What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LA Dem city council prez resigns after racist comments. (1 Viewer)

Maybe this has been touched on, but a couple things - first, I’m curious what the outrage is directed at. I’m assuming it’s her comments about white people because the little monkey comment, to me, applies as a catch all to little kids in general running around acting crazy as little kids are apt to do.

So are we in agreement that the outrage is about her racist take against white people? And if so, I’m white and I’m not the least bit offended.

People look for reasons to be butt hurt.
What? People think she is being racist toward black people not white.

Any one of the statements on their own could be argued aren't racist. I mean if a little kid was climbing all over stuff and she calls him a monkey, thats defensible. If she said somebody is "with the blacks" and he is constantly letting black people out of jail and constantly not arresting them as they terrorize malls and shopping centers, you can make the argument she did it out of righteous anger.

But when you say a little kid that happens to be black, and you already called him a monkey, needs a beat down after using other language that is highly questionable all in the same day I cant make the defense anymore.

Maybe this has been touched on, but a couple things - first, I’m curious what the outrage is directed at. I’m assuming it’s her comments about white people because the little monkey comment, to me, applies as a catch all to little kids in general running around acting crazy as little kids are apt to do.

So are we in agreement that the outrage is about her racist take against white people? And if so, I’m white and I’m not the least bit offended.

No agreement, probably been only 50-60 years or so since the term monkey directed at blacks was deemed offensive.
I don't know, I heard it more recently than that, but I guess usually with a p word ahead of it.

But yeah, I called my kids monkeys all the time.
Context is important. Monkey absolutely has been a term used in a racist context toward black people. I thought that was fairly common knowledge but I guess not. Either way if it was used in referencing a black person it is certainly racist , if it is used in the context of talking about a couple white kids playing then it’s not. Context is important
If you use the word monkey towards kids, regardless of color I don’t see why that is racist.

If you use the word with black kids then you’re being insensitive not understanding (and you should) how it would be perceived.

I think we throw the word racist around way to easily and it has lost its meaning
While I agree with the sentiments of what you‘re saying I also think a statement can be racist without the person themselves being racist. But admittedly that opens up the Pandora’s box of is someone racist if they make a racist statement, it’s a slippery slope.

But with all that say I 100% agree the term is excessively overused and one should be very careful when labeling people as such.
I've said racist things, and I am confident I am not a racist. :shrug:
Right, that’s my point. But there is a counter argument to that. Theres also the argument of many racist don’t think they are. (Not proclaiming that’s you Karma, just making a point).
Totally get it. All can be true:

1. Racist saying something racist (probably commom)
2. Non-racist saying something racist (probably fairly common)
3. Racist not saying something racist (probably rare)

No agreement, probably been only 50-60 years or so since the term monkey directed at blacks was deemed offensive.
I don't know, I heard it more recently than that, but I guess usually with a p word ahead of it.

Context is important. Monkey absolutely has been a term used in a racist context toward black people. I thought that was fairly common knowledge but I guess not. Either way if it was used in referencing a black person it is certainly racist , if it is used in the context of talking about a couple white kids playing then it’s not. Context is important
If you use the word monkey towards kids, regardless of color I don’t see why that is racist.

If you use the word with black kids then you’re being insensitive not understanding (and you should) how it would be perceived.

I think we throw the word racist around way to easily and it has lost its meaning
While I agree with the sentiments of what you‘re saying I also think a statement can be racist without the person themselves being racist. But admittedly that opens up the Pandora’s box of is someone racist if they make a racist statement, it’s a slippery slope.

But with all that say I 100% agree the term is excessively overused and one should be very careful when labeling people as such.
Right, that’s my point. But there is a counter argument to that. Theres also the argument of many racist don’t think they are. (Not proclaiming that’s you Karma, just making a point).

What would be an example of a non racist saying something racist?

I'll advised joke? Something they didn't realize might be offensive and racist?

I work with several immigrants and we joke inappropriately a bit. Someone hearing it could 100% be offended and I could see having backlash on SM if my comments about Latinas was recorded or their comments about lazy gringos.

I work with several immigrants and we joke inappropriately a bit. Someone hearing it could 100% be offended and I could see having backlash on SM if my comments about Latinas was recorded or their comments about lazy gringos.
I’ve always thought about being a racist as thinking a specific race was inferior. If I make a joke about black people being dumb hard not think I exhibit racism and am in some form racist.

If I make a joke about black people liking fried chicken is that racist? Stereotyping yes. Hot latinas (not sure what ur Latinas comment would be)…not racist.

Lazy gringos maybe but that’s more stereotyping to me.

I dunno

I’ve always thought about being a racist as thinking a specific race was inferior. If I make a joke about black people being dumb hard not think I exhibit racism and am in some form racist.

If I make a joke about black people liking fried chicken is that racist? Stereotyping yes. Hot latinas (not sure what ur Latinas comment would be)…not racist.

I dunno
I don't know, man. I could very well be wrong, but in this day and age who knows. It feels like racist, stereotyping, bigoted, etc get thrown under the racist umbrella.

I don't offend easily and I enjoy inappropriate humor, so I am just as lost.

We had a GM who when an employees bike got stolen went up to the only black employee and asked him what he knew about it. That is probably a clearer example than my dumb jokes.

I dunno
I don't know, man. I could very well be wrong, but in this day and age who knows. It feels like racist, stereotyping, bigoted, etc get thrown under the racist umbrella.

I don't offend easily and I enjoy inappropriate humor, so I am just as lost.

We had a GM who when an employees bike got stolen went up to the only black employee and asked him what he knew about it. That is probably a clearer example than my dumb jokes.

Where I grew up the black guys called this white dude on our football team the N word as his nickname. Then everyone starting calling him that. Everything was good until someone called him that away from the team and it was overheard by adults who went crazy. White adults too. Nothing racist about it but it was a white guy calling another white guy N.

We live in crazy times as to what is acceptable to one is not to another.

Users who are viewing this thread