted?) to go back....

I know people who have gone on those Italy, Greece, turkey cruises and come back raving about turkey more than the other two. 

In the thread about Nice we've spent the last 24 hours debating what to do about ISIS. What happens in Turkey will change everything about that struggle...

The best outcome for us would be for the coup to win quickly or for the President to crush them quickly. What we don't want is any kind of prolonged struggle. 

So was the chief of army that's been killed a PM appointed guy, was it a coup within the army itself or was he pro army and killed in the conflict?

WikiLeaks ‏@wikileaks 3m3 minutes ago
#TurkeyCoup: Key question: Are coup leaders the UK-US backed Gülen movement (https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09ANKARA1722_a.html…) or other actors backed by Russia?

:popcorn:

Erdowan was trying to change the Constitution to become a dictator. He has arrested most of his critics in the press. He opposes US interests in Syria and Iraq in that he has done everything to weaken the same Kurds we are trying to strengthen. He has supported Islamism. He is opposed to the secular Turkey in the tradition of Kemal Ataturk. 

And yet, it appears that we must support him because the alternatives, especially a Turkish civil war, would be worse for us. 

Users who are viewing this thread