What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My son got a ####### 8 on a test and forged my signature (3 Viewers)

if he typically gets around a 75, an 8 obviously stands out as an outlier.

You need to find out the reason.  Did he purposefully tank the test, or was he angry and refused to try, or did a knucklehead friend put him up to it?

Unless the class average was like 40, there has to be other reasons for an 8 well beyond he did not study or read close enough.

When you both calm down, you need to do two things:

1) unequivocally punish for the forgery and the lying of said forgery.

2) get the test and review it with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointed, not angry - far more effective;

take away a few privileges that hurt including a grounding for a couple of weekends; 

G'luck

PS - Post pics of the teacher, if female, to help the FFA determine further course of conduct

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t read all the replies but me personally, I would be more worried about making an 8% than the forgery (since it seems like it’s the first time).  Sounds like he panicked and didn’t want to get in trouble - every kids does that at some point.  Still gets punished and explained that’s completely unacceptable but I’d be talking to the teacher about the 8% tomorrow.
Yes, that is what I decided to do. Wrote a note to both his teachers telling him we are concerned about his grades in all subjects. Told them we check all his homework, study with him and have a tutor for him and despite all that he still struggles on the tests. Mentioned the science test specifically and said he clearly doesn't understand the subject matter and what can we do.

Did not mention the forged signature. He is punished for that and is between us and him. His grades are what I am asking the teachers about.

if he typically gets around a 75, an 8 obviously stands out as an outlier.

You need to find out the reason.  Did he purposefully tank the test, or was he angry and refused to try, or did a knucklehead friend put him up to it?

Unless the class average was like 40, there has to be other reasons for an 8 well beyond he did not study or read close enough.

When you both calm down, you need to do two things:

1) unequivocally punish for the forgery and the lying of said forgery.

2) get the test and review it with him.
He never mentioned he had an exam. Im trying to understand if he forgot about it or if he didn't realize. I checked his assignment book and he never wrote it down. I agree though even without studying I don't understand how he got an 8. It's almost like he didn't pay attention in class at all. I have reached out to the teacher.

How would you have reacted if he came home with the 8?
Would have tried to figure out what went wrong and gone over the subject matter with him and maybe even reach out to the teacher. Also would've told him I was disappointed he didn't study.

Gotta admit as someone who breezed through school eventually going to a top HS in the country (stuyvesant) but with not a single athletic bone in my body, I never expected to have an all star baseball player that struggles in school. 

Quick punishment for the forgery and then focus on the horrible test grade.    Kid needs help with his studies 

I would be more concerned about the 8% than the forgery stuff honestly, and would investigate that further. I don't mean to sound insulting, but 8% seems unfathomably low for 4th grade, even if you don't pay attention and mess around with your friends the floor is more like 60%.

Most parents hate her. She practically made my wife cry during parent teacher conferences. Just a nasty person. The kids also say she yells all the time. 
Given this I would definitely mock her for not catching the forgery.  At that age my kids' attempts at that would have been comically bad.

I would be more concerned about the 8% than the forgery stuff honestly, and would investigate that further. I don't mean to sound insulting, but 8% seems unfathomably low for 4th grade, even if you don't pay attention and mess around with your friends the floor is more like 60%.
Yeah I can't fathom it either. 

totally agree

I take the issues in this order, in a conversational tone (even saying, “You see how we’re just discussing what happened with calm voices?” so he sees and learns how it can be handled without anger or yelling; this lays the groundwork for future conversations):

1) I’m most concerned about the suicide comment. I tackle that first as a learning experience that bad things happen throughout our lives, but it will be ok. And I’m always there to help and figure things out. I love you whether you get 100% or 8%. Is something else bothering you? Bullying? Other stuff? Life is hard sometimes but we work through it and work to do better. What makes you say something like that? Depending on response go deeper with do you really want to hurt yourself or is that just something you said, because hurting yourself is never an answer, etc.

2) What’s happening in science? Let him explain it. What can we do to improve your science grade? Make a multifaceted plan so it can be attacked in multiple ways: more time spent, study methods, rereading difficult text and explaining what it means with you helping, note taking tips picking out important points to write down (multiple forms - reading and writing add up to better comprehension, looking things over again other times, 30 minutes of fun reading per day to develop that skill, etc. These habits will help in other classes too and little successes should be applauded. Life isn’t easy and it will always be more “fun” to not do these things and play more iPad or Xbox, but that’s life. New habits take repetition.

3) Forgery and teacher involvement. Signing for you brings the honesty and lying conversation into play. This is a theme that will also be reinforced in future conversations like “calm” discussions above. Why did you sign my name? We know the reason but it helps for him to say it. Then, I know you care and want to do better because you knew I’d be disappointed in the score. You need to be honest with me and your teacher because we want the best for you. I can’t help you if I don’t know there’s a problem. Remember the story of the boy who cried wolf? If you lie, then when you are really telling the truth people may not believe you. I expect you always to tell me the truth even if you think I’ll get mad. Do you understand?

He should apologize to you (hopefully without you asking) and the teacher, in person, and tell the teacher how he plans (not hope) to do better by doing x, y and z. This reinforces that he knows what methods are available to improve.

I don’t know your school but I’m pretty surprised that a) the teacher fell for the forgery or didn’t care, and b) didn’t call or email you to discuss the low score and concern for your son’s progress. In your own conversations with her I’d for sure reiterate that you support her and the school and would like to stay in touch on his learning and are open to ideas. What does she see?

Keep the lines of communication open with your son and the teacher. GL

this was kind of what I was referring to in my first post.  I think there is something else afoot here.   If his kid normally gets in the 70's, getting an 8 on anything is almost impossible even if you sleep through every class and skip every home work.   

It made me wonder if he did it for the negative attention or to show how much he hated the teacher etc or something.

This is why I suggested he get the test and go over it. If he sees questions his kid would normally be able to answer, then he knows something else was in play here.

Was it multiple choice? What was the class average on the test?
So I asked him what was the test, multiple choice or questions with responses and he can't answer that. Has no clue. He knew the subject matter was energy but completely forgets the type of test he was given. Boggles my mind. 

this was kind of what I was referring to in my first post.  I think there is something else afoot here.   If his kid normally gets in the 70's, getting an 8 on anything is almost impossible even if you sleep through every class and skip every home work.   

It made me wonder if he did it for the negative attention or to show how much he hated the teacher etc or something.

This is why I suggested he get the test and go over it. If he sees questions his kid would normally be able to answer, then he knows something else was in play here.
My guess,  without seeing the test is, it was a question and response type test and my son basically responded with gibberish. 

Assuming they had a Christmas break is this their first week back? Was some of this material from before the break and he simply doesn’t remember it?

I got like a 5 on a grammar test in 9th grade.  Parts of speech or some #### like that and I don’t know if I had an out of body experience or something but I remember having no idea what was going on.  Could have been the airplane glue.  I also got caught trying to cheat off someone else’s paper on another test.

in 8th grade I got an E (we didn’t get Fs) in tech ed one quarter and just changed it to a B o min the report card.  Then I had to do it again at the end of the year. 

I also drove my moms car through our garage wall when I was after taking it out illegally.

and now look at me, I randomly post nonsensical bull#### that doesn’t help anyone on a message board while pretending to listen to my wife.  

So I don’t care if the horse is blind, you still load the wagon.

The combination of the improbably  low grade, the forgery, and him not remembering the test format make me suspect he didn’t actually take the test, or did one problem and skipped out with a buddy, or something 

Free answer science tests in 4th grade? Surely there was like a word bank or something.

The only true free answer type stuff that young should be math and spelling.

Wish you would have posted this in the political forum where I could freely offer words of encouragement about his future prospects.

My guess,  without seeing the test is, it was a question and response type test and my son basically responded with gibberish. 
Even in gibberish you can get enough partial credit for a 30-40. An 8 is fill in the blank, or multiple choice, and you get 1/12 or 2/25 correct

I gotta say I wish I had gotten a couple of 8s instead of abusing my sharp memory. Would've got my lazy #### in shape real quick.

I can't self-motivate for anything beyond likes on the Internet.

Ah I remember when my sweet angel did something similar at the same age.   She does well in school normally but there were some torturous times with forgot assignments.  Very smart but Very disorganized forgetful.   I'd punish him but it's part of growing up

Most parents hate her. She practically made my wife cry during parent teacher conferences. Just a nasty person. The kids also say she yells all the time. 
I'd be more concerned with this.  If your wife, a grown woman over whom she has no control, can be made to cry by her, how much worse is it to be a kid in her class?  He may be more concerned with not being seen by her than with the actual class.

Best case scenario: kid just totally ####ed up, compounded it with bad decision making re:forgery. Needs punishment for forgery and household academic probation. 

Middle scenario: Possible attention issues or dyslexia? Teachers haven’t caught on but kid knows something is wrong. Embarrassed and scared, does forgery, now feels awful about it. Needs understanding and love, and discussion about openly talking about problems and helping each other instead of compounding problems by hiding them. 

Worst scenario: Some other weird thing happened due to emotional/behavioral issues. I only raise this possibility because of the very concerning suicide comment. This is the worst scenario because it’s the hardest and most labor intensive to address. 

Users who are viewing this thread