What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Modern Television Sucks, Despite Protests (Protestations!) To The Contrary (2 Viewers)

Jethro becoming a "double naught" spy.....:lmao:
:ROFLMAO:
I need to do a end-to-end rewatch.

Who has all seasons of Beverly Hillbillies?

You can also watch The Beverly Hillbillies on demand at Crackle, Tubi TV, Pluto TV, Plex Apple TV Channels, Amazon Prime, Philo, Amazon, Vudu, FuboTV, The Roku Channel Free, Hoopla, Crackle, Tubi TV, Pluto TV, Plex online.

I've been rewatching the Beverly Hillbillies and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm 11 episodes in on season 2.
Some highlights
1. The theme. Sure, everyone knows it, but did you know that in seasons 1 and 2 (at least), it had a 2nd verse incorporating their sponsor of the week, Kellogg's?
2. Early seasons had >30 episodes each. Seasons 1 and 2 had 36! They didn't hit the "normal" 26 until season 7.
3. Sharon Tate had a recurring role in S2 (and occasionally played other characters as well).
4. Jethro may be my favorite character. Everyone remembers double naught spy, but the "Your Grace" "Yours too" exchange in Elly Starts School (S2 E4) with Cynthia Fenwick still slays.
5. It's in the public domain now, so it's free just about everywhere.

Lunacy. There are too many options for decent to really good TV. People get anxiety because they have a list of good shows they need to watch, and they cannot get to them. This was not a problem back in the good old days.
This is something I can definitely relate to. I don’t get to watch a lot of shows, so I tend to veer away from ones that are already 4-5 seasons in and want to get in close to the ground floor on things.

I will echo others that The Bear is a fantastic show, and a recent one I also really enjoyed was Queen’s Gambit (helped that it was just the one season). Looking for the next one…

I definitely agree with a lot of what the OP said however I would strongly disagree about Breaking Bad but it's not for everyone, I know folks that could not get into it.

-The use of music is used a lot to try and emotionally charge or trick the viewers/manipulate their emotions as they are watching

-I stopped watching most TV in the last 2-3 years, the pandemic really did me in for TV. When i watch now, you can see the blatant manipulation in most of these shows. I still want to watch live sports so at times I have to see some of the ads at least thru the live sports, it's shocking sometimes the shows they are running ads for.

-TV is mind control

@kupcho1 Max Baer Jr is 85 years young

Last edited:
Lunacy. There are too many options for decent to really good TV. People get anxiety because they have a list of good shows they need to watch, and they cannot get to them. This was not a problem back in the good old days.
This is something I can definitely relate to. I don’t get to watch a lot of shows, so I tend to veer away from ones that are already 4-5 seasons in and want to get in close to the ground floor on things.
I used to be like this too, but then I got burned one too many times by shows that either went off the rails after 3-4 seasons, got unexpectedly cancelled, or just had stupid endings that ticked off the fanbase. I'm sure we can all think of examples of shows that fall into each of those categories.

Now, I'm slightly hesitant to get into brand new shows. I made an exception with House of the Dragon because I had good reason to think that they would avoid the same mistakes that doomed GOT. Otherwise, I'm finding myself either going back and watching shows that I missed on their first run (currently on S5 of Mad Men, probably looking at The Shield before too long) or jumping in on the very tail end of shows that demonstrated staying power (e.g. Succession).

But the important thing is that anymore, you have to have a strategy for choosing which shows to watch. There's way too much above-average content out there to see everything, so you have to be selective. It's a great problem to have.

Is it just me or did Schitt's Creek simply take the Beverly Hillbillies and turn everything upside-down? Premise, character personalities, just about everything.

when was it better?
2010-12ish. Always Sunny, the good versions of Homeland/Thrones/Donwton Abbey, Modern Family, Curb, Community, Boardwalk Empire, Friday Night Lights, Walking Dead (if you were into that), Justified, Parks and Rec, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, 30 Rock and so on. There are barely any shows now as good as the worst show on that list.

That's an incredible list. The quantity and quality of those shows, many of them groundbreaking, make this hard to argue.

when was it better?
2010-12ish. Always Sunny, the good versions of Homeland/Thrones/Donwton Abbey, Modern Family, Curb, Community, Boardwalk Empire, Friday Night Lights, Walking Dead (if you were into that), Justified, Parks and Rec, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, 30 Rock and so on. There are barely any shows now as good as the worst show on that list.
Good list. I want to disagree with this, and I can certainly think of a few shows that belong in this company, but I have to admit that you've made a very good point here.

Friday Night Lights

Wait a minute here. I distinctly remember this as a later aughts show. I watched the first three seasons in an apartment in New Haven that I left in 2009.

The writer's strike that wound up with a dead person/murder and Landry and an aborted second season, IIRC. LOL. Then again, I can't really remember most of it. Minka Kelly was her name? She dated Jeter and got herpes? Anyway, I watched the whole thing and lived it always smashed to hell. Those days were some liquor-charged ones.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

when was it better?
Good list. I want to disagree with this, and I can certainly think of a few shows that belong in this company, but I have to admit that you've made a very good point here.
Any list like this not listing Deadwood is criminal. I’m rewatching it from the start (just finished season 1) for probably the 5th time. All time great.

when was it better?
Any list like this not listing Deadwood is criminal. I’m rewatching it from the start (just finished season 1) for probably the 5th time. All time great.
Deadwood wasn't on TV then. If you think there were better shows 2004-2006 when Deadwood was on, make your case.

Friday Night Lights

Wait a minute here. I distinctly remember this as a later aughts show. I watched the first three seasons in an apartment in New Haven that I left in 2009.

The writer's strike that wound up with a dead person/murder and Landry and an aborted second season, IIRC. LOL. Then again, I can't really remember most of it. Minka Kelly was her name? She dated Jeter and got herpes? Anyway, I watched the whole thing and lived it always smashed to hell. Those days were some liquor-charged ones.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
It ended in 2011. So your memory is correct, it did bleed into the 10s though.

I think y'all are just watching the wrong shows or something.

Mrs. Davis, The Diplomat, Black Bird, Perry Mason, The Bear, SAS Rogue Heroes, Andor, Dark Winds, The Rehearsal, Irma Vep, Reservation Dogs, We Own this City, Reacher, Mare of Easton, White Lotus, Station Eleven, I May Destroy You, Queen's Gambit ...

I could go on and on. All excellent shows. All within the last couple of years.

when was it better?
Agree, probably better than any current list. Not sure the OP would agree though. Maybe he’s longing for the days of Cop Rock

I think y'all are just watching the wrong shows or something.

Mrs. Davis, The Diplomat, Black Bird, Perry Mason, The Bear, SAS Rogue Heroes, Andor, Dark Winds, The Rehearsal, Irma Vep, Reservation Dogs, We Own this City, Reacher, Mare of Easton, White Lotus, Station Eleven, I May Destroy You, Queen's Gambit ...

I could go on and on. All excellent shows. All within the last couple of years.
Reacher? Reacher????? I mean, you have it on a list with The Bear and Station Eleven. Come on now.

Users who are viewing this thread