What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rick Caruso for Mayor of Los Angeles (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Real estate developer Rick Caruso is running for mayor of Los Angeles. Many of you probably don’t know who this is, so: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Caruso

So why do I care about this? First because in my industry of commercial real estate, there is nobody I admire more than this guy. In the field of shopping center development he is the most innovative builder that I’m aware of, a true visionary. Here is The Grove in Los Angeles as a prime example of his work: 

https://thegrovela.com

Second, somewhat like Michael Bloomberg (whom I also admire), Caruso was previously a moderate Republican and is now a centrist Democrat. He is the anti-Trump in every way. More importantly, he is a pro-business Democrat. He was an advisor to the Biden Administration on recovery from Covid, and he stressed the need to help small businesses. In today’s climate in which so many Democrats are moving more and more to the left, Caruso is a throwback to the Dems of old- and exactly what we need. 
I don’t know anything about his personal life, except that he’s a big time USC guy and donor. Well nobody’s perfect. But hopefully, unlike some of the other guys I’ve admired in the past and turned out to be losers (Cuomo, anyone?) he’s not a schmuck. Guess we’ll see. For now I hope to see him elected. LA’s got a lot of issues to resolve. 

This editorial from USC’s The Daily Trojan, opposing Caruso’s candidacy, shows how dangerously leftist the student body has become: 

https://dailytrojan.com/2022/03/22/rick-carusos-mayoral-run-is-problematic/

This line is especially revealing: 

One does not earn 4 billion dollars without the exploitation of the working class. 

So ridiculous. Straight out of Karl Marx. Caruso earned his billions by developing shopping centers. Unlike Donald Trump, he never relied on eminent domain, or declared bankruptcy, or failed to pay his contractors. But to the students who wrote this it doesn’t matter. One cannot be rich in this society without exploiting the working class. This is the sort of thinking we need to keep out of the Democratic Party. 

Real estate developer Rick Caruso is running for mayor of Los Angeles. Many of you probably don’t know who this is, so: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Caruso

So why do I care about this? First because in my industry of commercial real estate, there is nobody I admire more than this guy. In the field of shopping center development he is the most innovative builder that I’m aware of, a true visionary. Here is The Grove in Los Angeles as a prime example of his work: 

https://thegrovela.com

Second, somewhat like Michael Bloomberg (whom I also admire), Caruso was previously a moderate Republican and is now a centrist Democrat. He is the anti-Trump in every way. More importantly, he is a pro-business Democrat. He was an advisor to the Biden Administration on recovery from Covid, and he stressed the need to help small businesses. In today’s climate in which so many Democrats are moving more and more to the left, Caruso is a throwback to the Dems of old- and exactly what we need. 
I don’t know anything about his personal life, except that he’s a big time USC guy and donor. Well nobody’s perfect. But hopefully, unlike some of the other guys I’ve admired in the past and turned out to be losers (Cuomo, anyone?) he’s not a schmuck. Guess we’ll see. For now I hope to see him elected. LA’s got a lot of issues to resolve. 
If he was in Detroit  he would be the painted as a republican.    Is LA an open primary?

This editorial from USC’s The Daily Trojan, opposing Caruso’s candidacy, shows how dangerously leftist the student body has become: 

One does not earn 4 billion dollars without the exploitation of the working class. 

So ridiculous. Straight out of Karl Marx. Caruso earned his billions by developing shopping centers. Unlike Donald Trump, he never relied on eminent domain, or declared bankruptcy, or failed to pay his contractors. But to the students who wrote this it doesn’t matter. One cannot be rich in this society without exploiting the working class. This is the sort of thinking we need to keep out of the Democratic Party. 
You know you write stuff like this and it completely  undermines your points written just a couple days ago.

It's all one thing Tim.   It's not separate situation by situation.    Ivan nailed you as 8-10 years behind.    

You know you write stuff like this and it completely  undermines your points written just a couple days ago.

It's all one thing Tim.   It's not separate situation by situation.    Ivan nailed you as 8-10 years behind.    
It will never be one thing for me. Every issue will always be separate, always situational. Frankly I don’t care if that makes me 100 years behind. It’s the way I think. 

Los Angeles is not an open primary I don’t believe. 

It will never be one thing for me. Every issue will always be separate, always situational. Frankly I don’t care if that makes me 100 years behind. It’s the way I think. 

Los Angeles is not an open primary I don’t believe. 
Well then continue to be surprised as the dems continue to their radicalization.

I listen to radio stations from around the country.   Florida , Colorado, Mississippi  and North Dakota.   And obviously michigan.   Political commercials are revealing,   Republicans actively talk about about the working class.  Admittedly they are more conservative stations.    But pro worker is in the message.    That wasn't true before 2016.

Well then continue to be surprised as the dems continue to their radicalization.

I listen to radio stations from around the country.   Florida , Colorado, Mississippi  and North Dakota.   And obviously michigan.   Political commercials are revealing,   Republicans actively talk about about the working class.  Admittedly they are more conservative stations.    But pro worker is in the message.    That wasn't true before 2016.
Yes, Republicans have become decidedly populist and are anti-trade as a result. The Republican move towards collectivism is nearly as disturbing as the Democratic move to the left. Both parties are moving away from capitalism and it’s awful. 

Yes, Republicans have become decidedly populist and are anti-trade as a result. The Republican move towards collectivism is nearly as disturbing as the Democratic move to the left. Both parties are moving away from capitalism and it’s awful. 
We are crony capitalist.   We haven't been capitalist since the depression.    The Republicans certainly are moving away from free markets for certain.   But becoming pro little guy isn't an example of it.

Now that Kim Kardashian has endorsed Rick Caruso, the race between him and Karen Bass is neck and neck.:

https://thehill.com/news/campaign/3504793-kim-kardashian-endorses-rick-caruso-for-la-mayor/amp/
Unfortunately Bass is playing the race card, asking if Angelinos really want a “rich white Republican developer pretending to be a Democrat”. She’s also trying to tie him to Trump, even though he’s nothing like Trump and the two can’t stand each other. 
Rick Caruso is clearly a trumpbot

Oh my God. I couldn't have nailed her any more perfectly. From her bio: 

"In the early 1990s, she convened a small group of community organizers, both African-American and Latino, and founded Community Coalition, known locally as CoCo. CoCo's mission is to help transform the social and economic conditions in South Los Angeles that foster addiction, crime, violence and poverty by building a community institution that involves thousands in creating, influencing and changing public policy. CoCo has become a nationally known community institution that has successfully changed many areas of public policy and trained a new generation of leaders.

Congressmember Bass grew up in the Venice/Fairfax area of Los Angeles, which is the same area she represents today in Congress. She is a graduate of Cal State Dominguez Hills, the University of Southern California’s School of Medicine Physician Assistant Program, and the USC Masters Program in Social Work."

Oh my God. I couldn't have nailed her any more perfectly. From her bio: 

"In the early 1990s, she convened a small group of community organizers, both African-American and Latino, and founded Community Coalition, known locally as CoCo. CoCo's mission is to help transform the social and economic conditions in South Los Angeles that foster addiction, crime, violence and poverty by building a community institution that involves thousands in creating, influencing and changing public policy. CoCo has become a nationally known community institution that has successfully changed many areas of public policy and trained a new generation of leaders.

Congressmember Bass grew up in the Venice/Fairfax area of Los Angeles, which is the same area she represents today in Congress. She is a graduate of Cal State Dominguez Hills, the University of Southern California’s School of Medicine Physician Assistant Program, and the USC Masters Program in Social Work."
We need LESS of these people.  Ughhh.

"Social worker/Community Organizer" smacks too much of Marxist/Communist influence to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Social worker/Community Organizer" smacks too much of Marxist/Communist influence to me.
Much less. She reeked of it just from her photograph. Her advertising campaign has the faint smell of "Marxist community organizer" all over it. I'm not sure what specifically, but I just saw pictures of her and thought, "social worker/community organizer." One ring-a-ding. Like a lion noticing a limping hyena in the Serengeti, I can sniff a social worker/politician from a mile away. 

The Democrats are still so predictable. She's gotta be neck-and-neck with Caruso, and chances are she wins the primary because of big city politics, which means that L.A. is stuck with her as mayor. Homeless tenements will remain in place for a few more years that way. Caruso's banking on property owners having had enough of it. I'm not so sure that's gonna win him the election. 

Karen Bass as mayor of L.A. would be an absolute disaster. I'll bet she comes from a social worker/community organizer background. 

Oof. 

I don't know a whole lot about either of them and I don't live in LA but it's so weird how we can look at the exact same things and reach opposite conclusions.  For me, past work as a community organizer/social worker = HUGE positive in terms of likelihood of getting my vote.  Being a former real estate lawyer turned real estate billionaire = HUGE negative in terms of likelihood of getting my vote.  

I don't know a whole lot about either of them and I don't live in LA but it's so weird how we can look at the exact same things and reach opposite conclusions.  For me, past work as a community organizer/social worker = HUGE positive in terms of likelihood of getting my vote.  Being a former real estate lawyer turned real estate billionaire = HUGE negative in terms of likelihood of getting my vote.  

If you like ideas of Marxism and Communism then Community Organizer is your thing, I guess.  ;)

The 19th and 20th centuries should have been enough to turn people off from those horrible ideologies/systems, but I guess some people continue to cling to them.  ;)

The mere whiff of these things should be a red flag.

It’s true though.  The rules are for the rich and powerful, they are able to game the system.  

i watch LA tv, I’ll have to pay attention a little more ti the mayoral race.

Both résumés seem great to me (in different ways). :shrug:

Much less. She reeked of it just from her photograph. Her advertising campaign has the faint smell of "Marxist community organizer" all over it. I'm not sure what specifically, but I just saw pictures of her and thought, "social worker/community organizer." One ring-a-ding. Like a lion noticing a limping hyena in the Serengeti, I can sniff a social worker/politician from a mile away. 

The Democrats are still so predictable. She's gotta be neck-and-neck with Caruso, and chances are she wins the primary because of big city politics, which means that L.A. is stuck with her as mayor. Homeless tenements will remain in place for a few more years that way. Caruso's banking on property owners having had enough of it. I'm not so sure that's gonna win him the election. 
I don’t hate Karen Bass. And I don’t assume, the way you do, that she’s a Marxist. But she’s definitely not who I would prefer this time around. 

I love Caruso because I love his shopping centers. I’m partial since this is my occupation and this guy is simply the best developer I have ever encountered. His centers are works of art, they can’t really be described without seeing them. No idea if that will translate to being a good mayor, but I’m also enamored by the return, hopefully, of pro-business Democrats.

My favorite politicians have always been economically conservative Democrats and socially liberal Republicans. These days both types seem so rare to me in terms of politicians (in real life they’re the majority I believe.) 

It really doesn’t matter what the D’s want in LA, there are few R’s to oppose.  The last R mayor in LA was Riordon. The homeless situation and crime have to be two of the top issues to address.  That seems to play into Bass’, even though her platform is probably some sort of re-imagining nonsense.

It really doesn’t matter what the D’s want in LA, there are few R’s to oppose.  The last R mayor in LA was Riordon. The homeless situation and crime have to be two of the top issues to address.  That seems to play into Bass’, even though her platform is probably some sort of re-imagining nonsense.
The homeless issue favors Caruso not Bass. It’s his main campaign theme. 

timschochet said:
The homeless issue favors Caruso not Bass. It’s his main campaign theme. 

So I just read about Caruso for the first time. Apparently his promise is to build 30,000 beds in 300 days? How is he going to do that? Where will he put them? How will he pay for them?

I want to be clear - that's terrific if he can do it. I'm just a little skeptical. 

So I just read about Caruso for the first time. Apparently his promise is to build 30,000 beds in 300 days? How is he going to do that? Where will he put them? How will he pay for them?

I want to be clear - that's terrific if he can do it. I'm just a little skeptical. 
Yeah it may be unrealistic. He wants to declare a state of emergency which will allow him to bypass red tape. He’s got in mind a Fort Bliss situation, but I’m not sure LA has the room for it. 

It’s important to note that critics are comparing him to Giuliani’s campaign for mayor, but Caruso’s solution is nothing like Giuliani: he’s not calling for police to manhandle the homeless and round them up and kick them out; he’s calling for more beds. 

Is he talking about literal beds, or is that code for some kind of housing accommodation?

A lack of literal beds is not the problem. People can sleep on the floor. What they need is a roof held up by some walls. Or at least a tent.

Can he get rid of Gascon?

link

"A California teen convicted of plowing a car into a mother and her 8-month-old son will spend just five months in a diversionary program thanks to Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon, according to the woman who survived the crash.

Despite shocking surveillance video of the Aug. 6, 2021, incident, numerous eyewitnesses and initial felony charges, the teen will serve his sentence at a "juvenile probation camp," an alternative sentence less severe than juvenile detention.

"I thought those were the last moments of our lives; we were dead," the mother, who asked to be identified only as Rachel, wrote in a victim’s impact statement. "That feeling, along with the memory of a car accelerating directly into us, will haunt me forever....."

link

"A California teen convicted of plowing a car into a mother and her 8-month-old son will spend just five months in a diversionary program thanks to Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon, according to the woman who survived the crash.

Despite shocking surveillance video of the Aug. 6, 2021, incident, numerous eyewitnesses and initial felony charges, the teen will serve his sentence at a "juvenile probation camp," an alternative sentence less severe than juvenile detention.

"I thought those were the last moments of our lives; we were dead," the mother, who asked to be identified only as Rachel, wrote in a victim’s impact statement. "That feeling, along with the memory of a car accelerating directly into us, will haunt me forever....."
gascon has ruined two of the three best cities in California with his stances on crime.  

link

You forgot the part where the kid was on probation at the time of the hit and run:

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1533830674565636097?cxt=HHwWgoCp8ea3ockqAAAA

Yeah it may be unrealistic. He wants to declare a state of emergency which will allow him to bypass red tape. He’s got in mind a

Fort

Bliss situation, but I’m not sure LA has the room for it. 

It’s important to note that critics are comparing him to Giuliani’s campaign for mayor, but Caruso’s solution is nothing like Giuliani: he’s not calling for police to manhandle the homeless and round them up and kick them out; he’s calling for more beds. 
If he can solve the homeless issue that's great.  He's certainly a better choice than Karen Bass.   However, what are the odds that his company will be the big beneficiary of this plan at taxpayers expense?  Pretty likely I would bet.

The battle between Rick Caruso and Karen Bass appears to me to be a microcosm of the current struggle for the soul of the Democratic Party. Bass is an unapologetic leftist (the main reason why Biden didn’t select her as VP), while Caruso is a former Republican disgusted by the Trump takeover of the GOP. Bass, like Bernie Sanders and AOC (and like Trump from the right) believes our system is fundamentally broken and needs to be replaced rather than fix. Caruso, a centrist his entire life, believes in tinkering on the edges but leaving the essentials alone. 

The homelessness problem and increased crime have made the differences between them even more stark. Caruso from a Republican background is a tough on crime advocate and he wants to tackle the homelessness problem head on (though his solutions are nothing like Rudy Giuliani, whom leftists eager to denigrate him constantly compare him to). Bass offers lip service to clearing the streets but has throughout her career embraced a progressive tolerance and inaction on the issue. And with regard to crime she is more in tune with Gascon and “defund police” efforts. 

I think Caruso is going to win this. Not necessarily today but in November. Angelinos are fed up. Not with liberalism, not with the Democrats, but with leftism. That being said, the Democratic Party needs to wake up here: unless they turn aside the leftism in their ranks, I fear the voters are going to reject them en masse. 

Marauder said:
If he can solve the homeless issue that's great.  He's certainly a better choice than Karen Bass.   However, what are the odds that his company will be the big beneficiary of this plan at taxpayers expense?  Pretty likely I would bet.
I don’t know how his company would benefit from clearing the homeless. 
Caruso’s shopping centers, while mostly outside, are enclosed on all sides by parking. Homeless can’t get in. 

I don’t know how his company would benefit from clearing the homeless. 
Caruso’s shopping centers, while mostly outside, are enclosed on all sides by parking. Homeless can’t get in. 
Also only one of Caruso’s centers, The Grove, is actually located in the city of Los Angeles. The rest are in surrounding cities. 

The battle between Rick Caruso and Karen Bass appears to me to be a microcosm of the current struggle for the soul of the Democratic Party. Bass is an unapologetic leftist (the main reason why Biden didn’t select her as VP), while Caruso is a former Republican disgusted by the Trump takeover of the GOP. Bass, like Bernie Sanders and AOC (and like Trump from the right) believes our system is fundamentally broken and needs to be replaced rather than fix. Caruso, a centrist his entire life, believes in tinkering on the edges but leaving the essentials alone. 

The homelessness problem and increased crime have made the differences between them even more stark. Caruso from a Republican background is a tough on crime advocate and he wants to tackle the homelessness problem head on (though his solutions are nothing like Rudy Giuliani, whom leftists eager to denigrate him constantly compare him to). Bass offers lip service to clearing the streets but has throughout her career embraced a progressive tolerance and inaction on the issue. And with regard to crime she is more in tune with Gascon and “defund police” efforts. 

I think Caruso is going to win this. Not necessarily today but in November. Angelinos are fed up. Not with liberalism, not with the Democrats, but with leftism. That being said, the Democratic Party needs to wake up here: unless they turn aside the leftism in their ranks, I fear the voters are going to reject them en masse. 
Who led the charge to clean up Echo Park? When i visited my daughter last summer it was beautiful.

Who led the charge to clean up Echo Park? When i visited my daughter last summer it was beautiful.
The City Council. But it was controversial because they didn’t provide anywhere for the homeless to go. That’s the Rudy solution: you just chase them away. But where do they go next? 

link

The kid was 16 and neither the mother nor the child was seriously injured. What do you think an appropriate punishment should be?

The kid was 16 and neither the mother nor the child was seriously injured. What do you think an appropriate punishment should be?
let me a drive a car straight into your wife and child.   i'm assuming you watched the video in the link.   you tell me?

let me a drive a car straight into your wife and child.   i'm assuming you watched the video in the link.   you tell me?

I think removing emotion from sentencing is a far better idea than letting emotion drive it. 

I also think the 5-7 months in a juvenile diversion center is in the realm of appropriateness. Depending on what other facts we don't know.

Once again I ask - what do you think is an appropriate punishment?

I think removing emotion from sentencing is a far better idea than letting emotion drive it. 

I also think the 5-7 months in a juvenile diversion center is in the realm of appropriateness. Depending on what other facts we don't know.

5 months in a juvenile camp for running over a mother and child in a stroller, in a stolen car,  is in the realm of appropriateness?     if i recall the perp was also on probation.      you seem soft on crime.    

5 months in a juvenile camp for running over a mother and child in a stroller, in a stolen car,  is in the realm of appropriateness?     if i recall the perp was also on probation.      you seem soft on crime.    
No, Americans are just overly bloodthirsty. We have overly excessive punishments and don’t give a crap about rehabilitation. Our criminal justice system is completely screwed up. 

So what do you think an appropriate punishment would be?

No, Americans are just overly bloodthirsty. We have overly excessive punishments and don’t give a crap about rehabilitation. Our criminal justice system is completely screwed up. 

So what do you think an appropriate punishment would be?
the way he moved the car towards the mother and child.   attempted murder.   not a lawyer.

Did you read my follow up to his post about this "kid" you're defending?  If not, you might want to......

Caruso with the early lead but it’s almost sure to be a runoff in November. 
I didn’t know it until tonight, but Caruso’s Italian grandparents settled in Boyle Heights (a part of Los Angeles). That’s where my own grandparents settled and my mom grew up. Makes me like the guy even more. If only he wasn’t a Trojan….

For stealing a car and driving into a mother and child? A lot more than what he got. 

He shouldnt be rewarded for getting lucky. 

ETA: stealing a car on its own should get a far worse sentence. We are at a weird place in this country where people actually think stealing a car is no big deal. That is so messed up on so many levels and obviously why it keeps happening more and more. 

2-4 years in jail.

The nice thing is the DA is San Francisco just got thrown out of office, hopefully Gascon is next.  We need to take back our cities.  

What rational basis for 5-7 months in a juvenile detention center is there?

There are four reasons for punishing crimes and four main philosophic bodies of thought behind them, according to Joshua Dressler, esteemed criminal law professor and expert case law book writer: 

- general deterrence (utilitarian concerns)
- specific deterrence (utilitarian concerns)
- retribution for the victims (Kantian/Rousseauian concerns)
- rehabilitation (Judeo-Christian spiritual concerns)

Those are the rational ends punishment seeks to engage. What on earth purpose does 5-7 months in juvey serve anybody in the country regarding this crime? He stole a car and drove it into people. What the galloping jalopy ghosts world are we living in where argue about a sentence this light? My friend from college had his child killed because somebody ran a crosswalk. Can you imagine if this child died? 

That's an abomination of a decision. These people that are too soft on violent or reckless crime need to go. We need to worry less about the drug war and more about deliberate property crimes and crimes against the person. Crazy world. Nuts. 

What rational basis for 5-7 months in a juvenile detention center is there?

There are four reasons for punishing crimes and four main philosophic bodies of thought behind them, according to Joshua Dressler, esteemed criminal law professor and expert case law book writer: 

- general deterrence (utilitarian concerns)
- specific deterrence (utilitarian concerns)
- retribution for the victims (Kantian/Rousseauian concerns)
- rehabilitation (Judeo-Christian spiritual concerns)

Those are the rational ends punishment seeks to engage. What on earth purpose does 5-7 months in juvey serve anybody in the country regarding this crime? He stole a car and drove it into people. What the galloping jalopy ghosts world are we living in where argue about a sentence this light? My friend from college had his child killed because somebody ran a crosswalk. Can you imagine if this child died? 

That's an abomination of a decision. These people that are too soft on violent or reckless crime need to go. We need to worry less about the drug war and more about deliberate property crimes and crimes against the person. Crazy world. Nuts. 
And the kid was out on probation, so it’s not his first run-in with the law.  Very good chance it won’t be his last either.

Users who are viewing this thread