What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Fitness Pal (1 Viewer)

'Joe T said:
Have to admit, I'm really enjoying this so far. It not only creates a great deal of focus around what I eat, it is almost like a game where I have to beat the calorie count for the day.
That is a very interesting side effect of a food diary. I think most of us do the same thing, the trick is to make sure to 1) allow yourself a "bad day" every now and again and, most importantly, 2) log that bad day honestly. It really crystallizes the point of how bad a bad day can be, in the long run that will help you not string too many bad days together and reduce the number you have overall.For me the big thing I noted between Thanksgiving and New Years, which can be a difficult time to stay with a food diary, was how quickly alcohol will blow even a good eating day out of the water.
This is true. I used to think things like a dirty martini was almost a guiltless pleasure in the low-carb mind-set but then realizing each one was around 300 calories made me seriously rethink that.

I really wish MFP would count my resistance training towards my goals(have to enter it as generic circuit training)I'm pretty sure I burn more calories doing my leg workout than running on the tread mill.
You can make your own "my exercises" and add calories to it and use that instead of their own premade ones.
I would if I wasn't lazy
On the lazy point, I've only been using it for a week, but I've already had a couple times where I've skipped eating something because it would be too much of a pain in the ### to enter. So, the program works.

If any of you are interested there's a few recipes we've tried recently off SkinnyTaste.com that were really pretty good and low calorie. :thumbup:

Buffalo Chicken Wraps (147 Calories) - She uses Lettuce for the wraps, I used a hard roll from a local bakery (of course that's extra calories) but it was really good for the playoff games

Baked Chicken Parm (224 calories) - really like this recipe since I find it hard to eat italian food on the diet. Its pretty damn good. I've also used this recipe to make chicken fingers w/o the sauce.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup (169 cup / 258 bowl) - pot pie without the crust... very solid on a cold day

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits (97 calories) - Possibly the BEST thing she has on the whole site. Do yourself a favor and cut the recipe in half or quarter because you'll want to eat a ton of these.

Oh God yeah. Skinnytaste.com is 100% hits and no misses. You don't even feel like you're eating healthy. The Baked Chicken Parm tastes like you fried it, and the White Bean turkey Pumpkin Chili was awesome as well. Dab a spoon of plain Greek yogurt on that sucker instead of sour cream and you're good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish MFP would count my resistance training towards my goals(have to enter it as generic circuit training)

I'm pretty sure I burn more calories doing my leg workout than running on the tread mill.
Depends on how long you are running but I highly doubt this is true. I dont count any weight/resistance training. I figure it is a bonus and a small bonus at that.

I really wish MFP would count my resistance training towards my goals(have to enter it as generic circuit training)

I'm pretty sure I burn more calories doing my leg workout than running on the tread mill.
Depends on how long you are running but I highly doubt this is true. I dont count any weight/resistance training. I figure it is a bonus and a small bonus at that.
All depends on the intensity of your workout. I might burn more calories in my 20-25 minute total body workout than I do on just about any run. Not just during, but after too. Resistance training gives you a more favorable metabolic rate and if you super/giant set your exercises you transform your weight routine into a cardio workout too. Two birds, one stone.

Checking back in here to get back on this horse. I need to drop some weight for the summer. I said the same thing last year, and failed, but I want to make it work this year: since buying a house with a pool, I'd like to not be self conscious when taking off my shirt in mixed company. Time to start cutting some weight.

If any of you are interested there's a few recipes we've tried recently off SkinnyTaste.com that were really pretty good and low calorie. :thumbup: Buffalo Chicken Wraps (147 Calories) - She uses Lettuce for the wraps, I used a hard roll from a local bakery (of course that's extra calories) but it was really good for the playoff games Baked Chicken Parm (224 calories) - really like this recipe since I find it hard to eat italian food on the diet. Its pretty damn good. I've also used this recipe to make chicken fingers w/o the sauce. Chicken Pot Pie Soup (169 cup / 258 bowl) - pot pie without the crust... very solid on a cold dayGarlic Cheddar Biscuits (97 calories) - Possibly the BEST thing she has on the whole site. Do yourself a favor and cut the recipe in half or quarter because you'll want to eat a ton of these.
These all sound great. Going to have to try them. Thanks for the link :thumbup:

If any of you are interested there's a few recipes we've tried recently off SkinnyTaste.com that were really pretty good and low calorie. :thumbup: Buffalo Chicken Wraps (147 Calories) - She uses Lettuce for the wraps, I used a hard roll from a local bakery (of course that's extra calories) but it was really good for the playoff games Baked Chicken Parm (224 calories) - really like this recipe since I find it hard to eat italian food on the diet. Its pretty damn good. I've also used this recipe to make chicken fingers w/o the sauce. Chicken Pot Pie Soup (169 cup / 258 bowl) - pot pie without the crust... very solid on a cold dayGarlic Cheddar Biscuits (97 calories) - Possibly the BEST thing she has on the whole site. Do yourself a favor and cut the recipe in half or quarter because you'll want to eat a ton of these.
These all sound great. Going to have to try them. Thanks for the link :thumbup:
that site is fantastic! Thank you for posting it. I have already printed out a bunch I want to try.

All depends on the intensity of your workout. I might burn more calories in my 20-25 minute total body workout than I do on just about any run. Not just during, but after too. Resistance training gives you a more favorable metabolic rate and if you super/giant set your exercises you transform your weight routine into a cardio workout too. Two birds, one stone.
I'm not sure I'm buying that. I wore a heart rate monitor to try and get a bead on this and the most it ever gave me out of a workout was around ~200 calories.Meanwhile, an hour of running on a treadmill at 7mph knocks out around 800 calories.

I'm not sure I'm buying that. I wore a heart rate monitor to try and get a bead on this and the most it ever gave me out of a workout was around ~200 calories.Meanwhile, an hour of running on a treadmill at 7mph knocks out around 800 calories.
It's either lying to you or your non-running workout isn't intense enough. I'm talking about a workout that includes kettlebell routines, jumping lunges, burpees, etc. Heart rate consistently in the high zone, but enough breaks/easier exercises mixed in to keep it under control too. More muscle work ---> faster metabolism ---> burn more calories when you're not working out. Running is all cardio, very little muscle work involved unless you're doing wind sprints or significant hill/trail work.

It's either lying to you or your non-running workout isn't intense enough. I'm talking about a workout that includes kettlebell routines, jumping lunges, burpees, etc. Heart rate consistently in the high zone, but enough breaks/easier exercises mixed in to keep it under control too. More muscle work ---> faster metabolism ---> burn more calories when you're not working out. Running is all cardio, very little muscle work involved unless you're doing wind sprints or significant hill/trail work.
In all fairness that is not what you said in your original post. Big difference.

So grateful to have moved on from "on a diet" mode to "lifestyle change complete" mode. Look better, feel better, and got rid of my diabetic condition. :)Stick with it guys!

So grateful to have moved on from "on a diet" mode to "lifestyle change complete" mode. Look better, feel better, and got rid of my diabetic condition. :)Stick with it guys!
Nice job man! Not often you can ditch a life threatening disease by eating better & taking care of yourself :thumbup: New challenge, trying to drop 10 more after being in maintenance mode or the last 3-4 months. Forgot how much I enjoyed being hungry 24/7 ;)

Nice job man! Not often you can ditch a life threatening disease by eating better & taking care of yourself :thumbup: New challenge, trying to drop 10 more after being in maintenance mode or the last 3-4 months. Forgot how much I enjoyed being hungry 24/7 ;)
Thanks man. I'm not done though. Lost 126, have unfortunately another 100 to go. Yeah, I let myself go BAD.Hey Mac, still getting nice results eating Greek yogurts, salads with lean proteins, and baked chicken or turkey for dinner with a veggie and half a serving of brown rice. Still at 1,300 cals a day.

I'm glad you're happy with your progress. Just keeping my fingers crossed you don't have a roast beef skin issue, hit a plateau, or develop another organ issue. All are more likely when losing that much that fast. Nowhere near a certainty, just things needing closely monitored. If any of them happen, stay strong and don't let adversity cause you to regress. Keep it up.

I'm glad you're happy with your progress. Just keeping my fingers crossed you don't have a roast beef skin issue, hit a plateau, or develop another organ issue. All are more likely when losing that much that fast. Nowhere near a certainty, just things needing closely monitored. If any of them happen, stay strong and don't let adversity cause you to regress. Keep it up.
I sense your worry and concern Mac, thanks. Keep in mind compared to the average person I still lead a very sedentary type of lifestyle. If I do walk, do mountains of housework, or do the elliptical, walk, or jump rope, I do make sure I go over 1,300 cals to keep the body fueled to account for what I burned. I'm very cognizant of that at least. There should be a jump in calorie intake soon because I'm going to put the hockey skates back on and start playing again in about 20-30 pounds.

Weighed in this am and I came in at 288. Pretty sure I will continue the 2lbs a week loss so I have a chance to be down to my goal weight of 250 by the one year mark (mid July) as long as I add some exercise to my routine. I am hoping there is enough day light left in the day come mid Feb to start the couch to 5k running program. Keep up the good work guys!

Weighed in this am and I came in at 288. Pretty sure I will continue the 2lbs a week loss so I have a chance to be down to my goal weight of 250 by the one year mark (mid July) as long as I add some exercise to my routine. I am hoping there is enough day light left in the day come mid Feb to start the couch to 5k running program. Keep up the good work guys!
Wow that's pretty awesome! Keep it up! Same for you Pound that's an incredible amount of weight to lose.I weighed in "unofficially" this morning (I only count my weight Sunday Night each week) and am at the 10lbs lost mark in just two weeks (down from 262 to 252) I can't really celebrate though. I've always been fantastic at losing 10lbs. Then it stops and I gain it all back. When I hit 20lbs... that'll be cause for celebration :D

Update: I starting this thing at the first of the year and am down to 187 or -6 lbs since inception. I'm enjoying it. The tool is really helpful. I guess the biggest change for me is drinking less alcohol. A lot less. Other changes too, but that is by far the biggest.12 pounds more to meet my goal.

i started this app last week. i was surprised to see how much calories some of the crap i was eating. i havnt been drinking much lately either, now ive settled for rum and diet coke as the go-to. my daily calories is 1920.. seems like alot.. im 30 6'3 and weigh 197 . o well im not complaining as long as itlll work.. my target is to get to 185 then start p90x

i started this app last week. i was surprised to see how much calories some of the crap i was eating. i havnt been drinking much lately either, now ive settled for rum and diet coke as the go-to. my daily calories is 1920.. seems like alot.. im 30 6'3 and weigh 197 . o well im not complaining as long as itlll work.. my target is to get to 185 then start p90x
This has been one of the biggest changes I have made. Sam Adams BL - 175 calories

Bass Pale Ale - 160 calories

Sierra Nevada IPA - 180 calories

No more 5 or 6 beers for me :(

This has been one of the biggest changes I have made. Sam Adams BL - 175 calories

Bass Pale Ale - 160 calories

Sierra Nevada IPA - 180 calories

No more 5 or 6 beers for me :(
i haev a buncha sierra nevada in the fridge. its my go-to and im always stocked up.. only good thing with starting this now is football season is almost over so less drinking :unsure: thats why i just go for the liqour, its 1 calorie per proof +20 so you get more bang for your buck

Norovirus was what I needed to finally push me over the 40lbs lost ledge that I had been hanging on for months now :thumbup:

Update: I starting this thing at the first of the year and am down to 187 or -6 lbs since inception. I'm enjoying it. The tool is really helpful. I guess the biggest change for me is drinking less alcohol. A lot less. Other changes too, but that is by far the biggest.12 pounds more to meet my goal.
Update: Was down to 184 this morning. Down 9 lbs from January 1. :thumbup: I'm still really enjoying this. Clothes fit so much better.9 more pounds to go.

One thing I read (or heard on the radio) has really stuck with me:

(Paraphrasing) "Eating bad over the holidays isn't a really that big of a problem, what is a big problem is eating bad the rest of the year."

I have been using MFP since July and knocked-off about 23lbs up to the holidays. And then I told myself (using the above guidance) that I was going to eat and drink whatever I wanted over that week. And I did. I logged it all. Way over guidance, and ended-up putting about 2-3 pounds back on. Maybe more, since it took another week or two on the plan before I saw movement back down again, post-holidays.

That said, I just weighed-in again and I'm down 26lbs from July. Maybe that would be 28 or 29 without my holiday transgressions, but I have no regrets. I told myself that I would be good for the six months pre-holiays and my reward would be a week off the plan then. Now I'm back on, and almost at my goal.

Still no exercise to speak of -- doing all this on the input side. Thinking about working on the output side. A whole new level of motivation I'll need for that.

One thing I read (or heard on the radio) has really stuck with me:

(Paraphrasing) "Eating bad over the holidays isn't a really that big of a problem, what is a big problem is eating bad the rest of the year."

I have been using MFP since July and knocked-off about 23lbs up to the holidays. And then I told myself (using the above guidance) that I was going to eat and drink whatever I wanted over that week. And I did. And I logged it all. Way over guidance, and ended-up putting about 2-3 pounds back on. Maybe more since it took another week or two on the plan before I saw movement back down again, post-holidays.

That said, I just weighed-in again and I'm down 26lbs from July. Maybe that would be 28 or 29 without my holiday transgressions, but I have no regrets. I told myself that I would be good for the six months pre-holiays and my reward would be a week off the plan then. Now I'm back on, and almost at my goal.

Still no exercise to speak of -- doing all this on the input side. Thinking about working on the output side. A whole new level of motivation I'll need for that.
I think I may have hit a plateau of sorts. I was losing 2-4 lbs a week and now I am at 1lb a week. I am thinking about going a little crazy for Superbowl. Now I wont do a whole week off like you did, but maybe one crazy day (cheesesteaks, beer, wings, pizza, fries) would jump start my loss again?

Oh and if anyone has a Trader Joe's near them, check out their nitrate-free uncured chicken hot dogs. Pair those with some light hot dog buns from Jewel, some kraut, onions, and mustard, and you can have an incredibly filling 3-4 hot dog meal for just 450-600 calories. I barely feel hungry for the rest of the day after a lunch like that. Feels like a massive amount of food, yet it only consumes around 33% of my daily allowance.

I think I may have hit a plateau of sorts. I was losing 2-4 lbs a week and now I am at 1lb a week. I am thinking about going a little crazy for Superbowl. Now I wont do a whole week off like you did, but maybe one crazy day (cheesesteaks, beer, wings, pizza, fries) would jump start my loss again?
If anything, I feel like my holiday break might have slowed things down, post-break.Generally I don't put much weight (no pun intended) in any given week's weigh-in. Some weeks I weigh-in and lose nothing, and then the next week I'll be down 2lbs (I'm averaging about 1lb/week). But the trend is clear. So if you have a couple weeks of just 1lb, give it some time before thinking you have hit a plateau.

Also, a day-off won't hurt, and I think it keeps you sane. The trick is to plan your days off well in-advance. If you let yourself pick days off on a whim and in the moment, you'll find yourself doing it more often than you should. That's why I put my holiday week on the calendar almost as soon as I started the program, and it gave me a carrot to work toward. My next "week off" will likely be a trip with friends over the summer. But by then I should also be at my target and have a higher daily allowance.

After losing 25 pounds on MFP, I stopped tracking and held steady for a year (174#, 5'10"). Every time I go on a business trip, I put on 5 pounds, then take it off the following week without much effort.A couple of weeks ago after a business trip, the five pounds didn't come off. So, I'm back on MFP. Three days in, and it's good to be reminded - I was getting some bad habits back, this helps to remind me. I'm back down to 175#, thinking of sticking to it and seeing if I can get down to 165# or so - the mirror doesn't lie, and the mirror tells me I'm still 10# overweight.

Oh and if anyone has a Trader Joe's near them, check out their nitrate-free uncured chicken hot dogs. Pair those with some light hot dog buns from Jewel, some kraut, onions, and mustard, and you can have an incredibly filling 3-4 hot dog meal for just 450-600 calories. I barely feel hungry for the rest of the day after a lunch like that. Feels like a massive amount of food, yet it only consumes around 33% of my daily allowance.
Sounds awesome... Can you get the Jewel light hot dog buns at Trader Joe's also?

this site is insane. :thumbup:Fired up myfitnesspal to she'd some lbs for summer season. Combo of adjusting diet and likely getting back to the gym.. Plus some supplementation. Hitting that mid 30s metabolic slowdown methinks :) 2 days in so far... Not bad.

The argument that hard/fast paced weight lifting burns more than running is true... For two reasons:1) hard weight lifting results in a lingering metabolic boost as the body repairs the muscle "damage".

2) hard lifting results in incremental more muscle mass, which increases your BMR.

Not to mention that a GOOD weight /kettle bell / medicine ball workout will have your hear rate pegged just as high as a good run... If not more. Max out a leg press set "running racks" (small set of 10, up the weight a little (no break), bigger set of 10, up the weight a little... Etc to failure... Then tell me as you're gasping for air and can't walk to the water fountain that its not doing as much as a jog :lmao:

What icon said. I workout over lunch on lift days. One hour... Time to drive two miles to the gym, change, get after it, shower, change, drive back. Usually only 20 maybe 25 minutes to do work. Quality and intensity over quantity.

At 138 pounds lost and going :)When I get down to my target I'll tell my whole story and post some before and afters. A true lifestyle change. No finish line here.MyFitnessPal helped save my life.

At 138 pounds lost and going :)When I get down to my target I'll tell my whole story and post some before and afters. A true lifestyle change. No finish line here.MyFitnessPal helped save my life.
That is f'ing awesome. Some pretty impressive stories on here. Makes me feel like a lazy ### for just now getting around to this with a measly goal of 45lbs to get down to sophomore year of college weight. 3 down... 42 to go. :lmao: The real trigger for me was my blood pressure was starting to creep up (36yo) and a lingering knee injury last softball season hampered my playing time. Not to mention pool season is approaching and ill be IN three weddings this year. Finally, going to Vegas in July with 8 buddies who are all weight lifters / cut from granite. :lmao: Angling to get back into the gym and start lifting again with my old workout partner as well, so may start focusing less on weight lost and more on body composition. Will see how it goes though. So yah... Back on the wagon :)

I hear ya. Got so badly depressed, compounded the issue by eating even more, and became so ashamed of myself that I didn't want to leave the house. I know fat people get crapped on, judged, discriminated against, etc., but I can't blame people for feeling that way. Would I want to sit next to me on a plane? In a movie theatre? In a stadium? Hell no. I'm probably at the point now where it wouldn't be so terrible to fly somewhere.

Dude you lost my daughter and then some, nice job. Looking forward to hearing the back story :thumbup:

I hear ya. Got so badly depressed, compounded the issue by eating even more, and became so ashamed of myself that I didn't want to leave the house. I know fat people get crapped on, judged, discriminated against, etc., but I can't blame people for feeling that way. Would I want to sit next to me on a plane? In a movie theatre? In a stadium? Hell no. I'm probably at the point now where it wouldn't be so terrible to fly somewhere.
Hell yeah man! When you hit your goal fly somewhere near the beach. :thumbup:

Dawg - this is incredibly inspiring. Congrats amigo!

Dawg - this is incredibly inspiring. Congrats amigo!
Thanks Judge (and all). I have had some incredible stress at work lately and don't know how I would have handled it had I not been eating healthy.

'GreekFreak said:
Just started this today.5'10 and 225 pounds currently, hoping to get down to 185.
Dude you are me a year ago. Started using this app last January was 5'11" 232. Down to a healthy 190 and up until this Monday, running 40ish miles a week. Good luck and stick with it, great app if you listen to it :thumbup:

'GreekFreak said:
Just started this today.

5'10 and 225 pounds currently, hoping to get down to 185.
Dude you are me a year ago. Started using this app last January was 5'11" 232. Down to a healthy 190 and up until this Monday, running 40ish miles a week. Good luck and stick with it, great app if you listen to it :thumbup:
:goodposting: This app has absolutely changed my life, it holds me accountable. I now have a few family and friend on it as well so I feel a responsibility towards them to keep tracking everything I do . Having lost 85lbs as of last Friday, I feel absolutely fantastic in every way possible. My wife constantly tells me how great I look and how absolutely proud she is of me. My father tears up when he talks about my transformation because he was fearful for my life since I had gotten so out of hand with my eating. I can run around and play with my niece and nephew with out having to take a break every five minutes. I was able to fly to Florida with out having to ask for the belt extender. I now buy XLT clothes instead of 4XLT and I no longer have to be ashamed of the gut hanging over my belt so far that you could not even tell that I was wearing one.I could go on and on about how the app helped me change my life for the better. I just want anyone that has struggled with weight or put on some happy pounds, please try this app and stick to it, you will see the changes you desire.

Four days in. First day or two were difficult but it's become easier since and I've already dropped some lbs to show for it. Gotta get used to being a little hungry. Nothing wrong with that.Already, every time I eat something, I consider the calories. No more handful grabs of some triscuits (120 calories for 6!) or a swig from the milk carton before I go to bed.Accoutability is a powerful thing, especially when the only person you'd be cheating is yourself.

Just started this today.

5'10 and 225 pounds currently, hoping to get down to 185.
:goodposting: This app has absolutely changed my life, it holds me accountable. I now have a few family and friend on it as well so I feel a responsibility towards them to keep tracking everything I do . Having lost 85lbs as of last Friday, I feel absolutely fantastic in every way possible. My wife constantly tells me how great I look and how absolutely proud she is of me. My father tears up when he talks about my transformation because he was fearful for my life since I had gotten so out of hand with my eating. I can run around and play with my niece and nephew with out having to take a break every five minutes. I was able to fly to Florida with out having to ask for the belt extender. I now buy XLT clothes instead of 4XLT and I no longer have to be ashamed of the gut hanging over my belt so far that you could not even tell that I was wearing one.I could go on and on about how the app helped me change my life for the better. I just want anyone that has struggled with weight or put on some happy pounds, please try this app and stick to it, you will see the changes you desire.
Keep up the great work

Enjoying this so far... down 4.6lbs since starting 10 days ago. Have been religious about it. Went out one night (thursday) and blew my budget thanks to drinks (+900ish calories). Buckled down and came in 200-400 under since.

Purchased some ofthese containers and am now pre-making lunch salads. Great little things packed with spinach ($5.50 for 2.5lb bag at costco), 2 small tomatoes, a half dozen slices of english cucumber, and some green pepper slices. SEal em up in the fridge and then just top with protein each day. easy as it gets.

Still a lot to go but this is sustainable IMO.

2 of my 6 "Friends" on the app have already quit within a week.

Users who are viewing this thread