What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MOP's RB draft strategy (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I keep getting PMs and hints from folks to do something before the season starts. I gotta be honest and say that this year I have had a wait and see approach based on the way the Shark Pool is moving and also the shortened off season which I think hurts some of the players that are popular reaches for a lot of owners. I feel like it's better to go with what you know over what you don't know. I'm going to run through the RBs based on ADP, FBG rankings, and where I am seeing players go in these drafts. Felix Jones is not going in the 5th round, not even close in anything I have drafted in to this point. I say that because I see a lot of folks, even some FBG staff that have fairy tale drafts based on impossible players being available at different spots which is going to bring me to my first gripe and or observation of the 2011 season.

(4 letter expletive, starts with the letter F) having the perfect draft. 1st of all, you would never have the perfect draft if you play in one of my leagues. And if it is mostly comprised of FBG which many of the ones I commish are...you can just cross every sleeper and value play off your list now. I am not taking pot shots at David Dodds, in fact I absolutely love reading the perfect draft article, I open immediately once it's done, loaded with good ideas. Problem is at the end of the day I want the guys I want, and when you combine that article with the "Get your stink off the roster" I usually look like a Los Angeles Noob trying to navigate the 405 and the 110 interchange for the first time.

I don't like being stuck with players that I don't really like. I was reading a post, cannot remember the poster's name and he was actually trying to zing me but he made a great statement along the way which was if you feel a player is not worth their ADP or you wouldn't draft him then why is he even on your list? I am not going to go through every player but there are definitely players that I don't want any part of and quietly have a small celebration internally every time they come off the board in these drafts. So before I get into this I want to stress that I am a gigantic proponent of believing in yourself and getting the guys you want.

When these drafts take place you typically draw a slot from 1-12 and that is your slot throughout the draft. The next thing that happens is the first 50 players come flying off the board in some order fairly close to what they are projected to do and also unfortunately based on what the player did the year before. Some of you are saying, what else is there to base it on? I understand that POV, I'm just stating the facts, if that makes you uncomfortable then look inside yourself not pointing fingers at me. I'm just here to ask questions and get you to think a little bit for yourself. Now the good news is you are here...why does that matter you ask? There are millions of FF owners or folks who play in some form of this game and yet there are probably less than 250-500 of you that frequent the message boards and post...I haven't seen us crack 750 member yet in the SP this year even when major news or injuries hit. So the reality is very few people are going to walk into your local leagues and have half the information you have rolling around in your head. This is good and bad as I'll explain. The bad is simple, most locals don't really get ADP, usually have outdated info, and they panic after the household names come off the board. But these sons of female dogs can ruin you if you wait too long on the players you covet the most. I'm not advocating that you grab Colt McCoy in the 2nd round because you feel he is a breakout candidate, but I am saying that if you really want him and his ADP is rounds 14-15, you might wan to grab him a round or two earlier to ensure you get the guy you want. Now you can name 10 other QBs that might have as good if not better numbers but that is based on someone else's projections and opinions, not yours necessarily.

I'm going to go through these mostly in buckets/tiers or rounds and then turn it over to you all. I don't have pages of stats or nu wave theories about RB ratings and waiting until the 10th round to draft your 1st RB...but I gotta tell you those pieces have allowed me to see things from other perspectives and I can tell the way folks are drafting in the SSLs and also the $125k that FBG is hosting(well worth the $350) that many of these folks are reading the articles and then putting them to work...my advice is use it your advantage.

Tier 1-Early 1st

The suspects...ADP, A.Foster, J.Charles, C.Johnson, Shady, Ray Rice

If you are picking in the top half of the 1st round you likely are going to be looking at these 6 guys. If you have the #1 pick there is no other correct answer than Adrian Peterson right now. Foster's hammy is starting to spook me and also makes me think we have a 3 headed thing developing in Houston later on down the road. Kubiak can say what he wants right now but things have a way of changing as the season progresses. It might pan out for Foster after week 3 or 4, but that's a lot of unnecessary risk if you have the 1st pick. If you still want Foster and love the upside, I can't blame you but where you take him is just dependent on your risk tolerance...and judging by the Shark Pool threads we have the most conservative bunch of FF owners East of the Mississippi...I have ADP at the 1.01, previously would have been Foster. ADP has a solid QB in place despite what many critics say, the offense will go through him, he's a bellcow, I shouldn't have to sell him to you.

I have another RB that I would add to this group but I will save him for the next tier or two (Bankerguy, Steel Dillo, and the US12 crew already know who I am hinting at) as that is where he typically is drafted.

Next I would likely lean towards Johnson. I had someone tell me today how often players get hurt when they miss camp...Johnson is special and I understand why people pass on him but he is going to sign, both sides need each other and Johnson is not going to turn down big money when it is all said and done. The problem is the Titans had not even started to get their ducks in a row and just hoped or assumed he would show up for whatever he was getting this year...fat chance Titans. But if you pass on Johnson you can find another guy I like a lot in PPR and that is Shady McCoy. The Eagles OL is not very good but I do like McCoy and think he will do plenty of damage. Ronnie Brown does not hurt Shady but I think he will help keep a fringe(meaning not built like ADP) RB1 healthy for much of the season. I like Shady and I like the Eagles a whole heckuva lot.

Jamaal Charles scares me a little at the top and mostly I am frustrated with his HC. If you don't mind the situation then go for him but I am thinking he doesn't live up to his draft spot this year. KC has OL problems and they have been moving guys on and off the roster, I just don't like what I am seeing and Haley isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Ray Rice is a solid option as well. Sure he won't have a lot of big 30+ point games but he is much more consistent then many give him credit for. He started slow last year but in the middle of the season he was top5 for sure. He's not sexy but he will get the job done and anchor your RBs.

After those guys go...

Tier 1B- Mid to late 1st...Mendenhall and DMC

Those 2 guys typically go in the 1st round somewhere, usually towards the end after the top 3-4 WRs come off the board and maybe a QB. I'm not going to sugarcoat my feelings here...Mendenhall or find another RB from the next couple tiers. I know the DMC fans are gonna want to come full force at me, I simply cannot get behind him right now. Oakland to me just looks like a bad team, poor coach compared to the other 31 in the NFL, have a lot of holes, rookies, and questions along their OL as well. Why take that risk when you can have Mendy who has a strong QB leading the way? It just doesn't make sense and yet I see more owners take DMC before Mendy. But if you have to swing upside and for the fences in the 1st, be my guest.

Tier 2- Round 2...MJD, Gore, Forte, SJax, M.Turner(non PPR, .5PPR), P.Hillis

There are some really good RBs here. The good news is most of these guys have proven they can tote the rock and their teams typically try and get them 18-20+ touches. The guy I like the most of this group right now is probably MJD. For those that look at the rankings by all the staff you will see that Jeff Tefertiller has him rated #2 on his board...#2!!! JT and I talk all the time and we bounce ideas around, he's a huge MJD fan and I'm not suggesting you take him at the 1.02 like I did in US12, that might be too much of a leap for some. The guy is 1 year removed from a top 3-5 year. If he had duplicated it last year he would go #2 overall IMO. His offense isn't that good, but there really is not a prolific receiver anywhere on that offense(can it Thomas owners). He should catch 50+ balls easy. I think he stands out as a 2nd round steal right now.

Next would be 2 more backs that I like a lot and people are just overlooking for very strange and bias reasons. I was wrong about Hillis last year and I don't need to make the same mistake again. He won't be good all the time but much of the time he is a bell cow, he runs over anyone that tries to get in his way(usually rare in the NFL), he's a 3 down back, he runs fly patterns up the sidelines because they have no WRs and also he has incredible athleticism for a LB in an RBs body. The other guy getting sorely overlooked is Michael Turner. If you have one of slots 1-3 we'll say...forget going WR/WR on the 2-3 turn, go ahead and lock up your RB2 and feel good about it. I promise you when we get to the round 4/5/6 segment of this program I am gonna make you cry so don't say I didn't warn you in advance. Michael Turner has the best passing game he has ever seen in Atlanta clearing the way for him. I think he's a shoe in for 1,200 and 12 TDs in that offense. He is not old, he is not breaking down, he simply was hurt last season and his numbers reflect that. He took the FF world by storm in 2008, had a nice 2009, then things went the wrong way last year. I like him to bounce back like MJD which is why you can get them where you can. I have seen Turner go in the 3rd, even early 4th but you are gambling and if you miss him the drop off gets steep quickly.

The other backs...SJax-wake me up when he has a big year again because time is running out on him. M.Forte wants a new contract, has a stinky OL, and I just flat like other backs better at this point in the draft. Forte could be a big bust for owners this year. Finally, we have Frank Gore and when he is on he's top5. I like him paired with one of the top6 but I see Gore typically picked in the early mid 2nd as an RB1 for most teams. Better handcuff him if you do. Also the 49ers look like hell right now.

Tier 3- Round 3...Jahvid Best, Felix Jones, Ahmad Bradshaw, DWill, LeGarrette Blount, Mark Ingram

This is a tricky tier because several teams will wait until the 3rd round to grab their RB1. Because of this many panic or feel they are entitled to reach a good round early from where many of their ADPs actually are. In my leagues someone is always grabbing these guys well ahead of their ADP. Majority of these guys I like but to different degrees.

I don't like Best all that much and basically the health is my issue as he seems ready to be injured at any moment. Not a guy I sleep better knowing he's on my team, much prefer someone else taking him early 3rd. Felix Jones also offers some big upside but also offers a lot of risk. Is that what you want for your RB1? Risk management and overall fit for a team are very important. The way I might like Felix best is if he is your RB2 in RD 3, but you plan on going 3 deep at RB inside of 6 rounds then I might like Felix a lot more. I haven't talked much about best ball but when you have to actually fill a line up out weekly like in the FBG $125k contest, you don't want to be pushed into a corner. Best ball makes clustering a group of 4th and 5th tier type RBs a lot easier to cover up your RB2.

Ahmad Bradshaw was a guy I loved when he came into the league. I still like him but passed on him quite often in the redrafts for another back, that being DeAngelo Williams. I understand things are not great in Carolina but they made a major commitment to DeAngelo and I expect him to get a lot of work. He has a 20 TD season on his resume, still in his prime, expect 300 touches this year.

Blount could backfire on folks. Again, as an RB2, going to get your RB3 by Round 6/7 then I'm a lot more comfortable with Blount. I don't see anyone right now on the Bucs roster that could unseat him. Blount continues to show me flashes of immaturity still and that's not good.

Finally if you want Mark Ingram you are going to have to reach for him a little bit. I think early on you will see a lot of Pierre Thomas and then Ingram getting more and more touches as the season moves along and then as he hits that rookie wall I expect to see a lot more Pierre Thomas towards the FF playoffs which is when the Saints will want to keep Ingram fresh for the playoffs. Bottom line I think Ingram can get 250 carries and a decent amount of receptions. He might be a double digit TD maker as a rookie too. I like him but understand he will be splitting time early in the season as he learns the ropes.

Before going into the next tier, please understand I am just grouping these mostly on their ADP right now. For example, I think MJD is a tier 1 type but you can get him in the early 2nd so I just left him where he was. I'm not tiering(made up word) these in the order I would take them but mostly based on their draft position and where you have to grab them.

Tier 4- Rounds 4 and 5...Ryan Mathews, Shonn Greene, Knowshon Moreno

If you want to mail it in for your FF leagues, make one of these 3 guys your main RB this year. I don't really like them as RB2 types either. This is why you have to grab that RB on the ⅔ turn, otherwise you end up with a doo doo bag on the 4-5 turn. Mathews will share a lot of touches with Mike Tolbert, Greene with others plus I don't like his running style, and finally Moreno is going to have to share with McGahee who many like better and you can get in about 5-6 rounds so why burn the pick on Moreno?

Not to mention the fact that you can get an awesome combo at WR in the 4th and 5th rounds like Brandon Lloyd and Mario Manningham, add that into you WR stables instead of one of these turds that is going to make you pull your hair out on Sundays. Let someone else enjoy the risk here. "But MOP"...NO BUTTS, this is not the Shuke Booty thread.

Now some of the RBs I mentioned in tier 3 will fall into round 4 and if they do and you like them, great jump all over them but I am not going to be naive enough to tell you that those backs will be there because many times they are not. The reason why they go ahead of their ADPs IMO is this last little tier I just went over. You will not be the only person who is uncomfortable with Mathews, Greene, and Moreno so you need to adjust accordingly.

What about Tim Hightower? Drafted last night in what I would call an inferior league but he went in the middle of the 5th so he's not a well kept secret. I like THT but again you are going to need another RB to pair with him as your RB2. There are several THT threads I posted in if you want to know more about him. I am starting to feel like both Torrain and Helu will be used extensively along with THT but it's not clear that you can count on 275-300 touches out of him.

Tier 5- Rounds 6 and 7...Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant, Marshawn Lynch, Joseph Addai, Chris Wells, Fred Jackson, Reggie Bush

Right away I will tell you that Chris Wells ends up being taken a lot of the time in the 5th round, someone always loves him because he's the only RB left in Arizona...as if that's a reason by itself to draft someone. He is one of the worst starting RBs in the NFL so if that statement doesn't sum up my feelings I'm not sure what else will. Again the little internal celebration button goes off when Wells comes off the board. You want to bring knives to a gunfight then by all means take Wells.

Benson will get 300 carries and produce ho hum numbers, not much upside but he is serving his prison sentence now so he will be free by opening day. I wondered why they would send him in October, this makes much more sense. Would I draft Benson? I would take him if he fell to the end of the 6th where I see him go some of the time but I also see him go as an early 6th and there are others I like better in this tier although I'm not wild about having to start any of these guys. Best Ball? Sure, but when you have to wheel out Benson as a weekly starter you are losing some serious punch on the roster.

Ryan Grant seemed like a steal to me in the 6th or 7th round but it seems there is a lot of talk that Starks will take his job. Seems like a split to me, doubtful that Starks makes Grant a side dish for the entire season. Another landmine I see is the sudden surge and interest in Reggie Bush. Don't be a sucker, that guy never stays healthy and the Miami offense is not as good as some are trying to pimp it as. Bush could not make it happen with a buttload of talent around him in New Orleans and a much better OLine. now suddenly the light goes on with an inferior offense? I'll pass, let someone else take the risk as I scoop up my WR3 that will perform more like a WR2.

Lot of people like to scoop up Fred Jackson and I think that's a mistake. He is a solid RB, he is a guy I root for because I like his atitude, but at the end of the day he isn't going to propel you very far. To me he is a "possible" bye week fill in and not much more. CJ Spiller is going to get the ball more this season, and if not then Buddy Nix or whatever that yahoo is acting as the GM is gonna look really foolish.

This leaves both Lynch and Addai. I told you the 4/5/6 rounds get brutal. Lynch is battling some ankle injuries and the offense right now doesn't look a whole lot better than the 49ers. Lynch has some upside and I like Tom Cable taking over the OL, the addition of Gallery inside next to Okung, that said so far this offense lacks any QB leadership adn that always is a major turn off for me. Addai is being overlooked and I know the Dyansty Nuts take over the Shark Pool and start raving about Delone Carter. I like Carter but Addai was resigned and he will be out there much of the time trying to help in pass protection for Peyton Manning , something he excels at. Look for Addai if healthy to put up solid RB2 numbers and that folks is your life preserver in this tier. Addai can be had on the 6/7 turn and I like him as an RB3 with RB2 upside, maybe even higher if he remains healthy all season.

Tier 6- Rounds 8, 9, and 10...JStew, BJGE, Daniel Thomas, CJ Spiller, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Brandon Jacobs, Pierre Thomas, Michael Bush, Willis McGahee

This is a lot of RBs and the good news is most of them come at an affordable price. Some of them I like, some not so much. Let's start with the good. BJGE is going ot lead the way for NE this season. Unless he is hurt I expect them to go with BJGE, especially arund the goal line. New England has brought in a couple new backs but that doesn't mean they ahve to play them right away. You can always take BJGE in the 8th and then pair him with one of the rookies much later in the draft. BJGE makes a great RB3 on almost any roster. He might lose some yards this year but I think he can squeeze out double digit TDs again.

Mike Tolbert is going to get touches but probably not more than about 40-45% at most so he really is a bye week filler unless Mathews goes down which could happen. I wouldn't reach for him though. Brandon Jacobs seems like free money now. he was never a bargain in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds like in previous years but in the 9th? He is going to get a lot more work than people realize and he is a bull around the goal line. he makes a perfect RB3 for bye weeks and I think they will use him a little more in the ground game outside the Red Zone.

Last guy I have a mild interest in from this tier is probably McGahee just because Fox likes to run it, run it, and run it some more. McGahee should burn whatever tread is left on his tires this season in Denver. Daniel Thomas looks like one of the worst rookie RBs in this class so far. I was doing the game recap for Miami-TB last week which you can find in Joe's email update last night. I have been following the Dolphins, live down here in Miami, not impressed, in fact appalled would be the better term.

I mentioned Pierre Thomas earlier and I think he will make a very nice 1-2 punch with Ingram. I believe you will see him scoring well on the stat sheet early and also later in the season as they ease Mark Ingram into things and then try to keep him fresh for their playoff run.

The Great Beyond- Rounds 11 and so forth...

I'm not going to touch on all of them but I will say that all players after about the 9th or 10th round are in play so if you like a guy take him. I have a few rules though...

1. Get your handcuff in the 10th or 11th round. Don't leave Ben Tate and Derrick Ward out there too long, or Javon Ringer who you might need early on, or Ronnie Brown as he seems to be slowly easing into things and looks pretty good to this point...all I'm saying is back your early round investments up. Guys like Jason Snelling are worth more to the Michael Turner owner than anyone else so why not get him and let him occupy your RB5 slot. Jeff Pasquino gets the credit for this rule and I tend to make it a priority so I am not trying to battle the waiver wire or blind bids in my moment of need.

2. Consider some late round combos to help find one decent guy to keep. For example I like to pair Danny Woodhead with Ridley or Vereen and figure one of them is going to pan out as a great flex option throughout the season. It doesn't cost you much and it shores up your RB3/4 type slots. And in best ball they are worth even more.

3. Take a very late round flyer on Larry Johnson. I say this as I saw him do something that Miami doesn't have on the roster when he played the other night. He took his 2nd hand off and made a nice cut to gain 5 yards, no one had done that all night. He has better moves at 31 than Thomas has at 21. The sent Thomas back in after LJ took a couple touches and I really think it was to show Thomas what he needs to do. If I'm wrong you can simply cut him, we're talking 20th round here. Miami IMO is still a very unsettled position and once Bush ends up injured Miami is going to be in a world of hurt at RB. And if not LJ, find a guy that you think will have huge upside if he gets on the field. Thats why I like guys such as Kendall Hunter in SF, Ben Tate in Houston, Powell in New York, Helu in Washington, Murray in Dallas...and my last late round flyer types and Harrison in Detroit, they need him to perform to help lighten the load and he has flashed some skills in the past. These backs should they get on the field have quite a bit of surrounding talent that would make them look better than perhaps their actual talent since they are RB2/3 positions on their teams for a reason.

So let me land the plane before the Sons of Liberty come crashing in here ready to tar and feather me(Hi Tim). If you already drafted and you feel offended because I went after some of the guys sitting on your roster or perhaps didn't give them all the credit you think they deserve...I really don't care. And what I mean is I'm not interested in the fancy technical stats that Chase Stuart can whip up at a moments notice(I'm just jealous that he knows so much). This was more about the big ole MOP gut. I'm not interested in trying to prove you wrong or myself right, this is simply based on what I have observed, the off season movement, the OL in place for some of these teams, and finally where guys are valued at right now. It is about how certain guys will fit on your roster. If you need clarification and you don't want to ask on the boards, just shoot me a PM. Ask anyone who sends them to me, I'm as nice as could be, and will be happy to converse back and forth with you. I write in a conversational way for a reason. You all are smart, you show up here and do your homework, time to go out and kick ###. Have a fantastic Labor Day Weekend everyone!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with many of your evaluations and think you're generally down on too many guys--I count maybe 10-12 backs you have any positive words for?--but this was nonetheless a good read and welcome brain fuel heading into the last week of drafting.

1. You will 'rue the day' you ever doubted Darren McFadden. He’s a lock to finish top 10 and a good shot at top 5 in every scoring format. Much more talented than Mendy, but scoring will be close. If you like Mendy, by all means, go out and take him. I’ll take DMC. Agree to disagree.

2. Regarding the theory of “get who you like”, I agree and disagree at the same time. There are a couple of guys who you should want to get, based on your gut feel that he’ll outperform his ADP. But sometimes there are guys that weren’t really on your pre-draft want list that sometimes fall. You might have to bite your lip and let one of your “guys” fall and possibly lose him if it comes to that. You need to recognize value, especially when a player is falling a round or more below his ADP. Ironically, sometimes this happens for the same “get who you like” reasons, whether it’s a drafter who always must have Antonio Gates on his team, or is an Eagles or Cowboys homer. Certainly go out and get who you like, but don’t fall in love with them, and have a plan to shift on the fly.

3. Your Tier 4 RB’s should not include Greene for the simple fact he is not in the same timeshare situation as Moreno and Mathews. While I’ll agree that there is nothing exciting about Shonn Greene’s running style, his ceiling on carries could approach 300 carries and that is valuable in its own right as a potential RB#3.

Speaking of which…

4. I know you aren’t impressed with Cedric Benson, even in the 6th round. But think about how many RB’s realistically have a shot at 300 carries. It’s a short list, wouldn’t you say? Now as you mentioned, he’d be a RB#3. An excellent RB#3 imo because your top 2 RB’s are the table setters and your 3rd running back, is well... a guy you’d be happy if he scores double digits consistently. Not every back has to be a home-run hitter, and Benson provides a high stable floor and compiles stats with his bulk of carries. For fantasy purposes, I’d much rather have a low ceiling/high floor RB#3, than a high ceiling/low floor RB#3. Benson is among that tier, a solid value.

Nice effort MOP and have a nice Labor Day Weekend.

There are some really good RBs here. The good news is most of these guys have proven they can tote the rock and their teams typically try and get them 18-20+ touches. The guy I like the most of this group right now is probably MJD. For those that look at the rankings by all the staff you will see that Jeff Tefertiller has him rated #2 on his board...#2!!! JT and I talk all the time and we bounce ideas around, he's a huge MJD fan and I'm not suggesting you take him at the 1.02 like I did in US12, that might be too much of a leap for some. The guy is 1 year removed from a top 3-5 year. If he had duplicated it last year he would go #2 overall IMO. His offense isn't that good, but there really is not a prolific receiver anywhere on that offense(can it Thomas owners). He should catch 50+ balls easy. I think he stands out as a 2nd round steal right now.
No concerns about his knee? I'll have to admit that the fact that he's still not 100% has me spooked. Good job overall. Great read.

What RB in those lesser tiers have the most upside? You know there's going to be a guy or two that jump up. Who's that guy(s).

Is Moreno being overlooked? Not that he'll be top 10, but this is his make or break season, correct?

What RB in those lesser tiers have the most upside? You know there's going to be a guy or two that jump up. Who's that guy(s).Is Moreno being overlooked? Not that he'll be top 10, but this is his make or break season, correct?
I think Moreno and Jacobs are very underrated in relation to where you can get them. Its well chronicled all the hate for Moreno but the facts on paper is, in a ppr, he produces solid RB2 numbers. People will cite his missing games but I really don't see it as way different than a guy like, say, chris johnson, who plays a handful of 12 for 70 games every year. As long as you are building a complete team with some RB depth, Moreno and Jacobs are fine plays.Re: Shonn Greene and Cedric. I will admit that neither seem sexy enough now to get people to talk them up but as a rare situation of Rbs that can get 250-300 carries, I think you have to move them up because even with a pedestrian ypc average, you are likely looking at 1100+ yards and opportunities to realistically score 6-10 times. Thats a RB2 range. Not exciting to talk about but will produce.I always appreciate a person taking time to put the thought into these things. I like a lot of the reasoning MOP has on some of it; disagree with some (probably biased though because I disagreed so hardily last year when he was advising to avoid Fitz). I think that's where MOP's info blurs. Seems to have a hard cut off line once its past the super studs of the league. In general, I think a lot of the guys he is "meh" about can have much more impact that he suggests (I think someone said he only had nice things to say about 10-12 guys...obviously, many more than that will be key players for owners). None of that is bad; just have to look at it relatively.I'm in the camp as not sold on DMAC. I hate to think a player WILL get injured but I'm seeing a guy that has missed time a lot and the team may struggle. Asked to do too much, I think DMAC could wear down mid season.The one guy I am concerned about this year is Shady. I love this kid and of course he was great last year but I think that o-line has problems and the addition of Ronnie brown and Steve Smith may be enough to take away just enough carries and catches from Shady to not only keep him from taking another step, but might also bring him back down a bit and, in a ppr, if he loses 15-20 catches and 80-100 yards this year to those guys, he looks more like Bradshaw from last year than himself. Just a 2 cents on the "red chip" watch.

I disagree with many of your evaluations and think you're generally down on too many guys--I count maybe 10-12 backs you have any positive words for?--but this was nonetheless a good read and welcome brain fuel heading into the last week of drafting.
Hey Tigers,Ask the folks who pile in to the RB thread in season...Rule#1 from MOP "A handful of guys make the difference"...last year a good percentage of Arian Foster owners took the loot him with them. It's just simple math, they can't all be good. And I want people to fill their slots out with guys that going to perform frontline. A lot of owners look at their WR1, WR2, and WR3 slots...I look at it more like WR1, WR1, WR1...I want top 10 guys everywhere on my roster. I don't try and build a solid team to have a chance at the playoffs, I simply assume I am going there and I need to bring the heavy artillery with me. I appreciate you roost, thanks for the kind words.

1. You will 'rue the day' you ever doubted Darren McFadden. He's a lock to finish top 10 and a good shot at top 5 in every scoring format. Much more talented than Mendy, but scoring will be close. If you like Mendy, by all means, go out and take him. I'll take DMC. Agree to disagree.2. Regarding the theory of "get who you like", I agree and disagree at the same time. There are a couple of guys who you should want to get, based on your gut feel that he'll outperform his ADP. But sometimes there are guys that weren't really on your pre-draft want list that sometimes fall. You might have to bite your lip and let one of your "guys" fall and possibly lose him if it comes to that. You need to recognize value, especially when a player is falling a round or more below his ADP. Ironically, sometimes this happens for the same "get who you like" reasons, whether it's a drafter who always must have Antonio Gates on his team, or is an Eagles or Cowboys homer. Certainly go out and get who you like, but don't fall in love with them, and have a plan to shift on the fly.3. Your Tier 4 RB's should not include Greene for the simple fact he is not in the same timeshare situation as Moreno and Mathews. While I'll agree that there is nothing exciting about Shonn Greene's running style, his ceiling on carries could approach 300 carries and that is valuable in its own right as a potential RB#3.Speaking of which…4. I know you aren't impressed with Cedric Benson, even in the 6th round. But think about how many RB's realistically have a shot at 300 carries. It's a short list, wouldn't you say? Now as you mentioned, he'd be a RB#3. An excellent RB#3 imo because your top 2 RB's are the table setters and your 3rd running back, is well... a guy you'd be happy if he scores double digits consistently. Not every back has to be a home-run hitter, and Benson provides a high stable floor and compiles stats with his bulk of carries. For fantasy purposes, I'd much rather have a low ceiling/high floor RB#3, than a high ceiling/low floor RB#3. Benson is among that tier, a solid value.Nice effort MOP and have a nice Labor Day Weekend.
Quality post, great points, ty.

No concerns about his knee? I'll have to admit that the fact that he's still not 100% has me spooked. Good job overall. Great read.
I like the combination of him with a top3-5 WR from the first. A Fitz/MJD combo could be very lethal to drop a couple anchors down.

I would take Mendenhall over DMC as well.

But for DMC to overcome the bad coach and questions on the O-line, how is that different from last September?

What RB in those lesser tiers have the most upside? You know there's going to be a guy or two that jump up. Who's that guy(s).

Is Moreno being overlooked? Not that he'll be top 10, but this is his make or break season, correct?
I think Moreno and Jacobs are very underrated in relation to where you can get them. Its well chronicled all the hate for Moreno but the facts on paper is, in a ppr, he produces solid RB2 numbers. People will cite his missing games but I really don't see it as way different than a guy like, say, chris johnson, who plays a handful of 12 for 70 games every year. As long as you are building a complete team with some RB depth, Moreno and Jacobs are fine plays.Re: Shonn Greene and Cedric. I will admit that neither seem sexy enough now to get people to talk them up but as a rare situation of Rbs that can get 250-300 carries, I think you have to move them up because even with a pedestrian ypc average, you are likely looking at 1100+ yards and opportunities to realistically score 6-10 times. Thats a RB2 range. Not exciting to talk about but will produce.

I always appreciate a person taking time to put the thought into these things. I like a lot of the reasoning MOP has on some of it; disagree with some (probably biased though because I disagreed so hardily last year when he was advising to avoid Fitz). I think that's where MOP's info blurs. Seems to have a hard cut off line once its past the super studs of the league. In general, I think a lot of the guys he is "meh" about can have much more impact that he suggests (I think someone said he only had nice things to say about 10-12 guys...obviously, many more than that will be key players for owners). None of that is bad; just have to look at it relatively.

I'm in the camp as not sold on DMAC. I hate to think a player WILL get injured but I'm seeing a guy that has missed time a lot and the team may struggle. Asked to do too much, I think DMAC could wear down mid season.

The one guy I am concerned about this year is Shady. I love this kid and of course he was great last year but I think that o-line has problems and the addition of Ronnie brown and Steve Smith may be enough to take away just enough carries and catches from Shady to not only keep him from taking another step, but might also bring him back down a bit and, in a ppr, if he loses 15-20 catches and 80-100 yards this year to those guys, he looks more like Bradshaw from last year than himself. Just a 2 cents on the "red chip" watch.
I am definitely guilty of that. But that said I was all over Foster's tip last year. There will some guys that outperform their draft slots no doubt. I would target some RB2/3 types late in the draft where if they get on the field they have the potential to go nuclear...example would be if BJGE is hurt, Woodhead gets knocked around, suddenly it could be the Stevan Ridley show on a very talented team with a strong OL, top3 QB, great system...I could look good in New England running the ball. I like guys that if they get their number called have the best chance to succeed.

I would take Mendenhall over DMC as well.But for DMC to overcome the bad coach and questions on the O-line, how is that different from last September?
If you can pair him with Mendehall on the turn, I say go for it if you really like the upside. In best ball where I don't have to think about match ups, I play DMC and enjoy the big 4-5 games where he goes off, but to have to start him every week in line up leagues where he is you RB1...I'm not feeling that so much. You ask a good question. I guess I'm a doubting Thomas right now, maybe I'll turn into Saul/Paul by week 3, we'll see.

I would take Mendenhall over DMC as well.But for DMC to overcome the bad coach and questions on the O-line, how is that different from last September?
Because he just got whacked in the face and broke several bones - there are very few guys I think wouldn't have some reaction to that when they get back on the field....DMC is one on the other side where I could see this making him gunshy

Because he just got whacked in the face and broke several bones - there are very few guys I think wouldn't have some reaction to that when they get back on the field....DMC is one on the other side where I could see this making him gunshy
Good point Hook

Good thread Sean

Some of the readers could get off the hate/argue boxes and look at the tiers and draft positions - very valuable to break down the position players that way and move some up on your board and some down

Actually, I think it was one little bone (orbital bone).

Yes, this is correct. And it was a freak injury that area is usually protected by the facemask. It's healed up now, and the chances of something like this happening again are like getting struck by lightning twice. I don't think DMAC has this injury on his mind anymore.

2. Regarding the theory of “get who you like”, I agree and disagree at the same time.

Perfect example, I wasn't planning on drafting Jahvid Best due to injury concerns. I liked other RB2 on the board and took Felix Jones in the third round. As my fifth round pick rolled around (5.8 in 14 teamer) guess who is still undrafted? Best. Even though I didn't want him on my team necessarily, I couldn't pass up the value and he will be a RB3 for me. If he plays above his ADP, he will be a steal. If he doesn't or gets hurt, I can survive the loss as he is my RB3.

Perfect example, I wasn't planning on drafting Jahvid Best due to injury concerns. I liked other RB2 on the board and took Felix Jones in the third round. As my fifth round pick rolled around (5.8 in 14 teamer) guess who is still undrafted? Best. Even though I didn't want him on my team necessarily, I couldn't pass up the value and he will be a RB3 for me. If he plays above his ADP, he will be a steal. If he doesn't or gets hurt, I can survive the loss as he is my RB3.
That's good. I agree, just was going on my observations from other drafts. I was not a Julio Jones fan in redrafts but picked him up at a point I was comfortable with last night. It's all about how a guy fits your roster. RB3, no problem, RB2 maybe problems, RB1 major problems.

Good read as always, MOP.

I was on the fence about Reggie Bush and Wells but the more I read, the more they fall in my mind.

I still think Lynch is primed for a breakout year. Improved o-line, full training camp in the system and coming in as the #1 guy just screams production to me. I liken him to the 09 Benson.

Jacobs is becoming more intriguing to me. Having owned Bradshaw in all my leagues last year, the 2nd half of the season was agonizing because of Jacobs. Coughlin is going to use him and getting him in the 9th+ is a steal.

Keep the info flowing. :thumbup:

I do not believe that English is your native language.
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Sarnoff http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_images/master/user_popup.pnghttp://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showuser=35773&f=2' alt='a>'>. View it anyway?

The mods, the posters, and myself all have better things to do then getting into this silliness so from here on you can just talk to yourself and I encourage others to ignore you too, no need to stick up for MOP. I could call a mod over but you would only use another login so this is just easier.

Good luck

I agree on Deangelo over Bradshaw (which is frustrating, because he'd be a great pick without the timeshare).

I disagree on one little thing though...

I don't try and build a solid team to have a chance at the playoffs, I simply assume I am going there and I need to bring the heavy artillery with me.
I too make this assumption. Especially if you play in a league where like 8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs (which I see more and mroe of...and disagree with...but I digress). However, if you are going to make this assumption shouldn't Benson and Beanie be a tier up?

They might just be slightly a tier below as you have them, but good Lord, those playoff schedules are heads and shoulders above guys like Moreno and Green.

I agree on Deangelo over Bradshaw (which is frustrating, because he'd be a great pick without the timeshare).I disagree on one little thing though...

I don't try and build a solid team to have a chance at the playoffs, I simply assume I am going there and I need to bring the heavy artillery with me.
I too make this assumption. Especially if you play in a league where like 8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs (which I see more and mroe of...and disagree with...but I digress). However, if you are going to make this assumption shouldn't Benson and Beanie be a tier up? They might just be slightly a tier below as you have them, but good Lord, those playoff schedules are heads and shoulders above guys like Moreno and Green.
And that's why we all come here. Good points and something I had not thought that much about. Feel pretty sure I could trade for Wells at different points in the season if I felt that strongly.

Yes, this is correct. And it was a freak injury that area is usually protected by the facemask. It's healed up now, and the chances of something like this happening again are like getting struck by lightning twice. I don't think DMAC has this injury on his mind anymore.
I would think it might bother a guy that has questionable toughness. DMC is hard-nosed, I have never seen him shy away from any contact. Any thoughts that he might be skittish aren't coming from anything based in his history. I can understand the fears about the offense, and his durability. But the fact is, the starting offense has looked good thus far, no one loved Cable or the O-line last year, and DMC ripped it up. I don't think he is a top 5 back, but if you are getting him at the end of the 1st, can't fault that.

Great post, but I needed it a week ago. Went WR-WR first two rounds and paid the price as NONE of the sleepers I hoped would fall did. I ended up with Greene-Wells-Lynch-Harrison at RB....not happy at all. Picking in the 9 spot I think was the worst position this year.

I largely agree with this and am aligned with the thinking on all but a handful of players. The only question I continue to ask the sharkpool is how can you be high on Ingram in the 3rd and down on Mathews in the 4th. Based on the following

SDC carries last few years 390,385,420 with 13,16,18 TDs

NOS carries last few years 370,430,350 with 19,19, 9 TDs

Coaches history

Norv - bellcow (of course we acknowledge the stated the plan for RBBC this year)

Payton - RBBC

Both have elite passing games and are high pedigree 1st round NFL picks whose teams traded up to get them

Experience in NFL

Mathews 1yr+

Ingram 1 month

Competition for carries

SDC - Tolbert, Todman?

NOS - Thomas, Sproles, Ivory

Given all this, in my mind they both seem destined for 200ish carries and some receptions. The only clear differnce in role is likely GL stuff...

I largely agree with this and am aligned with the thinking on all but a handful of players. The only question I continue to ask the sharkpool is how can you be high on Ingram in the 3rd and down on Mathews in the 4th. Based on the followingSDC carries last few years 390,385,420 with 13,16,18 TDsNOS carries last few years 370,430,350 with 19,19, 9 TDsCoaches historyNorv - bellcow (of course we acknowledge the stated the plan for RBBC this year)Payton - RBBCBoth have elite passing games and are high pedigree 1st round NFL picks whose teams traded up to get themExperience in NFLMathews 1yr+Ingram 1 monthCompetition for carriesSDC - Tolbert, Todman?NOS - Thomas, Sproles, IvoryGiven all this, in my mind they both seem destined for 200ish carries and some receptions. The only clear differnce in role is likely GL stuff...
Great point, let me try and help. New Orleans when they won the Super Bowl 2 years ago had a much more balanced attack. Last year they got hit with the bubonic plague at RB and that's why Drew Brees threw it 80 million times. They drafted a 1st round RB, kicked Reggie Bush out of town and brought in Sproles to make one of the most diverse 3 bad systems in the NFL.

Great post, but I needed it a week ago. Went WR-WR first two rounds and paid the price as NONE of the sleepers I hoped would fall did. I ended up with Greene-Wells-Lynch-Harrison at RB....not happy at all. Picking in the 9 spot I think was the worst position this year.
I'm probably in the minority, but I like that group of RBs paired with 2 stud WRs. I think there's a steep drop off after the top 5-6 WRs, whereas you can draft guys like Wells and Lynch later who have zero competition for carries. Barring injury (which is nearly impossible to predict), they'll accumulate respectable numbers alongside the monster stats your 2 stud WRs put up.

Nice posting MOP, though you've dinged a few guys I've rostered (can't be avoided really).

RE: McFadden - I felt like you did about him until last year. He sure looks like the goods to me. His OC from last year is now his HC and they've brought in Saunders for OC. They lost Gallery and Miller, but Gallery isn't that great anyway, and Boss should be a decent replacement for Miller when it comes to blocking. Otherwise it's basically the same road graters they had last year. Another year in the same offense should make Campbell respectable and they've got tons of speed on the outside to keep defenders from cheating into the box. My biggest concerns with McFadden are his ability to avoid injury and potential touches lost to Bush and Jones (who looked fantastic last week by the way, he should be on peoples' radar for dynasty and WW pick up if McFadden misses time) - particularly Bush taking goal line work. Their strength of schedule sucks for the 2nd half of the FF season, but is decent for week 15 and 16 (if you buy into preseason SOS). Still, I think McFadden has a nice outlook for the season, particularly for the PPR folks.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'We Tigers said:
Hey Tigers,Ask the folks who pile in to the RB thread in season...Rule#1 from MOP "A handful of guys make the difference"...last year a good percentage of Arian Foster owners took the loot him with them. It's just simple math, they can't all be good. And I want people to fill their slots out with guys that going to perform frontline. A lot of owners look at their WR1, WR2, and WR3 slots...I look at it more like WR1, WR1, WR1...I want top 10 guys everywhere on my roster. I don't try and build a solid team to have a chance at the playoffs, I simply assume I am going there and I need to bring the heavy artillery with me. I appreciate you roost, thanks for the kind words.
Oh, I'm with you there--I just think you're undervaluing a few situations as much as people on here tend to overvalue more players than they should. For example, you've got Ryan Mathews in the doo-doo bag group, but also have Tolbert as "no more than a bye week filler" getting 40% of the touches. While I can buy an argument that Brandon Jacobs is like Tolbert but better, the three Chargers' RBs racked up 2580 yards and 20 TDs last year. Those are big time numbers. If Norv wants his RBs to roll that hard, is a guy who sees 35-40% of that and goal line really worthless? Is a guy who sees around 50% of that really worthless? I want RB1, RB1, RB1 as well, but if you stick to that mentality in your draft you may hit some very tough spots. I always pick out the guys I think will crush it and make it a priority to grab them, but I also want to think about the guys who'll do pretty well and provide me some spot starts and insurance. If you can get two guys you think finish in the top 12, great, but you might still need to find another out there, and I'd rather get the guy I think will finish around RB25 at RB25 than get the guy I think will finish RB26 at RB15, or just keep waiting for "value" and end up getting RB45 at RB55. At that point, diminishing returns kick in, and you've got a roster of backups.Balance is key. I just never rule a guy out unless he has massive, unknowable health issues, or isn't signed to a contract, and always try to identify the potential value on every team.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
1. You will 'rue the day' you ever doubted Darren McFadden. He’s a lock to finish top 10 and a good shot at top 5 in every scoring format. Much more talented than Mendy, but scoring will be close. If you like Mendy, by all means, go out and take him. I’ll take DMC. Agree to disagree.
Or get 'em both, as I did in my auction draft ($34 for McFadden and $41 for Mendy). :thumbup: Another reason to do auctions...

MOP good stuff.thanks.

I think you're missing the boat on Ryan Mathews.I think there's an outside chance he is this year's 201 Adrian Foster.HE's going to be THAT good, IMO.

avg 5.7 per carry so far in preseason.Norv Turner is not,has not,and never will be a RBBC guy.

now fully healthy I expect Mathews to be the bellcow they thought he would be when they drated him last season.

You can upsell me on Shonn Greene till you're blue in the face, the guy is a mudder, running in an offense that seems to get lost at times - Shottenheimer occasionally doesn't know what he is doing out there..when you think they should stick with run,they pass pass pass..

I'll pass on Gtreene, thanks.

You're too low on Fred Jackson and you're giving CJ Spiller way too much credit..this is Jackson's show.

Mendy > DMac only because of pitt's schedule.it is Sta-Puft marshmallow soft..

I don't get your idea of WR's in the 5th as you said, Manningham and Lloyd..I'd much rather have a guy like Santana Moss , a 93 rec guy from 2010 over either of these duds..

Manningham drops a ton of passes, and Eli..where do I start..?

Thanks for the read.

I will only quibble about one player. It's not clear to what the "a lot of risk" that Felix Jones offers is? He's a 3 down back on an explosive offense, a former 1st round pick, still entering his prime, has looked great in the preseason, and played 16 games last year. I can't even say that about all the 1st round picks.

MOP good stuff.thanks.I think you're missing the boat on Ryan Mathews.I think there's an outside chance he is this year's 201 Adrian Foster.HE's going to be THAT good, IMO.avg 5.7 per carry so far in preseason.Norv Turner is not,has not,and never will be a RBBC guy.now fully healthy I expect Mathews to be the bellcow they thought he would be when they drated him last season.You can upsell me on Shonn Greene till you're blue in the face, the guy is a mudder, running in an offense that seems to get lost at times - Shottenheimer occasionally doesn't know what he is doing out there..when you think they should stick with run,they pass pass pass..I'll pass on Gtreene, thanks.You're too low on Fred Jackson and you're giving CJ Spiller way too much credit..this is Jackson's show.Mendy > DMac only because of pitt's schedule.it is Sta-Puft marshmallow soft..I don't get your idea of WR's in the 5th as you said, Manningham and Lloyd..I'd much rather have a guy like Santana Moss , a 93 rec guy from 2010 over either of these duds..Manningham drops a ton of passes, and Eli..where do I start..?
One of my best critics. Good stuff Tanner, good luck in any redrafts you have remaining.

Thanks for the read.I will only quibble about one player. It's not clear to what the "a lot of risk" that Felix Jones offers is? He's a 3 down back on an explosive offense, a former 1st round pick, still entering his prime, has looked great in the preseason, and played 16 games last year. I can't even say that about all the 1st round picks.
Just seems like he has had a lot of injury problems since coming into the NFL, touch him and he has to go get an ice pack. I would love for other backs to "step up", maybe this is his year but that OL is a work in progress as well.

couple thoughts:

When I watched AP against the Cowboys the other night, my 1st thought was, this guy looks better than ever and is THE #1 pick, period.

I like Mendy over DMC, slightly. Mendy is solid. He has nice footwork, power, and good vision. Should be a consistent producer on a good O. DMC is more explosive.

I like Tolbert and Jacobs later as the unsexy picks for their respective teams. good value, quite a few TD's.

Hillis is gonna have another good season. He just needs to rest that big body more. 2nd coming of Allstot.

I like Wells a little more than MOP. IF Kolb can be somewhat effective, Wells might get some lanes. He's gonna be motivated, and I think he's got more talent than some give him credit for. If he's there at value I like him.

Felix. Is this gonna be his year? I like Felix to have a big year unless that O-line doesnt gel, which could happen. Who is the backup to have. I still like Choice. He just seems to be a natural running the ball. nothing flashy, but solid. Murray is more explosive and more sexy at this point. BOth can be had very late in drafts.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
4. I know you aren’t impressed with Cedric Benson, even in the 6th round. But think about how many RB’s realistically have a shot at 300 carries. It’s a short list, wouldn’t you say? Now as you mentioned, he’d be a RB#3. An excellent RB#3 imo because your top 2 RB’s are the table setters and your 3rd running back, is well... a guy you’d be happy if he scores double digits consistently. Not every back has to be a home-run hitter, and Benson provides a high stable floor and compiles stats with his bulk of carries. For fantasy purposes, I’d much rather have a low ceiling/high floor RB#3, than a high ceiling/low floor RB#3. Benson is among that tier, a solid value.
Benson's touches are definitely undervalued. Besides the obvious carry numbers, he's also VERY likely to jump his receptions. He's pretty solid in the passing game, but the combination of Bratkowski/Palmer made that irrellevant for years.

What about Tim Hightower? Drafted last night in what I would call an inferior league but he went in the middle of the 5th so he's not a well kept secret. I like THT but again you are going to need another RB to pair with him as your RB2. There are several THT threads I posted in if you want to know more about him. I am starting to feel like both Torrain and Helu will be used extensively along with THT but it's not clear that you can count on 275-300 touches out of him.
Around what overall pick are you comfortable drafting THT?

Around what overall pick are you comfortable drafting THT?
6th-7th was nice 2 weeks ago. He looks good in the preseason but I see more of a rotation once the season unfolds.

Users who are viewing this thread