What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Predictions for the 2015 draft and free agency (1 Viewer)

travdogg

Footballguy
So, I did one of these last year, and it was pretty well received, so I figured why not try again. I will be listing the teams in draft order, and then by 1st round choice, and subsequent free agent moves.

1. Tampa Bay= Marcus Mariota, Tampa needs a franchise QB badly, also I think Lovie will be turned off of Winston due to his character concerns. .

Bryan Bulaga, gives the Bucs a bookend for last years FA pickup Anthony Collins. Bucs pass blocking was awful last season.

Jabaal Sheard, likewise should bookend Michael Johnson, Bucs need a pass rusher with the division they are in. Cover-2 needs the ends to get pressure on their own.

Dawan Landry, trading Mark Barron left a hole to fill at safety. Landry should be cheap, and a solid patch for a year or two.

2. Tennessee= Jameis Winston, There is a lot of talk about the Titans sticking with Mettenberger, but he's a 6th round guy, who has finished either of his last 2 seasons healthy. I think the Titans are the worst team on paper in the NFL so why not take a flier on an elite talent with issues.

Justin Houston, I think KC drafted Dee Ford last year, knowing that Houston would likely not be affordable. Titans likely make him the highest paid pass rusher short of JJ Watt.

Stefan Wisniewski, some interior line help should open holes for Sankey and the running game. They need to rebuild the o-line.

Nate Allen, Michael Griffin is no longer a dependable player and Bernard Pollard is coming off achilles surgery and was kind of slow to begin with.

3. Jacksonville= Randy Gregory, gets to the QB as well as anyone in this class, and the Jags know they aren't a playoff threat until they can contain Luck.

Mike Iupati, Zane Beadles was a nice addition last year, but as of now, he's the only above average lineman on the Jags.

Jordan Cameron, perhaps the biggest key for the Jags is developing Bortles, Robinson, Blackmon(hopefully) Lee and Hurns form a fine WR group, but a seam stretching TE could be a major benefit.

David Harris, Posluzny is a likely cut, and had been declining before tearing his pec. Harris is younger, cheaper, and better.

4. Oakland= Amari Cooper, I think Cooper isn't as good as any of the top-3 WRs taken last year, but that shouldn't be held against him, as that was an amazing group. Carr looks like a keeper, but he needs weapons if he is going to prove it.

Jerry Hughes, Woodley was a bust last season, and Tuck is getting up there, though still good. Hughes gives them an upgrade, and should still have several good years in him.

King Dunlap, would be a huge upgrade on Khalif Barnes at RT. Struck gold with Penn last year.

Malcom Smith, solid contributor who Seattle likely won't be able to keep. Allows Khalil Mack to be more of a pass rusher.

5. Washington= Landon Collins, it has been several years, and they still have yet to replace the late Sean Taylor. Collins is probably the best safety prospect to come out since Eric Berry.

Michael Roos, Jay Gruden is still trying to weed out the zone blockers he inherited, and replace they with bigger bodies. Roos will make a fine bookend to Trent Williams.

Jason Worilds, Pittsburgh only keeps their best guys, so Worilds likely moves on. He's a cheap alternative to replace Orakpo.

Shaun Hill, basically a better Colt McCoy, Hill should bring some veteran leadership to the team, and a solid backup if they end up dealing Cousins.

6. New York Jets= Shane Ray, great athlete, who should develop pass rush skills in time. Might be a bit high, but the Jets have needed a pass rusher for years, and may even more now that Rex Ryan is gone.

Mark Sanchez, probably a little controversial here, they don't pick high enough for a top QB, and Geno is a major question mark. Sanchez led them to multiple AFC title games, and should be a much better fit in Chan Gailey's offense, which made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like a good QB.

Tramon Williams, The Jets have nothing at CB. Williams brings experience and leadership and will likely be teaming with some mid round rookies.

Rob Sims, Ferguson and Mangold are great, the rest of the o-line has been an issue arguably since Faneca left.

7. Chicago= Leonard Williams, probably a little lower than most have him, I think he has questions about his motor that could cause him to fall a bit. The Bears basically need almost an entire front seven though, so the risk is worth a shot.

Brandon Spikes, should give a shot of toughness and the old school Bear mentality.

Devin McCourty, can't see the Pats finding room to keep him and Revis. Bears get a major free agency prize here.

Will Montgomery, a utility o-lineman who can start at center or guard.

8. Atlanta= Dante Fowler, a sure thing in my opinion, though maybe less upside then some of his pass rushing peers in this draft. Falcons haven't replaced John Abraham yet.

Orlando Franklin, was miscast in Denver as a guard, I think he is a RT, who excels at run blocking.

DeMarco Murray, Falcons haven't had a good running game in about 5 years. Murray should be great in Kyle Shanahan's zone blocking scheme, and serve as Dan Quinn's new Marshawn Lynch.

Jermaine Gresham, he's a mediocre TE, but mediocre is a gigantic upgrade on what they tried to replace Tony Gonzalez with last year.

9. New York Giants= La'El Collins, other than Will Beatty everybody else on the Giants o-line is a question mark. Keeping Eli clean is still the #1 priority.

Jason Pierre Paul, I think he resigns, frankly I think he'll be disappointed by his market, and maybe even be cheaper than expected.

Rahim Moore, the giants top-3 safeties from a year ago are all FAs, and I think they want to get younger there anyway. moore is younger and an upgrade.

Mason foster, Giants need a run stopper, Beason might be at the end of the line, and may be a cap casualty.

10. Saint Louis= Brandon Scherff, a lot of similarities between him and Zack martin last year. Jeff Fisher wants to run the ball, and protect Sam Bradford, and this would help both.

Randall Cobb, Brian Quick looks like a keeper, and Stedman Bailey has some nice qualities, but they need a #1 WR. Cobb creates on his own, and can go deep or over the middle.

Christian Ponder, Jeff Fisher has never been one to shy away from a reclamation project. Ponder seems salvageable, he just wasn't going to be in minnesota.

Niles Paul, Rams run a lot of 2 TE sets, and Kendricks is unlikely to return as a FA, Paul brings much more to the table as a pass catcher.

11.Minnesota= Kevin White, may have more talent than Cooper but not as sure a thing. I think Patterson is close to becoming another Ted Ginn, and Jennings may not have much left. Johnson looks like a keeper, but Bridgewater could use a true #1.

Doug Free, can play guard, and can be an insurance policy if Kalil doesn't get back to his rookie year form.

Antonio Cromartie, Xavier Rhodes had an excellent 2nd year, and Munnerlyn is a very good slot CB, but an outside CB is needed. Zimmer likes to play man coverage, and Cromartie excels there.

Lance Briggs, Anthony Barr had a solid rookie season, but the rest of the LB group looks suspect. Greenway needs to take a huge paycut or be cut, and Hodges is really more of a good backup then starter. Briggs can play inside or out, and would be a solid leader for the young Vikings defense.

12. Cleveland= Arik Armstead, solid run stuffer, with ok pass rush skills. Very safe pick, which is exactly what the Browns need after all the issues they have had this past year.

Jake Locker, I can't see them trading up for a top QB, but they can't feel comfortable with Manziel right now. Locker still is young enough, that if a change of scenery helps him, there is still franchise QB upside.

Charles Clay, Jordan Cameron will not be back, but TE will be a big part of the Browns offense, and Clay is a good replacement.

13. New Orleans= Shaq Thompson, great athlete with a lot of range, should inject a ton of playmaking ability to the Saints dreadful LB situation.

Byron Maxwell, need a bookend to keenan Lewis, who had a down year himself in 2014. Maxwell gives them a #1 CB, and may come at a slight discount as many believe him to be a product of Seattle's defense.

Clint boling, solid lunchpail guy for the interior line.

Michael Vick, a backup QB patch, while they probably draft a guy late this year or next year, Vick also offers some upside as a trick play package guy, and Sean Payton is a guy that values that.

14. Miami= Eric Kendricks, a playmaking 3-down LB. Miami has tried and failed to find one in free agency, but get one here.

Rodney Hudson, can play center or guard, and can complement Pouncey or replace him. Gets paired up with brandon Albert again.

Buster Skrine, a cheaper, younger alternative to Courtland Finnegan.

Rob Housler, Charles Clay is likely gone. I think Dion Sims has a lot of upside, and Housler would likely work in tandem with him.

15. San Francisco= Trae Waynes, Culliver and Cox are FAs, and Waynes is a safe, solid prospect at CB.

Michael Crabtree, like Pierre-Paul, I think Crabtree's market will be low enough that he'll end up staying put for less than he was hoping.

James Carpenter, Iupati is going to leave, maybe Marcus Martin steps up, but the 49ers will want to at least have an insurance policy.

Virgil Green, blocking TE, who should allow Vernon Davis more time to be a pass catcher first. Young enough that he may be the future replacement for Davis as well.

16. Houston= Andrus Peat, great run blocker, with decent pass blocking skills. Fits at RT, with Newton a FA.

Brian Hoyer, Bill O'Brien is a big Hoyer fan, and he'd get every chance to compete with Fitzpatrick for the starting job.

Antrell Rolle, Fills the hole besides DJ Swearinger, can also be a nickel corner if need be.

stephen Paea, good run stuffer, would be solid part time player along with Louis Nix, who showed nothing as rookie,

17. San Diego= Eli Harold, elite talent, but very raw. Chargers aren't afraid to take risks on these types of players.

Derek Newton, had a good year with Houston and now will likely cash in on it. I could see the Chargers moving Fluker to another position so Newton would play RT.

Louis Delmas, gives them a solid player opposite Eric Weddle, more of a hitter and run stuffer than Gilchrist was.

Ryan Mathews, I think he's important to them. Oliver and Woodhead are nice, but are both better used as part time players, mathews(when healthy) still has foundation back qualities.

18. Kansas City= Cameron Erving, don't often see centers going this high, but when they do, it is because they are great talents. Erving replaces Hudson for KC, and projects to be an upgrade long term. Big fan of this guy.

Kenny Britt, I don't see the Chiefs making a big splash at WR, but they need to get somebody who at the very least is better than Donnie Avery. Britt had a bit of a rejuvenation this season, and could push to be the Chiefs top WR.

Marcus Gilchrist, can play both corner and safety. I look at him as a nickel guy, who is also insurance if Eric Berry isn't back.

Rolando McClain, Jerry Jones would love to keep him, but they need other things and Sean lee should be back. KC needs a guy opposite, or possibly in place of Derrick Johnson depending where he is after achilles surgery.

19. Cleveland= DeVante Parker, Browns need a WR with Gordon gone again(maybe for good this time) Parker is a big catch machine, who will be a huge help to whomever plays QB for Cleveland.

20. Philadelphia= Bud Dupree another great athlete, but raw pass rusher. Eagles have the luxury to pick a more developmental prospect t han most, especially if Trent Cole restructures.

Jeremy Maclin, can't see them letting him get away, especially a year after letting D-Jax go.

Ryan Mallett, Nick Foles will likely enter 2015 as the starter, but it also may come with a short leash, Chip kelly has been hesitant to commit to Foles, and much like last year, I think they will add a QB with upside to challenge him.

Kareem Jackson, should be a big upgrade on Bradley Fletcher. Has the size to match up with guys like Dez Bryant that the Eagles crave outside, as Boykin(while great) seems to be limited to slot corner.

Da'Norris Searcy, thought to be more of a hitter, he greatly improved in coverage last season, should replace Nate Allen just fine.

21. Cincinnati= Danny Shelton, can be dominant at times, but is very inconsistent. Domata Peko has been declining recently, and a replacement could be needed. Shelton would likely be considered a bit of a steal here.

Sean Weatherspoon, was a very rangy LB before his injury, with Rey Mulalaga a FA and Vontaze Burfict's future up in the air, Weatherspoon makes for a solid addition.

Tarvaris Jackson, Andy Dalton has more job security than some Bengals fans would like, but if something were to happen to him, the cupboard is bare behind him. I think Jackson is an upgrade on Jason Campbell, who is also a FA.

Nate Washington, the lack of WR depth was exposed when both Green and Marvin jones were hurt last season. washington is a cheap option, who can fill in at any WR position if need be.

22. Pittsburgh= Vic Beasley, another great athlete who is maybe a bit raw. With Worilds a FA, and Jarvis Jones showing little, another pass rusher is likely what the steelers need most.

Brandon Flowers, had a nice resurgence last season, and the Steelers need major help at CB, Cortez Allen is their top guy, and he's somewhat stretched as a #2 CB.

Jared Odrick, Heyward and McClendon are nice, but the other end spot need help. Tuitt was a non factor last year, and they can't be counting on a big step up.

Mark Ingram, this one requires an explanation. I feel the Steelers wanted to be a 2 RB team all along last season, but Blount wasn't up to it for whatever reason, Bell was never intended to touch the ball as often as he did. I also believe that teams will consider Ingram's breakout season as the outlier for him, and his market will be very low, hence a committee job.

23. Detroit= TJ Clemmings, great RT prospect on a team that needs one. Lions have the fewest holes they've had in sometime, so they can go in a number of directions.

Ndamakong Suh, I think somehow, they find a way to retain him. Cleverly made contract, maybe some other guys restructure, something.

Perrish Cox, While Rashean Mathis had a nice season he's 34 and the Lions will likely want to get younger.

Akeem Ayers, a situational pass rusher opposite Ziggy Ansah, Ayers looked like a new man after getting out of Tennessee.

24. Arizona= Malcom Brown, he's a candidate to go higher, but it would be a no brainer for arizona if he falls here. Great long term replacement for dockett and likely short term replacement for dan Williams.

Greg Hardy, somebody has to sign him, why not a team desperate for pass rushers. Good chance he comes in WAY below market value too.

CJ Spiller, people may think he is too similar to Ellington, but that is kind of on purpose. I think this offense really falls off without the threat of big plays out of the RB position, one could argue they missed Ellington almost as much as Palmer down the stretch. This would close to a 50-50 committee.

Patrick Robinson, he's not exactly a replacement for Cromartie as he is replacing Cromartie. Still he has some upside, and you don't need an all-pro opposite Peterson.

25. Carolina= Ereck Flowers, Panthers are still looking to replace Jordan Gross. Flowers may be a slight reach here, but this is by far the biggest need Carolina has.

Cecil Shorts, has playmaking ability when healthy, and gives them somebody who at the very least can clear out space for guys like Olsen and Cotchery.

Brandon graham, really missed Greg Hardy last year, that bridge seems burned, so graham is the next best thing.

Chris Culliver, good talent, who occasionally gets lost. Panthers need another CB, and he is a nice combo of young and cheap with upside.

26. Baltimore= Marcus Peters, a ton of talent with some character concerns. These are the type of guys Ozzie Newsome always seems to steal in the draft. Can develop behind Jimmy Smith and Ladarius Webb.

Torrey Smith, has more value to them then the stats show. Teams are afraid of Smith and almost also have a safety lurking deep, which helps the entire offense.

Eddie Royal, in a way he's a better Jacoby Jones, but that is still understating his value. The Ravens haven't really had a slot WR since Boldin left(Steve Smith seemed wasted there last year) and Flacco could use the WR group to be 3 deep.

Derrick Morgan, McPhee is likely gone, and the Ravens like to rotate their pass rushers, also Siggs and Dumervil are both on the wrong side of 30, and may need their snaps managed even more going forard.

Justin Forsett, simply had too good a season to let go. Time will tell how much of that was Kubiak, and how much was just finally getting a shot to be a featured RB. I think they go in with him, Taliaferro and pierce again next season.

27. Dallas= Todd Gurley, can't see Murray being affordable, and Randle and Dunbar seem like change of pace guys. Though they are both good enough to allow the Cowboys to break Gurley in slowly if need be.

Dez Bryant, 0% chance he leaves.

Brian Orakpo, should come discounted due to some injury plagued years, but still has a lot of talent. Jerry Jones also loves sticking it too division rivals.

Byron Bell, Doug free will likely price himself out of Dallas' range, Bell is a downgrade, but much cheaper, and the o-line is strong enough where one downgrade won't bury it.

Davon House, Dallas can always use secondary depth. Carr and Scandrick played well down the stretch, but there isn't much behind them. Claiborne is a complete mystery.

28. Denver= Jordan Phillps, Terrance Knighton seems likely to depart, and Phillips is a good prospect who could be a part of the replacement.

Demaryius Thomas, #1 priority is too keep him.

Julius Thomas, I really don't think he'll have a big market. i think he'll be seen as an injury prone product of Manning.

Brian De La Puente, Franklin's departure creates an issue in the interior, I like de la Puente as a utility backup who can play center or guard.

Mike Adams, had a nice contract year with Indy, I think he parlays that into being Rahim moore's replacement.

29. Indianapolis= Chris Hackett, complete safety with good range and tackling ability. Has upside to be Colts best safety since Bob Sanders.

Pernell McPhee, Bjeorn Werner looks like a bust, and Robert Mathis is coming off an achilles tear. Pass rushers are needed.

Jason Fox, Gosder Cherilus has been a bit of a disappointment since he was signed, I think Fox could give them an alternative if he keeps it up, or a solid swing tackle if Cherilus improves.

Frank Gore, I like Boom Herron a lot. I think Bradshaw's durabilty might get him pushed out, but I expect Herron to be heavily involved next year. i like gore as both a veteran leader and as a great pass blocker. Probably could be cheap too.

30. Green Bay=Quinten Rollins, Rollins has great quickness and big play ability. Would be a great fit replacing Tramon Williams.

Nick Fairley, I think he's been miscast his entire career, this is an elite 3-4 end in my opinion. I think the Packers will see that too and initially add him as a rotational piece, but I think he'd blossom in that scheme.

Jermey Parnell, possible replacement for Bulaga, if Barclay can't get healthy.

Lance Kendricks, I think they could use another TE. Rodgers doesn't look like anything special and Quarless is just a guy, this is a TEBC if there ever was one.

31. Seattle= Dorial Green-Beckham, I think this is as far as he can fall before a team just says screw it this guy could be an all-pro let's risk it. Let's face it, the reason the Seahawks weren't back to back champs is because they don't have WRs who can consistently win 1-on-1 matchups.

Terrance Knighton, I think the Seahawks find room for one big ticket item and this is it. The run defense was quite a bit weaker this year than last, but adding a guy like this should be the recipe to fix that.

Jimmy Wilson, solid CB depth. I expect Lane and Simon to be promoted in the wake of Maxwell's departure.

Dominic Raiola, cheap veteran interior line depth. Doesn't sound like he's going to retire, but could be valuable as a backup center and guard.

32. New England= AJ Cann, a lot of people I'm sure would love to predict Melvin Gordon here, but that isn't really the Pats style. Cann is a solid blocker who allows them more o=line flexability and should be a long term staple.

Dan Williams, Wilfork is getting up in years, and need more breaks than before, Williams would allow they to never have to be without an anchor in the middle.

Stevie Brown, a cheap option to replace McCourty, who i think will be unlikely to be retained.

Shane Vereen, the only versatile RB they have(I'll believe James White when I see it) Vereen proved his worth in the super bowl and will likely be rewarded for it, especially since it likely won't cost too much.

ETA: I somehow forgot to post Buffalo, though I didn't forget them.

Matt Moore, basically a younger and cheaper version of Orton, good insurance in case Manuel's second chance doesn't work out.

Joseph Barksdale, ok tackle, who can play guard, good enough to compete for a starting job, or be high end depth.

Adrian Clayborn, had a really nice first 2 seasons in Tampa, then got hurt and struggled to regain form. I think he fits well as a 3-4 end in Rex's new 3-4 defense, though if they run a hybrid defense he can play end or tackle in 4-3 looks. Also, comes at a fraction of the price retaining Hughes would.

Owen Daniels, gives them another option in the passing game, I think he and Chandler together could lead to more 2 TE sets, which new OC Greg Roman featured quite a bit in San Fran.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup great post and thread but a little tough to read with the formatting. However, you must have put boatloads of thought and time into the post. This is why I come to the Shark Pool. Great job!

Not sure GB will be letting Bulaga, cobb, House, and Tramon all go.

Nice write up and a ton of work though.

11.Minnesota= Kevin White, may have more talent than Cooper but not as sure a thing. I think Patterson is close to becoming another Ted Ginn, and Jennings may not have much left. Johnson looks like a keeper, but Bridgewater could use a true #1.Doug Free, can play guard, and can be an insurance policy if Kalil doesn't get back to his rookie year form.

Antonio Cromartie, Xavier Rhodes had an excellent 2nd year, and Munnerlyn is a very good slot CB, but an outside CB is needed. Zimmer likes to play man coverage, and Cromartie excels there.

Lance Briggs, Anthony Barr had a solid rookie season, but the rest of the LB group looks suspect. Greenway needs to take a huge paycut or be cut, and Hodges is really more of a good backup then starter. Briggs can play inside or out, and would be a solid leader for the young Vikings defense.
Spielman has been targeting young free agents over the last 5 years. He choose not to resign veterans like Kevin Williams, Jared Allen, and Antoine Winfield. One of the few vets he added was Greg Jennings after losing out on Mike Wallace. I believe that he continues with their youth movement and continues to sign vets that are on their 2nd contract not their 3rd or 4th negotiated deal. I won't be surprised if you go 0 for 3 on the free agents.

Most people are guessing that the team will choose to reunite Bridgewater with Parker rather than White. My gut feeling is the Vikings will draft a player to compete with Brian Robison over positions most regard as a bigger need.

Yeah I don't see that happening. Especially Cobb after losing Jennings, Jones and Findley the last couple of years. Gordon needs to be in the 1st round as well.

Overall nice post.

To the last 2 posters:

@Donnybrook- I would consider WR a huge need for Minny. Obviously it would do wonders for Teddy to get his old WR back. Instant chemistry. That's BIG for a young QB. And let's a rapport develop between the two young players that will last for years.

@Pipes- if there's one of those guys I do see going it's actually Cobb. Obviously you're not gonna mess with Rodger's protection and let Bulaga go. But Adams has proven himself a suitable replacement as a WR2. Obviously he won't be as versatile, but you don't need versatility with Aaron as your QB.

To the last 2 posters:

@Donnybrook- I would consider WR a huge need for Minny. Obviously it would do wonders for Teddy to get his old WR back. Instant chemistry. That's BIG for a young QB. And let's a rapport develop between the two young players that will last for years.

@Pipes- if there's one of those guys I do see going it's actually Cobb. Obviously you're not gonna mess with Rodger's protection and let Bulaga go. But Adams has proven himself a suitable replacement as a WR2. Obviously he won't be as versatile, but you don't need versatility with Aaron as your QB.
Even if Cobb stays I think they need to add another WR. Rodgers is in his 30s now and they've lost a lot of weapons for him with Adams really being the only addition. I think they have to keep Cobb. I think Bulaga stays as well as the Packers have some cap room. I think Tramon is gone.

Agree with Pipes.

Ron Wolf said one of his biggest regrets was not giving Favre enough weapons for some of those years. I think Thompson has learned from that and knows Adams cant replace Cobb.

To the last 2 posters:

I've seen the Parker to Minny thought process, but I think that logic is flawed. Chemistry is nice, but chemistry can be created. White is a much better player than Parker in my opinion.

Yeah I don't see that happening. Especially Cobb after losing Jennings, Jones and Findley the last couple of years. Gordon needs to be in the 1st round as well.

Overall nice post.
Actually that is why I think they let Cobb go. it is in their nature to do so. I think they drafted Adams and Janis with the expectation that if either of them popped, Cobb was expendable, and in my eyes Adams did just that. They'll still have Nelson, Adams, Janis, boykin and abberdaris at WR. Also, I think Green bay would have to pay cobb top #1 WR money to stay. he's getting $9 mill/year from somebody.

Gordon is tricky, I think he has a lot of big play ability, but he had some monster holes to run through, and has little leg drive. Chris Johnson had success as that type of back, but is Gordon Chris Johnson or is he Felix Jones. With the way RBs are valued these days I don't think he is worth a 1st rounder to find out. Good 2nd round guy though, probably in the top 8-10 picks of round 2.

To the last 2 posters:

Even if Cobb stays I think they need to add another WR. Rodgers is in his 30s now and they've lost a lot of weapons for him with Adams really being the only addition. I think they have to keep Cobb. I think Bulaga stays as well as the Packers have some cap room. I think Tramon is gone.
I think the Packers would like to keep Cobb and Bulaga, but they are also the best available free agents at their respective positions. I could see them both getting $8-10 mill/yr on the open market. Those aren't prices I see the Packers matching, especially Cobb, considering the Packers track record at developing WRs.

6. New York Jets= Shane Ray, great athlete, who should develop pass rush skills in time. Might be a bit high, but the Jets have needed a pass rusher for years, and may even more now that Rex Ryan is gone.

Mark Sanchez, probably a little controversial here, they don't pick high enough for a top QB, and Geno is a major question mark. Sanchez led them to multiple AFC title games, and should be a much better fit in Chan Gailey's offense, which made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like a good QB.

Tramon Williams, The Jets have nothing at CB. Williams brings experience and leadership and will likely be teaming with some mid round rookies.

Rob Sims, Ferguson and Mangold are great, the rest of the o-line has been an issue arguably since Faneca left.
Cool start.... One thing to remember is the jets have a ton of money and are at the cap floor (40Mill) - They are Forced to spend. With lots of potential cuts / money to spend. So, I Imagine things are going to be shaken up a lot more than what you have here and they will be big time players in the FA game.. Granted they need to spend to lock up Wilkerson and some others but, I can see help coming at OL, CB, LB, RB and WR...

Biggest early decision is Percy Harvin... He's under contract for about 10mill for the year which sounds like a lot but, it's also a 1 year deal for a team with money and doesn't lock them in in case of injury or attitude...I say they kick the tires on the Big WR FA's, if any of them is available for near that Percy 10 Mill, I think it's a no brainer to cut Percy and add one of those guys... Cobb would be a great swap!!!

Gonna need a RB to replace CJ... Talk of Spiller with the Gailey connection...

Also talk of Cromartie coming back with Bowles connection - Not a huge fan of that but, love that Bowles knows exactly what Cro brings to the table in his D...

Major Major changes coming!!! Can't Wait!!!

20. Philadelphia= Bud Dupree another great athlete, but raw pass rusher. Eagles have the luxury to pick a more developmental prospect t han most, especially if Trent Cole restructures.

Jeremy Maclin, can't see them letting him get away, especially a year after letting D-Jax go.

Ryan Mallett, Nick Foles will likely enter 2015 as the starter, but it also may come with a short leash, Chip kelly has been hesitant to commit to Foles, and much like last year, I think they will add a QB with upside to challenge him.

Kareem Jackson, should be a big upgrade on Bradley Fletcher. Has the size to match up with guys like Dez Bryant that the Eagles crave outside, as Boykin(while great) seems to be limited to slot corner.

Da'Norris Searcy, thought to be more of a hitter, he greatly improved in coverage last season, should replace Nate Allen just fine.
The Marcus Smith pick is so despised here I don't know how they'd survive picking another one in the first round.

I wonder whether the Eagles will have trouble attracting any CB pursued by multiple teams. The way the coach the CBs to play is to not turn for the ball, which is awkward and sets up CBs to look stupid. If they do, I'd think it's a taller CB they can just overpay like Maxwell.

Mallett is such a bad scheme fit. Ponder or Tarvaris would make more sense. Or McCoy.

To the last 2 posters:

I've seen the Parker to Minny thought process, but I think that logic is flawed. Chemistry is nice, but chemistry can be created. White is a much better player than Parker in my opinion.

Overall nice post.
Actually that is why I think they let Cobb go. it is in their nature to do so. I think they drafted Adams and Janis with the expectation that if either of them popped, Cobb was expendable, and in my eyes Adams did just that. They'll still have Nelson, Adams, Janis, boykin and abberdaris at WR. Also, I think Green bay would have to pay cobb top #1 WR money to stay. he's getting $9 mill/year from somebody.

Gordon is tricky, I think he has a lot of big play ability, but he had some monster holes to run through, and has little leg drive. Chris Johnson had success as that type of back, but is Gordon Chris Johnson or is he Felix Jones. With the way RBs are valued these days I don't think he is worth a 1st rounder to find out. Good 2nd round guy though, probably in the top 8-10 picks of round 2.
I'd puke if that were the Packers receiving core heading into the season. Major question marks after Jordy. Yes Adams showed flashes and looked good against Dallas but he also had some bad games in the 2nd half of the season. I like Adams and think he'll be good but I'd like him to have another year to develop as a 3. Boykin took a major step backwards in 2014 and is almost waiver wire fodder at this point, Janis is unproven and Abberdaris is coming off an acl.

I completely disagree about Gordon...yes he did have some monster holes but most of his big runs weren't because of the offensive line. Last year was the worst offensive line the Badgers have had in quite some time. They were big but I don't think any of those lineman will be drafted in the first 3 rounds in the NFL. Sophomore center Dan Voltz maybe but there was no Joe Thomas', Travis Fredericks, Peter Konzs...guys like that on the line plus with no QB or WR's every defense stacked the box to stop Gordon. He has great vision and his ability to cut at full speed and his acceleration is what makes him special. He runs with surprising power as well. NFL teams see that and RB isn't as devalued as we think. I don't think Gordon makes it out of the teens maybe early 20's at the latest.

I hope you are wrong about Green Bay, which is not to argue that you are. If Williams goes I think they will use some of that salary space to at least resign House. The may well let Bush walk as well or Bush will receive a pay cut, with that money available to sign guys. Bulaga is an interesting free agent. He is a very good player, but he has a history of injury. I see him being a money decision. the Packers will only pay him so much. He may well get a better offer and leave.

As for Cobb, the Packers do have some talent waiting behind him. He could be a salary casualty. My hope is that Gregg Jennings production without Rodgers serves as a bit of a cautionary tale to other clubs. Cobb's worth may not be all it appears without Rodgers.

I think Hawk is gone, freeing up cap space. Raji is an interesting quandary as well It is tough to predict his worth right now on any market. Finally, Peppers is also a question mark due to age and salary.

In the end the Packers could easily retain Cobb, House, and Bulaga. I hope that they will. but I could easily see the packers letting both Cobb and Bulaga out of the door. There is almost always some desperate bottom feeder with a new coach or GM looking for instant gratification who will overpay for such talent. The Packers generally do not engage in bidding wars.

The Marcus Smith pick is so despised here I don't know how they'd survive picking another one in the first round.

I wonder whether the Eagles will have trouble attracting any CB pursued by multiple teams. The way the coach the CBs to play is to not turn for the ball, which is awkward and sets up CBs to look stupid. If they do, I'd think it's a taller CB they can just overpay like Maxwell.

Mallett is such a bad scheme fit. Ponder or Tarvaris would make more sense. Or McCoy.
Yep, even more of a statue than Foles. Pretty much the worst possible fit for that offense.

Ryan Mathews, I think he's important to them. Oliver and Woodhead are nice, but are both better used as part time players, mathews(when healthy) still has foundation back qualities.
:no:

Nice writeup but you have the Jags replacing the wrong OL position.

3. Jacksonville= Randy Gregory, gets to the QB as well as anyone in this class, and the Jags know they aren't a playoff threat until they can contain Luck.

Mike Iupati, Zane Beadles was a nice addition last year, but as of now, he's the only above average lineman on the Jags.
The problem (aside from their youth) is at RT. Their rookie RG Brandon Linder actually had a better year than Beadles and has the highest PFF rank. Luke Bowanko was solid at center when he stepped in. Still questions about Joeckel at the other tackle too.

Here is what PFF has to say

[SIZE=medium]18. Jacksonville Jaguars (31st)[/SIZE]

2014-OL-INSET-LINDER.png
Pass Block Ranking: 15th, Run Blocking Ranking: 25th, Penalties Ranking: 6th

Stud: There’s no doubt the Jaguars are happy with just how quickly Brandon Linder (+16.6) has acclimatized to life in the NFL. He’s contributed to a top-notch group of rookie guards.

Dud: With eight sacks allowed and a team-worst pass blocking grade, the Jags must have hoped for more from Luke Joeckel by now.

Breakdown: They got better when they replaced Jacques McClendon with Luke Bowanko and have taken a huge step forward this year. A new offensive coordinator will still need to get more out of a unit that didn’t help their rushers enough in the run game.
I like the Gregory and Jordan Cameron ideas though. Not sure the Jags would replace Poz with a 31 yo LB(but, yeah, he's pretty much gone).

Great write up. Left the Bills out of the free agency section I believe (I assume because we didn't have a 1st round pick).

I see you think Hughes, Spiller, Searcy and Spikes are gone to other teams. Hoping we keep him or let him go so we can pursue Revis. And do you have any thoughts on our QB situation and who we might go after?

Great read though.

Good read OP but how on earth do the Saints afford Maxwell??

Great write up. Left the Bills out of the free agency section I believe (I assume because we didn't have a 1st round pick).

I see you think Hughes, Spiller, Searcy and Spikes are gone to other teams. Hoping we keep him or let him go so we can pursue Revis. And do you have any thoughts on our QB situation and who we might go after?

Great read though.
Thanks for the heads up, I had them up after Cleveland's 19th pick, then took them off because I thought it would be confusing, then forgot to add them again at the end. I added them now.

Matt Moore, basically a younger and cheaper version of Orton, good insurance in case Manuel's second chance doesn't work out.

Joseph Barksdale, ok tackle, who can play guard, good enough to compete for a starting job, or be high end depth.

Adrian Clayborn, had a really nice first 2 seasons in Tampa, then got hurt and struggled to regain form. I think he fits well as a 3-4 end in Rex's new 3-4 defense, though if they run a hybrid defense he can play end or tackle in 4-3 looks. Also, comes at a fraction of the price retaining Hughes would.

Owen Daniels, gives them another option in the passing game, I think he and Chandler together could lead to more 2 TE sets, which new OC Greg Roman featured quite a bit in San Fran.

Captain Hook said:
You really think six teams pass on Leonard Williams?

But thanks for the effort - a good if difficult read
I don't see the Titans passing on Williams, I just don't.
I think Williams is a lot bigger question mark then most. His motor seems very questionable, and I think the teams in the top-6 will care more about getting franchise QBs and edge rushers, and a true #1 WR for a young QB.

Reaper said:

Cool start.... One thing to remember is the jets have a ton of money and are at the cap floor (40Mill) - They are Forced to spend. With lots of potential cuts / money to spend. So, I Imagine things are going to be shaken up a lot more than what you have here and they will be big time players in the FA game.. Granted they need to spend to lock up Wilkerson and some others but, I can see help coming at OL, CB, LB, RB and WR...

Biggest early decision is Percy Harvin... He's under contract for about 10mill for the year which sounds like a lot but, it's also a 1 year deal for a team with money and doesn't lock them in in case of injury or attitude...I say they kick the tires on the Big WR FA's, if any of them is available for near that Percy 10 Mill, I think it's a no brainer to cut Percy and add one of those guys... Cobb would be a great swap!!!

Gonna need a RB to replace CJ... Talk of Spiller with the Gailey connection...

Also talk of Cromartie coming back with Bowles connection - Not a huge fan of that but, love that Bowles knows exactly what Cro brings to the table in his D...

Major Major changes coming!!! Can't Wait!!!
I completely agree that the Jets biggest priority will be signing Wilkerson to an extension.

I think Chan Gailey will love Percy Harvin, and find a ton of creative ways to use him. I think it would be a mistake to dump him, especially considering how under the cap they are. Decker-Harvin-Kerley is the best the Jets have been at WR in a several years.

I see Ivory starting, and them adding a complementary back in the draft. Maybe Melvin Gordon in round 2, if they aren't happy with DB's available there.

I've seen that same dot connecting with Cromartie, but I think Tramon is a better player, as well as a leader who will have to anchor a young secondary.

What did you think of the Sanchez prediction? I hesitated to send him back there, but with Gailey's offense, he really seemed like the best fit.

thriftyrocker said:

I was thinking the failure of the Smith pick was the reason to try to address the position again.

That was part of the reason i liked jackson was because he had pretty good size, not maxwell size, but above average for a CB.

I remember reading an interview with Chip Kelly, where he was talking about Nick Foles, and he said that mobility was nice, but not all that important to his system, especially when compared to accuracy and ability to read a defense. Maybe he was just trying to talk up Foles, but I'm taking him at his word, and Mallett is better than the other FA QBs other than maybe Sanchez in those categories.

Captain Hook said:

I think Williams is a lot bigger question mark then most. His motor seems very questionable, and I think the teams in the top-6 will care more about getting franchise QBs and edge rushers, and a true #1 WR for a young QB.
I've heard nothing about his motor.

Nice writeup but you have the Jags replacing the wrong OL position.

The problem (aside from their youth) is at RT. Their rookie RG Brandon Linder actually had a better year than Beadles and has the highest PFF rank. Luke Bowanko was solid at center when he stepped in. Still questions about Joeckel at the other tackle too.

Here is what PFF has to say

[SIZE=medium]18. Jacksonville Jaguars (31st)[/SIZE]

2014-OL-INSET-LINDER.png
Pass Block Ranking: 15th, Run Blocking Ranking: 25th, Penalties Ranking: 6th

Stud: There’s no doubt the Jaguars are happy with just how quickly Brandon Linder (+16.6) has acclimatized to life in the NFL. He’s contributed to a top-notch group of rookie guards.

Dud: With eight sacks allowed and a team-worst pass blocking grade, the Jags must have hoped for more from Luke Joeckel by now.

Breakdown: They got better when they replaced Jacques McClendon with Luke Bowanko and have taken a huge step forward this year. A new offensive coordinator will still need to get more out of a unit that didn’t help their rushers enough in the run game.
I like the Gregory and Jordan Cameron ideas though. Not sure the Jags would replace Poz with a 31 yo LB(but, yeah, he's pretty much gone).
Thanks for the info on Linder, I knew he held his own, but wasn't aware he was quite the player he apparently was. I still like Iupati as a massive upgrade to the run game for them, maybe he would push Beadles to RT, where he played briefly in Denver.

I figure Harris would be a patch for a year or two while they get younger and better elsewhere.

Captain Hook said:

I've heard nothing about his motor.
I've heard scouts say that he is slow off the ball, and often gives up on chasing down plays.

I don't hate the guy, but those issues, plus the needs of the teams in the top-6 has me thinking Williams falls.

He can play in any scheme, and every team drafting can use a De or a DT, or both.

I agree he is slow off the ball. It's weird to watch. He is easy to spot on game film, he's the last guy off the snap, and the first guy making plays. Last guy off the snap, and then tossing O-linemen around. He was hyped before the season, and has been the best player in every game he played. D-linemen don't slide in the draft. Safeties slide, guards slide, WRs even slide. Not 300-pound dancing bears that have dominated for two years.

Assuming no dead hookers turn u[p in his hotel room between now and draft day, I think he's the safest bet for a top 5 pick. Even more than the QBs.

Definitely appreciate this threadd, tho i do not agree with your plan for my chiefs

Justin Houstin isn't going anywhere. Likely Rodney Hudson won't either, but acknowledge it is certainly possible. However, even if he does, i don't see this happening...

18. Kansas City= Cameron Erving, don't often see centers going this high, but when they do, it is because they are great talents. Erving replaces Hudson for KC, and projects to be an upgrade long term. Big fan of this guy.

Kenny Britt, I don't see the Chiefs making a big splash at WR, but they need to get somebody who at the very least is better than Donnie Avery. Britt had a bit of a rejuvenation this season, and could push to be the Chiefs top WR.

Marcus Gilchrist, can play both corner and safety. I look at him as a nickel guy, who is also insurance if Eric Berry isn't back.

Rolando McClain, Jerry Jones would love to keep him, but they need other things and Sean lee should be back. KC needs a guy opposite, or possibly in place of Derrick Johnson depending where he is after achilles surgery.

Mid 1st for a guy only played 3 games at C? KC's need at OT even is quite overstated. I look for WR, CB, ILB before anything else.

FA additions I could see though, not that I love them, each fit a need with reasonable cost option.

Great read though.
Thanks for the heads up, I had them up after Cleveland's 19th pick, then took them off because I thought it would be confusing, then forgot to add them again at the end. I added them now.

The Ravens may very well let Daniels walk, but if they do your write-up on them is incomplete, because there's no chance they wouldn't then go after a decent FA TE like Clay or Gresham (and/or spend a day-2 selection in the draft). Pitta is the most fragile specimen at his position in the entire league - we still don't know whether he'll even play again - and it's inconceivable they'd go into TC with him and no one else of note.

Really appreciate the thought and effort that went into this whole thing, though. Kudos to you.

Great read though.

The Ravens may very well let Daniels walk, but if they do your write-up on them is incomplete, because there's no chance they wouldn't then go after a decent FA TE like Clay or Gresham (and/or spend a day-2 selection in the draft). Pitta is the most fragile specimen at his position in the entire league - we still don't know whether he'll even play again - and it's inconceivable they'd go into TC with him and no one else of note.

Really appreciate the thought and effort that went into this whole thing, though. Kudos to you.
Pitta is a big question mark, but the Ravens seem to think he'll be ready to go, and they do have Crockett Gilmore waiting in the wings. Also, TE will be a less important position with Kubiak gone, Trestman has never really featured his TEs. I know Bennett as pretty good the last 2 years, but I believe that was more of a Cutler thing than a Trestman thing, Bennett's numbers were much lower whenever Cutler was out of the lineup.

To the last 2 posters:

Overall nice post.

If Cobb leaves, anyone have a good projection on the type of season Adams might have?

Users who are viewing this thread