What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Stock Value Strategy Starts Now (2 Viewers)

I've been trading AMED these past few days quite a bit. What are the rules so I don't get flagged as a day trader?
Hey. How have you been fairing? Hopefully well. I own the underlying still and won't sell until I see $40+, but I also have been selling some of the options I bought. I'm up net on the options, but I did have a position in the Sept 40 calls, which I thought would be a big move but the slow and stead plod upward has really hurt the time value of those. Anyhow, glad you're still holding on there.

KennyL said:
Mose said:
I've been trading AMED these past few days quite a bit. What are the rules so I don't get flagged as a day trader?
Hey. How have you been fairing? Hopefully well. I own the underlying still and won't sell until I see $40+, but I also have been selling some of the options I bought. I'm up net on the options, but I did have a position in the Sept 40 calls, which I thought would be a big move but the slow and stead plod upward has really hurt the time value of those. Anyhow, glad you're still holding on there.
I bought at 200 shares at $32.50 on thursday. Sold those on friday for $35.44. $588 profitRe-bought 300 shares on friday for $34.46 and sold those on Tuesday for $35.94. $444 profit

Re-bought again 400 shares on Tuesday for $35.56 and currently still hold those.

I sold off all of my shipping stock that I had been holding for awhile. PRGN and FREE.

I'm currently only in AMED, and have a sell for that at $36.95 if it hits. Then cash only awaiting Obama's speech tonight and the inevetable market crash tomorrow.

So why is the entire shipping sector up 5-10% today? Did some news come out about economics picking up and shipping is up as a result? What's the BDI done today and this week?

I still own 1000 PRGN.

TRMA is the stock that a FBG member Chaos Commish picked in the 2009 stock pickers contest. He's been absent from here for awhile because I think he is growing/selling produce these days. Anyways, he and I talked about it and ATPG (my pick of the year). We were reluctant buyers in February and March around $2-$3.00. I wound up getting my shares taken from me in a $5 covered call play - whoops (same happened in the shares of ATPG I owned).

Though I really like TRMA and ATPG as longer term positions...but I think you will be able to purchase shares cheaper in the future.
ATPG - Nice work on this pick. Essentially doubled in the last month. I owned some of this but had bailed back in May.

So why is the entire shipping sector up 5-10% today? Did some news come out about economics picking up and shipping is up as a result? What's the BDI done today and this week?I still own 1000 PRGN.
BDI has gone up 5 straight days in a row. I don't know why or if any other news is out.I sold off my shipping stock because this is the highest I have seen them in weeks. I will probably buy back in next week if they drop back to the levels they were a week or so ago.

Ive been killing it in the market the last 2 weeks.

PRGN is just adding to the run today. Im always going to keep a few thousand shares of this gem. They talked today about starting to buy more ships (at huge discounts).

PRGN is just adding to the run today. Im always going to keep a few thousand shares of this gem. They talked today about starting to buy more ships (at huge discounts).
PRGN question.on the slide show from the presentation today, http://www.wsw.com/webcast/jeff38/prgn/ , slide 14 confuses me. They are going to dilute an additional 10 million shares that we didn't know about? They are calling it #2 CEO.

Also slide 25...did we know about all these drydockings coming up?

Last edited by a moderator:
FREE up 0.14 to 1.86 right now. Why the big jump in price?
There is a huge wall at $1.90 of people that bought at the shelf offering of $1.80 trying to bank a dime I assume.
How can you tell?
Level 2
There is talk on the Google message boards about more dilution from FREE, does anyone know/confirm what they have already done and/or if this makes sense for them. I can't keep all this stuff straight...I do sill hold 2000 shares of FREE at about 1.80.

Attempting to begin acquiring a short position in FAS via synthetic stock...expiration month is Jan and April 2010. In a perfect world I will be "short" 3000-5000 shares...so 30-50 contracts. But perfect worlds are rare...so in the end I'll probably wind up with a mish-mash of positions short anywhere from 70-90.
At this point am only short 600 shares. In the Jan and April...strikes are from 78-80. Got 1 set on Friday and another 5 yesterday. Putting the play on surprised me in how ThinkorSwim sucked up so much of my buying power...shorting 600 synthetic shares of FAS initially reduced my buying power by $22k...as the position has moved further ITM today...it is now reduced by about $15k. That seems pretty steep.Right now I'm up about $4k on the trade...I was looking for this to be a big home run with 3000 shares...but I don't think I can afford having my ability to trade limited...so I'll probably just stick to what I have...if it runs back up may short another 400 synthetic shares to have a 1000 (10 contracts). If it just continues to drop and I nailed a high...I'll be more than satisfied with the -600 shares I hold.This thing swings wildly...so profits/losses really shouldn't be counted until booked. My thought here is this play is a hold for weeks-months...so day-to-day I'm less concerned with where I stand...meaning I'm more focused on where I'd get stopped out right now than where I'll take profits.
I'm going to unwind and take the profits...and re-enter on the next move up. Against what I just said...I know.
Ok. Seems to have been a smart play. I'm going to look to re-enter FAS short via synthetic stock. Ain't going to happen today. Would like to see it back near $78-$80. I would like this to be a longer term play (3-6 months) but profits is profits.

FREE up 0.14 to 1.86 right now. Why the big jump in price?
There is a huge wall at $1.90 of people that bought at the shelf offering of $1.80 trying to bank a dime I assume.
How can you tell?
Level 2
There is talk on the Google message boards about more dilution from FREE, does anyone know/confirm what they have already done and/or if this makes sense for them. I can't keep all this stuff straight...I do sill hold 2000 shares of FREE at about 1.80.
Not done yet. Shareholders are being asked to vote to authorize them to go from I believe 40 Million shares to 250 million shares if they need/want to raise capital to buy more ships.

Revo said:
I brought this stock up before, but you should pay attention to Fuqi International (FUQI), a Chinese jewelry retailer. Their chart is in an impressive base, and their fundamentals are second to none. YOY growth has been astounding (most recent quarter was 80%). IBD gives them 99s across the board -- the only stock in their database to get three 99s. The stock jumped 2 1/2 pts the last two days, but a breakout appears to be imminent. I was in at 26.5 but it pulled back to 25 before running up to 27.5. Watch the chart carefully for increased volume, but this one is very strong.
Up $1.40 this morning to just over $29.
FUQI on the run....up $2.20 now.
FUQI up 0.66 to $30.40 now. The stock's now in a breakout. Holding 30.00 is key, but it's fully supported by the fundamentals and the increased accumulation yesterday.
I got stopped out at $29.50. The stock's dropped another $1 since.....maybe a good buying opportunity. I'll wait until after Obama's speech and hope for a price in the $26 range....

Not done yet. Shareholders are being asked to vote to authorize them to go from I believe 40 Million shares to 250 million shares if they need/want to raise capital to buy more ships.

CRAP!

SPNG down 25% today, and at one point was down 40%. Not for the faint of heart.
dreaded reverse split
I don't see why this is so bad. At 0.13 This looks to be a good entry point to me.Edit to add: In at 0.1303.
it is not bad for you, but it is pretty bad for the people in at .20actually I would say it is bad for you too.They will have 9 million shares O/S but will have 965million A/S at a share price of 13 bucks a share.That is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
SPNG down 25% today, and at one point was down 40%. Not for the faint of heart.
dreaded reverse split
I don't see why this is so bad. At 0.13 This looks to be a good entry point to me.Edit to add: In at 0.1303.
it is not bad for you, but it is pretty bad for the people in at .20
Sorry, what I was trying to say is that I don't see why a reverse split is so bad. And if that is the reason it took a dump lately, 0.13 seems like a good price to get in at or average down with. I could see the split chasing away some of the daytraders and therefore a selloff like what happened today, but I doubt it lasts.

Still sitting on a bunch of dry powder. But I'm thinking its about time to slowly buy into a nat gas posisiton.

Still sitting on a bunch of dry powder. But I'm thinking its about time to slowly buy into a nat gas posisiton.
UNG or something else?I'm looking at trying to enter SBLK again if it dips to the $3.30's. It hasn't moved up with the other shippers and seems to be lagging behind.

Mose said:
UNG or something else?I'm looking at trying to enter SBLK again if it dips to the $3.30's. It hasn't moved up with the other shippers and seems to be lagging behind.
I'll come back and talk on this later today. Defiantly NOT UNG.

Mose said:
ok, thanks. I'm wanting to do some natural gas now as well, but have not liked what I saw in UNG.

Mose said:
ok, thanks. I'm wanting to do some natural gas now as well, but have not liked what I saw in UNG.
FCG is your answer.

Made a killing on AMED again today. Sold the options yesterday for about a $1200 profit. Bought back in later in the day on a dip, and sold again this morning for about another $1500 profit.

KennyL = :thumbup:

Made a killing on AMED again today. Sold the options yesterday for about a $1200 profit. Bought back in later in the day on a dip, and sold again this morning for about another $1500 profit. KennyL = :shrug:
Just swing traded another $800AMED = too easy.

Mose said:
FCG is your answer.
Yup. I just bought up half of my long term posistion. I plan to hold though mid winter at the min, so lets call it a 6 months outlook.100 Shares of UPL400 Shares of FCG

I'm just sitting on my little pile of cash now waiting for the drop that should be coming soon.

I have target prices for things I want to buy, but they are all green today.

Cromedog said:
I just sold 300 shares of CHK for a nice gain. I just think there will be a pull back and can get back lower.
I'm already in the green on my Nat Gas plays, but honestly I hope they sell off so I can buy more. I think I'm done with the week/week day/day trade stuff for a while.Right now.... 40% cash 20% Emerging Markets 20% International Markets 6% Nat Gas 4% Metals 10% Cash Pension

PRGN question.on the slide show from the presentation today, http://www.wsw.com/webcast/jeff38/prgn/ , slide 14 confuses me. They are going to dilute an additional 10 million shares that we didn't know about? They are calling it #2 CEO.

Also slide 25...did we know about all these drydockings coming up?
If you listen to his talk he said that 2nd offering is almost complete. The first offering took 6 weeks. This one is already up to 10 weeks.

Shippers going nutso for a few days now.

The AMED run up has finally trailed off. I'm out of it just in time.

I wish I'd been in on AMD back when KennyL was suggesting it. Been up huge since then.

Question for the folks here -- what do we think of emerging markets going forward? I've got about $100k in my 401k right now, and about half of that is in the Dreyfus emerging markets fund, with the rest of my stuff mixed into a few Janus funds and others. It's held up pretty well over the past 6 months, but what is the outlook for emerging markets going forward? Is that still a gold mine in the next ten years?

Shippers going nutso for a few days now.The AMED run up has finally trailed off. I'm out of it just in time.I wish I'd been in on AMD back when KennyL was suggesting it. Been up huge since then.Question for the folks here -- what do we think of emerging markets going forward? I've got about $100k in my 401k right now, and about half of that is in the Dreyfus emerging markets fund, with the rest of my stuff mixed into a few Janus funds and others. It's held up pretty well over the past 6 months, but what is the outlook for emerging markets going forward? Is that still a gold mine in the next ten years?
Held up well? I think you will find that the MSCI EM funds are up from 22ish to 37ish over the past 6 months."Long Term" IMHO yes. The BRIC countrys (Brazil, Russia, India, China) will have the most growth over the next 20-30 years. In addition, most of these counties have good to great currency policies. So not only is this a future growth trade you escaping the plight of the USD. I mix it up a little and have some $$ in International mature markets so I'm not "all in" on the EM investment but still limit my USD exposure.I pulled half of my investments about a month or so ago when the S&P hit 1010 and droped back down. This is after I bought back into the market in steps starting at ~S&P 775 so i wanted to protect any gains in case of a large market correction this fall.In other words, I'd look to get into the EM in the medium term. I just don't know if I could commit new $$ rigth now. Or at the very least, not all of it right now. I'd buy in in small chucks at least till November.

PRGN now above the 200 day MA. Interesting spot to get in?
I liquidated 60% of my PRGN holding between 4.05 and 4.10 expecting another drop to 3.80 or even 3.50 before they annonced the ending of the offering.I am beginning to believe I made a poor choice.I thought the drydocking information would push this lower also.I am glad I didn't fully liquidate.

today appears to be a down day! ayy! I'm in all cash waiting to buy something. I'm looking for PRGN around $4.00 and SBLK around $3.50.

Obama speaks later this morning and I feel like the market will rally after that, so I hope to buy early this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread