What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My impending Italian Ex-Pat adventure is ***Official*** 2024-25 v3.1 (1 Viewer)

so, this is likely my last update for a bit as i try to get some things in order……not great news for the wife, as prelim diagnosis is appendicitis. she is getting doses of antibiotics to try to knock it out, but there is a chance it needs surgical removal. she is overnighting in the hospital and being moved to the surgical floor. i can come back tomorrow morning around 10a and figure out next steps. outside of a thyroid issue in 2020 she is pretty healthy, never really sick with anything, so this is a huge blow, especially in another country. i would prefer the meds kick in, we go home early and figure stuff out, but we may not have that option. i figure 3-5 days in the hospital if she needs surgery. flight back home is 1/8, but that is low on my worry list. let’s see if this gets knocked out, but i have limited experience with appendix stuff.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Best to you and the Mrs. I've been enjoying this thread mostly silently, but it's been a blast...until now. Sorry you're dealing with it.
appreciate it. this is teh suck. it’s home, but it isn’t home. we don’t know a single doctor here so if they told her she was a witch, we’d have to believe it.

so, this is likely my last update for a bit as i try to get some things in order……not great news for the wife, as prelim diagnosis is appendicitis. she is getting doses of antibiotics to try to knock it out, but there is a chance it needs surgical removal. she is overnighting in the hospital and being moved to the surgical floor. i can come back tomorrow morning around 10a and figure out next steps. outside of a thyroid issue in 2020 she is pretty healthy, never really sick with anything, so this is a huge blow, especially in another country. i would prefer the meds kick in, we go home early and figure stuff out, but we may not have that option. i figure 3-5 days in the hospital if she needs surgery. flight back home is 1/8, but that is low on my worry list. let’s see if this gets knocked out, but i have limited experience with appendix stuff.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Best to you and the Mrs. I've been enjoying this thread mostly silently, but it's been a blast...until now. Sorry you're dealing with it.
appreciate it. this is teh suck. it’s home, but it isn’t home. we don’t know a single doctor here so if they told her she was a witch, we’d have to believe it.

If it makes you feel any better, I got deathly ill in Zambia - Zambia! - and had to go to a hospital there, and I'm still alive. :lol: I'm just really happy that you took her to the hospital. It's so easy, especially when someone is rarely ill, to think it's "nothing" and will resolve itself, but you were both smart to get her in.

If it makes you feel any better, I got deathly ill in Zambia - Zambia! - and had to go to a hospital there, and I'm still alive. :lol: I'm just really happy that you took her to the hospital. It's so easy, especially when someone is rarely ill, to think it's "nothing" and will resolve itself, but you were both smart to get her in.
wish i took her 5 days ago. we figured the flu or something. appendectomy is not on her bingo card. i guess this is better than zambia, so i got that going for me.

3:05a here and last post, i promise. made a bunch of calls and importantly, we have bcbs coverage. this is unknown territory, but bcbs assures me that we are covered for emergencies via global core, based on our plans. we are covered 80% after her deductible has been met, which it has and then 100% when the out of pocket has been met. seems my max out of pocket here is $1100-. so many things i did not plan for really makes me rethink a lot going forward.

so many things i did not plan for really makes me rethink a lot going forward.
When you have time, please elaborate.

Best wishes for your wife. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
medical emergencies and ill health. i had a plan for when we were here, but nothing travel insurance wise in the interim. i mean, i’m sure we’re not the only people ever to get sick away away from home, but we never discussed what happens in the event of an emergency. do we have a clue?

surgery confirmed…..waiting on details

at this point, it will likely make her feel better quickly, but the goal is to get her back here and to get home home asap.

here is something interesting. i figured christmas would be that everything was closed, but i found the snack bar open and packed at the hospital today and both of the bars in my village open and hopping. even now at 9p. i grabbed a gelato for dinner.

here is something interesting. i figured christmas would be that everything was closed, but i found the snack bar open and packed at the hospital today and both of the bars in my village open and hopping. even now at 9p. i grabbed a gelato for dinner.
I was surprised by the same. I didn't think we'd be able to find a restaurant open for lunch, much less dinner, but there were lots of options for both along with bars and gelaterie.

doctor just came out after about 2 hours, said it was the appendix. red and inflamed. it’s out, she has a small drain and maybe home in 2 days.
oh, it burst……so we got pretty lucky all things being equal.
Damn... glad you went to the hospital when you did.
we should have been there sooner, but with the trip and running around a bit, we didn’t want to think the worst. i mean, we had to assume it was a flu bug or something. she started with a bit of a sore throat and cough, so i thought just a bug. but it didn’t improve and her stomach was real bad. at least they seem competent.

if this has shown me anything it’s that i highly recommend spending a couple of bucks for traveler insurance. they are not expensive. having that peace of mind is a lot for people that just don’t know the system in a god forbid scenario. it isn’t the end of the world, but one last thing to worry about. sh!t happens at any time.

here are places we were looking for insurance; we were going to use the second to satisfy our visa requirement, up to €30.000 in coverage, which is the minimum.

doctor just came out after about 2 hours, said it was the appendix. red and inflamed. it’s out, she has a small drain and maybe home in 2 days.
oh, it burst……so we got pretty lucky all things being equal.
Wow! Very glad you went in to the hospital. That could have been bad.
it was bad, could’ve been much much worse.

she is still struggling a bit, only 24 hours post-op and the hospital is by no means LIJ. it is hospital basic. her shared room doesn’t even have the privacy curtain.

here’s a funny story. i follow her down to surgery last night thru the hospital bowels. they go into the surgery room and tell me i can wait outside. outside is a giant sterile corridor like the hotel in the shining with an odd shaped off putting metal couch. was like sitting in a rack. so, i decided to lay on the floor, charge my phone (i actually found a working outlet) and nap, was much more comfortable. about an hour later i hear people running down the hall, so i pop my head up. they are coming for me thinking i collapsed on the floor. i told them in italian it was much more comfortable than the iron rack.

changed another toilet seat yesterday, took me only 45 minutes. i have one left to change.

lots of fog here.
Are these two thoughts related?

Good follow, X.
they can be…

more observations. if you come to italy, bring your own tissues. the toilet paper is functional, like an office building that tries. the tissues? like whiping your nose with loose leaf paper. they just don’t do soft here.

also, i desperately need an auto coffee maker, something like nespresso. remember, coffee here is a shot of espresso, anything is somewhat efforting, especially at home. at a bar, order an americano if you want a US style coffee.

today comes our new fridge, with actual freezer attached! one of those, we take it for granted things in the US. our current fridge has no freezer. also, pseudo dryer arrives today. our landscaper is supposed to start on our outdoor room. i say supposed, it’s 50/50 for appointments here if people actually arrive.

today comes our new fridge, with actual freezer attached! one of those, we take it for granted things in the US. our current fridge has no freezer. also, pseudo dryer arrives today. our landscaper is supposed to start on our outdoor room. i say supposed, it’s 50/50 for appointments here if people actually arrive.
so, appliances came. pseudo dryer in but the fridge has a problem. my space is 140 centijiggers and the fridge is 144. of course there is no simple adjustment, i need a carpenter to move the shelf down and the shelf is fixed, not movable. also, the last fridge, a liebherr or something german had a door without hinges. it was literally affixed to the cabinet, so the carpenter needs to provide new hinges. it’s standard stuff here, but sounds crazy to americans. also, trees are being removed but the room is delayed since the wood supplier is not being nice to our landscape guy. apparently, they cut in advance and not on sight. least of my worries i suppose. wife can eat today a little. i told her to come home so i can get on a plane.

waited all day for the 4p visiting window. get there and they yell at me in italian that no visitors are allowed because someone on the floor has covid. i yelled at them in english and then in italian. tell the patients that people can’t come, it’s not like italian roads are easy to drive. i told them i brought her drinks since they are not letting her go anywhere, she has no tv and no privacy at all. somehow her roommate has the ability in the hospital to talk to someone on the phone for 8 hours straight or 8 people for 1 hour each.

nobody really cares, but here are my tips of the day;

if you want something to go, you can say take away. italian is per d’asporto.

gas is a key here. when you get a car, know which side the tank is on. stations have full and self serve, self is cheaper. if you are daring, park and check pump number. there will be an atm type machine in the middle of the station somewhere. you can change the language usually. insert money and then select pump number. pump away. if you overpay, you don’t get money back, you get a receipt with a code to come back and use…..as if you’ll be back, so don’t over pay , better to under. green is generally gas, black is diesel. inside you tank cover it will tell you. don’t be that guy who uses the wrong fuel.

pizza! important….pizza alla tonda is our round pizza. they usually don’t cut them so i would ask taglia in quartieri. quarters. if you want a slice, pizza al taglio. they know the size people want, but they may show you the size. nod and gesture and then they weigh it for price.

When I lived in Spain, I had a friend from Colombia that wanted to start a laundromat called, "Hurt my clothes". She thought the dryers in Europe were underpowered because people were afraid the high heat would damage their clothing.

When I lived in Spain, I had a friend from Colombia that wanted to start a laundromat called, "Hurt my clothes". She thought the dryers in Europe were underpowered because people were afraid the high heat would damage their clothing.
we are major dog lovers and i always thought to open a pet business here called
“Ameri-Cani”.

pretty lucky that my little town has activity. they have 2 pizzerias. one just does pizza, the other does pizza and pasta dishes, but also hamburgers. so, i tried the americano burger. it’s a 1/2 pounder with american cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, mayo, ketschup and bbq sauce. not sure if it’s a fresh patty, but they claim to make their own buns. it was huge and crazy messy. 8/10….a bit salty and too messy (bun got soggy from the sauces), but a welcome sight.

i figure all the italian food here is awesome, it almost always is, so i am trying those off items while the wife is down.

interestingly, i just realized that i haven’t been changing my clothes that much while i’ve been here. been concerned about the mrs. and i think i’ve worn 2 outfits in 2 weeks. i guess that’s why my underwear went outside on their own today.

construction “team” showed up today to start work on the screened room, around 8a. truck full of nice looking precut wood and items that make it seem they know what they are doing. right now they are leveling and locating bracket placement to bolt into the patio. 2 guy job. what’s the worst that can happen?

so, we have 4 garbage cans at the entrance of the property. 1 garbage and then recycling for glass, plastic and paper. it seems there is a garbage truck here every 10 minutes picking up something. i like the efficiency, but trying to figure out if there is a real schedule is likely a full year job for me.

Users who are viewing this thread