What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movies and roles that killed a career (1 Viewer)

Whatever happened to Gene Hackman?  That guy was awesome.
Hadn't thought about it... Per wiki:

Retirement from acting

On July 7, 2004, Hackman gave a rare interview to Larry King, where he announced that with he had no future film projects lined up and believed his acting career was over. In 2008, while promoting his third novel, he confirmed that he had retired from acting.[21] When asked during a GQ interview in 2011 if he would ever come out of retirement to do one more film, he said he might consider it "if I could do it in my own house, maybe, without them disturbing anything and just one or two people."[22] In 2016 he narrated the Smithsonian Channeldocumentary The Unknown Flag Raiser of Iwo Jima.[23]

ETA... His last movie was Welcome to Mooseport with Ray Romano. So I guess you could say that film killed his career

Last edited by a moderator:
I hesitate to post this because while the role didn't "kill" his career per se, I do think that Harrison Ford taking on the Jack Ryan role was a mistake in my opinion.  I'm not a big fan of Alec Baldwin but when I watch The Hunt for Red October, I very much enjoy that movie.  Yes Sean Connery is great but Alec Baldwin nails the Jack Ryan character to me.  I didn't read the novels but I gathered Jack Ryan's character to be young, brave, calm, intelligent, etc. and Baldwin seems all that in that role.  Harrison Ford was all of those things in the Star Wars and Raider's movies - young, confident, brave, intelligent, etc.  

By the time Ford did Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games, honestly, to me he felt like a frail old man.  He seemed like he was startled half the movie.  Every time there's an explosion or loud noise, he seems like he's ready to crap his pants.   I always feel like I want to pat the dude on the back and say "it's okay man, it's just a movie, it'll be okay - please don't be upset buddy!"  I don't get the "yeah, come on let's go kill bad guys vibe."  Instead I get the same feeling I get when I see an old guy with a walker navigating an escalator - it's like "omg, omg, please don't fall, please be careful, I can't watch, I can't watch. . . oh thank God he made it without falling!"

Mike Myers - The Love Guru

Guy was scorching hot after Wayne's World and Austin Powers and that movie absolutely nuked his career. He hasn't had another lead role since that I can recall. 
His last role was playing a British host of The New Gong Show.

I hesitate to post this because while the role didn't "kill" his career per se, I do think that Harrison Ford taking on the Jack Ryan role was a mistake in my opinion.  I'm not a big fan of Alec Baldwin but when I watch The Hunt for Red October, I very much enjoy that movie.  Yes Sean Connery is great but Alec Baldwin nails the Jack Ryan character to me.  I didn't read the novels but I gathered Jack Ryan's character to be young, brave, calm, intelligent, etc. and Baldwin seems all that in that role.  Harrison Ford was all of those things in the Star Wars and Raider's movies - young, confident, brave, intelligent, etc.  

By the time Ford did Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games, honestly, to me he felt like a frail old man.  He seemed like he was startled half the movie.  Every time there's an explosion or loud noise, he seems like he's ready to crap his pants.   I always feel like I want to pat the dude on the back and say "it's okay man, it's just a movie, it'll be okay - please don't be upset buddy!"  I don't get the "yeah, come on let's go kill bad guys vibe."  Instead I get the same feeling I get when I see an old guy with a walker navigating an escalator - it's like "omg, omg, please don't fall, please be careful, I can't watch, I can't watch. . . oh thank God he made it without falling!"
As a big fan of the Jack Ryan series, I think that Ford's Ryan captures the essence of what Clancy was trying to portray very well.
Jack Ryan is not a gung-ho "let's go kill bad guys" type of fella. That's John Clark. Jack Ryan is a normal American, who is better than most people, who tries to do the right and moral thing and while Ryan exemplifies bravery under fire, he never is cavalier about danger.

I thought that Ford was great as Ryan, although I've never watched the Sum of All Fears disaster, so can only compare him to Baldwin.

Pulp fiction, 12 monkeys,  Armageddon  and sixth sense all came out after this and were huge movies for him. Add the Die Hard sequels and his career was hardly dead after Hudson hawk. 
Well, yeah, but just think how big his career would’ve been if he hadn’t done Hudson Hawk.  :whistle:

Duly busted. I have no idea why that movie even popped into my head.

Cutthroat Island - killed Geena Davis and Mathew Modine's career's as well as a movie studio and pirate movies in general until Depp resurrected them in Pirates of the Caribbean. Davis and Modine both continued to work here and there, but nothing compared to what they were before that movie.

Pretty sure he was considering retirement at the time no matter what.

LOTR was a minimum 3 film commitment.

The Matrix was not a film he should have been in.

LOEG was bad despite him.

Connery can return to acting any time he likes and be offered tons of roles just because of who he is. The excuse he gave for retiring was just that, an excuse to get people off his back. He doesn’t want to come back.
I always heard he retired because he  still felt he was a leading man and he just wasn't getting those roles anymore....he was only getting secondary roles. 

kevin conster has been in a lot of stuff since then jeez you guys are nuts by the time of for love of the game he was in his mid 40s he led in open range in 2003 and by then he was 48 he did a great job in hatfield and mccoys in 2012 and was in his mid 50s guys get real there is a point that what is killing a guys lead roleness is his age it happen jeez lois take that to the bank bromigos 

and one other thing just because you are no longer a leading man does not mean you have a ruined carreer jeez you guys must be great at parties remember that season mj did not win the title it totally ruined his carrer wow take that to the bank 

Speaking of Star Wars, is there a more hated actor than Ahmed Best?  
One of the nice things about doing a character that is either a voice or in a face-hiding costume is that if the movie fails, no one has to know you did the part. Most people would never know him if they heard him in another movie.

Edward Norton was getting comparisons to Pacino/De Niro until he single handedly killed The Incredible Hulk. 

He has had a couple decent supporting roles since then--Moonrise Kingdom, Birdman--but nowhere near his previous level. 

Users who are viewing this thread