What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Myles Garrett needs to be permanently suspended (1 Viewer)

What he did was pretty horrifying to be honest. This is what "play until just after the whistle" results in. Hot tempers and bad decisions. 

Garrett doesn't deserve the priviledge of playing a kids game for a job. He should be gone. 

I'm just glad Garrett was about as accurate as Rudolph was all night 

Last edited by a moderator:
Im the 3rd person in this thread who didn't see it happen live and saw the video this morning and didn't think it was "perma-ban" worthy. Perhaps its a heat of the moment thing? That being said, hitting a guy with a helmet deserves a rest of season suspension. Also, nobody seems to be talking about that player who injured Diontae Johnson. That was a disgusting hit. What a dirty team.

Im the 3rd person in this thread who didn't see it happen live and saw the video this morning and didn't think it was "perma-ban" worthy. Perhaps its a heat of the moment thing? That being said, hitting a guy with a helmet deserves a rest of season suspension. Also, nobody seems to be talking about that player who injured Diontae Johnson. That was a disgusting hit. What a dirty team.
The thing is: if he connects with the helmet properly we are talking potential lethal/major injury. Those helmets are heavy!

The thing is: if he connects with the helmet properly we are talking potential lethal/major injury. Those helmets are heavy!
https://www.footballzebras.com/2009/10/referee-needs-reconstrutive-sugery-after-postgame-assault-at-w-ny-semipro-game/

I know this was a ref, so it's different in that regard, but here's the kind of damage he could have done.

Referee Peter McCabe is recuperating from a vicious attack at the conclusion of a North American Football League game on Saturday in Rochester, N.Y. McCabe was allegedly assaulted by a player from the Western New York Cougars, who, according to reports, pummeled the referee with the player’s helmet.

McCabe’s nose was detached with most of his facial bones broken. His alleged assailant, Leon Woods, is in prison on $10,000 bail, charged today with first-degree assault.
Later sentenced to 10 years in prison.  He's lucky he did not connect properly.

If you figure Kareem Hunt lost about a year of his career for video emerging of him kicking a woman...I’d suspect Garrett could be looking at something similar.

People are bringing up Haynesworth.  That happened 13 years ago when the NFL barely acknowledged concussions.  

There's no place in the game for what Garrett did and he absolutely deserves a lengthy suspension, that said Rudolph is not without fault here and should face suspension as well. 

NFL Network guys sort of walking back their defense of Garrett, but there's still a lot of "I don't condone what he did, but......." going on

Awful situation and will likely be addressed by league office today... 

My take from the limited clips I saw is that there is multiple punishments to be handed... Garrett the most severe...  8 games & hefty fine would be appropriate IMO. 

The behavior of Pitt OL Pouncy was also inappropriate and he should be held accountable (2 games).  Throwing punches and kicking a guy who is being held down?  Really? 

But the thing I am having a hard time understanding is that Mason Rudolph was the instigator in this whole event... and yet he is being hailed as a hero for standing up to Garrett after the incident.  I think Rudolph should be fined for his actions as well.. no suspension.  But his actions need to be addressed as well and he attempted to rip of Garrett's helmet first.  

The League Office will probably come down heavy on Garrett because of the "potential" harm his actions could have had.  But they all should be held accountable.  

Awful situation and will likely be addressed by league office today... 

My take from the limited clips I saw is that there is multiple punishments to be handed... Garrett the most severe...  8 games & hefty fine would be appropriate IMO. 

The behavior of Pitt OL Pouncy was also inappropriate and he should be held accountable (2 games).  Throwing punches and kicking a guy who is being held down?  Really? 

But the thing I am having a hard time understanding is that Mason Rudolph was the instigator in this whole event... and yet he is being hailed as a hero for standing up to Garrett after the incident.  I think Rudolph should be fined for his actions as well.. no suspension.  But his actions need to be addressed as well and he attempted to rip of Garrett's helmet first.  

The League Office will probably come down heavy on Garrett because of the "potential" harm his actions could have had.  But they all should be held accountable.  
Yup. It was ugly and took more than one to tango and escalate. 

These takes that Rudolph was the instigator are wild. Lots of my Browns fans friends saying Rudolph deserves a 2+ game suspension.  :loco:

Yup. It was ugly and took more than one to tango and escalate. 
Agree....  from the reports, it was a bad night for the Pitt OL and Rudolph was fed up with it and the OL defended him and they all got carried away.   Something like 4 sacks and 9 knockdowns?  Not surprised they had enough with the game out of hand at the end of the game...  Why was Clev Def/DC trying to end with a statement when the game was in the hand!?!? 

Oh yeah.. Schwartz!! 

These takes that Rudolph was the instigator are wild. Lots of my Browns fans friends saying Rudolph deserves a 2+ game suspension.  :loco:
Not my take....  but a slight fine for his trying to rip of Garrett's helmet when the play was over to recognize his involvement in the incident.  He is not innocent. 

Rudolph shouldn't/isn't going to get suspended, but future opponents are watching that film and seeing that you can get in his head and he'll break down. Last night was the beginning of the end for him.

Monster like Garrett hitting someone in the head like that with a helmet. He could've killed him. Guy should never be allowed in the football field again. 

Does anyone want to mention Rudolph's neck could have been broken when his helmet was removed? His whole head and body was furiously lifted off the ground.

It's just pathetic that Rudolph is even a topic of discussion for having anything to do with something this heinous. Really shows where we're at right now. Awful. 

I don't think that play was disgusting, but he also should have been tossed. If that makes sense. Just the nature of today's game, league has made a focused effort to get those hits out of the game. As they should. 

I don't think that play was disgusting, but he also should have been tossed. If that makes sense. Just the nature of today's game, league has made a focused effort to get those hits out of the game. As they should. 
I thought the play was disgusting, but I haven't thought much of Cleveland's bunch this year in terms of class and dirtiness, so take with a grain of salt.

Were we watching the same game?

Agree....  from the reports, it was a bad night for the Pitt OL and Rudolph was fed up with it and the OL defended him and they all got carried away.   Something like 4 sacks and 9 knockdowns?  Not surprised they had enough with the game out of hand at the end of the game...  Why was Clev Def/DC trying to end with a statement when the game was in the hand!?!? 

Oh yeah.. Schwartz!! 
Why was the Pitt O/OC trying to throw the ball, down by 14 when the game was over?  You want the defense to not play, but the offense should?  That's ridiculous.  If the offense is going to try to run plays, the defense is going to defend them.  If Pitt doesn't want Cle to "end with a statement," then they should kneel out the clock.  But if they decide to drop back & throw, they don't get to be upset that Cleveland played defense.

• Smile
Reactions: OPS
Why was the Pitt O/OC trying to throw the ball, down by 14 when the game was over?  You want the defense to not play, but the offense should?  That's ridiculous.  If the offense is going to try to run plays, the defense is going to defend them.  If Pitt doesn't want Cle to "end with a statement," then they should kneel out the clock.  But if they decide to drop back & throw, they don't get to be upset that Cleveland played defense.
Fair enough...  good point.  But with 8 seconds left?  

Does anyone want to mention Rudolph's neck could have been broken when his helmet was removed? His whole head and body was furiously lifted off the ground.
no, everything that happened up until Garrett swung the helmet is stuff that happens in football games. 

You can't have some 270 lb. guy swinging what is essentially a weapon at the head of an unhelmeted person. Should be criminal charges from this.
Even when that guy was trying to rip Garrett's helmet off first, then two other guys going after him, including the guy with no helmet?  

He will get suspended but this was certainly not unprovoked.

Calling for a permanent suspension is a joke.  The crowd of guys swinging and kicking Garrett when he was on the ground deserve permanent bans more than he does.  

It's just pathetic that Rudolph is even a topic of discussion for having anything to do with something this heinous. Really shows where we're at right now. Awful. 
The instigator should never be ignored in a brawl like this.  The followup actions are escalated due to their actions.  Everybody deserves to be held accountable for their actions.  If you feel otherwise, I certainly hope you never serve on a jury.  

He WAS the instigator.  That's not a question.  He got pissed because Garrett hit him after he'd thrown the ball, he tried to rip Garrett's helmet off, and he kicked him.  All this happened BEFORE Garret yanked Rudolph's helmet off and hit him with it.  If Garrett had walked away after the kick, I could see Rudolph getting a fine, but a suspension would have been surprising.  Knowing what it led to, who knows?

Talk about an overreaction. 

I went to sleep before the end of the game, woke up and saw the replay of this and so perhaps I was not as emotionally charged as some. 

The guy who should be perma-banned is POUNCEY-PUNK

He kicked the helmet of Garrett while he was on the ground not once not twice but like 3 times because he graduated from the Aaron Hernandez School of Hard Knocks so if anyone is getting banned for life, it's him. 

I have no idea what transpired, I see Garrett ripped the helmet off, that alone is suspension. He then tries to hit him with it, that will be a suspension on top. I'm just saying multiple games perhaps but they're not going to ban him for life on the last play of a Pittsburgh-Cleveland Game no less with a lot of bad blood. 

Maybe Mike Tomlin should have just handed it off with 8 seconds left and down 21-7, game was over!

Can I get anyone some eggs n coffee while I head to the kitchen? Some chill pills maybe?
Go back to bed

-Aikman said barbaric and some fruit loop on the morning NFLN show was clutching his rosary beads...fights happen all the time in practice, training camp, we've seen this happen just not on the last play of a prime time NFL game. 
I’ve been watching the NFL since the 60s and have seen plenty of dirty plays but I’ve never seen a defender rio the helmet off a QBs head and hit him with it.

its fortunate that it was a glancing blow but the optics are not good.  If the NFL allows Garrett  to play this season they are confirming they are a league of thugs and don’t care about player safety.  

Pouncey should be suspended a few games too

Or caved in his skull with the helmet. 
Caved in his skull???  Wow there is an incredibly overblown idea of how dangerous a helmet is.  It's not a battle axe.  It's not a sledgehammer.  Geeze.  Caved in his skull???  He actually DID hit him, and Rudolph is unharmed.

Thinking those helmets are just a bit more dangerous when players are wearing them and hit other players while wearing them.  Just saying.

Again Garrett will get suspended but this is going to be blown out of proportion from all angles for a while.

It is at a minimum aggravated assault. There is an argument that a solid hit with that helmet kills or causes lasting damage, especially when being swung by a dude as big and strong as Garrett. It deserves a long suspension. I would guess beyond the season. 6 games doesn’t seem like enough. I do agree that if the QB was a bigger name, we would be talking indefinite suspension.

i also think Pouncy needs a game or two. As a matter of course a few others in that game deserve a handful of games.

I’ve been watching the NFL since the 60s and have seen plenty of dirty plays but I’ve never seen a defender rio the helmet off a QBs head and hit him with it.

its fortunate that it was a glancing blow but the optics are not good.  If the NFL allows Garrett  to play this season they are confirming they are a league of thugs and don’t care about player safety.  

agreed. 

Same point remains: why was Pitt trying to throw at that point, when they're 83 yards from their end zone, and down by 2 TDs?
Because that’s what illogical NFL head coaches do for some odd reason.  

I haven’t seen the Browns a whole lot this year, but I caught one of their games mostly in full and Garrett had two positively dirty plays while I was watching.  Seems like he’s got a screw loose right two.  Rest of the season suspension seems about right, though I wouldn’t at all argue with 16 full games.

Some in this thread have lost their damn minds. Blaming Rudolph and/or the Steelers for throwing at the end of the game. Keep defending the criminal garrett, good lord some people. No clue.

Caved in his skull???  Wow there is an incredibly overblown idea of how dangerous a helmet is.  It's not a battle axe.  It's not a sledgehammer.  Geeze.  Caved in his skull???  He actually DID hit him, and Rudolph is unharmed.

Thinking those helmets are just a bit more dangerous when players are wearing them and hit other players while wearing them.  Just saying.

Again Garrett will get suspended but this is going to be blown out of proportion from all angles for a while.
You are so wrong.  See my post above on the last page.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/781971-myles-garrett-needs-to-be-permanently-suspended/?do=findComment&comment=22305465

Pouncey 2 games for kicking.  I was OK with all that until he started kicking the guy.

Garrett should get this season +4  next season but somehow the NFL will only give him 4 and fine.

Rest of guys involved just $$$

Will be interesting to see NFL's decisions on all of this and then them justifying it.  Must see TV.

And then we all forget the hit on DJ...that should be another game or two for that hit.  Game was ugly for concussions last night.  Leading with the crown of the helmet is back and in style for the Brownies

Antonio Smith yanked Richie Incognito's helmet off and swung it at him a few years back.  Didn't connect, but he tried.  He got 3 games (2 pre-season and one regular season game).  I'd imagine Garrett will get at least twice that (made contact, it was a QB, not an OL he hit/swung at, etc). 

Antonio Smith yanked Richie Incognito's helmet off and swung it at him a few years back.  Didn't connect, but he tried.  He got 3 games (2 pre-season and one regular season game).  I'd imagine Garrett will get at least twice that (made contact, it was a QB, not an OL he hit/swung at, etc). 
It's also Richie Incognito. He's not going to evoke many empathetic feelings. 

He WAS the instigator.  That's not a question.  He got pissed because Garrett hit him after he'd thrown the ball, he tried to rip Garrett's helmet off, and he kicked him.  All this happened BEFORE Garret yanked Rudolph's helmet off and hit him with it.  If Garrett had walked away after the kick, I could see Rudolph getting a fine, but a suspension would have been surprising.  Knowing what it led to, who knows?
 No, he was not the instigator. I don’t think that Garrett hit him all that late, but he certainly took extra effort to wrap him up and body slam him late. He then was all over Rudolph. Rudolph was wrong to wrap his arms around Garrett’s helmet and extra wrong to kick him, but IMO this was after Garrett had already gone well beyond normal play.

I understand why Browns fans want to be able to offload some of the blame to the Steelers, but this ugliness is on Garrett. The Browns have been playing dirty all year and had been playing dirty all game. Yeah, the Steelers have been dirty in the past and Ward and Harrison have no business weighing in, but this is all 2019 Browns to blame here.

Users who are viewing this thread