What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My impending Italian Ex-Pat adventure is ***Official*** 2024-25 v3.1 (2 Viewers)

3:05a here and i am awake with the porchetta dry heaves. sometimes a €3 road side porchetta truck sammich is not your friend. sometimes the bidet is. i am 3 deep in tums and pepto. Vote Bidet!
There’s a terrible Thursday night football game on amazon
isn’t there always?
Stink bug update? meaning You really….
a better look at the windows and screens and we see areas where we can use some spray foam and better caulking. that is for another day. we cleaned up a ripped screen and bought some weather stripping to see if it helps a bit. met with the garden guy, he is contracting the outdoor screened room and replanting some things that we want. we are removing some roses and adding some evergreens…..oleander, lavender, rosemary. we want to be able say, we planted that, we had that built. right now, the house is ours, but we want to put our stamp on something so that people know we are not the former owners, we are different people and like our things and ways. where our big willow fell, there is now a nice big open space. told my wife it will perfect for my fruit grove. she gave me a stink eye, but i have always wanted fruit trees. not sure if i can plant a lemon tree due to climate……crazy windy today, but around 50.

i am still giving the bidets a work out.

Last edited:
so, i’m used to being in NC now and i don’t generally follow sunrise and sunset stuff, but i must be a bit further north now. sunrise here is 7.35 and sunset about 4.35. we get about 45 minutes more sunlight at home. 7.35 seems late for sunrise.

also, i have to get used to late social hours here, since people stop work around 7:30p. yesterday, our attached neighbors had us over at 9:45p for prosecco, chocolate and pandoro. we are usually laying down at 7:30p. dinner reservations tonite at 7:30p, which is when the restaurant opens. we have been eating around 5:30-6:00 in america.

so, i’m used to being in NC now and i don’t generally follow sunrise and sunset stuff, but i must be a bit further north now. sunrise here is 7.35 and sunset about 4.35. we get about 45 minutes more sunlight at home. 7.35 seems late for sunrise.
europe always seems to have its own rules with the sun. Summer nights seem to stay light forever

europe always seems to have its own rules with the sun. Summer nights seem to stay light forever
just realized winter solstice is a week away, so longer days await!

small update. so, my wife has been down with the ick for 2 days and i’ve been roughing it on my own a bit. no covid, but she is semi-dead. so, as i’ve said, even simple things are crazy here. we planned for 3 months to meet with a company that does appliances, mattresses, etc. we need 2 new mattresses and a new fridge. the fridge we were left is built into the cabinet and without a freezer. the stripping around the door is tearing and not allowing the door to close. fridge might be from 1951. i just wanted to go to an appliance type best buy and a local mattress guy. wife is not a fan of a mattress store adjacent/in a petrol station and the appliance store might be hit or miss, but i remind her that in italy retail is much better than the states for service. meh. the dude comes out the first day to measure everything, a common type thing here. wife recommended because he was local and i was ok. we were to go to him the next day, last friday, to then pick stuff out but he says he is busy, can we come saturday. we say saturday 11-12? he says 6:30. no, we have dinner reservation at 7:30. sunday is no work. he says monday is no good, so we try for tuesday around 5:30p. dude texts that he is very busy right now and maybe can get us 1 mattress before we leave in january. doosh wasted 5 days. before wife got really bad last night i say, screw the dude and let’s try what i said. boom boom 10 minutes at the euronics we find the right fridge, they install and will be here next week. great salesguy. we ask who delivers and installs and he says faccio io!! so, the salesman also brings the appliance and installs, which i really like. then we swing to the gas station mattress store. wife is pleasantly surprised that it is like a mattress firm inside. well dressed younger guy helps us, his father is the owner. bada bing, mattress in 15 minutes tuesday night with delivery this morning already before 9a. of course the guy and his father deliver the mattress. the other mattress is like a california king and it will take a bit longer, so we decided to wait until our return. the guy writes that he guarantees us the price quoted and before our next return we can text or speak to ensure it is ready.

on another note…..i bought a new gas mower so that me and our afxican don’t have to use a mini corded mower. briggs and stratton engine. i add oil and gas, can’t get it to start. i go to a local ag. store and the guy recommends a local hardware store for repair. i call and the owner couldn’t be nicer, says bring it over. i had to leave it for the tech, but the guy was only 10 mins away. was a pretty awesome store inside…..kind of like a big ace.

friday we meet with the school. my 91 year old neighbor gave me a frozen guinea fowl, complete with talons and some feathers. told him i’d use it for a chicken soup (i lied). lol

my italian is pretty good. i more than get by, which was my goal. i of course will improve once studies start.

if you have a question, i only have time…..

Last edited:
so, with my wife dead, my plans to make a sauce and pasta dish tonite were scuttled. wanted something easy and this is the good thing here….hit my local small version supermarket for a sandwich. i went for mortadella and prosciutto cotto (i have begun to prefer over prosciutto crudo). they don’t do extras like cheese, lettuce, toppings. gave me a great hard roll. €3.45….. pretty much, it’s impossible to spend more than €4 for a sandwich anywhere. i grabbed some sliced scamorza cheese and had lettuce and mayo at home. was pretty happy. tomorrow is thursday, which means the porchetta truck will be back in the parking lot of my town’s train station, but we know how that went last week. my town is allerona scalo, in case you are google stalky.

getting more used to the house, but it has a nice quirk that i have not yet properly figured out, so to speak. so, the house has 3 floors. 1st floor is only the kitchen and has a main access door…double interior door with an arched shape. it has the giant wood doors outside that you open up for the door. the kitchen floor was added on to the house. the house also has a nice marble exterior staircase to enter the 2nd floor, where the bedrooms and living room are. the 2nd floor entrance also has double doors and double wooden doors that open to a small patio. i don’t know if i should be entering or leaving from upstairs or downstairs. i have jackets and shoes downstairs in the kitchen entrance, but nothing upstairs. but if i’m outside and come home from shopping, i don’t need to enter into the kitchen, but i still do. i mean, it’s a WPP, but something i haven’t yet mastered. it was nice having the upstairs entrance today for the mattress.

oh, and don’t even get me started on trying to explain what it’s like to change a toilet seat in this country. the u.s i guess has a standard sized toilet…..not here. that is one of the reasons why you sometimes may find a toilet without a seat. if you don’t know the model of the toilet and shape, you can’t just go to a store and buy a seat.

there is a company here, sintesibagno, that actually has a whatsapp number. you take a picture of your toilet top and side and text it to them and then they send you the comparable seat. but then you need the right bolts and nuts. OMG. if anyone ever visits, you’ll understand. i changed a seat today, took me about 2.5 hours.

getting more used to the house, but it has a nice quirk that i have not yet properly figured out, so to speak. so, the house has 3 floors. 1st floor is only the kitchen and has a main access door…double interior door with an arched shape. it has the giant wood doors outside that you open up for the door. the kitchen floor was added on to the house. the house also has a nice marble exterior staircase to enter the 2nd floor, where the bedrooms and living room are. the 2nd floor entrance also has double doors and double wooden doors that open to a small patio. i don’t know if i should be entering or leaving from upstairs or downstairs. i have jackets and shoes downstairs in the kitchen entrance, but nothing upstairs. but if i’m outside and come home from shopping, i don’t need to enter into the kitchen, but i still do. i mean, it’s a WPP, but something i haven’t yet mastered. it was nice having the upstairs entrance today for the mattress.
No interior stairs??

No interior stairs??
yes, 2 flights. 1-2….2-3. fair question. some houses here only have external stairs.

lawnmower update: fixed for €10. not enough oil.

so, after trial and error at home and much research, i finally mastered the cacio e pepe dish. sadly, i didn’t measure, but here is my take; a thick pasta like pici or bucatini. in a large fry type pan place a pat or 2 of butter, unsalted is better and melt in low heat while you have a pot of water boiling. aggressively salt water. to the butter, add 3-4 tablespoons of pepper. ground is fine, cracked is better. mix pepper and butter and leave on low. in a separate mixing bowl add a 3:1 ratio of pecorino to parmigiano, very well grated. when the pasta is ready ladle pasta water into your cheese slooooowly while whisking to create a slurry. check the consistency to be not too thin and loose. remove pasta from water and add to butter/pepper pan and stir. then add your slurry.

so, after trial and error at home and much research, i finally mastered the cacio e pepe dish. sadly, i didn’t measure, but here is my take; a thick pasta like pici or bucatini. in a large fry type pan place a pat or 2 of butter, unsalted is better and melt in low heat while you have a pot of water boiling. aggressively salt water. to the butter, add 3-4 tablespoons of pepper. ground is fine, cracked is better. mix pepper and butter and leave on low. in a separate mixing bowl add a 3:1 ratio of pecorino to parmigiano, very well grated. when the pasta is ready ladle pasta water into your cheese slooooowly while whisking to create a slurry. check the consistency to be not too thin and loose. remove pasta from water and add to butter/pepper pan and stir. then add your slurry.
Here you go

As i am not a huge fan of black pepper, that is not a dish i make at home. I would much rather play with variations of alfredo (even that is a bit heavy for me these days). I will say that pecorino is a preference for me over parm. (y)

as a huge sports fan, it appears that will be a major concession living here. 7p games are 1a here. 1p games are 7p. hard to set roto lineups. but, knowing the scores 6 hours ahead of everyone in the states might help.

As i am not a huge fan of black pepper, that is not a dish i make at home. I would much rather play with variations of alfredo (even that is a bit heavy for me these days). I will say that pecorino is a preference for me over parm. (y)
turn it into gricia. cut way back on the pepper, to the butter add guanciale. use pecorino only for a slurry. try it with rigatoni.

No update on the position in Geneva for my wife. I was hoping before Xmas, but more likely to get news in 2024.
is it a paycut?
Depends on the taxes I think. Almost all countries have agreements that ig you work for this agency, income is tax free. The USA isn't one of those countries.

I think it'll be a wash after the duty station adjustment. School for the kids and cost of living is another story though there is a dependent school stipend. No idea how much that is.

This position isn't for the $. It's for the experience.

decided to make a scratch cacio e pepe, so of course i’m waiting outside the supermarket for it to reopen after being closed 2.5 hours for lunch…….everyday. lol

just an FYI, Im going on 2yrs here now, and I still show up to stores during "lunch" expecting them to be open...

so, dont expect to get used to it any time soon. I absolutely LOATHE it.

decided to make a scratch cacio e pepe, so of course i’m waiting outside the supermarket for it to reopen after being closed 2.5 hours for lunch…….everyday. lol

just an FYI, Im going on 2yrs here now, and I still show up to stores during "lunch" expecting them to be open...

where are you located? it’s weird, i don’t really plan my day on things being open…..i take it for granted, but somehow i always find myself out during the lunch siesta. it’s like everyday here is 2 completely different days; morning and afternoon.

where are you located? it’s weird, i don’t really plan my day on things being open…..i take it for granted, but somehow i always find myself out during the lunch siesta. it’s like everyday here is 2 completely different days; morning and afternoon.

brittany, france.
but same difference... I always run out during the early afternoon, like I did back home.... and always denied. i can't get used to it. luckily I have a bakery next door that only closes sundays, but open all hours... but kills me when i need groceries, or bank or whatever

so, 5.30p here we meet with the school admin about classes to satisfy the visa. next wednesday construction starts on the screened room. gas mower and blower both work.

so, in our kitchen floor there is a big understair storage room where there is a washer and a college style freezer and fridge. we don’t need the freezer and fridge so we removed them. we want the space to be more of a pantry and multi purpose. we want to add a dryer, but they just don’t do vented machines here. we did research and spoke to the salesguy at euronics so today we will buy the non vent type dryer. apparently they do dry clothes and don’t leave them damp, which was my concern. they just aren’t very big nor efficient. but, i am not a savage and can’t keep hanging clothes all over the property. now i am going to try and turn on the chainsaw, if i don’t write again you know what happened.

so, 5.30p here we meet with the school admin about classes to satisfy the visa. next wednesday construction starts on the screened room. gas mower and blower both work.

so, in our kitchen floor there is a big understair storage room where there is a washer and a college style freezer and fridge. we don’t need the freezer and fridge so we removed them. we want the space to be more of a pantry and multi purpose. we want to add a dryer, but they just don’t do vented machines here. we did research and spoke to the salesguy at euronics so today we will buy the non vent type dryer. apparently they do dry clothes and don’t leave them damp, which was my concern. they just aren’t very big nor efficient. but, i am not a savage and can’t keep hanging clothes all over the property. now i am going to try and turn on the chainsaw, if i don’t write again you know what happened.

apparently they do dry clothes and don’t leave them damp
********. I had one of these when I lived in Spain. Takes like 3 hours to partially dry a small load. Terrible for time efficiency. Guess that's why many people don't like to wash their clothes in Europe.

Yeah, if you’re spending any longer amount of time in Europe just know that drying your clothes is going to suck badly.
Our place in amalfi had one of these “dryers”. We used it once. Took 3+ hours. We aired out our unmentionables after that.

apparently they do dry clothes and don’t leave them damp
********. I had one of these when I lived in Spain. Takes like 3 hours to partially dry a small load. Terrible for time efficiency. Guess that's why many people don't like to wash their clothes in Europe.

Yeah, if you’re spending any longer amount of time in Europe just know that drying your clothes is going to suck badly.
Our place in amalfi had one of these “dryers”. We used it once. Took 3+ hours. We aired out our unmentionables after that.
i bought a Beko “dryer”. it’s better than days of swamp ***. keep loads small and pray.

school meeting went well. no worries with the visa and it seems like our schedule will be something like 3 days a week, 2 hours per day. i’d rather another solve, but i’ve wasted 2 hours a day on dumber things and it doesn’t wreck entire days.

wife is still pretty dead. may have to run her over to the hospital today or just put her down.

it’s been about 5-6 days of some crazy stomach flu. maybe they can provide a med. with santa’s birthday tomorrow, today is our best chance. i thought this was just ick, but it’s progressed to full fin rot.

wife is still pretty dead. may have to run her over to the hospital today or just put her down.

it’s been about 5-6 days of some crazy stomach flu. maybe they can provide a med. with santa’s birthday tomorrow, today is our best chance. i thought this was just ick, but it’s progressed to full fin rot.
GLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Man that sucks. something similar happened to my wife on a trip to France. It didn’t last as long though. Me trying to communicate with the pharmacist was comical. She ended up giving me some orange alka seltzer type medicine. Still have no idea what is was to this day. It got the wife upright in about 24 hours though. GL

Man that sucks. something similar happened to my wife on a trip to France. It didn’t last as long though. Me trying to communicate with the pharmacist was comical. She ended up giving me some orange alka seltzer type medicine. Still have no idea what is was to this day. It got the wife upright in about 24 hours though. GL
i’ve tried about everything and am getting nowhere. realized that yesterday i went for nyquil and discovered the farmacist gave me a €13 bottle of flower juice. some homeopathic crap. still debating the hospital.

i’ve tried about everything and am getting nowhere. realized that yesterday i went for nyquil and discovered the farmacist gave me a €13 bottle of flower juice. some homeopathic crap. still debating the hospital.
If there’s some orange alka seltzer looking things, that you dissolve in water. Get those. Comes in a tube

If there’s some orange alka seltzer looking things, that you dissolve in water. Get those. Comes in a tube
i’ve got some alka seltzer type thing laying around. may give it a whirl. hope it prevents fin rot.

Go to the hospital. 5 days of that is too much and dehydration starts to become a possibility.
also, i have no base line for her being sick. if she was sick previously, i could figure this out. i’m throwing everything at it with nothing.

orvieto hospital is pretty dumpy, but we got her in. no covid. she is in behind closed cigarette smoke now.

blood work and ct scan with contrast needed

Last edited:
so, this is likely my last update for a bit as i try to get some things in order……not great news for the wife, as prelim diagnosis is appendicitis. she is getting doses of antibiotics to try to knock it out, but there is a chance it needs surgical removal. she is overnighting in the hospital and being moved to the surgical floor. i can come back tomorrow morning around 10a and figure out next steps. outside of a thyroid issue in 2020 she is pretty healthy, never really sick with anything, so this is a huge blow, especially in another country. i would prefer the meds kick in, we go home early and figure stuff out, but we may not have that option. i figure 3-5 days in the hospital if she needs surgery. flight back home is 1/8, but that is low on my worry list. let’s see if this gets knocked out, but i have limited experience with appendix stuff.

so, this is likely my last update for a bit as i try to get some things in order……not great news for the wife, as prelim diagnosis is appendicitis. she is getting doses of antibiotics to try to knock it out, but there is a chance it needs surgical removal. she is overnighting in the hospital and being moved to the surgical floor. i can come back tomorrow morning around 10a and figure out next steps. outside of a thyroid issue in 2020 she is pretty healthy, never really sick with anything, so this is a huge blow, especially in another country. i would prefer the meds kick in, we go home early and figure stuff out, but we may not have that option. i figure 3-5 days in the hospital if she needs surgery. flight back home is 1/8, but that is low on my worry list. let’s see if this gets knocked out, but i have limited experience with appendix stuff.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Best to you and the Mrs. I've been enjoying this thread mostly silently, but it's been a blast...until now. Sorry you're dealing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread