What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MTV's The Challenge (and other reality shows) (3 Viewers)

Being a purge I would have liked to see that one done with everyone sequestered and timed separately.    After watching paulie (no I'm not a fan) everyone knew they could just coast and take their time, pretty much the opposite of what TJ wanted them to do.   That said Paulie is an idiot for diving head first off that first platform, pretty sure that's what did him in.

Did they explain why Mattie moved on over Da'von?  Neither finished but from the footage they showed, it looked like Da'von climbed up higher when going back.  Not sure what the criteria was.  Maybe we talked over it, as we tend to do with these shows.  But none of us heard why Mattie advanced over Da'von.

That said Paulie is an idiot for diving head first off that first platform, pretty sure that's what did him in.
Yeah that was really stupid.   Showboating cost him $750K. The final with all the running and endurance looks tailor made for him to coast.

Yeah that was really stupid.   Showboating cost him $750K. The final with all the running and endurance looks tailor made for him to coast.
Was it showboating?  I only ask because when he dove head first I thought, "Ooo.  Smart move.  You can cover more ground with momentum underwater."  It wasn't until he said it was a bad idea during his interview that I thought, "Hmm.  Maybe diving with a helmet from that high isn't a good idea after all."

Was it showboating?  I only ask because when he dove head first I thought, "Ooo.  Smart move.  You can cover more ground with momentum underwater."  It wasn't until he said it was a bad idea during his interview that I thought, "Hmm.  Maybe diving with a helmet from that high isn't a good idea after all."
I don't know, it did look cool though.   It was pretty high from our view already, can't imagine that looked like a short jump from the actual person's perspective.    You don't see guys diving head first off of smaller cliff jumps too often.  Just seemed like an unnecessary risk for an extra 20 feet.

I don't know, it did look cool though.   It was pretty high from our view already, can't imagine that looked like a short jump from the actual person's perspective.    You don't see guys diving head first off of smaller cliff jumps too often.  Just seemed like an unnecessary risk for an extra 20 feet.
Yeah, I can't recall someone doing it from that high before on one of these shows.  I can think of a million times on Survivor where people don't dive off a 3 foot platform and I'm yelling at my TV while sitting on the couch eating an entire bag of potato chips.  But that's a good point about the height.  

Yeah, I can't recall someone doing it from that high before on one of these shows.  I can think of a million times on Survivor where people don't dive off a 3 foot platform and I'm yelling at my TV while sitting on the couch eating an entire bag of potato chips.  But that's a good point about the height.  
Theo pinching his nose like a little pansy when he jumped in was a nice touch.

I remember one season on Survior a dude dove head first with some goggles on and the goggles smashed and cut his face all up.   All the Survivor "superfans" are probably thinking about that.  Or they just aren't as good of athletes as you or me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theo pinching his nose like a little pansy when he jumped in was a nice touch.

I remember one season on Survior a dude dove head first with some goggles on and the goggles smashed and cut his face all up.   All the Survivor "superfans" are probably thinking about that.  Or they just aren't as good of athletes as you or me.
That dude was proof that bad luck existed.  That was the same guy who passed out onto the fire in Season 2.  He had like a black cloud over him.   :lol:

Smart.  Nothing worse than the salt water going places you don't want it to go.  At the very beginning of the event no less.
If you jump in feet first, there's almost zero chance of water going up your nose.  I don't understand why people hold their nose when they jump in water.  Unless they are breathing in when they hit the water, I feel like the physics is impossible.  I've never had water go up my nose and I've never had to pinch my nose when jumping in water.  :shrug:

If you jump in feet first, there's almost zero chance of water going up your nose.  I don't understand why people hold their nose when they jump in water.  Unless they are breathing in when they hit the water, I feel like the physics is impossible.  I've never had water go up my nose and I've never had to pinch my nose when jumping in water.  :shrug:
I think there's a panic type factor when jumping from heights like that, no?  When you jump from the side of a pool, you're right, nothing to worry about.  Rather be safe than sorry. 

Did they explain why Mattie moved on over Da'von?  Neither finished but from the footage they showed, it looked like Da'von climbed up higher when going back.  Not sure what the criteria was.  Maybe we talked over it, as we tend to do with these shows.  But none of us heard why Mattie advanced over Da'von.
They said whoever got the furthest the fastest.  Maybe they had various checkpoints and Mattie got to the same checkpoint in a faster time?   :shrug:  

I think there's a panic type factor when jumping from heights like that, no?  When you jump from the side of a pool, you're right, nothing to worry about.  Rather be safe than sorry. 
It could very well be.  I could see that.  I was more talking about the people on Survivor who jump off the platform or a three foot ladder into the water.  I would say about 98% of the females do it.  But, yes, maybe jumping from that high makes people think water could go up their noses.

They said whoever got the furthest the fastest.  Maybe they had various checkpoints and Mattie got to the same checkpoint in a faster time?   :shrug:  
Ok.  Yeah, we totally missed them saying that.  I like Mattie so I was hoping she'd get a chance to run in the final.  It's going to be interesting to see all of these rookies in the finals.  Wes was 100% correct when he said they had no idea what they were in for.  

Poor Georgia dehydrated and DQs a couple miles in :(

Maddie quits a couple miles later :(  

3 man race between Wes/Turbo/Theo

That was brutal.  Seemed like Georgia figured out too late about walking the bike up the hills.  Gotta be a twist with this elimination to at least give one of the women a chance, right?

Georgia must have been in some awful shape bc they let Ninja Natalie continue after she passed out

Going to guess Hunter voluntarily quits during the tribunal thinking he's going to be voted out/knowing he's not got a shot anyway.

These girls don't have a shot out there. 

I thought Wes was supposed to be good at puzzles. Kind of screwed himself over there. I think he timed out on 4 of the 5.

Good to see they brought back the badass finales.    Last season was a complete joke compared to this (it was a joke regardless).

TJ giving life lessons to Maddie about smoking was pretty funny.

I love me some Mattie, but she needs to be a little less party down south, and a little more party on the treadmill. 

Good to see they brought back the badass finales.    Last season was a complete joke compared to this (it was a joke regardless).

TJ giving life lessons to Maddie about smoking was pretty funny.
Those rookies had no clue what was coming their way.  :lol:

"Is Bear here?"

The lights were on but no one was home.
Although I give Ninja Natalie a lot of credit.  When she went down off the bike, her eyes rolled back into her head.  So she was legit out, as well.  Not criticizing either because that was a rough stage, but NN was beast mode.

Also, I was disappointed that MTV didn't throw up a "Current Temperature: XX" in the corner of the screen every so often.  I know it's the desert.   And I know it's hot.  But 90 degrees is hot.  And so is 120 degrees.  Huge difference.  When I was in the Sahara, we hit 130 a couple of days.  I couldn't imagine running 12 yards, let alone 12 miles. 

I was surprised while watching that nobody wore a hat.  Against uniform rules / not allowed?  There were a couple bandanas.  Wes using SPF 10,000?

TURBO!!!!  Guy deserved it. Played zero political game. Just kicked everyone's ###. Competitors better hope he doesn't want to come back :lol:  

Wes did well to finish 3rd in the season. Only shot he had to win is if there was a lengthy swim involved.

Looking forward to the reunion where we see Johnny Bananas make up excuses for another pathetic showing. Dude is toast. Politically and physically.

Not only did he win, he helped people during the finals.  Dude was a beast.  

I hope he comes back.  I don't think you can go multiple seasons without playing the political game. 

Not only did he win, he helped people during the finals.  Dude was a beast.  

I hope he comes back.  I don't think you can go multiple seasons without playing the political game. 
When he went down with a leg cramp in the first part and told his body "No, i'm sorry body, you listen to me"....bad...###.

He basically finished on one leg.  I was as happy for him as I was Theo not winning.

Also, :lmao:  at Hunter.

"I can promise you that no one wants this more than me".  Proceeds to give up.  It's the millennial way.

stoked for Turbo, probably my favorite all season. he seems like a huge dork, but can also tear your head off. and he seems like a good dude, and everybody seems to love him. I think he'll be back, but agree that it won't be as easy for him next time.

my favorite part of the whole finale was the 3 guys getting in the chopper and leaving Ninja Turtle Natalie alone on the back. good, she sucks.

If finishing 4th and not winning a penny weren't bad enough, they left her there. Anyone ever go back to pick her up? :excited:

3 of the 4 finishers were rookies. Top 2 rookies. Was a terrible season for vets.....who I'm sure will hog the reunion. Not sure turbo will provide them more than a few seconds of content for the reunion

I hate to say this, but that reunion was terrible.  And I blame it on political correctness and social media.  No one wants to upset the social media lunatics so almost every segment on that 2 hour reunion was people apologizing for what they said or did.  Dumb.  Only Bananas and Wes hate each other enough that they kept going at each other.  And they were only on screen for 3 minutes and saying the same digs to each other.  

The Ashley/Paulie thing could've been cool, but it's all just so much bark with them.  Especially Paulie.  Throw a punch already or sit the hell down.  I watch this show for the drama, not the apologizing and seeing how close two dudes can get their faces together without kissing or breaking into laughter.

I hate to say this, but that reunion was terrible.  And I blame it on political correctness and social media.  No one wants to upset the social media lunatics so almost every segment on that 2 hour reunion was people apologizing for what they said or did.  Dumb.  Only Bananas and Wes hate each other enough that they kept going at each other.  And they were only on screen for 3 minutes and saying the same digs to each other.  

The Ashley/Paulie thing could've been cool, but it's all just so much bark with them.  Especially Paulie.  Throw a punch already or sit the hell down.  I watch this show for the drama, not the apologizing and seeing how close two dudes can get their faces together without kissing or breaking into laughter.
I was thinking Paulie and Ash might kiss. They did the head tilt and were like an inch or two from locking lips. I’ve not seen a guy do a head tilt so he can get his mouth closer to just yell at someone before.

Double Shot of Love's ending was awesome.  I was pleasantly surprised by that show.  :lol:

I've heard some rumors about the upcoming Challenge season but nothing confirmed.  It's currently filming, so it could start any week now.

War of the Worlds 2 premieres August 28th!
Looks like it's moving to 8pm, which means it will go against Survivor head to head.  Not sure that really matters as much in the days of DVR, but still interesting considering MTV tends to believe they are a competitor of Survivor.  I doubt Survivor feels that way (yet, anyway) about The Challenge.

Also, it looks like episodes will go from 60 to 90 minutes, which is nice.  And Laurel is coming back.  Wonder if it will be nice Laurel or evil Laurel.  The latter would make much better TV.  And of course, Wes and Johnny are back.  And Turbo.

Not sure I totally understand the formula this season, but it sounds like there are 4 players who will be free agents.  CT, Ninja, Dee and Turbo.  Not sure how all that works in.  There are some MAJOR spoilers online, so I've been very careful searching for any information on this season.  

It all starts in 2 weeks!

Kicks off tonight, but probably like last season, I won't get to watch the episode until Thursdays.  

On a side note, I just read an article that Theo was hit in the eye with a cork and is now blind in one eye.  Didn't happen on the show.  Looks like it just happened.  Poor guy.

Users who are viewing this thread