What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miss America- Scrapping swimsuit competition, no longer judging on looks (1 Viewer)

Why is #metoo even being brought up in this thread?   What do yoga pants and bikinis have anything remotely to do with women abusers?   I have a hard time figuring out what freaking planet we live on when the amount of clothing someone wears is somehow compared to or made responsible for abuse.

why can't they all win?  then they can take turns throughout the year making special appearances at Whole Foods grand openings.

also, what about all the girls that didn't win at the state and local level? what can we do for them? 

“I’m tired of these PC snowflakes and their sensitivity” say a bunch of guys who have now filled four pages of a thread whining like crazy about maybe the least consequential thing imaginable.

Last edited by a moderator:
“I’m tired of these PC snowflakes and their sensitivity” say a bunch of guys who have now filled four pages of a thread whining like crazy about maybe the least consequential thing imaginable.
I'm not really sure I care about either sex or violence at my age. I've sort of tuned out from it all. Don't get invested in much, not even politics. 

Heck, you might even say I've been lobotimized or dead. But I can't give two ####s about this. I agree with BB, by the way. The disgusting violence in movies and video games is something we will be judged on, and it won't be kindly. Neither, then again, will the sexual acts that are so readily available to be viewed as anything but licentious. 

By the way @Doug Bwas making serious points up in here, and I tend to agree with him. Historicism is a tough way to judge people; progress lurches in democracy, not always for the best. Progress lurches under all forms of government actually, and then sometimes the absurdity of their conclusions is the guillotine for too many. 

Anyway, a nice Burkean sentiment on a board that needs more of that.  

erta* Tobias's point is totally legit, too. It's really how you read it and what your disposition is.  

Back on the "what might we look at 50 years from now and wonder how we thought it was ok in 2018 to do" thing. I asked my family this question at dinner tonight. One of my kids said "people eating animals". As we were eating grilled chicken. I'm not sure what that says about my BBQ skills...

What fascinates me about this decision is that it addresses the concerns of the far conservative right (sexual indecency) and the liberal left (objectifying women) at the same time. I wonder if they realize the irony.

What fascinates me about this decision is that it addresses the concerns of the conservative right (sexual indecency) and the liberal left (objectifying women) at the same time. I wonder if they realize the irony.
Allan Bloom wrote in the eighties that they were natural friends on this issue, but "see how they do on abortion!"

I think that's a direct quote from him.  It's from The Closing Of The American Mind.  

What fascinates me about this decision is that it addresses the concerns of the conservative right (sexual indecency) and the liberal left (objectifying women) at the same time. I wonder if they realize the irony.
Those conservatives would be stuck in the 1950's and those liberals would not understand the definition of objectification.

Back on the "what might we look at 50 years from now and wonder how we thought it was ok in 2018 to do" thing. I asked my family this question at dinner tonight. One of my kids said "people eating animals". As we were eating grilled chicken. I'm not sure what that says about my BBQ skills...
I've had long debates in my own head about this, and I'm pretty sure the side that's winning is not being enacted on my end. I still eat meat. Your BBQ skills are probably intact and doing just fine; it's likely an ethical question from your son. But you know that. It's such a difficult question.  

I've had long debates in my own head about this, and I'm pretty sure the side that's winning is not being enacted on my end. I still eat meat. Your BBQ skills are probably intact and doing just fine; it's likely an ethical question from your son. But you know that. It's such a difficult question.  
Thanks Buddy. Just kidding about the BBQ skills. I hadn't thought of that one until he said it but I can see how it might come to pass. Especially if the Beyond Meat stuff continues to advance. We'll see I guess. 

The reason I asked about wondering if people in the 1950's felt a little bad about segregation and discrimination is I wonder if there are things we won't do 50 years from now that we today feel a little bad about. It's a known thing I love BBQ but I can't deny a slaughterhouse feels pretty messed up. I could envision something like that happening where we don't eat animals. Or at least it's very different from now. It'll be interesting to watch. 

Thanks Buddy. Just kidding about the BBQ skills. I hadn't thought of that one until he said it but I can see how it might come to pass. Especially if the Beyond Meat stuff continues to advance. We'll see I guess. 

The reason I asked about wondering if people in the 1950's felt a little bad about segregation and discrimination is I wonder if there are things we won't do 50 years from now that we today feel a little bad about. It's a known thing I love BBQ but I can't deny a slaughterhouse feels pretty messed up. I could envision something like that happening where we don't eat animals. Or at least it's very different from now. It'll be interesting to watch. 
It can be called the #memoo movement

Read about Memphis meats, there’s a whole new field of laboratory made ethical meat which may become more the norm

do uou have any misgivings about promoting football knowing now about the long term detrimental effect this has on players?

if you haven’t, I suggest you check out the Malcom gladwell podcast before last which makes a compelling case for football today being akin to those who denied the links of smoking to lung cancer in the 60s and 70s and 80s

Yeah, I think I got where you were going -- actually, totally did. I think Doug and Tobias were having a great debate about it earlier in the thread. Historicism vs. Modern progressivism, as it were. They were articulating two very broad points, and excellently, and that point of the debate is getting back on track.

Or at least I think  :thumbup:

How does your son feel about other animals eating animals (usually while the one being consumed is still alive)?

We evolved to eat meat, how people get that meat (Hopefully more ethically than factory farming) will be what changes imo.

Read about Memphis meats, there’s a whole new field of laboratory made ethical meat which may become more the norm

do uou have any misgivings about promoting football knowing now about the long term detrimental effect this has on players?
Yes @Smack Tripper - I think the Memphis Meats and Beyond Meats and the like will make an impact. I haven't tasted them but I've read great things. I liken it sort of to products made in America. All things being equal, most people prefer American made products. They just feel better about them. But they have to be just as good as the foreign product and cost about the same. I think given a choice of two burgers that taste the same, one plant based and one from a cow, people would choose the plant based. But it has taste as good as the beef burger and it has to cost about the same. When they get there, I think that'll be the tipping point.

For Football, I definitely have concerns about the game. I don't want the sport to become a "gladiator" thing where only the poorest kids play throwing health to the wind. That's why I don't mind at all the more strict safety concerns. And I push back when the people yell about how it's "ruining the game" when they do things that make it safer. 

We evolved to eat meat, how people get that meat (Hopefully more ethically than factory farming) will be what changes imo.

I think you could well be right there. It's interesting to me as it seemed like Chipotle was making big inroads there against the factory farm stuff before they had all their trouble. It felt like there as momentum there that got stalled. 

People say "Idiocracy" was prescient, but I think "Demolition Man" was more so. That's right, the future was foretold by a Stallone/Snipes/Leary film. Let that marinate. 

P. S. Jimmy crack corn and I don't care... /costanza

Slaughtering intelligent beings for meat. 

Churches/religion

Any sport that results in head injuries (combat sports/football) 

Smoking anything

Prohibition of "drugs" that grow free in nature

Non-renewable energy sources/destructive emissions

Bullying

Racism/Jingoism

Climate change denial

Five Finger Death Punch

Just off the top of my head, these are things that are going to age very badly. Whoever you are, person or AI presence that is bumping this post in 2186...that's right. The doofus that posted stories about getting drunk and crapping his pants was the soothsayer. 

@Joe Bryant

By 2070, I think we will see massive social media reform. In 50 years, Id like to think that trolls, bots, anonymous bullies, internet vigilantes, and blatant propaganda will give way to more civil dialog and information sharing. People will look back to todays use of open networks such as Twitter and Facebook as the 'Wild West' of Digital Media - with no morals or agreed upon standards of behavior.

Even today, people are sick of internet vitriol but we simply lack an agreed upon manner to tackle the issue. It will be interesting to see how the solution manifests itself- whether the laws of free speech change, or if society in general begins to create a more accepted internet  'etiquette' and holds others accountable for breaching those unwritten laws. Slippery slope? Absolutely. But I can't imagine social media continuing down its current trajectory.

While I prefer to not generalize groups of people, I do believe it's ok to call out a society that eats people as animals. 

@Joe Bryant

By 2070, I think we will see massive social media reform. In 50 years, Id like to think that trolls, bots, anonymous bullies, internet vigilantes, and blatant propaganda will give way to more civil dialog and information sharing. People will look back to todays use of open networks such as Twitter and Facebook as the 'Wild West' of Digital Media - with no morals or agreed upon standards of behavior.

Even today, people are sick of internet vitriol but we simply lack an agreed upon manner to tackle the issue. It will be interesting to see how the solution manifests itself- whether the laws of free speech change, or if society in general begins to create a more accepted internet  'etiquette' and holds others accountable for breaching those unwritten laws. Slippery slope? Absolutely. But I can't imagine social media continuing down its current trajectory.
It'll be interesting for sure. My fear is I don't see any real reason things will get more civil. But one can hope. 

It'll be interesting for sure. My fear is I don't see any real reason things will get more civil. But one can hope. 
I think there is a huge difference between being civil and becoming overwhelmingly PC.  In fact you could argue the crazy PC push (or whatever you want to call it) of the past 5ish years actually divides the country greater. 

For instance, if someone doesnt believe in gay marriage and doesnt think it is morally right then they shouldnt be ostracized for it.   Speaking in general terms here as I dont care who someone is with but maybe Joe sixpack in middle america feels strongly about it.

The girls in these have been competing in "beauty pageants" most of their lives. 

They can take out the swimsuit part if they want but let's not kid ourselves....they're not giving the title to a 300 lb ugly woman who aces the talent, personality, etc parts of the competition. 

The girls in these have been competing in "beauty pageants" most of their lives. 

They can take out the swimsuit part if they want but let's not kid ourselves....they're not giving the title to a 300 lb ugly woman who aces the talent, personality, etc parts of the competition. 
why should they?

Not sure how well Value Based Drafting will be seen in 50 years.  Could it get ugly? I can picture it.

BTW, if you want a beauty pageant, have a beauty pageant.  Just be ####### honest about it.  Don't ask about world peace and how you can make a difference. Don't pretend that its about poise and confidence and ability to be an independent woman.

Want a gown and swimsuit to check out how hot the chicks are and rate them accordingly? Go ahead. Nothing wrong with that in the right context. Hell, call it a wet t-shirt contest.  Just don't call it anything more than judging on looks and tell me it's about the whole package. When we all know it has never been that.
Quality post. 

(Seriously. Not snark)

Link to anyone expressing this as a thing of consequence or even personal relevance?  
You're kidding, right?  The majority of the complaints here characterize it as a thing of consequence.   "We're too PC nowadays," "the thought police at work again, "more evidence of liberal snowflakes ruining America," etc. 

Anyway, this is a story because conservative media can't use Barack Obama as a scare tactic to rile up old people in between ads for reverse mortgages and ED pills any more. So they turn to the two next best things- the Clintons (even though none occupy a position of power or will any time in the foreseeable future) and nostalgia. It's very unlikely that there are more stories like this than there used to be. Conservatives just hear about them more, because Fox knows they can't tell you about the actual news like how we all left thousands of Puerto Ricans to die in the aftermath of a storm and then the administration lied about it, or how we're tearing children away from their parents at the border for no reason, or how the president makes a mockery of the rule of law on a daily basis.  So ... swimsuits.  Obviously I'm as susceptible to it as anyone and take the bait, and I see that now.  My bad. Gotta do better.

Yep, that's a good one that I could definitely see happening, particularly as technology advances and we are able to synthesize highly nutritious and efficient foods that maximize scarce resources.

How does your son feel about other animals eating animals (usually while the one being consumed is still alive)?

My environmental indoctrination may be way out of date, but isn't meat, as a general matter, a highly inefficient source of calories in terms of maximizing the scarcity of worldwide resources?  As our world population continues to grow, I can definitely see a technological solution to the issue that largely replaces meat (or makes meat a delicacy that is frowned upon by a large majority of the population).  As was mentioned upthread, however, the replacement needs to taste good and be affordable.

As for more ethical treatment of animals raised for consumption, I suspect that actually decreases, rather than increases, efficiency, so I'll be curious to see how that plays out.  Perhaps it results in access to meat being more exclusive. 

My environmental indoctrination may be way out of date, but isn't meat, as a general matter, a highly inefficient source of calories in terms of maximizing the scarcity of worldwide resources?  As our world population continues to grow, I can definitely see a technological solution to the issue that largely replaces meat (or makes meat a delicacy that is frowned upon by a large majority of the population).  As was mentioned upthread, however, the replacement needs to taste good and be affordable.

As for more ethical treatment of animals raised for consumption, I suspect that actually decreases, rather than increases, efficiency, so I'll be curious to see how that plays out.  Perhaps it results in access to meat being more exclusive. 
I say we just create laws dictating who can reproduce and to what extent. The population then doesn't get out of hand, we all have plenty of meat to eat, and everyone is happy

When you say meat, do you mean beef? 

You're kidding, right?  The majority of the complaints here characterize it as a thing of consequence.   "We're too PC nowadays," "the thought police at work again, "more evidence of liberal snowflakes ruining America," etc. 

Anyway, this is a story because conservative media can't use Barack Obama as a scare tactic to rile up old people in between ads for reverse mortgages and ED pills any more. So they turn to the two next best things- the Clintons (even though none occupy a position of power or will any time in the foreseeable future) and nostalgia. It's very unlikely that there are more stories like this than there used to be. Conservatives just hear about them more, because Fox knows they can't tell you about the actual news like how we all left thousands of Puerto Ricans to die in the aftermath of a storm and then the administration lied about it, or how we're tearing children away from their parents at the border for no reason, or how the president makes a mockery of the rule of law on a daily basis.  So ... swimsuits.  Obviously I'm as susceptible to it as anyone and take the bait, and I see that now.  My bad. Gotta do better.
second verse same as the first

???? It made every network's national nightly news.  It's a national story.  Oh wait, it's just you and your false narratives again, carry on.

Certainly beef. I imagine the inefficiencies are reduced when it comes to chickens or goats, though I imagine even they are not resource neutral. 
Beef is the worst by far. It is pretty terrible for our environment. Chicken is like 8 times as efficient. Pork I think is twice as efficient. 

But if you really want to look at devastation...

Think about this. For every pound of beef you are buying at the grocery store that's about 50 pounds of manure. It is produced at a rate faster than it can be used. So it ends up in piles, pits, etc. This surplus is causing a massive increase in methane emissions. 

Chicken by contrast has about 3 pounds of waste produced per pound of edible meat. 

Users who are viewing this thread