What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (1 Viewer)

Finishing out the day. Was busy painting the walls with my wife. No, not the fun, euphemistic, double entendre kind. The actual kind. :kicksrock:  Upside is that the basement looks nice and updated now.

70. You Can't Hurry Love - Phil Collins - November

First recorded (of course) by The Supreme, Collins's version reached number-one on the UK Singles Chart (becoming his first number-one solo hit in the UK Singles Chart, and peaking two positions higher than the original song did in that country), and reached number 10 in the United States.

"You Can't Hurry Love" was inspired by and partially based upon "(You Can't Hurry God) He's Right on Time" ("You can't hurry God/you just have to wait/Trust and give him time/no matter how long it takes"), a 1950s gospel song written by Dorothy Love Coates of The Original Gospel Harmonettes.

Collins explained:

The idea of doing 'Can't Hurry Love' was to see if Hugh Padgham and I could duplicate that Sixties sound. It's very difficult today because most recording facilities are so much more sophisticated than they were back then. It's therefore hard to make the drums sound as rough as they did on the original. That's what we were going after, a remake, not an interpretation, but a remake."

69. Dirty Laundry - Don Henley - October

The song hit number 1 on the Billboard Top Album Tracks chart in October 1982, prior to being issued as a 45 rpm single.

According to Wikipedia, The song was inspired by the intrusive press coverage surrounding the deaths of John Belushi and Natalie Wood, and Henley's own arrest in 1980 when he was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and possession of marijuana, cocaine, and Quaaludes after paramedics treated a 16-year-old female who was subsequently suffering from drug intoxication at his Los Angeles home.

There are some very interesting guitar contributions on this song: Danny Kortchmar played the basic parts, Joe Walsh did the first guitar solo, and Steve Lukather (there he is again!) did the second solo. According to Lukather, who is a member of the band Toto, he did his solo in one take and it's one of his favorites.

68. Talk Talk - Talk Talk - ???

In this song, Mark Hollis of Talk Talk sing sings about the anxiety and torment that is bearing down upon him. Communication, especially talking, is a common theme for Hollis, who was notoriously terse and enigmatic in interviews.

Mark Hollis first recorded this song in 1977 when he was in a band called The Reaction. The original version ("Talk Talk Talk Talk") was more political, with the lines:

Society was bringing me down
Well, politicians, they keep talking in rhymes

69. Dirty Laundry - Don Henley - October

The song hit number 1 on the Billboard Top Album Tracks chart in October 1982, prior to being issued as a 45 rpm single.

According to Wikipedia, The song was inspired by the intrusive press coverage surrounding the deaths of John Belushi and Natalie Wood, and Henley's own arrest in 1980 when he was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and possession of marijuana, cocaine, and Quaaludes after paramedics treated a 16-year-old female who was subsequently suffering from drug intoxication at his Los Angeles home.

There are some very interesting guitar contributions on this song: Danny Kortchmar played the basic parts, Joe Walsh did the first guitar solo, and Steve Lukather (there he is again!) did the second solo. According to Lukather, who is a member of the band Toto, he did his solo in one take and it's one of his favorites.
:towelwave:

In this song, Mark Hollis of Talk Talk sing sings about the anxiety and torment that is bearing down upon him. Communication, especially talking, is a common theme for Hollis, who was notoriously terse and enigmatic in interviews.

Mark Hollis first recorded this song in 1977 when he was in a band called The Reaction. The original version ("Talk Talk Talk Talk") was more political, with the lines:

Way up there with in the rankings of songs titled after themselves.

67. I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow

"I Want Candy" is a song written and originally recorded by the Strangeloves in 1965 that reached No. 11 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. 

Lead singer Annabella Lwin is actually of Burmese descent. She was scouted as a 13 year old from a dry cleaners, where she was singing along to the radio, in West Hampstead.

Bow Wow Wow signed with EMI Records in July 1980, and released their first single, "C·30 C·60 C·90 Go!", shortly afterwards. Originally only released on cassette, it was the world's first-ever cassette single.

Last edited by a moderator:

"I Want Candy" is a song written and originally recorded by the Strangeloves in 1965 that reached No. 11 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. 

Lead singer Annabella Lwin is actually of Burmese descent. She was scouted as a 13 year old from a dry cleaners, where she was singing along to the radio, in West Hampstead.

Bow Wow Wow signed with EMI Records in July 1980, and released their first single, "C·30 C·60 C·90 Go!", shortly afterwards. Originally only released on cassette, it was the world's first-ever cassette single.

unnnnhh

How is this higher than Henley?

59 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Expand  
How is this higher than Henley?
Ranked by higher mohawk.

Andy Dufresne said:
72. Any Day Now - Ronnie Milsap - April

First recorded by Chuck Jackson, an R&B singer born in South Carolina in 1937; it reached number twenty-three in 1962 with the title "Any Day Now (My Wild Beautiful Bird)" and spent six weeks in the Top 40.

Elvis Presley recorded a cover version of "Any Day Now". Although not released as a single in its own right, the song appeared as the B-side to Presley's No. 3 US pop hit "In the Ghetto".

Milsap's version peaked at No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, spending nine weeks in the Top 40. In addition, this version went to No. 1 on both the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart (for one week) as well as the Hot Adult Contemporary Singles chart (for five weeks). It also went to No. 1 on the Canadian Country and Adult Contemporary Chart for three weeks.

Milsap's producer, Tom Collins, encouraged Milsap to make the song sound different from the original by Chuck Jackson. As a result, Milsap recorded it in a different key and sang it softly.

I can’t see this song being on this list🤭

66. Someday, Someway - Marshall Crenshaw - May

Retro rocker Robert Gordon was the first to record this tune, taking the song to #76 in 1981, then Crenshaw's own version made #36 the next year. Though his self-titled debut album was acclaimed as a pop masterpiece upon release, this song was to be his only Billboard Top 40 hit. However he has continued to record over the next few decades and has also had some success in Hollywood, appearing in the film Peggy Sue Got Married as well as portraying Buddy Holly in La Bamba.

Speaking to American Songwriter magazine, Crenshaw described the writing of this song as an 'Eureka' moment. He said: "By this time I'd already written '(You're My) Favorite Waste of Time' and some other good ones, but I really thought that "Someday" was a breakthrough. I liked that it had this hypnotic riff-type basis; I'd used the basic groove to 'Lotta Lovin' by Gene Vincent as a starting point, thought that that was cool. And I liked the lyrics, they were nice and spare but had some depth, lots of possible meanings and implications, etc. There was something kind of mysterious about it and I liked that. It was one of those ones that came out in a rush."

I like the jangly, 50's vibe it has.

not complaining, but would have put it A LOT higher - definitive 80s ...in a great way.   :wub:

hmmm ...hot, half-shaved head punker girl who gives off the vibe that she would love to pleasure you orally while you're driving your crappy Vega wagon while also acting as your shroom dealer.  
I’m happy to say she is/was a few years older than I am/was, so there’s nothing nefarious in thinking that way now or back then.  :headbang:

65. What Do All The People Know - The Monroes - ???

"What Do All the People Know" generated a local buzz around the San Diego area, and it was selected as the first single released from the group's self-titled EP, completed in 1982. They then toured with the likes of Toto, Greg Kihn, and Rick Springfield while their single climbed the charts. However, as the band was pondering ideas for their first music video, they found out that their Japan-based record label Alfa was abandoning its US market. Without the backing of a label, they were left with no promotion, and the band's single and mini-album quickly fell off the charts.

Bob "Monroe" Davis, the band's bassist, gave Blurt Magazine the backstory on their signature hit: "The [title] itself, 'What Do All The People Know,' I owe to my dear ol' Mum. She grew up on the lower east side of Manhattan and was always concerned with what other folks thought. Ya know, she'd say to me, 'People don't do that' or 'Who does that?' when something I did wasn't what she considered the norm. A funny example comes to mind: it's a Woody Allen movie, perhaps Annie Hall. During this particular scene, he's in the middle of an argument with Diane Keaton and he [suddenly] notices she's putting mayonnaise on corned beef. He stops arguing and [says], 'Mayonnaise on corned beef?' You might not have to be a New Yorker to grasp the subtlety of that brilliant piece of comedy - but if you are, you totally understand what I'm talking about. Thus it was with my Mom and so the inspiration for the line, 'What Do All The People Know.'"

64. Run to the Hills/The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden - February/April

a) The cover art for the single featured a Native American with an axe wrestling a devil in Hell. Considering the lyrics, this caused some controversy, as many interpreted this to mean the band was suggesting that the imperialistic whites were devils.

b) This song was influenced by the 1978 movie Damien: Omen II, which is about a 13-year-old Antichrist. It was written by Iron Maiden bass player Steve Harris, who explained: "Basically, this song is about a dream. It's not about devil worship."

Before the music starts, this opens with an a cappella quote from The Book of Revelation. The band wanted the horror film actor Vincent Price to read this intro, but he wanted more money than they were willing to pay (a year later, Price lent his voice to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"). The quote was read by an unknown thespian actor who had no interest in the band.

In a concert at New York's Palladium on June 29, 1982 (which is heavily bootlegged), Bruce Dickinson said: "Just want to say to all the people who play records backwards and burn albums out in the streets, they can go and get... stick their heads up their #### or something like that, 'cause... we ain't interested."

65. What Do All The People Know - The Monroes - ???

"What Do All the People Know" generated a local buzz around the San Diego area, and it was selected as the first single released from the group's self-titled EP, completed in 1982. They then toured with the likes of Toto, Greg Kihn, and Rick Springfield while their single climbed the charts. However, as the band was pondering ideas for their first music video, they found out that their Japan-based record label Alfa was abandoning its US market. Without the backing of a label, they were left with no promotion, and the band's single and mini-album quickly fell off the charts.

Bob "Monroe" Davis, the band's bassist, gave Blurt Magazine the backstory on their signature hit: "The [title] itself, 'What Do All The People Know,' I owe to my dear ol' Mum. She grew up on the lower east side of Manhattan and was always concerned with what other folks thought. Ya know, she'd say to me, 'People don't do that' or 'Who does that?' when something I did wasn't what she considered the norm. A funny example comes to mind: it's a Woody Allen movie, perhaps Annie Hall. During this particular scene, he's in the middle of an argument with Diane Keaton and he [suddenly] notices she's putting mayonnaise on corned beef. He stops arguing and [says], 'Mayonnaise on corned beef?' You might not have to be a New Yorker to grasp the subtlety of that brilliant piece of comedy - but if you are, you totally understand what I'm talking about. Thus it was with my Mom and so the inspiration for the line, 'What Do All The People Know.'"

Great pick - love this song. I used to hear it a fair amount when I used to listen to commercial AOR radio, but not so much any more. 

a) The cover art for the single featured a Native American with an axe wrestling a devil in Hell. Considering the lyrics, this caused some controversy, as many interpreted this to mean the band was suggesting that the imperialistic whites were devils.

b) This song was influenced by the 1978 movie Damien: Omen II, which is about a 13-year-old Antichrist. It was written by Iron Maiden bass player Steve Harris, who explained: "Basically, this song is about a dream. It's not about devil worship."

Before the music starts, this opens with an a cappella quote from The Book of Revelation. The band wanted the horror film actor Vincent Price to read this intro, but he wanted more money than they were willing to pay (a year later, Price lent his voice to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"). The quote was read by an unknown thespian actor who had no interest in the band.

In a concert at New York's Palladium on June 29, 1982 (which is heavily bootlegged), Bruce Dickinson said: "Just want to say to all the people who play records backwards and burn albums out in the streets, they can go and get... stick their heads up their #### or something like that, 'cause... we ain't interested."

You could pick anything from the album and be 100% spot on here.

Needs more cowbell.

What Do All The People Know gets played quite often here in MSP for some reason. 

For a long time, I thought it was a lesser known Yes or Chicago song. 

63. Mickey - Toni Basil - ???

This was originally recorded as "Kitty" by a group called Racey, which released it in 1979. In the original lyric, Kitty is a girl. Toni Basil changed the title from "Kitty" to "Mickey" and the gender from female to male. Basil choreographed the 1968 Monkees movie Head, but insists the song is not named after group member Micky Dolenz. She also says there's nothing dirty about the song - it's just a chipper tune about a girl who really digs a guy.

Rock critic Robert Christgau commented on the perceived 'obscene' content of the lyric "So come on and give it to me / Any way you can / Any way you want to do it / I'll take it like a man". Christgau wrote in a review at the time that Basil "was the only woman ever to offer to take it up the ### on Top 40 radio." However, Basil adamantly denies this: "NO! That's ridiculous. People read #### into everything. It's not about anything dirty. You change the name from boy to girl" — i.e., from "Mickey" to "Kitty" — "and they read anything they want into it! When it's a guy singing about a girl, it's a sweet line. But when a girl sings it, it must mean butt-#######! This is how the wrong foot gets cut off when the doc wheels you into the E.R. Then it's Micky Dolenz and butt-#######." :lmao:

The single scored number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 for one week and number two in the UK Singles Chart. The song was Basil's only Top 40 success. It was named No. 5 on VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of All Time, No. 16 on 20 to 1's Top 20 One Hit Wonders Countdown and No. 57 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '80s. It has also appeared on multiple greatest or best lists and countdowns.

Okay, listen. I'm not ever driving around with the windows down singing along to Mickey. But as far as "sounds of the 80's" go, it's tougher to get more so than this song. It is catchy and the video is weird enough to be fun. So it has to be included on the list and should probably be higher. But I just can't do that. 

62. The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats - 

The writer/lead singer, Ivan Doroschuk, has explained that "The Safety Dance" is a protest against bouncers prohibiting dancers from pogoing to 1980s new wave music in clubs when disco was declining and new wave was coming in. Unlike disco dancing, which is done with partners, new wave dancing is done individually and involves holding the torso rigid while thrashing about; pogoing involves jumping up and down (the more deliberately violent evolution of pogoing is slamdancing). Clubgoers doing the newer pogo dance were perceived as posing a danger to disco dancers on the dance floor, and so club bouncers would tell pogoers to stop or be kicked out of the club. Thus, the song is a protest and a call for freedom of expression.

Same with this one. I've mostly come to dislike this song. But it is so dripping with 80's-ness that it has to be featured on this list. 

63. Mickey - Toni Basil - ???

Rock critic Robert Christgau commented on the perceived 'obscene' content of the lyric "So come on and give it to me / Any way you can / Any way you want to do it / I'll take it like a man". Christgau wrote in a review at the time that Basil "was the only woman ever to offer to take it up the ### on Top 40 radio." However, Basil adamantly denies this: "NO! That's ridiculous. People read #### into everything. It's not about anything dirty. You change the name from boy to girl" — i.e., from "Mickey" to "Kitty" — "and they read anything they want into it! When it's a guy singing about a girl, it's a sweet line. But when a girl sings it, it must mean butt-#######! This is how the wrong foot gets cut off when the doc wheels you into the E.R. Then it's Micky Dolenz and butt-#######." :lmao:
I find this story to be much better than the song itself.

Users who are viewing this thread