What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (2 Viewers)

If AZ is good with the two-pick offer from MIN, any theory as to why that hasn't already happened?
No way AZ trades pick 4 for 11 and 23. They have 6 picks in the first 90 selections. They have enough quality picks. They need blue chip talent. They need a receiver bad and probably wouldn't get one of the top three at 11. I think they are gonna stay at 4 and pick Harrison. The Chargers seem more likely to be open for business but they need a WR bad as well. I wonder if the Vikes have a deal in place for if a certain QB falls to 3 but the Patriots don't want him. It may take the Vikings trading up to 7 first and then making the move to 5,4 or 3. I'm having a hard time thinking that the Vikings, Broncos or Raiders will mortgage the future for the 4th QB unless they view him as QB 1 or 2. It would have to be a QB who they felt confident would be the guy for the next 10-15 years. He would have to put these teams into the club with the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Texans, Ravens etc. I don't see any of these guy's like that except possibly Caleb.

If AZ is good with the two-pick offer from MIN, any theory as to why that hasn't already happened?
No way AZ trades pick 4 for 11 and 23. They have 6 picks in the first 90 selections. They have enough quality picks. They need blue chip talent. They need a receiver bad and probably wouldn't get one of the top three at 11. I think they are gonna stay at 4 and pick Harrison. The Chargers seem more likely to be open for business but they need a WR bad as well. I wonder if the Vikes have a deal in place for if a certain QB falls to 3 but the Patriots don't want him. It may take the Vikings trading up to 7 first and then making the move to 5,4 or 3. I'm having a hard time thinking that the Vikings, Broncos or Raiders will mortgage the future for the 4th QB unless they view him as QB 1 or 2. It would have to be a QB who they felt confident would be the guy for the next 10-15 years. He would have to put these teams into the club with the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Texans, Ravens etc. I don't see any of these guy's like that except possibly Caleb.
Honestly, I think the 11, 23 and the 2025 1st is what its gonna take to move up. Draft value chart is meaningless when the team trading down is passing on a blue chipper like Harrison or Nabers.

I think there is a decent shot the Vikings end up having to stay at #11, and just taking Nix or Penix. Hell, they've surely done their due diligence on both, they might have them ahead of McCarthy for all we know.

Personally, I think the dropoff is after Maye (and Caleb) so I'd stay put unless Daniels goes #2, and even then, is Maye worth 3 1sts? The Patriots are absolutely a team that should trade down in my opinion, as they need a complete overhaul post Belichick, but will they feel that way?

I think its very possible the asking price to move up into the top 5 is too high and teams with those picks do just take the player they believe in.

Other teams besides the Vikings will try to move up but in a bidding war the Vikings can likely win most offers with their 2 first round picks in a package with other things. If those things are an extra 1st to 3rd round pick I don't know.

So maybe it is 3 QB with the 1st 3 picks. Arizona takes WR then we are getting to a price point at pick 5 where the Chargers or a team after them will take the 2 first round picks for theirs and if the Vikings or another team believes in one of the 3 QB left a deal happens there.

Eta - if the Vikings pay 3 first round picks that should get them to pick 2 or 3. The price not as high as that for pick 5 or later.

Thought of the day. The ballsy move in this draft isn't trading up to one of the consensus top 4 QB. The ballsy move is trusting your scouting and waiting for getting value for the pick. Just feel like so much hype at the top of the draft, the supposed 3rd tier QBs are not even getting any media hype.

Denver and the Giants look like places were rookie QBs could usurp the starters.
Trusting your scouting? This staff????? They've drafted like one starter so far.
To be fair. The one starter they did draft was the one time Qwesi listened to his staff. After they begged him to take Addison when he wanted to trade down.

Otherwise he listens to analytics and nothing else to draft players. Results be damned, the numbers say this us my guy.

What is your ideal plan B for the Vikings if the price is too steep to trade up?

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

Not really sure I want to invest in a questionable starter. I do like Pratt but I wouldn’t reach for him. Rather see them look to 2025 even if it looks like a sub par year In the QB department.

What is your ideal plan B for the Vikings if the price is too steep to trade up?

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

Not really sure I want to invest in a questionable starter. I do like Pratt but I wouldn’t reach for him. Rather see them look to 2025 even if it looks like a sub par year In the QB department.
Yeah I'm with you - just take best players available that fit positional needs at those spots. Not sure I agree with you regarding the players you proposed, but I'm in support of not overpaying for a QB. I suppose I don't hate the idea of Penix at 1.23 but I don't want him at 1.11.

I frankly think there's a reasonable chance McCarthy is there at 1.11.
I was with you too but maybe I going to far down the rabbit hole but this has me thinking:
[Spotrac] A $23M injury guarantee on Daniel Jones' 2025 salary means: 1) They cannot release him right now 2) It's a risk to play him too much in 2024 This (among other reasons) is why Drew Lock has been signed with intent to compete for the QB1 role.
That has to be extra motivation for the Giants. Is it enough motivation to pass on a blue chip wide receiver or OT?

Reactions: Zow
I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. I’m fine with risks and even failure as long as it conclusively answers whether the Vikes have a GM problem.

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

I agree with something like that - Maye and Williams were the only "top QBs" going into this season - never know how things will shake out...

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

I agree with something like that - Maye and Williams were the only "top QBs" going into this season - never know how things will shake out...
Even if this is true, I kind of don't think it is, but things change. Daniels may be the best QB of them all.

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

Even if this is true, I kind of don't think it is, but things change. Daniels may be the best QB of them all.
Exactly...and nobody even had him on their first round radar before the year started...

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

Yeah I'm with you - just take best players available that fit positional needs at those spots. Not sure I agree with you regarding the players you proposed, but I'm in support of not overpaying for a QB. I suppose I don't hate the idea of Penix at 1.23 but I don't want him at 1.11.
I think Penix or Nix seem like decent chances to take at 23 but I doubt either make it there. I could be wrong but I think it might be an on the clock decision on whether to pull the trigger on one of them at 11 or not based on how things have played out up to that point. i don't see a big difference in 11 or 23 when it comes to the chance of missing out on a QB altogether this year.

While I am not sold on any of the QB in the draft I do think they have enough chance to be serviceable to above average QB's that it is worth the risk this year. I don't want to overpay to move up and I am not sure I want to move up at all as all the guys have warts. I may be just fine with letting other's make the decision for me and hope they are wrong. It happens all the time.

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

Exactly...and nobody even had him on their first round radar before the year started...
Kwesi has said they have been looking at this draft class for several seasons now.

All of the teams do.

So where he was touted by Media and so on prior to last season is not the same as teams valuation of these players.

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

I think Penix or Nix seem like decent chances to take at 23 but I doubt either make it there. I could be wrong but I think it might be an on the clock decision on whether to pull the trigger on one of them at 11 or not based on how things have played out up to that point. i don't see a big difference in 11 or 23 when it comes to the chance of missing out on a QB altogether this year.

While I am not sold on any of the QB in the draft I do think they have enough chance to be serviceable to above average QB's that it is worth the risk this year. I don't want to overpay to move up and I am not sure I want to move up at all as all the guys have warts. I may be just fine with letting other's make the decision for me and hope they are wrong. It happens all the time.
Definitely agree with your second paragraph. In short, I just don't want us to mortgage the future for anybody short of Caleb Williams. I like Maye the best of the next three, but I still don't think he's worth both firsts this year and a first plus a second for next year.

In my head, I actually have what I believe to be a clear top 11 so I'd hate to see the Vikings go Penix or Nix at 1.11. But, obviously four of those are receiving players and those aren't positions of need for us, so I probably need to adjust my thinking for the Vikings at 1.11. Still, I think I'd rather have them take their top o-line choice or best defender there and see if Penix falls to 1.23 (which is more in line with his value).

Getting interesting now. Next 3 don't need QB (Ten, Atlanta, Bears)..
So, does someone trade up to get in front of Vikings, or do they get lucky to stick at 11 and get to pick 1 of the next top 3 Qb's left?
:popcorn:

Getting interesting now. Next 3 don't need QB (Ten, Atlanta, Bears)..
So, does someone trade up to get in front of Vikings, or do they get lucky to stick at 11 and get to pick 1 of the next top 3 Qb's left?
:popcorn:
Woah... Did NOT see Atlanta going QB after $180 million 4 year Kirk deal..
:unsure:

Horrible situation for fantasy purposes for Jefferson and Hock
I think they will be just fine. While I'm not a fan of Donald, I think with Jefferson, Hock, Addison, he'll be OK until JJ takes over mid-season, if not before.
I'm a lot more :excited: then I was the past 5 months.

I am perfectly happy with Vikings draft and understand Kwesi "no regrets" strategy . But I am old schooled enough to agree with John Harbaugh when he describes offensive lineman as weapons. I want to Vikings to address C and DT sometime.

I do think the Vikings have been protecting the 108 like the 23 in this years draft. I think they have someone specifically in mind for that pick. John Sullivan was a 6th round guy so maybe they can lucky again.

I am perfectly happy with Vikings draft and understand Kwesi "no regrets" strategy . But I am old schooled enough to agree with John Harbaugh when he describes offensive lineman as weapons. I want to Vikings to address C and DT sometime.

I do think the Vikings have been protecting the 108 like the 23 in this years draft. I think they have someone specifically in mind for that pick. John Sullivan was a 6th round guy so maybe they can lucky again.
Seemed to have depleted future draft capital quite a bit, but at least they didn’t trade their 2025 1st…….yet.

Mine:
11 - Quinyon Mitchell
23 - Jer’zhan Newton.

Maybe some teams did. We just didn't know that until he went off.

:goodposting:

Totally agree there are other trenches roles that need to be improved if this team wants to be successful (and BTW, not wreck a rookie QB). JMHO, resolving QB on a rookie contract is a big imperative for this team to begin viewing use of cap/FA to fill voids. That would have been more challenging if all QBs had been sniped and they needed to invest more into QB (assuming Darnold/Mullins was not going to be the answer). I also heard on the draft show last night that the cap situation will significantly improve in 2025 with dead money rolled off, and increased FA abilities will mitigate lack of picks.

Yeah the Vikings don't have many picks to work with for the next 2 years.

That is ok.
Agree. They will have a billion dollars of cap space to fill holes in free agency. Plus a pick or two of comp picks, maybe something from the Atlanta debacle and possibly a trade down in the first next year.

So with the Atlanta/Cousins tampering fiasco, can the Vikings benefit in any way from that?
Seems unlikely. It's not as bad as the times they did award the other team a pick.

Anything is possible though.

I think Kirk is just dumb sometimes which shouldn't surprise anyone.

I really like what they did positionally (not that I know too much about the prospects themselves), although it would have been nice to add a WR but they just didn't have the picks (and I'm happy they moved some of the mid round picks to acquire Turner).

Very happy about adding Gabriel Murphy as an UDFA!

it would have been nice to add a WR but they just didn't have the picks
:goodposting:

For a class so deep at WR, frustrating they all went for premium picks. Oh well, there will be vets who come available.

I can’t fault anything on the draft, including whatever 2025 picks it cost maneuvering in the 1st. To potentially be under rookie contracts at premium QB/EDGE positions can be huge.

Vikings are a little light on running back depth and it not a position that I would have targeted in the draft. That said, I would be definitely targeting guys that teams will be trying to sneak onto the practice squad in late August. Any Aaron Jones clones on the roster bubble.

Vikings are a little light on running back depth and it not a position that I would have targeted in the draft. That said, I would be definitely targeting guys that teams will be trying to sneak onto the practice squad in late August. Any Aaron Jones clones on the roster bubble.
Did they sign any UDFA RBs?

Users who are viewing this thread