What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB moves All-Star game in response to GA voter laws (3 Viewers)

As a businessman, how exactly is Delta for example going to put the economic hurt to Atlanta?  Give up their hub and doom themselves to bankruptcy?
Yeah I'm confused by Delta as well. It's not like they can move Atlanta out of GA. They need Georgia more than Georgia needs Delta no?

As for making it illegal to "give voters water" its a sad but true state of affairs that even something as small as a bottle of water could entice someone to vote. But I don't dobt it happens. 
No, it's a sad state of affairs that people will not leave anything on the table when it comes to discouraging people from voting.

I'm not disputing the existence of "Souls to the polls" programs. I'm just saying that if the raw voting stats show that Sunday voting demographics are similar to the demographics on other days of the week, then I wouldn't necessarily assume that the move is "racist".
My assumption, when you make voting more difficult, is that the reasons are nefarious.  If you want to prove me wrong - I am willing to listen.

The latest in let's make everything political. Does anyone care about the MLB all star game anyway?

Yet Kevin Durant to go full homophobic slurs and hardly a word being said compared to other athletes (including the NBA) who have been suspended.   
Just like letting Jackie Robinson and other non-whites play in the league, right? 

As a businessman, how exactly is Delta for example going to put the economic hurt to Atlanta?  Give up their hub and doom themselves to bankruptcy?
:shrug:

Delta has other hubs.

I would guess other communities could swing a tax package to lure Delta HQ, and the jobs that come with that.

I don't think Delta makes that move, personally.  Ditto Coke.  But, its an option.

thanks, as I said, I'm not up on the direct GA talking points. I see where you are going and can agree in part.

I will say that I am a pro-voter ID guy and this bill at least has a few options for "identifying" yourself, even up to just your SSN. 

As for making it illegal to "give voters water" its a sad but true state of affairs that even something as small as a bottle of water could entice someone to vote. But I don't dobt it happens. 
Nobody legitimately believes that anyone is changing their vote over a bottle of water.   That portion of the law is just purely to make it more difficult to stand in a long line.  

Seriously?

If there is a work stoppage - nobody will care about the previous all-star game.  It won't move the needle one inch - in terms of positive PR for or against the owners or the players.

Certainly it buys them some good will right now., but this will last about a week, and then again in July when the all-star game takes place.  But after that - it has zero goodwill value.

I couldn't even tell you now, if this is an owner-driven move, or a player-driven move. 
Tony Clark at the MLBPA is the one who initially brought this up.  I've met Tony, he's not a dumb guy and I respect him.  It's pretty easy to connect the dots here.  I don't even doubt that Tony may believe in this move.  I can tell you that the average member has no idea.  But at the end of the day Tony also knows he's getting ready to potentially look like a really bad guy.  Can you remember how Tom Glavine looked back in 1995?  Tom Glavine is one of the nicest, most personable guys you will ever meet.  For awhile though he had the public favorability rating of Saddam Hussein.  So yeah I seriously believe it because this story only first came up when Tony Clark issued a statement on it, that's just factually how it came about.  So my assumption is Tony Clark wanted it to be a story, otherwise he isn't going to come out and issue a statement before I heard anyone even suggest this move.

Yeah I'm confused by Delta as well. It's not like they can move Atlanta out of GA. They need Georgia more than Georgia needs Delta no?
They are major contributors to politicians and political groups.   They also do a ton of business that has nothing to do with landing and taking off out of the Atlanta airport.  You think they have no economic power over legislators?

Can you remember how Tom Glavine looked back in 1995?  Tom Glavine is one of the nicest, most personable guys you will ever meet.  For awhile though he had the public favorability rating of Saddam Hussein. 
I lived in Atlanta and was a season-ticket holder in 1995.  

I don't recall any point when he was "hated".  

But hey, be American! Be proud! Vote! *

*Unless you plan on voting for anyone other than a republican then we will do everything in our power to keep you from voting. 

Nobody legitimately believes that anyone is changing their vote over a bottle of water.   That portion of the law is just purely to make it more difficult to stand in a long line.  
Just as stupid as assuming people aren’t going to go to the polls because no one is going to give them a water 

I lived in Atlanta and was a season-ticket holder in 1995.  

I don't recall any point when he was "hated".  
https://www.lowellsun.com/2007/08/08/true-blue-union-man-won-back-respect-of-the-fans-2/

Here's an article on it linked above and an excerpt pasted below:

Glavine, Kasten, and Turner buried the tomahawk when the strike was settled. Braves fans were not nearly so understanding, and for most of the 1995 season they made Glavine’s life miserable. "Obviously, baseball players are well-paid, and people aren’t going to be very sympathetic to whatever it was we were trying to do," he remembered. "I took my share of the heat. But in the end you have to walk that delicate line of not making it personal, not trying to shove down people’s throats what you believe, but try to explain your position as a counterpoint to what the owners are trying to do and let people make up their own minds what is fair or unfair."

Just as stupid as assuming people aren’t going to go to the polls because no one is going to give them a water 
With the food and water - I don't think its people going to the polls, its keeping people in long-lines at polls.

Of course, if they made voting easier, and more efficient, long lines/delays would not be an issue in many jurisdictions.

I have a ticket deal with the Braves, it'll hurt my bottom line losing a few ASG tickets but after Covid and 2020 it's mostly a drop in the bucket business wise for me.  I'd already budgeted for the game to be moved when it first was discussed.  I don't have a lot of love for the Braves organization over some issues we've had along the way but nothing they can do about this one.  I don't really care what the residents of GA do, it's their call.  The funny thing is the city of Atlanta is what turned the state blue.  The largest impacts are on those communities.  MLB can virtue signal all they want but it'll impact the people and businesses in Atlanta more than anything else.  MLB and specifically the MLBPA want the media mob behind them before the labor strife that is about to come which always ends up in MLB losing fans.  Don't be fooled into thinking MLB or the MLBPA care about anything but themselves, that's all they ever have cared about.
The city of Atlanta and where Truist is located are completely different worlds.  I’m technically in Fulton Co and I’m a minimum of 45 minutes from downtown. 

https://www.lowellsun.com/2007/08/08/true-blue-union-man-won-back-respect-of-the-fans-2/

Here's an article on it linked above and an excerpt pasted below:

Glavine, Kasten, and Turner buried the tomahawk when the strike was settled. Braves fans were not nearly so understanding, and for most of the 1995 season they made Glavine’s life miserable. "Obviously, baseball players are well-paid, and people aren’t going to be very sympathetic to whatever it was we were trying to do," he remembered. "I took my share of the heat. But in the end you have to walk that delicate line of not making it personal, not trying to shove down people’s throats what you believe, but try to explain your position as a counterpoint to what the owners are trying to do and let people make up their own minds what is fair or unfair."

I was there in 1994 when Sid slid.

I was there throughout the 1995 season, including the WS.

The Braves were the hot ticket in town.  If there was hate on sports-radio (680 the Fan, if memory serves), it did not translate in the stadium.

The city of Atlanta and where Truist is located are completely different worlds.  I’m technically in Fulton Co and I’m a minimum of 45 minutes from downtown. 
Right, but the city is taking a large hit from it and a lot of the folks coming in for the game would be staying at the Marriott Marquis, Westin, Ritz.  There's a lot of economic fallout to go around.

Right, but the city is taking a large hit from it and a lot of the folks coming in for the game would be staying at the Marriott Marquis, Westin, Ritz.  There's a lot of economic fallout to go around.
Sure what I guess I’m saying though is the people that turned GA blue wouldn’t be the ones profiting off of this game... well, except maybe the strippers. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I was there in 1994 when Sid slid.

I was there throughout the 1995 season, including the WS.

The Braves were the hot ticket in town.  If there was hate on sports-radio (680 the Fan, if memory serves), it did not translate in the stadium.
I was there too, Glavine spoke to it himself, so I'm not sure what you know that Glavine himself doesn't.  He's not been quiet about it in recent years, he will speak about it on Braves broadcasts to this day.  To his credit he's never shied away from his role in that whole thing.

I remember when "voting with your dollars" was a thing too.  The only way to object to republican voter suppression is complete capitulation to whatever they command. 

If you're standing in line for 3 hours to vote, is it more or less likely that you'll wait to get to the front if you don't have food and water.   Don't be obtuse.
Obtuse lol

Is it correct that people that aren’t part of anyone’s campaign are allowed to hand out bottles of water just not within 150 feet of the poll door?

Obtuse lol

Is it correct that people that aren’t part of anyone’s campaign are allowed to hand out bottles of water just not within 150 feet of the poll door?
I believe this is correct.  We have laws here that force campaigns to stay back from poll doors.  I'm glad they have it here because otherwise I'd have Johnny Redneck's second cousin following me to the door telling me why he's the man for county commission.  They already set up in the parking lots at the edge of the polling places here.

Rep. Jeff Duncan

@RepJeffDuncan

In light of @MLB's stance to undermine election integrity laws, I have instructed my staff to begin drafting legislation to remove Major League Baseball's federal antitrust exception.

Delta has other hubs.

I would guess other communities could swing a tax package to lure Delta HQ, and the jobs that come with that.

I don't think Delta makes that move, personally.  Ditto Coke.  But, its an option.
It's not.   Last thing delta wants is Atlanta  Airport looking to take gates away from them and giving them to other carriers.    Delta doesn't exist  without Atlanta.

It's not.   Last thing delta wants is Atlanta  Airport looking to take gates away from them and giving them to other carriers.    Delta doesn't exist  without Atlanta.
Southwest has been itching to gain share in Atlanta for over 20 years.  If Delta pulled back they'd pounce.  There's a reason Delta closed Cincinnati down when it was time to streamline and not ATL.  Atlanta is Delta, Delta isn't the same company without it.  It's not even comparable to a Coca Cola even.  That has it's own high costs but at least would be possible for a Coca Cola.  But if Delta ceded Atlanta it would largely cease to exist.

A decent recap if anyone is interested.  Link

Regarding ID's, see below. Why requiring identification is not supported I'll never understand.

Under the new Georgia law, voters who do not have a state-issued ID card can also provide a copy of a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, or other government document that shows their name and address.

Personally as I said in the voter suppression thread the idea of allowing people providing handouts/interacting with voters on line is not a good idea.  Mixing potential partisans and voters on the day of an election, which now more than ever is a crazy emotional event...that is dumb.  Humans are dumb, why encourage combustible interactions.  I'm not sure if it made it in the final bill but there was supposedly a provision to add resources to reduce the time in lines, which should be done.

Rep. Jeff Duncan

@RepJeffDuncan

In light of @MLB's stance to undermine election integrity laws, I have instructed my staff to begin drafting legislation to remove Major League Baseball's federal antitrust exception.
GOP uses terms like ‘election integrity’ and ‘law and order’ in orwellian doublespeak.

Link

@WhitlockJason

I wish y'all would quit calling it "soft." It's freaking bigotry. Nothing soft about it. By calling it "soft," you create the impression that it's relatively harmless and well-intentioned.

@josh_hammer

The argument that voter ID requirements are somehow “racist” is, frankly, patently offensive. “The soft bigotry of low expectations…"

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta has other hubs.

Detroit would be happy to host Delta and are probably already feeling that out.

Minneapolis as well

This is obviously a much larger scale, but can someone explain to me how is this different when people refuse to shop at Walmart or Chickfila or when companies decide to build else where because of tax breaks or other laws?

I guess I don't see the big deal. If a person, company, or organization doesn't like your rules, laws or procedures you are free to take your business else where, aren't you?

I approve of the free market. This is how you change laws you don’t like: not through rioting, and not through the courts, but by economic pressure. Martin Luther King Jr first became famous when he led a boycott of the Montgomery busses. This is exactly what MLB should be doing. It’s great. 

This is obviously a much larger scale, but can someone explain to me how is this different when people refuse to shop at Walmart or Chickfila or when companies decide to build else where because of tax breaks or other laws?

I guess I don't see the big deal. If a person, company, or organization doesn't like your rules, laws or procedures you are free to take your business else where, aren't you?
Seems like you might be confusing “big deal” and illegal.

Something can be legal and still be a big deal?  

Wow. What a disgrace.  No MLB for me from now on.

Get woke - go broke.
Ahhhhh, so cancel culture is cool now?

I’ll be completely honest, I’ve read so much contradicting information on these laws I don’t even know what to believe. Just an absolute disgrace that both parties feel the need to lie and mislead so much that it’s legitimately very hard to know what is true nowadays.

That's fine.  But if enough of people like me do the same then you won't be so smug.
Actually I won’t care. When all the Trump supporters boycotted the NFL over Kaepernick I was just fine with it. So long as I got to watch my Steelers every Sunday I don’t care who else is watching. Boycott to your hearts content. 

Ahhhhh, so cancel culture is cool now?

I’ll be completely honest, I’ve read so much contradicting information on these laws I don’t even know what to believe. Just an absolute disgrace that both parties feel the need to lie and mislead so much that it’s legitimately very hard to know what is true nowadays.
Don't know where you got "cancel culture" from my post.  :shrug:

What I'm doing and what "cancel culture" does are two separate things.  Not even related.

Actually I won’t care. When all the Trump supporters boycotted the NFL over Kaepernick I was just fine with it. So long as I got to watch my Steelers every Sunday I don’t care who else is watching. Boycott to your hearts content. 
That's fine, Tim.  I'm not expecting you to care.  Did you think that was going to bother me?  That you don't care?

You can hate your skin color and virtue signal all you want.  It's all the rage nowadays.

Same, although I don't really have a dog in the fight as far as Georgia goes. This makes me slightly more interested.

Does anyone have a neutral or unbiased summary the new voting laws?

Users who are viewing this thread