What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MY List of Top 100 Instrumental Songs/Artists - and at #1 Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider said:
A non-instrumental as the number 2 instrumental? Nice. 

The Great Gig in the Sky is awesome, for sure. 
I apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1. Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group (live version)

The live version IMHO does this song the most justice. Edgar Winter was the Prince of his time. Dude can do everything. Very talented performer.

Studio recording

"Frankenstein" is an instrumental by The Edgar Winter Group from their 1972 album They Only Come Out at Night.

The song topped the US Billboard Hot 100 chart for one week in May 1973, being replaced by Paul McCartney's "My Love". It sold over one million copies. In Canada it fared equally well, reaching #1 on the RPM 100 Top Singles Chart the following month. That same month the song peaked at #18 in the UK. The following month, the song peaked at #10 in Mexico. The song also peaked at #39 in West Germany, remaining on the chart for only a week. The single was certified gold June 19, 1973 by the RIAA.

The song's title, coined by the band's drummer Chuck Ruff, derives from the fact that the original recording of the song was much longer than the final version, as the band would often deviate from the arrangement into less structured jams. The track required numerous edits to shorten it. The end result was spliced together from many sections of recording. Winter frequently refers to the appropriateness of the name also in relation to its "monster-like, lumbering beat". (One riff was first used by Winter in the song "Hung Up", on his jazz-oriented first album Entrance. He later tried a variation on it, "Martians" on the 1981 Standing on Rock album.)

Winter played many of the instruments on the track, including keyboards, saxophone and timbales. As the release's only instrumental cut, the song was not initially intended to be on the album, and was only included on a whim as a last-minute addition. It was originally released as the B-side to "Hangin' Around", but the two were soon reversed by the label when disc jockeys nationwide in the United States, as well as in Canada, were inundated with phone calls and realized this was the hit. The song features a "double" drum solo, with Ruff on drums and Winter on percussion. In fact, the working title of the song was "The Double Drum Song". The single was one of the few No. 1 chart records to include an extended passage featuring the ARP 2600 synthesizer. The group performed the song on The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1973.

The song was actually performed three years previously when Edgar was playing with his older brother Johnny Winter at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970. This rare recording was recently released as one of several live bonus tracks included in the two-disc Deluxe Edition CD of Johnny Winter's Second Winter. Rolling Stone lists it as one of the top 25 best rock instrumentals.

Sections of the track were edited and sequenced into idents and jingles for Alan Freeman's Top 40 and Saturday Rock Show on UK's BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 2 for many years, often followed with Freeman's trademark opening line "Greetings Pop Pickers..."

In live performances of the song, Edgar Winter further pioneered the advancement of the synthesizer as a lead instrument by becoming the first person ever to strap a keyboard instrument around his neck, giving him the on-stage mobility and audience interaction of guitar players.

The song is described as a hard rock and prog-rock instrumental, and an example of art rock by non-art rock bands.

"Frankenstein" has been covered by the rock group Phish 87 times as of February 2016, with the first time in 1989; keyboardist Page McConnell often utilizes a keytar for the synthesizer solo. The bass player Marcus Miller. In 1991 it was covered by the thrash metal band Overkill on their album Horrorscope. The Southern California band Bazooka covered "Frankenstein" on their 1993 debut album Perfectly Square. In 1996, British psychedelic glam group Doctor and the Medics wrote lyrics to go along with "Frankenstein" and included it on their album Instant Heaven. Derek Sherinian's 2001 solo album Inertia includes his cover of the song. It was covered in 2003 by surfer-rock guitarist Gary Hoey. Tomoyasu Hotei covered it on his 2009 covers album Modern Times Rock'N'Roll. Claude François, the French singer and writer of "My Way", used the song, played with a brass section, as an introductory theme to his live concerts. Primus covered the song at midnight during their 2012/2013 New Year's Eve show. A few bars of an edited version of the song feature at the very beginning of the 1993 film, Wayne's World 2, as the Paramount Pictures 'Stars' logo appears. Those Darn Accordions recorded an accordion-based version of the song for their 2004 album Lawnball. There is a cover version of the song on Guitar Hero, one of the tougher songs on the game. Warren Hill features a version for saxophone on his 2015 release Under the Influence.

Rock violinist Deni Bonet covered the song on her 2017 album Bright Shiny Objects. The track features Liberty DeVitto, longtime drummer for Billy Joel, and Lenny Kravitz' bass player Jack Daley among others. This version was also orchestrated by Danny Elfman's orchestrator Steve Bartek. Bonet premiered it in October 2017 with the award-winning Baylor University Symphony to a standing ovation.

They Might Be Giants have covered this song in their live repertoire for many years, mainly between 1992–1995.

The 1995 pinball table Mary Shelley's Frankenstein includes a version of this song.

I’m sure there are lots of iconic and beautiful pieces that did not make my list. In fact, I have a few of my own that did not make it. 

ETA: I hate this song. 
Yeah, impossible to really nail anything like this down perfectly. You could do a separate list for jazz, rock and classical and still not get everything deserving on the list. Also, I agree the Canon in D is meh. If you are cool with it, I might post some songs I think deserved a spot- not out of disrespect to your list, but just under the ideo that sharing music and talking about music is fun.

Yeah, impossible to really nail anything like this down perfectly. You could do a separate list for jazz, rock and classical and still not get everything deserving on the list. Also, I agree the Canon in D is meh. If you are cool with it, I might post some songs I think deserved a spot- not out of disrespect to your list, but just under the ideo that sharing music and talking about music is fun.
Please do so

i get that there are way too many instrumentals pieces to rank a top 100 or top 1000 and the intent to to generate discussion and sharing which is my intent, as well.  

Fun list - good job. #1 the instrumental equivalent to Bohemian Rhapsody, car-radio-air-guitarwise. Off the top o my head, disappointments would be no Jeff Beck (Bolero, Because We Ended As Lovers) and, mostly, nothing off the greatest instrumental album of 20th C, Kind of Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun list - good job. #1 the instrumental equivalent to Bohemian Rhapsody, car-radio-air-guitarwise. Off the top o my head, disappointments would be no Jeff Beck (Bolero, Because We Ended As Lovers) and, mostly, nothing off the greatest instrumental album of 20th C, Kind of Blue
I thought about Kind of Blue a lot and it's issue is that there is no clear "hit" if you will. 

And pompous. 
Sure but that never turned me off from classical music- the creation of pomp is one of the core tenets of classical music. And it is an interesting piece in that we don't have any idea where it was written (there is like a 30 year window in the late 1600s-early 1700s) and we don't know why it was written. It went out of style rather quickly and remained fairly obscure until the 1970s and now everyone in the Western World for 4 generations is familiar with it. 

Beck’s Bolero was on most top lists. I’ve just never been a Beck fan. I can appreciate his talent. Just doesn’t do anything for me. 

Sure but that never turned me off from classical music- the creation of pomp is one of the core tenets of classical music. And it is an interesting piece in that we don't have any idea where it was written (there is like a 30 year window in the late 1600s-early 1700s) and we don't know why it was written. It went out of style rather quickly and remained fairly obscure until the 1970s and now everyone in the Western World for 4 generations is familiar with it. 
I would suspect that is because you hear it played at every wedding... except mine. 

Please do so

i get that there are way too many instrumentals pieces to rank a top 100 or top 1000 and the intent to to generate discussion and sharing which is my intent, as well.  
Thanks for opening this door. I've been thinking about offering some ideas outside of this list (which I thought was well done!) but I didn't want to come across as bitter or a know-it-all. Instead, I see it as an opportunity to expand horizons / share some good tunes that were either missed or might be completely unknown. I'll be back with more but for starters, here is Genesis doing Los Endos.

An all-time favorite of mine, Larks Tongue in Aspic Part I. By now there are many more parts but this was the tune that started it all. Except it is not really a tune, more of an aural soundscape that evolves into a proto-metal and jazz fusion edifice. For my money, the culmination of the crescendo at the 3:40 mark is one of the most beautiful and powerful slices of music I've ever heard. I suspect that Fripp and friends turned the levels down to nearly zero to begin the song, inspiring folks to crank up the volume so as to hear at least something, and then at that 3:40 mark (and again at 4:42) they went for the speaker-blow-out by lashing out power chords on unsuspecting listeners. Shades of the Surprise symphony, protean metal-- prog rock at its apex: Larks Tongue in Aspic

Interesting you have Vulfpeck - but not the masters of all time in that genre 

The Meters - Cissy Strut

Also missing a few more New Orleans tunes - from the great Allan Toussaint

Java  - here's the Al Hirt hit

Whipped Cream 

And one of my favorites - Smokey Johnson

Ain't My Fault  - quintessential New Orleans drumbeat of the brass band classic

good list however - love the Kool and the Gang #

Yes!  I love that about it.  And also that you weren't going with just the obvious choices.

Well, except this.  An obvious choice I would have wanted to see...and one of my favorite albums ever.
I wanted to include Miles, and I tried. But he is another one of those where I can definitely appreciate that talent, but it just doesn’t resonate with me.

When I hear it, I dig it. But I never have a time where I think to myself... man I sure could go for some Miles Davis right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread