What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Thoughts on Lacy vs. Franklin (1 Viewer)

Certain teams seem to have an ingrained identity though. Like the Bears. When have they ever been a passing juggernaut? When you think of their style, you think of a good running game and defense. Same with the Steelers. They seem to naturally gravitate towards that way of playing the game.

As for Lacy vs. Franklin, it never totally made sense to me why Franklin was going so high in rookie drafts when Lacy looked like the favorite to beat him out. I think his reputation was inflated pre-draft and that some people clung onto that a bit too tight. I also think the Packer factor and the allure of getting the potential starting RB for an explosive offense was partially at fault. If Lacy and Franklin had been picked in the exact same spots in the NFL draft by the Jets or Cardinals, I wonder where they would've gone in rookie drafts.
That's probably true regarding Franklin. Right before the draft there was a strong push to talk Franklin up as the best all-around rb in the draft and I think people started thinking of this guy that COULD do enough to win the job and also stay on the field and catch all those screen passes, etc. Maybe they envisioned Ahman Green.

From Rotoworld:

The Journal-Sentinel says Johnathan Franklin's best chance to be active on gamedays is as a third-down back or returner.
This comes on the heels of a report that Franklin hasn't shown any "wow" factor at camp. He's going to make the final 53-man roster, but being on the 45-man gameday roster could be another story. DuJuan Harris, Eddie Lacy and John Kuhn are all better in pass protection. Franklin has reportedly appeared raw as a kickoff returner.

Running backs coach Alex Van Pelt said Eddie Lacy "stands out (in) pass protection."
Lacy (hamstring) returned to practice Wednesday and was the second running back through the team drills, behind DuJuan Harris. Van Pelt made these comments after Lacy "won every snap" in pass pro work. It's yet another reason we fully expect the second-round rookie to win the starting job, get the majority of carries and earn the goal-line work. Lacy has had an outstanding camp and looks "born to run in" the Packers' scheme, according to the Journal-Sentinel.

Fourth-round RB Johnathan Franklin reportedly hasn't shown any "wow" factor in Packers camp yet.
Per the Journal-Sentinel, Franklin has "struggled making headway between the tackles" and "has been adequate, not special, as a pass blocker." It's possible that he'll end up losing third-down duties to DuJuan Harris, who showed well as a pass protector late last season. Franklin managed 14 yards on six carries in Green Bay's preseason opener. He has the look of a mere change-up back right now.
Wow! Not making the gameday roster would be a punch in the stomach. Of course, how would Franklin carve out much of a role as a 3rd down back if he's relatively weak at pass protection? So the analysis there is a bit suspect.

But there's even talk that Kuhn may get cut. Things change fast in training camp. This is defintely shaping up to look like people out-thought themselves and tried to be too clever.

But then again, all it takes is for Lacy's hamstring to nag and Franklin could be right back into the mix.

The good news for Lacy is that with passable receiving and solid pass blocking skills, he could be shaping up as a real three down back. In this offense, that could be a huge bump in value. He might push the rest of the backs into more of a "spell the starter for a few plays" role rather than into any RBBC niche where they can actually count on a fair number of touches.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Rotoworld:

The Journal-Sentinel says Johnathan Franklin's best chance to be active on gamedays is as a third-down back or returner.
This comes on the heels of a report that Franklin hasn't shown any "wow" factor at camp. He's going to make the final 53-man roster, but being on the 45-man gameday roster could be another story. DuJuan Harris, Eddie Lacy and John Kuhn are all better in pass protection. Franklin has reportedly appeared raw as a kickoff returner.

Running backs coach Alex Van Pelt said Eddie Lacy "stands out (in) pass protection."
Lacy (hamstring) returned to practice Wednesday and was the second running back through the team drills, behind DuJuan Harris. Van Pelt made these comments after Lacy "won every snap" in pass pro work. It's yet another reason we fully expect the second-round rookie to win the starting job, get the majority of carries and earn the goal-line work. Lacy has had an outstanding camp and looks "born to run in" the Packers' scheme, according to the Journal-Sentinel.

Fourth-round RB Johnathan Franklin reportedly hasn't shown any "wow" factor in Packers camp yet.
Per the Journal-Sentinel, Franklin has "struggled making headway between the tackles" and "has been adequate, not special, as a pass blocker." It's possible that he'll end up losing third-down duties to DuJuan Harris, who showed well as a pass protector late last season. Franklin managed 14 yards on six carries in Green Bay's preseason opener. He has the look of a mere change-up back right now.
Wow! Not making the gameday roster would be a punch in the stomach. Of course, how would Franklin carve out much of a role as a 3rd down back if he's relatively weak at pass protection? So the analysis there is a bit suspect.

But there's even talk that Kuhn may get cut. Things change fast in training camp. This is defintely shaping up to look like people out-thought themselves and tried to be too clever.

But then again, all it takes is for Lacy's hamstring to nag and Franklin could be right back into the mix.

The good news for Lacy is that with passable receiving and solid pass blocking skills, he could be shaping up as a real three down back. In this offense, that could be a huge bump in value. He might push the rest of the backs into more of a "spell the starter for a few plays" role rather than into any RBBC niche where they can actually count on a fair number of touches.
I don't think it's a punch in the stomach at all. He's a 4th round pick. How many 4th round picks (and later) end up being inactive on game day their rookie year? Probably a decent chunk.

BTW, nobody should have ever expected him to start in 2013, whether Lacy is healthy or not. Again, he's a 4th round pick.

Always draft the more talented guy. I think it was obvious to most that Lacy was more talented. He was drafted earlier, has a higher ceiling and had it not been for the toe that scared teams off I think he would have been the first RB drafted in the NFL draft.

I drafted Lacy in my draft and passed on taking Franklin earlier then he went. I was not going to waste a pick on Franklin as I felt lacy was the superior player.

Even in such a small sample of yesterday's preseason action. It is quite apparent that Lacy has all the tools to be a bell cow 3 down RB at the NFL level.

I have been defending Lacy for a good while. What makes Lacy such a good prospect is he possesses all the tools that allow him to have a ceiling of a great player. He has the skills and talents you can't teach.

Barring injury there are going to be a lot of teams that are not happy they passed on him in the NFL.

Benson was doing pretty well here last season before his injury. At this point Lacy is probably more talented than a 30 year old Benson, so we can probably expect even better from him. He's shaping up to be a nice value pick in redraft, where people are often gunshy about taking a chance on a rookie.

Benson was doing pretty well here last season before his injury. At this point Lacy is probably more talented than a 30 year old Benson, so we can probably expect even better from him. He's shaping up to be a nice value pick in redraft, where people are often gunshy about taking a chance on a rookie.
The problem is after last night, he lost a ton of value as you won't be able to get him as late as you could have.

Franklin's been dead for quite awhile -- the guy Lacy is killing off right now is Harris. I was thinking they'd be in a timeshare where lacy was a FF#2 and Harris was a FF#3/4 but Lacy is looking like he may be harder to get off the field than I thought.

(Rotoworld)The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel says rookie Johnathan Franklin's game "hasn't fit well in the NFL" through two preseason games and training camp.Analysis: Per beat writer Bob McGinn, Franklin "can't get out of neutral" as his 2.56 YPC average in the preseason suggests. "He looks like his numbers," a personnel man said. "He's not a real impressive guy. He plays small, and he doesn't play fast. ... If you didn't know he was a draft pick, you'd think he was a free agent." Franklin has been "only adequate" in pass protection, and struggled on kick returns. He may open his rookie year without a role on offense.

(Rotoworld)The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel says rookie Johnathan Franklin's game "hasn't fit well in the NFL" through two preseason games and training camp.Analysis: Per beat writer Bob McGinn, Franklin "can't get out of neutral" as his 2.56 YPC average in the preseason suggests. "He looks like his numbers," a personnel man said. "He's not a real impressive guy. He plays small, and he doesn't play fast. ... If you didn't know he was a draft pick, you'd think he was a free agent." Franklin has been "only adequate" in pass protection, and struggled on kick returns. He may open his rookie year without a role on offense.
This is what I posted in the Pro Day thread:

He'll be a good 3rd down back. He's elusive, good in the open field and breaks more tackles than you'd expect, but he can't do anything up the middle without a gaping hole.

In theory they could have had Lacy as their RB 2 and Frankln as their RB 3 on their board. Just so happens Franklin fell, in this case their "opinion" of the players may be darn near identical.
actually..........in theory they could have had Franklin rated higher but knew they could get him later....
Come on.

Franklin could very well turn out to be better, but come on. No one could possibly beleive that and if it ws true Thompson should be fired.
having a feel for how the rest of the league values players is a huge part of any draft....
It isn't a fantasy football draft where they have ADP stats. They may have some idea of where players are expected to go, but to think that an NFL GM passes up a RB to take another RB he likes less, hoping to get his preferred RB later in the draft is :shock: and perhaps a little :tinfoilhat: .
I do not think it is silly. NFL teams have members of their staff who are 24/7 scouting the other teams tendencies, the players those teams visit with, the players they drafted, the players they brought in as UDFA and keep a running score on all of their competition.

To think they don't I think is silly.

Now I do not think a team lets this influence their draft board. I think those are 2 separate processes of evaluation being done by completely different members of their staff. But on draft day it is a collaborative effort.

I also think NFL teams are more frank with each other when discussing trades and also sharing some information about their scouting of the other teams when they do. Of course they keep some secrets as well (unless they are the Cowgirls).

CBS is reporting that Harris practiced with the 1's today and that will continue through the third pre season game. McCarthy is also quoted as saying that Lacy played well but he needs to "clean up details of his work".

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel hints Packers fourth-round RB Johnathan Franklin's roster spot isn't assured.
Beat writer Tom Silverstein believes Franklin "had to show something" in Thursday's preseason finale to secure his spot. Franklin gained just 23 yards on eight carries, but per Silverstein, he "followed his blocks better." Franklin has been one of the biggest busts of the summer, but we highly doubt the Packers will throw in the towel so quickly.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Aug 30 - 12:24 PM

ESPN confirms fourth-round RB Johnathan Franklin "doesn't look ready to contribute."

Through three preseason games, Franklin is averaging a pathetic 1.85 YPC on 24 carries. He's also been thoroughly unimpressive in practice and struggled as a kickoff returner. Even with DuJuan Harris going down, Franklin is off the re-draft radar. He's behind Alex Green and battling with James Starks on the depth chart.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 28 - 8:31 AM

Franklin's career in trouble?

http://football6.myfantasyleague.com/2014/view_news_article?L=28782&ID=910647KFFL

"(KFFL)Green Bay Packers RB Johnathan Franklin (neck) has missed all offseason activities with a lingering neck injury. The team is reportedly concerned that the injury may be career-threatening. Franklin ended last season on Injured Reserve."

What exactly is the injury?
Rotoworld (and others):

Packers RB Johnathan Franklin's neck injury is career ending.

Speaking Thursday, coach Mike McCarthy said Franklin would "not be back with us," and Franklin took to Twitter a short time later to confirm his career is over. He's expected to be waived/injured on Friday. Franklin was injured on a Week 12 kickoff last season. Considered one of the very top backs in last year's draft, Franklin operated as a change-of-pace runner as a rookie, notching 23 touches in 11 games. Franklin is only 24 years old. His injury calls to mind Jahvid Best's, and is just the latest reminder of the toll football can take on the human body. Jun 19 - 3:10 PM

Users who are viewing this thread