What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moritz Böhringer, WR Bengals - Taming the Stripes like Sigfried and Roy! (1 Viewer)

It was hard to pull the trigger knowing petekrum from FGBs doesn't like him, but I just picked him up as rookie #46 in a 14-teamer with 350 Q/R/W/Ts rostered.
 Instead of a :hawkscreech: I need a :botbeep:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's probably a 95% chance you're right pete.

The problem is that you're saying there's a 100% chance you're right.
Hey, if you're right more power to you, and if my dynasties had a 6 or 7 round rookie draft, maybe I'd take a look at him, but our rookie drafts are three rounds which comes out to 36 to 42 players, and within those parameters he shouldn't even get a sniff.

Driver, Colston, Cruz, Austin, Garcon... gotta pay attention when small-school or other off-the-radar guys get a shot.

Disregard this thread and many others if you have a 10 team 15 man roster league. If you are 12+ team and roster 30, and draft before the nfl draft, maybe you throw a 7th at him

Pat just signed this guy...were discussing German players earlier

Markus Kuhn is a German American football defensive tackle for the New England Patriots of the National Football League. He was selected in the seventh round, 239th overall, by the New York Giants in the 2012 NFL Draft. 

During German WR Moritz Boehringer's positional workout at Florida Atlantic this weekend, the Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, New York Jets, Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos all sent representatives.
This according to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline. It's always fun to see the draft community unexpectedly freak out over an unknown entity late in the process. That appears to be the case with Boehringer, who spun heads Exorcist-style when he sprinted through the 40-yard dash in the neighborhood of 4.40 seconds and sliced the three-cone drill to the tune of 6.64 seconds during Florida Atlantic's Pro Day at the end of March. The 6-foot-4, 225-pounder was back at it this weekend for positional drills. Per Pauline, "He not only caught the ball well but absorbed the requests and easily ran the route tree asked of him. Just like his initial pro-day on March 31st, Boehringer looked very natural." Per NFL.com, the Patriots, Packers, Vikings, Broncos and Chiefs are among the more interested parties here. Boehringer has likely turned himself into a Day 3 selection.

Source: TFY Draft Insider 
Apr 10 - 6:53 PM

Faust said:

During German WR Moritz Boehringer's positional workout at Florida Atlantic this weekend, the Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, New York Jets, Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos all sent representatives.
This according to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline. It's always fun to see the draft community unexpectedly freak out over an unknown entity late in the process. That appears to be the case with Boehringer, who spun heads Exorcist-style when he sprinted through the 40-yard dash in the neighborhood of 4.40 seconds and sliced the three-cone drill to the tune of 6.64 seconds during Florida Atlantic's Pro Day at the end of March. The 6-foot-4, 225-pounder was back at it this weekend for positional drills. Per Pauline, "He not only caught the ball well but absorbed the requests and easily ran the route tree asked of him. Just like his initial pro-day on March 31st, Boehringer looked very natural." Per NFL.com, the Patriots, Packers, Vikings, Broncos and Chiefs are among the more interested parties here. Boehringer has likely turned himself into a Day 3 selection.

Source: TFY Draft Insider 
Apr 10 - 6:53 PM
Somebody should tell those teams petekrum from the internet says they are wasting their time. :P

Lol so true. 

Watching his highlights the competition is about a D-3 college level, but... This guy is really fast. And big, hard to bring down. Maybe would make a better TE in the NFL (I don't see a lot of precise route running probably because he doesn't need it to create separation against the competition). 
reminds me of Matt Jones..

What do you think Matt Jones' stats would have been for his career if he could have avoided drugs? His fourth year he was actually on pace for an 80-1000+ season before the suspension that ended his career. 

Matt Jones minus drugs might actually be a FF viable WR. That said Matt Jones while raw as a WR was familiar with SEC level football. 

I've called them and tried to tell them that, but so far they have not listened.
I'm just messing around. Odds are you'll still end up being right about him in the end, but it does look like he has some momentum to make it to some training camp as an UDFA singing at least - and maybe even find a team willing to use a sixth or seventh round flier on him.

He was on the NFL network this morning, apparently he played Safety in Germany.  Daniel Jeremiah asked how that went and he was basically like, "It was incredibly easy.  Too easy.  The QBs in Germany are just so bad."  While it was a funny exchange, the idea of a 6' 4" 227lb safety with speed wouldn't be the worst thing if it turns out his route running is crap.  I'd love to see him compared with some of the best prospects though.  Maybe at Gruden's WR camp or something, have him run routes with Treadwell and Coleman and compare them.

From his tape his routes look like crap, but he didn't have to run crisp routes to get separation.  It would be awesome if he does well, but I definitely think it would take a while.

steelers1080 said:
He was on the NFL network this morning, apparently he played Safety in Germany.  Daniel Jeremiah asked how that went and he was basically like, "It was incredibly easy.  Too easy.  The QBs in Germany are just so bad."  While it was a funny exchange, the idea of a 6' 4" 227lb safety with speed wouldn't be the worst thing if it turns out his route running is crap.  I'd love to see him compared with some of the best prospects though.  Maybe at Gruden's WR camp or something, have him run routes with Treadwell and Coleman and compare them.

From his tape his routes look like crap, but he didn't have to run crisp routes to get separation.  It would be awesome if he does well, but I definitely think it would take a while.
I don't think anyone would expect him to run the type of routes that Treadwell or Coleman, but route running is coachable.  At his Pro-Day he was able to show teams that he could beat the press and catch the ball well which is a good start for a guy expected to be raw.  If he can prove that he is coachable I'd be surprised if he isn't taken on day 3.

I don't think anyone would expect him to run the type of routes that Treadwell or Coleman, but route running is coachable.  At his Pro-Day he was able to show teams that he could beat the press and catch the ball well which is a good start for a guy expected to be raw.  If he can prove that he is coachable I'd be surprised if he isn't taken on day 3.
Agreed, I think a lot of people in here missed some off the comments about how he performed well in the WR drills. Everyone knows he is raw, but I think all the visits came from the fact that it was reported he did well at the position drills and was able to learn quickly at the drills. We all know he is ridiculously raw and played against scrubs, but his numbers were off the chart, i.e. better or as good as every single WR at the combine. I have no doubt he'll get drafted/get signed right away as an UDFA. I don't think he'd have multiple team visits if he didn't show enough to be drafted.

German WR Moritz Boehringer visited Kansas City, Minneapolis and Green Bay last week and Los Angeles on Monday-Tuesday.

Next up, Boehringer flies to Seattle to visit the Seahawks. Next week, he has official visits to New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina. Boehringer is so new to football that he didn't know who Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells was, even as Parcells looked on last Friday at his open workout. Former NFL scouts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks compare Boehringer to the New York Jets' Eric Decker and former Tennessee Titans WR Drew Bennett. NFL.com reports that the Vikings have showed the most interest. What's cool about that is Adrian Peterson is Boehringer's favorite player. Boehringer also chose 84 in the German Football League because of Randy Moss.

At this point I'd think that the question is where he gets drafted, not if.  O/U for me is mid 5 to start of 6.  Anything there or after is sort of expected.  Anything before that and I'll be targeting him in dyno drafts.

As a QB, yes.

He was drafted for his freakish athleticism. He had never run a route against an SEC defense. Had never broke a press from an SEC CB.
Matt Jones is a good comp. I would give him the football IQ huge jump since he played QB in the SEC, but you are correct, he was very raw as a WR. Das WR has a bit of a jump due to playing WR before, but still behind.

That said, Matt Jones was a first round pick and honestly might have been a decent wide receiver if he hadn't been Josh Gordon before Josh Gordon. Jones was on his way to an 80-1000+ season in his 4th year before he got suspended for 3 games and never played another game.

Das WR is likely a 5th rounder at best and that is if someone likes him a lot and reaches. I am betting 7th rounder.

Took him yesterday at 5.08 in a rookie draft. I figure at that point I am throwing darts at anybody, might as well go with the athletic upside.

Media's Lance Zierlein thinks German WR Moritz Boehringer is a sleeper.
"Boehringer is a hands-catcher with every trait imaginable, but how he handles the journey toward learning the position as he transitions to the NFL is what will make or break him," Zierlein wrote. "If he keeps improving and playing to his traits, look out." The 6-foot-4 1/2, 225-pound receiver with freakish athleticism runs the 40 in the high 4.3s-low 4.4s range. He's been compared to the New York Jets' Eric Decker and former Tennessee Titans WR Drew Bennett.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 18 - 11:47 PM

Why Decker and Bennett? Because they are tall and white?

Lazy.

I hope the Raiders take him in the 5th and let him learn behind Cooper and Crabtree.

Jones was 6'6", 220 lbs. and ran a sub-4.4 40.

That was who I thought of, too, a mash up of Jones and Jordy Nelson (MoBo is bigger, faster, quicker and more explosive) PHYSICALLY and ATHLETICALLY. But it is hard to overstate the challenges he will face knowing so few positional nuances compared to his US born peers who grew up living and breathing football. If highly motivated, mature and disciplined (i.e. - the anti-Manziel), that can help. In the article above from MMQB, it talked about how Garcon and Boldin are taking him under their wing (run through route cuts at 80% speed to be more in control, he assumed it was done at full sprint).

Realistically, he is a long shot to ever amount to anything, I think most realize that. To date, Christian Okoye is still probably the best example that it can be done (albeit at a different position). He came a long ways in just about a half decade from never having played the game through Azusa Pacific and the Chiefs, rushing for nearly 1,500 yards (2 receptions :)  ) in his career best year. If he had been born in the US, no telling what he could have done. Especially if he learned to run around and not just through tacklers, he might not have had such an Earl Campbell-like basically half decade career (like Rutger Hauer in Bladerunner, though their days were numbered, they burned so very bright). Okoye was in range of inches for Olympic medal contention in the discus, but excluded for political reasons in his native Nigeria (and I think not yet a US citizen), yet reportedly ran a sub-4.4 at 265 lbs. That isn't human, that is a cartoon character, it was comical how much broader his shoulders were than everybody else.     

A Football Life (VIDEO 42 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DYFLa3jK4

I'm hoping Seattle takes a long look at the guy.  Pete Carroll could even convert him to CB if the WR skills don't totally translate.

I'm hoping Seattle takes a long look at the guy.  Pete Carroll could even convert him to CB if the WR skills don't totally translate.
As hard as its gonna be for this guy to make it as a WR, making the transition at CB would be virtually impossible. Safety maybe but not CB.

As hard as its gonna be for this guy to make it as a WR, making the transition at CB would be virtually impossible. Safety maybe but not CB.
Why would you say that?  If he understands route concepts, has good speed, good acceleration, and is long-armed it's the same conversion Richard Sherman made his junior year in college.  I realize there's a learning curve here but I think you're overstating the difficulty when you say "virtually impossible".  Perhaps it's more unlikely that a team would be interested in him as a conversion project and would keep him in his natural position simply because there would be a lower investment to get him on the field.

Why would you say that?  If he understands route concepts, has good speed, good acceleration, and is long-armed it's the same conversion Richard Sherman made his junior year in college.  I realize there's a learning curve here but I think you're overstating the difficulty when you say "virtually impossible".  Perhaps it's more unlikely that a team would be interested in him as a conversion project and would keep him in his natural position simply because there would be a lower investment to get him on the field.
You have to understand, it's gonna be a miracle if this guys makes the league at his natural position, which is why the prospect of asking him the convert to probably one of the hardest positions to play against the best WRs in the world at the highest level is virtually impossible.

Depends...if you mean from TE to WR, none come to mind (Niles Paul went the other way around). 

If you mean from any other position to WR, though, Hines Ward was a converted QB.  So was Antwaan Randle El, though his career was somewhat less storied than Ward's.  Braxton Miller may be on his way to a similar career arc.

TE does seem to be the most common position for basketball players to convert to football players at.  Although the baseball guys seem to become QBs.
I believe Marcus Colston may have been drafted as a TE but I think he was groomed as a WR once Stallworth was traded.

Users who are viewing this thread