What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moderate voters - Centerish Candidates (1 Viewer)

As long as they convince me that they can win Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin .. sign me up. I'm buying. Electablility 2020. I'll stomach mediocrity in an administration over our current shared embarrassment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this where we pretend that if Democrats would just nominate someone moderate enough that Republicans won't paint them as a far left liberal in the general? 
Well, there is this truth as well.  I'm not all that concerned with the predictable noise that comes out of the GOP though.  I think the country is smart enough to see what's going on at this point, but I could be wrong.  I hope I'm not wrong.

Is this where we pretend that if Democrats would just nominate someone moderate enough that Republicans won't paint them as a far left liberal in the general? 
No, this is where we don't nominate a crack pot on the extreme left wing in a knee jerk reaction to Trump.  Who cares how they are painted by the other side?

No, this is where we don't nominate a crack pot on the extreme left wing in a knee jerk reaction to Trump.  Who cares how they are painted by the other side?
If I had a nickel for every RINO that won the primary because of electability in the general, and then lost precisely because he or she was promptly portrayed as outrageous by the D running, I'd be loaded. 

If I had a nickel for every RINO that won the primary because of electability in the general, and then lost precisely because he or she was promptly portrayed as outrageous by the D running, I'd be loaded. 
Low cost of living area? Who we talking about here, Romney? McCain?

Well, "moderate" sort of implies in the middle of two extremes. So where those two extremes are matters when we talk about the word. The farther right the Republicans go, the farther right the middle is. 

The "extreme left wing" as described by some in here is advocating policy that is supported by a majority of the country. Do you think Elizabeth Warren is extreme? I think she's entirely reasonable, and have since well before Trump was elected. Just because Trump is a ninny doesn't mean we have to paint the other side with the same brush on the other side.

Well, "moderate" sort of implies in the middle of two extremes. So where those two extremes are matters when we talk about the word. The farther right the Republicans go, the farther right the middle is. 

The "extreme left wing" as described by some in here is advocating policy that is supported by a majority of the country. Do you think Elizabeth Warren is extreme? I think she's entirely reasonable, and have since well before Trump was elected. Just because Trump is a ninny doesn't mean we have to paint the other side with the same brush on the other side.
Ugh.  Are you saying left has moved so far that this is the new middle?  She's left of Obama and supports more government, more regulation and more taxes.  I think universal health care is debatable, but, paying off trillions of dollars in student debt?  No.

Which are the crackpots on the extreme left though?
I don't even remember all the names, I remember some of the crazy though:

$10 Billion a year to African Americans in reparations for slavery.

Green New Deal

Drastic increases on regulations.

Free college/Guaranteed income.

Wiping out 1.5 trillion in school loan debt.

Pretty much anything that comes out of AOC's mouth is cringe worthy.  I know she cant run yet.... but it seems people are borrowing her schtick.

:crazy:

I don't even remember all the names, I remember some of the crazy though:

$10 Billion a year to African Americans in reparations for slavery.

Green New Deal

Drastic increases on regulations.

Free college/Guaranteed income.

Wiping out 1.5 trillion in school loan debt.

Pretty much anything that comes out of AOC's mouth is cringe worthy.  I know she cant run yet.... but it seems people are borrowing her schtick.

:crazy:
AOC sure...though, she isn't a candidate for anything.

I think some of those policies may seem a bit extreme...does that make the candidate all that extreme though?  Id disagree there.  I don't think there is a candidate on either side that does not support some policy or position that can be seen as extreme on its own.

Is Bernie an Extreme left crackpot?  Warren?  Harris?  Buttigieg? Biden? We can start there...since those, currently are the 5 front runners for the Dem nomination.

AOC sure...though, she isn't a candidate for anything.

I think some of those policies may seem a bit extreme...does that make the candidate all that extreme though?  Id disagree there.  I don't think there is a candidate on either side that does not support some policy or position that can be seen as extreme on its own.

Is Bernie an Extreme left crackpot?  Warren?  Harris?  Buttigieg? Biden? We can start there...since those, currently are the 5 front runners for the Dem nomination.
I mentioned that AOC can't run, but that candidates are clearly trying to ride her coat tails.

I'd call a lot of what I know of Bernie as too far left, same with Warren.

Biden regardless of what he says you know he will not be left of Obama.

I don't know much about Harris or Buttigieg.

The main reason I started the thread was to ask for help weeding out the seemingly dozens of candidates.

Center Left, Center Right.  Moderate D or R.

What am I looking at here?  Good options to Biden?

Truly hoping the dems put out a moderate candidate and don't overreact to Trump by throwing out their own nutjob.

Add Klobuchar to your list.  Seems the ones you "know" aren't the ones you should.  Klobuchar and Buttigieg are what you're looking for based on your criteria.

I mentioned that AOC can't run, but that candidates are clearly trying to ride her coat tails.

I'd call a lot of what I know of Bernie as too far left, same with Warren.

Biden regardless of what he says you know he will not be left of Obama.

The main reason I started the thread was to ask for help weeding out the seemingly dozens of candidates.
I don't think the major candidates are riding her coattails at all.

I think Bernie last election would have been a better choice (not that he is any more or less "extreme")...but even still now there is enough GOP control in congress to keep the craziest of the crazy in check.  I don't think Warren is quite as extreme....but could agree those 2 would be what many would consider more far left.

Biden is the centrist...but I just don't really like him either.  I agree he won't go left of Obama (except to maybe try and save ACA by taking it left a bit.

Harris I need to look into more yet...but id say is not extreme left...and I know Mayor Pete is not all that extreme left.

Isn't this SOP?  During the primary you run as far to the extreme to "energize" the base as you can, then come back to center during the general?  The only reason this seems magnified in the Dem party right now is because there is an actual struggle within between "liberal" and "moderate".  Same thing happened in the GOP during their fracture.  Remember the Tea Party years?  Time will only tell of what happens to the Dems.  Hopefully they stay in tact and work out their differences and don't go the way of the GOP where the loons won out and that sprint to the right left many of their moderate base without a home.

Seems to me that people have a tendency to believe what ever position thay currently are in is a moderate one. Just because the majority of Democrats support a position does not mean it is now moderate. i.e. Medicare for all, free 4 year college education etc. By the same token just because a Republican majority support the freedom caucus or tea party positions doesn't mean those that the adoption of those points of view aren't far right.

The middle is probably pretty much in the same place as both parties have moved further to the right and left. In the case of the Dems, Bernie Sanders positions in 2016 are now pretty much accepted.

I don't think the major candidates are riding her coattails at all.
Really? The major candidate not trying to ride the great AOC’s coattails is Joe Biden.  A quick search shows-

Kamala paling around with AOC to create a bill Democrats probably won’t even pass-

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/07/kamala-harris-has-teamed-up-with-aoc-to-fight-housing-discrimination/

Bernie and AOC tag teaming Biden for talking down to progressives and declaring a “climate emergency”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/politics/joe-biden-bernie-sanders-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/index.html

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/9/20687526/bernie-sanders-aoc-national-climate-change-emergency

Really? The major candidate not trying to ride the great AOC’s coattails is Joe Biden.  A quick search shows-

Kamala paling around with AOC to create a bill Democrats probably won’t even pass-

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/07/kamala-harris-has-teamed-up-with-aoc-to-fight-housing-discrimination/

Bernie and AOC tag teaming Biden for talking down to progressives and declaring a “climate emergency”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/politics/joe-biden-bernie-sanders-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/index.html

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/9/20687526/bernie-sanders-aoc-national-climate-change-emergency
Working with her and riding coattails are two different things.

The thing with Harris is that, even if she leans left, I believe she can articulate it well in a debate with Trump and, in general, destroy him in the debates.  

According to moderates in this thread it’s probably not a good idea to attach yourself to AOC in any way.  Biden has the right approach here.
Id disagree...showing you can work with others and compromise is a quality I find respectable.

I think Kamala Harris is acceptable to the center. She is quite progressive on some issues, but much like Obama she is a pragmatist; she won’t push for things that she knows are unrealistic. I believe she will govern to the middle. 
Kamala Harris... centrist? 😂

Shes in the box.. about as far left economically as you can get. 

Users who are viewing this thread