What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Modern Television Sucks, Despite Protests (Protestations!) To The Contrary (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I'm attuned to a program in the other room.

There are people from The Registry disrupting people's lives, while someone named Bethany plays a role in a supernatural way.

I know it's at the fifty or fifty-five minute mark because they started playing an emotional song with piano accompaniment.

I don't even need to watch it to know how ****ty it is.

Such is the case with most modern television, up to and including Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, two of the most overrated bits of programming I've ever seen.

Fight me.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion, especially to say during a strike: there are too many shows spreading talent, especially writing talent, too thin. You get a dozen writers on a show nowadays, two have a foggy clue, the other 10 are dolts. Cut the number of shows down to like a third of what we have now, and maybe every one will have a decent writer, two half-decent guys below him, then four or five guys with the foggiest, and then the four dolts to round out the staff but not actually penning full episodes, and maybe we'd have something. Of course you can only make 8-10-12 episodes in a year but they wouldn't be a total waste by the end.

I totally agree on the premise. Where you lost me was Breaking Bad and Sopranos not being good. I will always prefer movies to TV because TV often gets bloated and has to just fill in time to keep it going. Still, there is a novelistic quality good TV can have and Mad Men, the first few seasons of Thrones, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Succession are all exceptional imo.

I totally agree on the premise. Where you lost me was Breaking Bad and Sopranos not being good. I will always prefer movies to TV because TV often gets bloated and has to just fill in time to keep it going. Still, there is a novelistic quality good TV can have and Mad Men, the first few seasons of Thrones, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Succession are all exceptional imo.
Agreed. I think Breaking Bad and Sopranos are two of the best shows ever made. There are still lots of good shows out today, but because the volume has gotten so out of hand, the batting average of quality shows has dipped quite a bit. It's like going with a zero RB strategy - a few are going to hit big, but most will be buyer's remorse.

Agreed. I think Breaking Bad and Sopranos are two of the best shows ever made. There are still lots of good shows out today, but because the volume has gotten so out of hand, the batting average of quality shows has dipped quite a bit. It's like going with a zero RB strategy - a few are going to hit big, but most will be buyer's remorse.
I love The Bear but other than that, I am struggling to find a very good to great show right now.

I love The Bear but other than that, I am struggling to find a very good to great show right now.
I need to watch The Bear. I am having the same struggle. Tried watching White House Plumbers recently, as plot seems up my alley with the political history and good cast, but, oof, it’s terrible.

Last edited:
I need to watch The Bear. Tried watching White House Plumbers recently, as plot seems up my alley with the political history and good cast, but, oof, it’s terrible.

Same exact thoughts on the WH Plumbers. Great cast, great sets and clothing that are era accurate but it’s so bad.

Modern television(2000 to present) is the best era of television ever. Go back and watch reruns of Different Strokes and then watch a few episodes of Rez Dogs. Tell me which one is funnier, more poignant(except for the "Very Special Episode with Gordon Jump" and a better story.....

WH Plumbers was a weird one. They were obviously trying to lampoon the story; but I couldn't help having a real fondness for Justin Therouxs version of G. Gordon Liddy.

Lunacy. There are too many options for decent to really good TV. People get anxiety because they have a list of good shows they need to watch, and they cannot get to them. This was not a problem back in the good old days.

People get anxiety because they have a list of good shows they need to watch
This is so true. When I'm watching a show - even one as great as The Wire - I can't wait to finish to get to the next show. It's an odd phenomenon which I suppose will only get worse since I watch so much less TV during the Summer.

One thing that is clear is that TV theme songs today can't hold a candle to the past.
Yeah good ones are few and far between. They weren’t songs but the music for Thrones and Succession (and Downton Abbey) absolutely ruled.

Modern television(2000 to present) is the best era of television ever. Go back and watch reruns of Different Strokes and then watch a few episodes of Rez Dogs. Tell me which one is funnier, more poignant(except for the "Very Special Episode with Gordon Jump" and a better story.....
Dramas especially don’t hold up well imo. They are so formulaic. There are some comedies that have aged well imo: Taxi, Mary Tyler Moore, **** Van Dyke for example are all still very funny and deliver their POV perfectly even today.

I can't say there is a show on ABC,NBC, CBS that we watch regularly (except Survivor), but there is so much to see everywhere else, My wife and I have a list of series we want to watch.

There have been some great shows such as the Last of Us and From--which both absolutely killed it. We also watch a ton of Discovery and History Channel.

Dead wrong Rock. Dead wrong. TV over the last 20 years is better than it’s ever been and it’s not even close. The highs are far higher and the lows are simply more numerous due to the overall options being greater.

This is so true. When I'm watching a show - even one as great as The Wire - I can't wait to finish to get to the next show. It's an odd phenomenon which I suppose will only get worse since I watch so much less TV during the Summer.
I assume I am not the only person on the planet that doesn't get to the hot show everyone is talking about it, gets a little resentful about it, then never watches it when people stop talking about it (Looking at you, Squid Games).

I loved the first season of Yellowjackets, but true to form I haven't gotten around to S2.

Pretty much this. I stopped caring for the most part because the time sink never seemed to feel worth it 90% of the time - call it the Game of Thrones effect, I guess. First 4 seasons some of the best I've ever seen, then...... :wetfart: I think that's the last time I've watched a show from start to finish. I still watch some shows here and there, and will watch a full season of something on occasion, but it never seems to be anything I am clamoring to get back to because I know the odds are it's going to be inconsistent, end badly, get bloated, something.

For the the sweet spot is either a limited series like Chernobyl that has a max of 10 episodes or just stick to movies.

Dramas especially don’t hold up well imo. They are so formulaic. There are some comedies that have aged well imo: Taxi, Mary Tyler Moore, **** Van Dyke for example are all still very funny and deliver their POV perfectly even today.
As luck would have it, I've been rewatching The Mary Tyler Moore show and have to agree.
Chuckles Bites the Dust more than holds up. I was practically crying it was so funny.

LOL that the D ick Van Dyke show is censored. :ROFLMAO:

As luck would have it, I've been rewatching The Mary Tyler Moore show and have to agree.
Chuckles Bites the Dust more than holds up. I was practically crying it was so funny.

LOL that the D ick Van Dyke show is censored. :ROFLMAO:
That’s funny considering the DVD Show is as wholesome as anything short of Leave It To Beaver (though my thoughts about young MTM are not always wholesome).

I assume I am not the only person on the planet that doesn't get to the hot show everyone is talking about it, gets a little resentful about it, then never watches it when people stop talking about it (Looking at you, Squid Games).
Yea wtf with squid game?! I tried, but I couldn't

Users who are viewing this thread