What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (1 Viewer)

Eileen ranks way up there in the ranks of songs that I once liked, but would be happy never to hear again due to insane overplay.

As for DYRWTHM, I think it still sounds fresh - like that reggae tinge to it. The story between Boy George and Jon Moss is an interesting one. The Culture Club Behind The Music episode was one of the better ones in the series.
Yeah. Hell of a voice on George, but man was (is?) he messed up.

Come On Eileen and Do You Really Want to Hurt Me? are both major 80's classics. I still like both a lot. 

I didn't remember there being as much blackface in the CC video as there is when I saw the video again years later, but I think that is because MTV often showed the shortened version (which cut out the soft intro of the song).   Funny because even though I grew up in a conservative, Catholic household, Boy George's look never looked weird or anything to me; it just looked different. 

A little more trivia on the DYRWTHM video:  Boy George’s shirt reads תַּרְבּוּת אֲגֻדָּה (“Tarbut Aguda”) in Hebrew, which translates (poorly) to Culture Club.

if i had a heavenwish between spending a naked hour w '50s Grace Kelly or singing one song w Kenny Loggins' pipes, i honestly dont know which i'd choose.
Dude, I mean. Just...dude. One song? You can't negotiate more than one song for the nekkid hour with the Porcelain Princess? Ay de mi. I call foul here. 

Dude, I mean. Just...dude. One song? You can't negotiate more than one song for the nekkid hour with the Porcelain Princess? Ay de mi. I call foul here. 
well, i done the thing i'd do to porcelain before, but i aint never been able to make all the notes of which i could conceive, more possible from the Loggins voicebox than from any other i know offhand.

I'm not the biggest country music fan - but there are a few. I can remember listening to these next two songs as we traveled down I-94 from Moorhead to the Twin Cities in the days of the 55 MPH speed limit, my sister and I in the back seat of our family's two door 1979 Buick/Opel with no air conditioning. Four hours felt like forty. But these were a fun sing-along.

83. Bobbie Sue - The Oak Ridge Boys - January

Wood Newton recalled the story of the song to The Boot: "I wrote 'Bobbie Sue' with my good friends Dan and Adele Tyler. Dan had a little boy at the time, and one of the first words for a baby is 'ba,' like 'bottle.' So his son was saying 'ba-ba,' and it sparked this idea to write a song about 'ba ba ba ba Bobbie Sue.'

We both come from that era when Memphis was home to Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry and rock 'n' roll: Dan is from McComb, Mississippi, and I'm from Hampton, Arkansas, so you grow up with the same kids in those small towns, and when someone is dating a girl from the county over, it's an exciting thing."

In April, the song became the Oaks' sixth No. 1 single on the Billboard magazine Hot Country Singles chart. In addition to its country success, "Bobbie Sue" also fared well on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 12 on that chart in the spring of 1982.

Last edited by a moderator:
82. Mountain Music - Alabama - February

"Mountain Music," the sixth of an absurd 21 straight No. 1 hits for Alabama, offers fans a taste of the Southern music and rural experiences from cousins Randy Owen, Jeff Cook and Teddy Gentry's childhoods on Sand Mountain.

"It took me three years to write it, and I wanted to get my own experience of growing up in the mountains in the lyrics," Owen wrote in his autobiography, Born Country: How Faith, Family and Music Brought Me Home. "This came together in such very specific lines. Take, for instance, the stanza that begins 'swim across the river, just to prove that I'm a man.' When I was a kid, if you could make it across the Little River and back in one fell swoop, well, that was a big deal. It doesn't look that wide today, but back then it seemed like an Olympian challenge."

Another line lifted from Owen's childhood mentions using regionally prevalent chert rocks (often misheard as "church rocks") as baseballs.

82. Mountain Music - Alabama - February

"Mountain Music," the sixth of an absurd 21 straight No. 1 hits for Alabama, offers fans a taste of the Southern music and rural experiences from cousins Randy Owen, Jeff Cook and Teddy Gentry's childhoods on Sand Mountain.

"It took me three years to write it, and I wanted to get my own experience of growing up in the mountains in the lyrics," Owen wrote in his autobiography, Born Country: How Faith, Family and Music Brought Me Home. "This came together in such very specific lines. Take, for instance, the stanza that begins 'swim across the river, just to prove that I'm a man.' When I was a kid, if you could make it across the Little River and back in one fell swoop, well, that was a big deal. It doesn't look that wide today, but back then it seemed like an Olympian challenge."

Another line lifted from Owen's childhood mentions using regionally prevalent chert rocks (often misheard as "church rocks") as baseballs.
I like some southern rock and Alabama knows how to make it work.  

81. You Should Hear How She Talks About You - Melissa Manchester - May

Dean Pitchford and Tom Snow wrote this song as a modern take on "She Loves You" by The Beatles - the idea of hearing about someone's affections from another person. Snow and Pitchford were always swapping song ideas, and this song gelled when Snow came up with the vamp. Pitchford told Songfacts: "If you listen to the bass line and the motif of that song. He played it for me and when he got to the chorus and the (singing) 'dun dun da da da da da da' I had this idea: this might be the song where we write our modern day 'She Loves You.' I said, this could be the 'You should hear.' But the first thing that I gave him was 'You should hear the way she talks about you,' and it was a little awkward, it tripped over itself. He took it and he jagged it up, with the (staccato), 'You. Should. Hear. How. She. Talks. About. You.' With all those catch-rhythms. That was another case where we planted that title on the first line. Then I took away the rest of the melody and wrote the rest from there."

This was first recorded in 1981 by Charlie Dore, a British female singer who had a US #10 hit in 1980 with "Pilot Of The Airwaves." Her version didn't catch on, but when Manchester recorded it a year later, it became a big hit and won a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

well, my real dream is to commit frottage in a fromagerie on a frontage road, but that's too MLK for these pedestrians.

who's your Derby hoss? McGaughey's guy looks to give the Bafferts some trub.
Nova Rags (Union Rags less heralded kid in the Fl. Derby) had a decent Tampa campaign (angle i been digging recently, save for the vastly overrated King G last year) ... he fires from the 1 hole on Saturday, can lay off the pace and give that 7 all he can handle ... Mott trainee with Junior A up - if GH has a hiccup, i think this will be it, which won't be the worst thing for his backers, as it will bode bettor value come May.  

not sold on Nova's bro Spielberg at all, though a close encounter with this lot can sway things. 

... as for the fr-fr-fr 🤠

well, my real dream is to commit frottage in a fromagerie on a frontage road, but that's too MLK for these pedestrians.

who's your Derby hoss? McGaughey's guy looks to give the Bafferts some trub.
Nova Rags (Union Rags less heralded kid in the Fl. Derby) had a decent Tampa campaign (angle i been digging recently, save for the vastly overrated King G last year) ... he fires from the 1 hole on Saturday, can lay off the pace and give that 7 all he can handle ... Mott trainee with Junior A up - if GH has a hiccup, i think this will be it, which won't be the worst thing for his backers, as it will bode bettor value come May.  

not sold on Nova's bro Spielberg at all, though a close encounter with this lot can sway things. 
I think your two styles would balance out to Shakespearean prose.

I honestly can't recall hearing this song on the radio ever.  But it is still grilled into my mind.  The grocery store I worked at while in college used to play soft pop songs from some cassette player that looked like an old 8 track from the 70's.  They only had about 3 tapes and most of it was complete dreck and I just tuned out.  This song was actually decent and I remember noting the passing time by counting how many times I heard it on repeat.  6 hour closing shift when you were back stocking shelves with no one around was usually 3 or sometimes 4 since the tape was like an hour 40 in length.   

89. Never Say Never - Romeo Void - ???
The video spoofs Jean-Luc Godard’s "Breathless.”

Lead singer Debora Iyall’s lack of popularity came down to her looks, or more specifically, her weight. Iyall’s weight pretty much resulted in Columbia Records pulling all support for Romeo Void because she refused to do anything about it when the company confronted her.

Isn't that a great punk thing to do? "Lose weight or we'll drop you." "Fine. #### off."
I like their version of Wrap It Up from this album too. I've always enjoyed this band's sound, there's a decent new wave base, but the way they integrated the manic sax, and of course Debora Iyall's vocals made them distinct. I know it may not have been for everybody, but I dug it. Too bad their run got cut short for various reasons.

@wikkidpissah no worries. Let's give you some more songs to discuss.

80. Blue Eyes/Empty Garden (Hey, Hey Johnny) - Elton John

I'll give some factoids when I get home.
Empty Garden is a tribute to John Lennon, who was shot to death in 1980 by a deranged fan. Elton John's wordsmith Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics, but Elton certainly felt a connection to the song, as he was good friends with Lennon and is the Godfather of Lennon's second son, Sean.

In the John/Taupin songwriting partnership, Bernie writes the lyrics first and Elton then puts them to music. When writing for the Jump Up album, Elton had some melodies handy and asked Taupin to write words to those, which he did. Taupin has described those songs as "awful" and said, "It's a very messy album." "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)," however, was written their traditional way with the lyrics first, and Taupin has said that it's the only good song on the album.

79. Athena/Eminence Front - The Who - September/December

a) Pete Townshend wrote Athena the day after he was knocked back by American actress Theresa Russell. By the time The Who came to record the song for It's Hard, Townshend was married to Karen Astley and Russell had wed another. The guitarist was nervous about publicly naming his crush so he renamed it "Athena." 

Roger Daltrey felt that concealing the subject of the song's true identity was a mistake. "Pete was talking to me about Nick Roeg's girlfriend and how he fancied her, and that song was written about her - but then it changed into 'She's a bomb'. I've got a psychological problem with it," he told the News of the World in 2010. "It's a great record; there's so much energy on that thing, but I still don't think there's a center to that song. The fact that he changed the title in that and didn't stick to what it was supposed to be lost its center to me."

b) "Eminence" is high power or fame, so an "Eminence Front" is the illusion of such, as Pete Townshend indicates with the line, "It's a put-on."

He said the song is about "the absurdity of drug-fueled grandiosity," possibly related to the Ativan detox program he went through shortly before writing the song. "Whether I was pointing the finger at myself or at the cocaine dealers of Miami Beach is hard to recall."

Roger Daltrey claimed he "hated" It's Hard and considered this the only song worthy of release.

Empty Garden is a tribute to John Lennon, who was shot to death in 1980 by a deranged fan. Elton John's wordsmith Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics, but Elton certainly felt a connection to the song, as he was good friends with Lennon and is the Godfather of Lennon's second son, Sean.

In the John/Taupin songwriting partnership, Bernie writes the lyrics first and Elton then puts them to music. When writing for the Jump Up album, Elton had some melodies handy and asked Taupin to write words to those, which he did. Taupin has described those songs as "awful" and said, "It's a very messy album." "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)," however, was written their traditional way with the lyrics first, and Taupin has said that it's the only good song on the album.

This song sure gets lost in the shuffle of his singles.  An outstandiing song.  

The Who was one of the worst concerts I've seen.  It was at the time where Townsend's solo career was very successful.  That was a show they mailed it in.  

79. Athena/Eminence Front - The Who - September/December

a) Pete Townshend wrote Athena the day after he was knocked back by American actress Theresa Russell. By the time The Who came to record the song for It's Hard, Townshend was married to Karen Astley and Russell had wed another. The guitarist was nervous about publicly naming his crush so he renamed it "Athena." 

Roger Daltrey felt that concealing the subject of the song's true identity was a mistake. "Pete was talking to me about Nick Roeg's girlfriend and how he fancied her, and that song was written about her - but then it changed into 'She's a bomb'. 
The Nicholas Roeg/Theresa Russel films are some of my favorites. You also get to see Harvey Keitel and Art Garfunkel at their most depraved.

Users who are viewing this thread