What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Thoughts on Lacy vs. Franklin (1 Viewer)

Here are the top receivers in the league right now and how they rate in terms of BMI/40/vertical/broad jump.

Andre Johnson - 29.5 (4.41 - 39" - 11'0")Vincent Jackson - 28.9 (4.46 - 39" - 10'9")Dez Bryant - 28.8 (4.52 - 38" - 11'1")Victor Cruz - 28.3 (4.47 - 41.5" - 10'5")Calvin Johnson - 28.3 (4.35 - 42.5" - 11'7")Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3 - results not availableHakeem Nicks - 28.3 (4.51, 36", ??)Michael Crabtree - 28.1 - did not work out before the draftDemaryius Thomas - did not work out before the draftJulio Jones - 27.8 (4.34 - 38.5" - 11'3")Brandon Marshall - 27.6 (4.52 - 37" - 10'0")Roddy White - 27.2 (4.46 - 41" - 10'6")Steve Smith - 27.2 (4.41 - 38.5" - 10'1")Reggie Wayne - 26.9 (4.45 - 36" - ???)Marques Colston - 26.9 (4.50 - 37" - 10'3")Percy Harvin - 26.7 (4.39 - 37.5" - 10'1")AJ Green - 26.0 (4.48 - 34.5" - 10'6")

Most top NFL receivers are workout warriors. You need special athletic tools to consistently beat NFL corners. Those tools are usually going to show up in the workout numbers as some combination of BMI, speed, and leaping ability.

EBF said:
tdmills said:
EBF said:
Who says there hasn't been any further analysis? I was down on Franklin before he fell in the draft. He doesn't have standout physical tools and didn't really look like a starter to me on film. In his case, there's nothing about him that points to an above average career outlook. I can see him being a decent complementary back, but anything above that would be a big surprise.

Boyce was also drafted pretty late. The difference for me is that he looks more promising and has much better physical tools. He has arguably the best size/speed ratio in the WR class with his 28.6 BMI and 4.38 speed. He also looked like the best athlete in the group during the combine drills. He probably would've been drafted a little higher if not for his broken pinkie. Add it all up and he looks like a player who's likely to exceed his draft slot.
You're all about BMI with WR's, i'm not. 5'11 is a negative for a WR, much less a positive because he's "thick". Tall and fast= size/speed ratio for WRs.

Mark Harrison/Justin Hunter/Patterson/Rogers/Fuller all have almost 3 inches on the guy and are within about .1 of his 40 time on a track.
It's not a coincidence that people who pay close attention to workout numbers have all recognized height/weight ratio as an important part of the equation. You can talk to anyone who spends a lot of time on this stuff and they'll agree that it's a big part of the puzzle. Height without strength doesn't = big receiver. Likewise, short doesn't necessarily = small receiver. Victor Cruz is only 5'11.5", but because he has a 28.3 BMI and 41.5" vertical, he's able to play a physical game, hold up to the beating, and win jump balls.

In general, thinner players need more speed in order to function at a high level (DeSean Jackson). Thicker players don't have to be as fast because they can win battles on the basis of sheer strength and physicality (Anquan Boldin). The best of both worlds is when you get a player who's both big and explosive. Players like Calvin, Dez, Andre, and VJax are pretty ideal from that standpoint.

Boyce doesn't have the same height or vertical leaping ability as those guys and that's probably why he'll be more of a WR2-WR3 for FF purposes, but he's arguably the best athlete at WR in the draft from a tools standpoint. 28.6 BMI (higher than Calvin, Fitzgerald, and Crabtree) paired with 4.38 speed and a 10'11" broad jump (an elite mark for anyone, much less a 5'11" athlete on the high end of the BMI scale). What those numbers suggest is a player who's very strong, but also possesses elite vertical explosiveness. It's rare to find those two traits in the same body. If that weren't enough, he also did 6.68 seconds in the three cone drill, which was the lowest time of any receiver drafted in the first 6 rounds.
I think the low BMI is much more of a negative for tall WR's than is for average ones. I haven't tried to quantify it but there seems to be a lot of busts from guys who are 6-2, ~210. Maybe I'm biased because these guys are bigger busts due to expectations of them being #1 WR's but that's what I feel about them.

Guys who fit that profile this year:

Hunter - 6-4, 196

Allen - 6-2, 206

Williams - 6-2, 208

Dobson - 6-3, 210

These guys aren't on my 'avoid at all costs' list but they have been going higher than I want to draft them.

EBF said:
Here are the top receivers in the league right now and how they rate in terms of BMI/40/vertical/broad jump.

Andre Johnson - 29.5 (4.41 - 39" - 11'0")Vincent Jackson - 28.9 (4.46 - 39" - 10'9")Dez Bryant - 28.8 (4.52 - 38" - 11'1")Victor Cruz - 28.3 (4.47 - 41.5" - 10'5")Calvin Johnson - 28.3 (4.35 - 42.5" - 11'7")Larry Fitzgerald - 28.3 - results not availableHakeem Nicks - 28.3 (4.51, 36", ??)Michael Crabtree - 28.1 - did not work out before the draftDemaryius Thomas - did not work out before the draftJulio Jones - 27.8 (4.34 - 38.5" - 11'3")Brandon Marshall - 27.6 (4.52 - 37" - 10'0")Roddy White - 27.2 (4.46 - 41" - 10'6")Steve Smith - 27.2 (4.41 - 38.5" - 10'1")Reggie Wayne - 26.9 (4.45 - 36" - ???)Marques Colston - 26.9 (4.50 - 37" - 10'3")Percy Harvin - 26.7 (4.39 - 37.5" - 10'1")AJ Green - 26.0 (4.48 - 34.5" - 10'6")

Most top NFL receivers are workout warriors. You need special athletic tools to consistently beat NFL corners. Those tools are usually going to show up in the workout numbers as some combination of BMI, speed, and leaping ability.
Did anyone state something different?

I'm stating that 5'11 isn't a positive for a WR. Your list has only 2 that are 5'11 or shorter= Harvin/Smith.

Guys without special athletic tools that do well in FF:

-Jordy Nelson

-Stevie Johnson

-Eric Decker

-Bowe

All are 6'2 or taller.

Maybe this is true but maybe not. The skeptic in this conversation could say:

Yes, 3 went last year. Of them, one was being touted as the greatest RB to come out of college since way back when Peterson came out, so yes, you always take once in a decade players. Add in to that that all thre teams that took a RB were pretty much starving for a relevant RB due to simply having nobody worth anything or significant concers. Add in to that, two of those picks were the very bottom of round one and at least five teams with legitimate RB needs passed on them. And add to that, one of those RBS taken was taken by the SB champs and can be argued that with top talent at every position, what did they really need other than the position that they had injured players at?
You could say a lot of that stuff, but a great deal of it would be inaccurate.

Andrew Garda, on 01 May 2013 - 10:32, said:Late to the party (all the beer is gone :sadbanana: ) but a few thoughts from a guy who covered the Packers all last year (and has been aharassed by Packers fans many years previously):Franklin needs to improve his pass blocking - he is more useful in the pass game save for that. If he can't do that, he won't see the field. Ultimately that's going to be a huge factor because GB has had so many issues protecting Rodgers they need a back who can pass block.Lacy has to prove himself. I believe Lacy was higher on their board than Franklin but they didn't expect to see him there in the (late) second. At that point it was almost BPA. His injury issues and the out of shape pro day made Franklin more of a priority, but I don't think it was a :code red: kind of thing because they also like DuJuan Harris (who may yet factor into this potential mess in Training Camp).Re: Packers at the goal line—yes they primarily throw there but they also run (especially with a really terrible off-tackle john Kuhn play). I believe they will run more with Lacy there. Just a gut feeling mostly.The Packers, as pointed out, had Ryan Grant run the ball 280+ twice before his wheels came off. They used Benson plenty in five games last season—I believe as others here they will run the ball more. There will be plenty of NFL carries to go around but ultimately not a ton of fantasy carries. In the end, I don't expect GB to sit with just one back because Lacy/Franklin (and to some extent, Harris) are very different backs.My expectation—and it's early—is Lacy gets a lot of the carries overall with an emphasis on short yardage opportunities (incl goal line) and Franklin will see a lot of secondary down work as well as chances in the pass game.I do agree with Bloom to some extent that outside of the top 10 of a NFL draft, *most* draft position is irrelevant—especially when we're talking RBs in the late second and beyond. The better player will play. This would be different if Lacy was an early 1st rounder but - and we have to remember this - nothign is guaranteed. Just ask David Wilson during his rookie season.In the end though, this *smells* like some version of a RBBC between these two (and again I don't write off Harris quite yet). I won't take either in the top 5 of a rookie draft and Lacy is barely in the top ten—and part of that is due to the fact that I am very down on the QBs this year overall.Anyway that's my :2cents: - and I don't wanna leave the thread without throwing props to Sig on an excellent break down of the players and their landing spot. :grad:
Good post. Kind of the way I am seeing the situation as well.What will happen is defenses will sell out to stop the pass leaving check down to running plays more frequent. So the player who is in on these plays the most (the RB who is the best pass blocker) will have the advantage of running draws and similar plays meant to take advantage of a defense in nickle and dime packages. In the short term I think that is Lacy but I can see Franklin earning his way into some of those snaps as well.Ultimately I think one of these 2 RB will earn the majority of the action. Either by game plan or by injury to the one of the RB or because of other possible factors. I am talking about in 2014-15 as one of these 2 establishes themselves as clearly ahead of the other. I think both have a decent chance to become that player but consider it more likely that player is Lacy due to draft position, scouts opinions ect. but if Lacy fails, Franklin looks like very good insurance who could fit in well as the Packers feature RB. I think Harris is a quality RB but it seems clear to me they do not see him as more than a depth player in the long run or else they likely would not have used these 2 picks in the draft if they did.I am automatically not a fan of either of these players because they are Packers. I generally like a player more like Franklin than I do Lacy because of the toe injury that seems to be a recurring problem. I already am wary of RB who seek contact the way Lacy does and to have him injured already coming in troubles me about the length of his career. I think if Lacy performs well early on that Franklin might not get much of a shot. But if Lacy struggles then the door opens for Franklin to take over the starting job or majority of the touches. I do not think that is 2013 as Franklin needs to get stronger and improve his pass blocking. I think he can do that but it will take some time. I also do not think Franklin has very good balance. I have seen him go down very easily from glancing tackles that many RB can keep their feet and keep going or possibly break the tackle all together.So I think both do maintain a lot of their pre draft value because of the potential to be starters with an elite QB. But I also see a time share that may take until 2014 or longer to work itself out. Meaning both players need to be downgraded somewhat as there is some higher risk involved than if they had gone to separate teams.

ETA - The Packers Oline is not very good. They get away with a lot of poor blocking because Rodgers is so mobile with great anticipation and a quick release. I think Lacy can make more yards on his own than Franklin can. So because of that Lacy may be better suited to what the Packers offensive line can do right now than Franklin is.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...lacy-johnathan-franklin-competing-for-packers

Eddie Lacy, Johnathan Franklin competing for Packers
By Kevin Patra NFL.com

The Green Bay Packers filled their biggest offensive need when they selected running back Eddie Lacy in the second round, then doubled down and took Johnathan Franklin in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Much was made of the Franklin pick signifying that the Packers aren't completely sold on Lacy's durability. The two are expected to compete for carries -- and possibly -- the starting job.

At this weekend's rookie minicamp, the duo is mixing friendship with competition.

"We're roommates in the hotel, we talk. But we're going to have to compete," Lacy said Saturday, via ESPN Milwaukee. "It's just like when you're in college -- you get there, you meet the other running backs, you're all friends but you have to compete. It's no different here."

Franklin echoed the former Alabama running back's sentiments.

Franklin said, "On the field, we're competing definitely. But off the field, we're definitely buddies. But we're here to help each other grow and push each other to get better."

The Packers haven't had a 100-yard rusher in 43 games and haven't had a single back break the 800-yard barrier since Ryan Grant went for more than 1,200 yards in 2009. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Sunday that he expects both players to make an impact.

"They're two different types of backs," McCarthy said. "Obviously, Lacy is a bigger back. They're young players who definitely look to contribute."

The young backs understand they were drafted to put an end to those droughts.

"They brought us here for a reason," Franklin said. "We have to contribute. Competition is going to bring out the best in you. We're definitely going to find out what kind of men we are and what kind of athletes we are."

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

Video Link

Front-runner in Packers' RB competition:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000200077/Front-runner-in-Packers-RB-competition

03:24 Find which rookie running back will emerge as the leader of the pack in Green Bay's running back competition between Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin.
That video says absolutely nothing about a "front-runner" in the GB RB competition. Pretty annoying that it was misleadingly titled. The whole video just speaks about how GB had RB problems last year and how a better running game may impact their offense. (Some brief mention of Lacy's toe, his size, and a comment about Franklin being a "jack-of-all-trades")*not a criticism directed at you Faust-and thanks for the work anyways.

Judging by post draft interviews, Macarthy seemed genuinely excited about Lacy and likes his ability to catch the ball and run with power. Similarly, Vanpelt (RB coach) was surprised Lacy fell that far and was excited to get him. He also had him as the top back this year, likes big backs for late season weather and like his pass blocking skills. Granted I haven't watched any GB interviews in a few weeks but the last time I checked, the coaches think Lacy is the right fit here. Plus, if your franchise is built around your QB and one of your shiny new toys (rookie RBs) excels in pass protection while the other needs work, and that same guy is drafted two rounds earlier.....? Give me that guy.

Lacy is literally just as explosive as Franklin from what I can tell and has size to go along with it. Barring injury, I see no way Franklin sees significant carries over Lacy.

I could see the scenario where Franklin shines early because the Packers will spread the ball instead of focusing on the run. Game 6-9 will be a transition and then Lacy will see the bulk as he grows accustomed to the NFL.

Maybe, sell Franklin, if you don't believe in him after a big early game by him. Not sure what you could sell him for barring other injuries around the NFL where a fantasy team "needs" a RB but I could see the above happening.

From past experience, it seems like quicker backs catch on a little bit faster because they might have a few screen passes designed for them while it takes time to see the running holes given the speed of the NFL.

Give me Dejuan Harris for the price. I am not sure either of these two beat him out completely.
Umm no NFL team uses a 2nd and a 4th on RBs if they have even an ounce of faith in their current crop.
The Packers had zero confidence in Starks, and little in Alex Green. IMO they like Dujuan Harris quite a bit, but don't view him as an everydown back. I think Harris will see a fair amount of touches this year. He's good in pass pro, and has some explosiveness to his game. Guessing he may be a sneaky flex play this year.

As for the Packers using two picks on RBs, I think a lot of that had to do with Lacy's toe. Pretty confident they didn't want to get into a situation where they were signing guys off the street to start again.

Video Link

Front-runner in Packers' RB competition:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000200077/Front-runner-in-Packers-RB-competition

03:24 Find which rookie running back will emerge as the leader of the pack in Green Bay's running back competition between Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin.
That video says absolutely nothing about a "front-runner" in the GB RB competition. Pretty annoying that it was misleadingly titled. The whole video just speaks about how GB had RB problems last year and how a better running game may impact their offense. (Some brief mention of Lacy's toe, his size, and a comment about Franklin being a "jack-of-all-trades")*not a criticism directed at you Faust-and thanks for the work anyways.
No offense taken. I don't always have time to watch each video that I link to, so I agree that it is kind of funny that they don't actually give an answer on who the front-runner is.

Rotoworld:

According to the Green Bay Press-Gazette, it was "hard not to notice" rookie RB Johnathan Franklin in the Packers' first padded practice.
Per reporter Pete Dougherty, Franklin notched two "explosive runs," and out-shined fellow rookie Eddie Lacy. Franklin also made a big play on special teams. How the Pack delineate touches between Franklin and Lacy in the preseason will be of keen interest.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn projects rookie Johnathan Franklin to play 40 percent of the Packers' 2013 offensive snaps.

This RB situation is going to be a mess.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn projects rookie Johnathan Franklin to play 40 percent of the Packers' 2013 offensive snaps.

This RB situation is going to be a mess.
Way too early to know this.... Heck the coaches have zero idea how thing are going to play out at this stage.

What makes sense here is terrible for FF. Franklin as the passing down back and Lacy as the power guy. Thats said I don't think either is anything more than a flex starter.

Rotoworld:

Eddie Lacy should hover around 50 percent, assuming he stays healthy. McGinn believes Franklin is in direct competition with John Kuhn -- not Lacy -- to be Green Bay's passing- and third-down back. McGinn also suggested Franklin could earn "spot" carries, probably as Lacy's change-of-pace complement.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Rotoworld:

Rookie RB Johnathan Franklin managed 17 yards on seven carries (2.43 YPC) in the Packers' pre-preseason intrasquad scrimmage.
Meanwhile, fellow rookie Eddie Lacy pounded Green Bay's first-team defense for 65 yards on eight runs (8.13 YPC), playing a team-high 17 snaps. Franklin was the Packers' No. 3 back through the rotation, behind Lacy and James Starks. Franklin is primarily competing for passing-down and chance-of-pace work. He's not a serious candidate to enter the season starting games over Lacy.

Rotoworld:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports Eddie Lacy was the "standout" player at Saturday night's intrasquad scrimmage.
(The same player who was deemed "fat" and "out of shape" by Twitter rumor mongers earlier in the week.) Lacy broke off consecutive runs of 7, 16, 19, 4, 8 and 4 yards. RBs coach Alex Van Pelt downplayed Lacy's allegedly-suspect conditioning after the scrimmage, saying, "I think it's just him." James Starks got the start, Lacy was next, Johnathan Franklin was third, and Alex Green was fourth. Lacy racked up 65 yards on eight carries and played a team-high 17 snaps, one ahead of Starks and two more than Franklin. The Packers open the preseason Friday night against Arizona. Lacy remains the clear favorite to be Green Bay's lead dog.

Related: James Starks, Alex Green, Johnathan Franklin

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers says Johnathan Franklin has "a slight edge" on fellow rookie Eddie Lacy in the passing-game department.
The backfield is beginning to take shape, with Lacy as the early-down and red-zone bruiser, and Franklin as the pass-game specialist and change of pace. "I think Jonathan from the mental side has a slight edge right now, just because he understands [passing game] progressions well and he's done a little bit more of that at UCLA," said Rodgers. "But Eddie obviously has the physical stature and downhill running style that [coach] Mike [McCarthy] has always appreciated."

Related: Eddie Lacy

Source: SI.com

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Rob Demovsky stated on SportsCenter Wednesday that Eddie Lacy has emerged as the favorite to start in Green Bay's backfield.
Demovsky recently joined ESPN as its go-to Packers beat reporter after many years with the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "He's going to be their starting running back, based on the way he's played in camp," Demovsky said of Lacy. Lacy missed Wednesday's camp practice due to a hamstring injury, but coaches are confident it's "not a long-term thing." Bump Lacy up fantasy cheatsheets.

Aug 7 - 12:41 PM

Rotoworld:

The Journal-Sentinel says Johnathan Franklin's best chance to be active on gamedays is as a third-down back or returner.
This comes on the heels of a report that Franklin hasn't shown any "wow" factor at camp. He's going to make the final 53-man roster, but being on the 45-man gameday roster could be another story. DuJuan Harris, Eddie Lacy and John Kuhn are all better in pass protection. Franklin has reportedly appeared raw as a kickoff returner.

Rotoworld:

The Journal-Sentinel says Johnathan Franklin's best chance to be active on gamedays is as a third-down back or returner.
This comes on the heels of a report that Franklin hasn't shown any "wow" factor at camp. He's going to make the final 53-man roster, but being on the 45-man gameday roster could be another story. DuJuan Harris, Eddie Lacy and John Kuhn are all better in pass protection. Franklin has reportedly appeared raw as a kickoff returner.

Oof.

Rotoworld:

Running backs coach Alex Van Pelt said Eddie Lacy "stands out (in) pass protection."
Lacy (hamstring) returned to practice Wednesday and was the second running back through the team drills, behind DuJuan Harris. Van Pelt made these comments after Lacy "won every snap" in pass pro work. It's yet another reason we fully expect the second-round rookie to win the starting job, get the majority of carries and earn the goal-line work. Lacy has had an outstanding camp and looks "born to run in" the Packers' scheme, according to the Journal-Sentinel.

Source: Paul Imig on Twitter

Looking more and more like the Lacy show all of a sudden.

Funny how that happens. Everyone gravitated towards Ball and Bell and thought they would be the clear guys while downgrading Lacy because they took Franklin also and now, in just a few days it appears all that is being turned upside down.

Have been picking up Harris where he was available on the WW since the draft expecting this was how things would play out. Harris is no threat to Lacy, but he should be a nice RB4 and would get a bump if Lacy were hurt.

IMO Franklin will never be a first-choice starter and probably won't ever be a first-choice role player. He just doesn't do anything well enough by NFL standards.

Lacy's value has been a rollercoaster. He went from being the heavy favorite for the 1.01 in rookie picks, to being the 4th RB drafted, to some valuing Franklin more than him, to the fat picture, to a report that "Franklin appears to be the guy", to this.

I don't think his value is back to where it was pre-draft, but it's close.

He's my runaway #1 rookie at this point. I'm hearing all the things I want to from the coaches, which mostly amounts to "good in pass protection" and "3 down back." I already knew he had talent running.

With a HC that's shown in the past that when he has a RB he trusts in those two situations, he will quite happily get him 300+ touches, and one of the highest-powered offenses in the league to get him plenty of redzone ops, I think he has the highest floor and highest ceiling.

Will now also begin targeting him aggressively in redrafts, after Ridley/MJD/Bush, but ahead of the likes of Gore, McFadden, Miller, and Sproles (non ppr Sproles).

He's my runaway #1 rookie at this point. I'm hearing all the things I want to from the coaches, which mostly amounts to "good in pass protection" and "3 down back." I already knew he had talent running.

With a HC that's shown in the past that when he has a RB he trusts in those two situations, he will quite happily get him 300+ touches, and one of the highest-powered offenses in the league to get him plenty of redzone ops, I think he has the highest floor and highest ceiling.
I don't see how his floor is higher than Bell's.

Will now also begin targeting him aggressively in redrafts, after Ridley/MJD/Bush, but ahead of the likes of Gore, McFadden, Miller, and Sproles (non ppr Sproles).
So you're going to take a rookie that doesn't even have a guaranteed starting job with a horrible offensive line over somebody who is guaranteed the starting job and/or a veteran with a proven track record of being fantasy relevant?

If you see the same characteristics and opportunity and level of competition in both, and don't think Lacy's situation and offense sets the bar higher for him, then adjust your bar accordingly. I think those things do set his bar higher. Bell is my #2, but for me, the delineation is clear. :shrug: It's an opinion based hobby.

Looking more and more like the Lacy show all of a sudden.

Funny how that happens. Everyone gravitated towards Ball and Bell and thought they would be the clear guys while downgrading Lacy because they took Franklin also and now, in just a few days it appears all that is being turned upside down.
Lacy may pass Ball but here is no chance he is drafted before Bell.

No, I think Bell ends the preseason as the highest ADP rookie back, with Lacy creeping up but never catching him.

Which I think will have a lot to do with the Steeler mystique as a franchise that's going to produce a lot of cloud-of-dust old school bellcow RB's, together with the GB recent tendency to go committee and rely heavily on the pass. I happen to think that misses the boat, and ignores McCarthy's history from when he actually had RB's he felt good relying on, but perception is reality.

Bell will usually go higher, but I'll take Lacy.

Wouldn't exactly weep to get stuck with either guy, though.

No, I think Bell ends the preseason as the highest ADP rookie back, with Lacy creeping up but never catching him.

Which I think will have a lot to do with the Steeler mystique as a franchise that's going to produce a lot of cloud-of-dust old school bellcow RB's, together with the GB recent tendency to go committee and rely heavily on the pass. I happen to think that misses the boat, and ignores McCarthy's history from when he actually had RB's he felt good relying on, but perception is reality.

Bell will usually go higher, but I'll take Lacy.

Wouldn't exactly weep to get stuck with either guy, though.
I don't understand that perception these days. We don't live in the Jerome Bettis era anymore. The Steelers aren't really a ground team. Haley isn't a ground attack offensive mind.

Certain teams seem to have an ingrained identity though. Like the Bears. When have they ever been a passing juggernaut? When you think of their style, you think of a good running game and defense. Same with the Steelers. They seem to naturally gravitate towards that way of playing the game.

As for Lacy vs. Franklin, it never totally made sense to me why Franklin was going so high in rookie drafts when Lacy looked like the favorite to beat him out. I think his reputation was inflated pre-draft and that some people clung onto that a bit too tight. I also think the Packer factor and the allure of getting the potential starting RB for an explosive offense was partially at fault. If Lacy and Franklin had been picked in the exact same spots in the NFL draft by the Jets or Cardinals, I wonder where they would've gone in rookie drafts.

Users who are viewing this thread